Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

So after finishing Dougram (Dougram rules) I started Blue Comet SPT Layzner.

How did nobody ever tell me this takes place in a far future of 1996 on the UN's Mars base during the cold war? In a series made in 1985?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gourdcaptain posted:

How did nobody ever tell me this takes place in a far future of 1996 on the UN's Mars base during the cold war? In a series made in 1985?

It gets even better. The plot features the reveal that

Japan had the first Moon landing, but it got covered up. Seriously.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

gourdcaptain posted:

Don't worry, all of that wacky world building doesn't loving matter at all!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/1238316293914341377?s=20

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Is it weird that I’m angry at a listicle for calling Nadesico overrated when the author probably missed that it’s a satire and definitely missed that the bad guys aren’t lizards? I’m not even invested in defending the show, that’s just irresponsible reporting.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's not weird, it's on purpose. They always include dumb poo poo in those listicles so people will share them to be like "look at this dumb poo poo"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

^ It’s this. Don’t give these clickbaiters the attention; they exploit the fact you’ll think their dumb opinions are dumb to generate those precious clicks.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The real question is, would Nadesico have been better or worse if the big reveal was that the antagonists were actually just bearded dragons the whole time?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Nuebot posted:

The real question is, would Nadesico have been better or worse if the big reveal was that the antagonists were actually just bearded dragons the whole time?

Only if they are still totally into Super Robots.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nuebot posted:

That's pretty much the twist of the Getter Robo Go manga.

wielder posted:

Only if they are still totally into Super Robots.

They are!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

You can really tell Goro Taniguchi was the co-director on this.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That last episode sure was...something. It had some cool visuals at least!

The first 24 eps are great though. Shared a lot thematically with Dougram, where sincere ideologically motivated actors are destined to be defeated by cynical career politicans. Great visuals throughout the entire series. I don't think the show reveals Takahashi to be a cryptofascist or whatever, he has sympathy for Nishida as a sincere philosopher but is also pretty clear about what the monstrous effects of his plan would be if it succeeded and not in a subtle way. Fairly timely anime to be watching, replace the grain with covid and it's a pretty similar situation! I'm a little sad it abandoned the Noh aspect pretty quickly although maybe it stayed there thematically in a way I wouldn't notice since I don't know a lot about Noh. Also the Illuminati didn't really end up being important at all. Also I don't like that it basically got rid of Miharu as a character until the last episodes because she was by far the most interesting person in the whole show. That's all I have left to say about Gasaraki.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
One thing I like about Dougram is that the Dougram isn’t that the greatest mech ever made the way you the gundam is, it’s an upgrade compared to the soltics but the reason it’s stronger is that it’s built for Deloyer’s environment. Also Crinn’s dad who is definitely a throwback to Zabi is dishonest and willing to commit crimes to get more power like real politicians but isn’t totally without humanity like when he doesn’t want to send Boyd to kill his own brother. It kind of feels like a Lotgh for a younger audience (I haven’t seen lotgh).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

hostess with the Moltres posted:

One thing I like about Dougram is that the Dougram isn’t that the greatest mech ever made the way you the gundam is, it’s an upgrade compared to the soltics but the reason it’s stronger is that it’s built for Deloyer’s environment. Also Crinn’s dad who is definitely a throwback to Zabi is dishonest and willing to commit crimes to get more power like real politicians but isn’t totally without humanity like when he doesn’t want to send Boyd to kill his own brother. It kind of feels like a Lotgh for a younger audience (I haven’t seen lotgh).

To be fair to the Gundam, it's only the best mech ever made in the very beginning stages of the show, and that only really serves as a way to let Amuro gently caress up and get beat up without dying until he can come into his own. By the time the Gouf rolls around it's very much not a god machine anymore.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Does anyone have that page from the Grendizer manga where they tied children to Great Mazinger on hand? I can never find it by just searching for it and it drives me up the wall because it's such an incredible page for it's sheer "what the gently caress" factor

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Does anyone have that page from the Grendizer manga where they tied children to Great Mazinger on hand? I can never find it by just searching for it and it drives me up the wall because it's such an incredible page for it's sheer "what the gently caress" factor

This the one you're after?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Toei Launches Global YouTube Channel for Tokusatsu, Anime Catalog on April 6 posted:

Toei announced on Thursday that it will launch a new global YouTube channel on April 6 that will update every day with new episodes from its catalog of tokusatsu (special effects) and anime shows, which include entries from the Kamen Rider and Super Sentai franchises.

The first two episodes of 70 shows will debut on April 6 with English subtitles. Anime included in the release include Mirai Robo Daltanious, Combattler V, Voltes V, and Daimos. Toei did not reveal a full list of the 70 shows that will be available on the service, so it is possible more anime will debut on April 6 aside from those four anime.

Toei stated that for now, subsequent episodes will not have English subtitles, but the service plans to make "a public call for subtitles in any language."

The third and fourth episodes of Combattler V will debut on April 19, and subsequent episodes will debut on Sundays. The channel plans to add more episodes of Voltes V and Daimos at a later date. All three anime are part of director Tadao Nagahama's "Romance Super Robot Trilogy."

In addition, Shout! Factory announced on Monday that it has launched a new linear streaming channel called "TokuSHOUTsu" dedicated to tokusatsu titles. The channel launched on Tuesday on PlutoTV.
Anime News Network

When it comes to 70s super robot shows, Tadao Nagahama's work is some of the best.
In particular, if you have any interest in super robots at all, then I implore you to catch episode 4 of Combattler V. That is the good poo poo episode.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There's another new anime streaming service launching called retrocrush. It's free but you gotta download the app so at first I was like, man I don't want to download an app. Then I saw this ad for it

bah bahbah bah bahbah bah bahbah bahdadadadadada

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
gently caress you, now it's stuck in my head. :argh:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 1, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

There's another new anime streaming service launching called retrocrush. It's free but you gotta download the app so at first I was like, man I don't want to download an app.

I'm old and don't understand "apps," is it possible to get this on a desktop?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm old and don't understand "apps," is it possible to get this on a desktop?

Looking around, it is supposed to, but it doesn't seem like it's live yet. From a couple things I've seen on twitter it's still a beta so hopefully things will move along quickly

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Schwarzwald posted:

Anime News Network

When it comes to 70s super robot shows, Tadao Nagahama's work is some of the best.
In particular, if you have any interest in super robots at all, then I implore you to catch episode 4 of Combattler V. That is the good poo poo episode.

Everyone please watch Voltes V. It is very good.

About RetroCrush, I tossed it on my TV to play around with. The library is mostly Discotek's backcatalog, so they have some good robot stuff on there - Baldios, Goshogun, etc. There was more buffering than I expected, but it is a new service. Since the library is still fairly small, it's not that hard to find weird stuff, which is good for me. I only got one ad in each show I watched (episode each of Baldios and 8 Man After), but I'm pretty sure that will change as they realise that servers cost money.

I think they're worth enjoying before they inevitably go belly-up in a few years.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Everyone go on that all and watch Dallos.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Everyone go on that all and watch Dallos.

I already watched it on Crunchyroll. It's historically interesting, but as a show, it's just kind of eh, and it ends just when it's getting started. Short shows can get a lot done (Macross Plus was four episodes, after all), but Dallos specifically ends without resolving its core conflicts.

It's not bad, and seeing Oshii animate reloading is always a treat, but most of Dallos doesn't get past having interesting ideas to actually doing things with them.

And it's still deeply weird to me that when the terrorists have a high value hostage, nobody talks about what they can get for her. Honestly, the way nobody seemed to have an endgame was one of the most confusing aspects of the show's politics.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

chiasaur11 posted:

I already watched it on Crunchyroll. It's historically interesting, but as a show, it's just kind of eh, and it ends just when it's getting started. Short shows can get a lot done (Macross Plus was four episodes, after all), but Dallos specifically ends without resolving its core conflicts.

It's not bad, and seeing Oshii animate reloading is always a treat, but most of Dallos doesn't get past having interesting ideas to actually doing things with them.

And it's still deeply weird to me that when the terrorists have a high value hostage, nobody talks about what they can get for her. Honestly, the way nobody seemed to have an endgame was one of the most confusing aspects of the show's politics.

The conflicts in the world of the story aren’t resolved, sure, but the central conflict of the narrative is resolved in a way that I really like.

The plot begins with the protagonist’s older brother, a rebel guerrilla, being accused of bombing a subway full of civilians. The apprehension and lack of conviction that arises from this forms the central character conflict of the work, as the protagonist is thrown into an anti-colonial struggle and experiences the life and world his brother shielded him from in a firsthand manner.

At the end, the antagonist brings his justifications to bear against the protagonist by bringing him to the site where his grandfather died for the grand project of building the colony. The series threatens to make the ugly, incorrect argument that colonizer and colonized are two sides of the same coin, and that anti-colonial war degrades both sides of the conflict, with a closing shot of the protagonist looking out over the ruins site in a shot that emphasizes indecision and introspection. Then they pull the rug out from under that by smash cutting to a montage of the protagonist and his sister training with assault rifles at the rebel base.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Assessor of Maat posted:

This the one you're after?

Thanks!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Gripweed posted:

It's not weird, it's on purpose. They always include dumb poo poo in those listicles so people will share them to be like "look at this dumb poo poo"

Just saw another that deliberately included a picture of TTGL and called it Demonbane. I knew you were right about this, but drat.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Toku thread is already on this, but Toei's Tokusatsu youtube channel just put up the first episodes of several series, including a handful of super robots.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7pddu3yyzkzFEiXfQLex3w/

No Combattler or Voltes as of yet (I think they're scheduled for later this week?) but they've got the first two episodes of God Sigma and Albegas.
And a ton of toku, of course.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

No Combattler or Voltes as of yet (I think they're scheduled for later this week?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHBsfsKLlqc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1wrKiPo4H0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIQ_Fk6Itmw

?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Huh, I'm getting "This video is not available" when I click those, and they're flat not showing up on their youtube page for me. I wonder if that's a regional thing?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Schwarzwald posted:

Huh, I'm getting "This video is not available" when I click those, and they're flat not showing up on their youtube page for me. I wonder if that's a regional thing?

They're having all kinds of trouble, including some videos getting copyright struck by Toei. Hopefully they'll get it ironed out soon

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

They're having all kinds of trouble, including some videos getting copyright struck by Toei. Hopefully they'll get it ironed out soon

Yeah, I saw when they were down earlier. When I saw they were up I suppose I wrongly assumed they were all the way up.

None-the-less! God Sigma and Albegas! They exist!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I'm suspecting a regional thing, but if it is then there's the vague hope that Voltes will at least show up on RetroCrush.

No idea what's with Combattler and Daimos, though.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Jesus gently caress, Winspector is simultaneously way more goofy and way more badass than I thought it would be.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Listeners decided that its obligatory acid trip episode should be its second one, rather than halfway through its run like any normal mecha show, and I respect it for that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fivemarks posted:

Jesus gently caress, Winspector is simultaneously way more goofy and way more badass than I thought it would be.

Yes, yes it is.

Also this sentiment applies to almost every toku show ever made.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yes, yes it is.

Also this sentiment applies to almost every toku show ever made.

Kaiketsu Zubat is actually amazing.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Fivemarks posted:

Kaiketsu Zubat is actually amazing.
Kaiketsu Zubat is way more goofy and way more badass than I think anybody could imagine.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
His Mole Kick is him chopping the ball with his hands and no one calls him out on it because they know he makes the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
https://twitter.com/tokugifs/status/1027108149742854144

I was trying to find the golf one where he strips the paint off the ball but there's this instead