Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Lambert posted:

Firefox Preview is a new completely rebuilt version of Firefox Mobile that hasn't supported extensions until now.

Oh right. Not gaslighted, just :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Double Punctuation posted:

Great! My work’s scheduling software is on some obsolete garbage, so Firefox now refuses to connect.

Don't worry, Chrome will be making the same change to disable obsolete encryption in its next release so that should prompt them to fix it. In the mean time you can use Chrome or Edge or whatever.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
There's already a button to add an exception on the error page for a site that uses TLS 1.0 or 1.1

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

It was so drat good.

It would not only highlight all the instances of your search, it would even put little markers in the scrollbar so you could see whereabouts on the page the terms appeared.

So much has been lost to us :corsair:

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I don't like it when my web browser lies to me

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Booourns posted:

I don't like it when my web browser lies to me

Does the container not do what it says on the tin (heh)?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Does the container not do what it says on the tin (heh)?

The page that shows that banner has analytics by a company that collects even more data and doesn't have an official addon. On a completely unrelated note, Google pays Mozilla hundreds of millions dollars to be the default search engine.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

MikusR posted:

The page that shows that banner has analytics by a company that collects even more data and doesn't have an official addon. On a completely unrelated note, Google pays Mozilla hundreds of millions dollars to be the default search engine.

Did Yahoo! lose the contract? I haven't followed that closely.

e: Aha, it changed again back in 2017. And, naturally, they sued each other:
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/11/14/firefox-features-google-as-default-search-provider-in-the-u-s-canada-hong-kong-and-taiwan/
https://www.pcmag.com/news/mozilla-yahoo-sue-each-other-over-firefoxs-default-search

astral fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 11, 2020

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Newest Firefox Preview on Android now includes uBlock Origin, making the browser usable. Huzzah.

I see you can move the toolbar to the top now. That's good. I disliked it being always visible at the bottom instead of hiding itself when scrolling when at the top position.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Newest Firefox Preview on Android now includes uBlock Origin, making the browser usable. Huzzah.

OhFunny posted:

I see you can move the toolbar to the top now. That's good. I disliked it being always visible at the bottom instead of hiding itself when scrolling when at the top position.

Good to hear, those were the two main complaints I had with it. I guess I'll have to give it another whirl.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
What determines the title saved for awesomebar results, and is there something weird with how it handles HTTPS sites?

Somehow my history result for the forums control panel has renamed itself "c" and refuses to change even though the title when the page is loaded is normal. It used to be that it would just never update after my username changed, but now it's complete garbage.

Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but I want to know why the hell this happens.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Is there a reason firefox needed to make another mobile browser? Firefox Mobile seems fine.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Freakazoid_ posted:

Is there a reason firefox needed to make another mobile browser? Firefox Mobile seems fine.

They have a bunch of employees that cant fix or make the hard stuff and want to put that on their google-pipeline resume?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Freakazoid_ posted:

The new one is much faster on at least some websites, like Twitter. Firefox Mobile was slower than the official app while Firefox Preview feels about as fast and blocks all their tracking poo poo.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Freakazoid_ posted:

Preview will eventually be the main firefox on android. They forked it off to do development.

Main firefox for android is pretty slow. I use it about 50% of the time, and the only thing that keeps it barely competitive with chrome is ublock not loading ads. If I'm at home with my router-based adblock so chrome can also skip most ads, it is not even close.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I use Edge on Android because of its built-in adblock. Regular Firefox mobile feels so slow. So, in my book Preview is a very welcome improvement.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

What determines the title saved for awesomebar results, and is there something weird with how it handles HTTPS sites?

Somehow my history result for the forums control panel has renamed itself "c" and refuses to change even though the title when the page is loaded is normal. It used to be that it would just never update after my username changed, but now it's complete garbage.

Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but I want to know why the hell this happens.

Messed up bookmark or quick search?

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I'll switch from main Firefox on Android to Preview as soon as it supports Dark Reader, I kinda need it to minimize my eye strain issues.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

duz posted:

Messed up bookmark or quick search?

Ah, yep, I have it bookmarked and somehow edited the title. Thanks!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is it just me or does adblock not work nearly as well as it did say a few years ago? Lots of news websites are now filled with ads that ABP doesn't block or detect. Is there any alternative?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

icantfindaname posted:

Is it just me or does adblock not work nearly as well as it did say a few years ago? Lots of news websites are now filled with ads that ABP doesn't block or detect. Is there any alternative?

uBlock origin?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

icantfindaname posted:

adblock plus doesn't block ads if they get paid not to

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ItBreathes posted:

uBlock origin?

Malloc Voidstar posted:

adblock plus doesn't block ads if they get paid not to

Well, that solves it I guess

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

icantfindaname posted:

Ad block plus sold out to AN ADVERTISING COMPANY about 6 years ago - we all moved to uBlock origin a long time ago. Technology is better too.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Anyone here like Disconnect as well or is it just using my resources for no good reason?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Gorhill, the guy behind uBlock Origin, has done an astonishing amount of work to keep blocking in Firefox at its best, even doing part of the extension in webassembly to speed things up as well as implementing all the behind-the-scenes filtering that the add-on offers.
I'm fairly sure that once Google pulls their destroy-uBlock-Origin scissor switch and destroys the APIs used in favour of their newly-implemented and newer but neutered ones, that there'll be even more of a reason to recommend Firefox.
Dude deserves a lot of credit.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Severing posted:

Anyone here like Disconnect as well or is it just using my resources for no good reason?
Firefox built-in tracking protection uses the same block lists, so for me there's no point to it.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is there much point to running Privacy Badger on top of Firefox tracking protection?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Speaking of security extensions, is it still worth it to use HTTPS Everywhere or does Firefox default to using HTTPS whenever possible?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Probably not worth it but if you do, disable EASE because it interferes with uBO and uMatrix. Or switch to HTTPZ which doesn't modify CSP headers.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Splinter posted:

Is there much point to running Privacy Badger on top of Firefox tracking protection?

Do I know for sure? No. But its policies make basic sense. If something isn't on the tracking protection list, it might catch 'em. Actually, if it catches anything, isn't it catching stuff basic protection is missing anyway?

privacy badger web site posted:

Privacy Badger starts blocking once it sees the same tracker on three different websites. Three strikes and it's out! If you use other privacy tools or ad blockers, Privacy Badger will learn less, but that's OK, it might catch things your other blockers miss.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've got a Logitech G502, and since I got it (as far as I can remember) the tilt wheel has been able to switch tabs. I recently installed G Hub on my personal computer to try to get the same behavior (and working back/forward buttons) on my work Macbook (we can't install the software on the work laptop) to have the same behavior. Unfortunately, that didn't work. I've since uninstalled G Hub, but now my tilt wheel won't change tabs. Any ideas how to get that working again?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Since there is a lot of ad block chat in this thread, anyone have YouTube Premium or are considering it? Blocking terrible ads is any citizen's duty in my opinion but paying for content somehow is the only fair option. Avoiding payment through ad blocking, such as is possible with Spotify web player (ahem), is not really addressing the problem of ad funded content but rather just getting stuff for free.

Do content creators get paid as well as Google? Do you think the features are good value?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

hooah posted:

I've got a Logitech G502, and since I got it (as far as I can remember) the tilt wheel has been able to switch tabs. I recently installed G Hub on my personal computer to try to get the same behavior (and working back/forward buttons) on my work Macbook (we can't install the software on the work laptop) to have the same behavior. Unfortunately, that didn't work. I've since uninstalled G Hub, but now my tilt wheel won't change tabs. Any ideas how to get that working again?

Can you bind the keyboard hotkeys to them?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Ola posted:

Since there is a lot of ad block chat in this thread, anyone have YouTube Premium or are considering it? Blocking terrible ads is any citizen's duty in my opinion but paying for content somehow is the only fair option. Avoiding payment through ad blocking, such as is possible with Spotify web player (ahem), is not really addressing the problem of ad funded content but rather just getting stuff for free.

Do content creators get paid as well as Google? Do you think the features are good value?

What is it? I recall Youtube red being announced, but it wasn’t available in the UK.

My ad blocker removes all advertising on YouTube perfectly, and I don’t watch it too much anyway, so it’s not clear how I’d benefit. Or how much it costs.

If it was the case that my subscription bucks would *only* go to ok those channels I subscribe to, that would be a start, but I suspect that as with Spotify, subscription funds are instead being used to subsidise payments to the most popular teen pop starlets / minecraft streamers rather than only going to artists I listen to.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

MohShuvuu posted:

Can you bind the keyboard hotkeys to them?

Yeah, but the macros don't save to the mouse with the G Hub software. However, the older version (Logitech Gaming Software) has next/previous tab as a built-in function, and that saved fine to the mouse. That may have been what I did when I first got the mouse.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

wooger posted:

What is it? I recall Youtube red being announced, but it wasn’t available in the UK.

YouTube Premium is YouTube Red rebranded and with YouTube Music as a seperate subscription service because Google.

hooah posted:

Yeah, but the macros don't save to the mouse with the G Hub software. However, the older version (Logitech Gaming Software) has next/previous tab as a built-in function, and that saved fine to the mouse. That may have been what I did when I first got the mouse.

Have you tried using Logitech SetPoint? It's what I use to bind things to my mouse buttons.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

wooger posted:

My ad blocker removes all advertising on YouTube perfectly, and I don’t watch it too much anyway, so it’s not clear how I’d benefit. Or how much it costs.

If it was the case that my subscription bucks would *only* go to ok those channels I subscribe to, that would be a start, but I suspect that as with Spotify, subscription funds are instead being used to subsidise payments to the most popular teen pop starlets / minecraft streamers rather than only going to artists I listen to.

Same as Red, more or less. They changed some stuff and rebranded. http://www.iphonehacks.com/2018/05/youtube-red-vs-premium-vs-music.html

YouTube downloads is pretty interesting. I've used some unofficial services to rip youtubes before, for train travel in particular, and the plugins are probably shifty as hell.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Who needs plugins when youtube-dl exists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Kassad posted:

Who needs plugins when youtube-dl exists?

Yup, it works great. Just needs integrating into an app somehow to make it accessible for use on a phone before getting on a flight or something.

So YouTube premium is $12 a month, but I’m paying for a whole music streaming service (that’s $10) bundled with that.

Subtract that crap I don’t want and $2 a month sounds much more reasonable to me.