Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

Man things were bad enough for malls before the Corona virus. This will be probably be the final nail in the coffin for them. I can't imagine what all that real estate space will end up being used for in the future. Walmarts? Amazon warehouses?

turn them into schools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

SO DEMANDING posted:

from reddit, treehouse brewery in MA.

(crazy popular/hyped brewery that was among the first in the new england style IPA craze. you can only get their beer from the brewery, they don't even distribute to bars. known for having long as lines, people filling hand trucks full of cases of whatever they're selling that day. They make good beer but nothing is that good imo).

what am I even looking at

my brain keeps saying its a redneck urinal

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Philthy posted:

Dont talk about ur mom like that

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

i see your ear worm poison dance song and raise you one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV9u7VABwxg

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Philthy posted:

I mean you do eventually turn the beer into piss so it's kind of a urinal with extra steps

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Probably not. The electric ones are real pricy. They heat the water and blow dry your butt and probably have a better build quality than the $40 ones.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

My wife still wants to bring our feverish, sneezing toddler to her grandmother's 95th birthday party today. I made the argument that it would be a bad idea when we weren't in a pandemic but soon came to realize that she probably lusts for old lady death.

If she's in a home they may not let anyone in who is obviously sick. Most of them have policies that sick people aren't supposed to visit at the best of times, but they are getting really uptight about it right now.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Philthy posted:

That's the counter you buy beer from, with biohazard isolation as built by Red Green

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

poverty goat posted:

turn them into schools

Yeah but like I'm more interested in what they will ACTUALLY be turned into. I know it won't be anything good like a school or low income housing. So probably they will end up as luxury condos.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

poverty goat posted:

turn them into schools

That's what Austin community college is doing to some of the local malls around here converting them into community training centers

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

If she's in a home they may not let anyone in who is obviously sick. Most of them have policies that sick people aren't supposed to visit at the best of times, but they are getting really uptight about it right now.

A: she still insists on living at home alone, on the opposite side of the city from the entire family

B: she's actually 96 now

C: we didn't end up going

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Yeah I have pursueded my wife to go on lockdown. We have a kid in daycare and I am not sending him in. Basically my plan is to just wait 5 days and then only get in contact with people who have also been quarantined for that amount of time, basically getting ahead of the ineveitable lockdown. She can work from home and I am looking for a new computer toucher job.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/H1BjQKAuE2U

here’s a mall turned into apts

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/niubi/status/1238974530808315906?s=19

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

There's this irrational fear of employees not getting work done with distractions around but the truth is I can gently caress around at work just as well as at home. Me being in the office guarantees nothing except that I'm more tired from waking up earlier and more annoyed because I have to do a commute to get there.

Pretty sure there have been studies out there showing employees are happier and work harder when given more ability to telecommute.

There are a number of posts on r/childfree complaining of companies allowing people with kids to work from home, but not their non-parent co-workers performing the same duties. Never mind that kids would, on average, be way way way more distracting than pretty much anything lying around a typical household.

mrfart posted:

Here in Belgium the authorities had the 'political courage' to close bars and restaurants.
Turns out a whole bunch of assholes went right over the border to party in the Netherlands, where the government has been less strict up until now.
Similar poo poo happened at the french border.
Not easy taking measures like this in a country you can drive through in an hour.

Can they not restrict international travel? Does the "free travel" agreement that comes with EU membership make no exception for disease control? Or is that simply a matter of them being unable to set up so many checkpoints so quickly?

Facebook Aunt posted:

Probably not. The electric ones are real pricy. They heat the water and blow dry your butt and probably have a better build quality than the $40 ones.

The toilets with all that stuff built in generally go for about $4000-5000.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Is he like all those North Korean dudes that supposedly were killed and then unceremoniously reappear?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Has anyone checked his New Zealand bunker

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

bollig posted:

Yeah I have pursueded my wife to go on lockdown.

That's a fantastic misspelling.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Guildenstern Mother posted:

2 day mild headache, aches, and exhaustion with (probably) no fever yet isn't anything to worry about right?

Nurge posted:

You're fine. Get worried if you get breathing difficulties or other serious respiratory poo poo.

I just wanna add GET SOME SLEEP. Lack of a full night's sleep depresses your immune system. Go to bed early, sleep until you aren't tired. Stay hydrated. Obviously this isn't a magic bullet but don't push yourself like you might otherwise be inclined to do and just try and relax and recover if you're feeling aches or exhaustion.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Huskalator posted:

Ok but that has nothing to do with whether surgical masks offer some form of protection.

If surgical masks offer "some" protection, so do scarves. And balaclavas. And bandanas. And water jug on head, but people would probably make fun of that too. Heck, a scarf type thing probably offers more protection than a surgical mask, because it covers more of your head.

Peeps don't have to cough in your mouth. If people cough on your hair and then you touch your hair and rub your eyes, bam, you've got the roni. If you're healthy but worried enough to wear surgical masks, then you should be worried enough to shower several times a day. Oh, and those disposable surgical masks? Yeah, you need to change them every 30 minutes or they are much less effective. Strapping a contaminated mask to your face is much worse than doing nothing. So I hope you bought enough to go through 30 a day.

Some sort of fabric scarf is probably a greener and easier choice if you're doing it "just in case" for "some" protection. Buying 10 or 20 scarves is easy. Every half hour or hour or whatever makes you feel safe tear it off and put it and any accumulated virus particles in a sealed bag and put on a clean one. At the end of the day throw your bag of plague scarves (and the clothes you wore outside) into the laundry with soap and maybe bleach, and they'll be ready and safe to reuse tomorrow.

Nice low cost option, probably just as useful as a surgical mask, maybe more.

Looking good Bob.

Way better coverage than a puny surgical mask.

Awesome coverage, and I bet all those fuzzy tentacles would be great at intercepting droplets before they get near your holes.

God tier. Look how many layers a droplet would have to pass through! If weather permits this is the way to go.

Gotta get that eye pro. Somebody sneezes in your eye you're dead.

Looking manly there Doug.

Even better coverage. Scarfs are so versatile!

Nice wrapping technique, but this many has clearly already succumbed to Roni Eye.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Cockmaster posted:

Can they not restrict international travel? Does the "free travel" agreement that comes with EU membership make no exception for disease control? Or is that simply a matter of them being unable to set up so many checkpoints so quickly?

The government thought a total lock down would be unnecessary with the closing of bars/restaurants, all events, non-essential shops in weekends etc...
but as you said, locking down a country like belgium is impossible anyway. It’s basically a chaotic traffic hub, connected to the countries around it by an endless network of roads.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/amazinace/status/1238930441119379458

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

There's this irrational fear of employees not getting work done with distractions around but the truth is I can gently caress around at work just as well as at home. Me being in the office guarantees nothing except that I'm more tired from waking up earlier and more annoyed because I have to do a commute to get there.

Pretty sure there have been studies out there showing employees are happier and work harder when given more ability to telecommute.

I've had arguments with otherwise-rational peers in the management team at my company about this over the past few days. They are afraid that when their team is inevitably allowed to go remote they will be unresponsive and get no work done, and projects will fall behind. I asked if they noticed a pattern where less-productive team members were magically made more productive merely by in-person attendance, or if those people had to be poked and prodded just as much when working in the office.

I think what I've concluded is that managers put too much stock in the effectiveness of their constant badgering, and equate it with productivity.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23498357

quote:

FINDINGS:
Live influenza virus was measurable from the air behind all surgical masks tested. The data indicate that a surgical mask will reduce exposure to aerosolised infectious influenza virus; reductions ranged from 1.1- to 55-fold (average 6-fold), depending on the design of the mask.

And yes, cloth will help(a little):

https://academic.oup.com/annweh/article/54/7/789/202744

Not trying to gloat but for the love of god just THINK and use your brain.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

quote:

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump has tested negative for the coronavirus, according to a statement from the White House.
Trump took the test on Friday, he said during a Saturday news conference, after coming into recent contact with two individuals who have tested positive for the virus.
"Last night after an in-depth discussion with the President regarding COVID-19 testing, he elected to proceed," according to the statement about the results released by press secretary Stephanie Grisham with Trump's permission. "One week after having dinner with the Brazilian delegation in Mar-a-Lago, the President remains symptom-free. I have been in daily contact with the CDC and White House Coronavirus Task Force, and we are encouraging the implementation of all their best practices for exposure reduction and transmission mitigation."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/14/politics/trump-press-conference-coronavirus/index.html

lol

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
There was a tweet posted here sometime in the last 24hrs of an interview with a guy talking about the Chinese medical response to the virus and how systematic it was. I can't find it now, does anyone have it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1238604080571772928

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

the virus... is coming from inside the white house!!!

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/jpbrammer/status/1238564824721829889

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like if we tried in this country to do half of what he is talking about there would be violence.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like if we tried in this country to do half of what he is talking about there would be violence.

Probably.

We won’t though so people that shouldn’t have died will die.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/davcarretta/status/1238791068071661568?s=19

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...#gid=2086998835

Here is a link to lots of useful info on COVID-19.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
this goes out to all our fallen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx2rW78uuw4

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

stop touching your face.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

lofi posted:

stop touching your face.

Does this include penis?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Burt Sexual posted:

Does this include penis?

Do u want it to

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Rachel Maddow: Orange man bad!

Smart science dude: Well yes, but also you bad too. Me not confirm your bad idea. Here good idea.

Rachel Maddow: :O

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
There are probably more people trading with toilet paper as a currency right now than Bitcoin.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

happyhippy posted:

There are probably more people trading with toilet paper as a currency right now than Bitcoin.

shitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

poo poo-ticket