Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

END ME SCOOB posted:

Among other things, she was Claire Redfield in the only RE movie I didn't watch.

OH YEAH

She's in three of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
she was in that house on haunted hill remake that was decently cheesey

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Did they ever do like Heroes comics based off of the show?

Not that I'm dying for that or anything, it just seems like something that obviously would have happened.

But thinking about TV comics, how great would it be if it turned out we lived in a universe where you woke up tomorrow and there were 150+ issues of an in-continuity Venture Brothers comic series?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Did they ever do like Heroes comics based off of the show?

Not that I'm dying for that or anything, it just seems like something that obviously would have happened.

But thinking about TV comics, how great would it be if it turned out we lived in a universe where you woke up tomorrow and there were 150+ issues of an in-continuity Venture Brothers comic series?

There were some original graphic novels from Marvel.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So they actually did weekly? short comics on the NBC website which were a huge way a lot of metaplot stuff or character intros happened. They varied wildly in quality.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Those might be the same thing in the OGNs, if I remember correctly they were collections of short stories.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
on the one hand it is slightly strange that there are like 60 issues of fuckin rick and morty but there isnt a venture bros comic, on the other id rather not have venture bros get bogged down because someone elses lovely comic because thats probably what would happen

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Oh man imagine if they did a Rick & Morty/Venture Brothers crossover comic

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ewwww.

No.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i refuse

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
You are both cowards.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

You are both cowards.

HOW DARE YOU SIR

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

Oh man imagine if they did a Rick & Morty/Venture Brothers crossover comic

https://youtu.be/YhEs9KUQ4qo

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Heroes might be the greatest example of a television show self-destructing that we've ever seen. There's shows that fail to stick the landing and make everyone retroactively like them less and there's shows that burn out their goodwill by dicking around with their viewers, but Heroes got people on board immediately and then proceeded to just gently caress everything up in the worst way possible. I remember tuning in for the third season premier and seeing that they were doing "Hiro accidentally time travels and finds out there's a dark future coming that he has to prevent" for the third season metaplot in a row and I said, "gently caress it, I'm out." I recall that I wasn't the only one and there was some comically astronomical drop off in ratings between that first episode of season three and the second.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It had that LOST energy and super hero stuff was starting to get really popular, we were just two years away from the MCU.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Heroes was also the last time I really recall fan forums and major overnight "SOLVE THE MYSTERY" communities forming over a television show in that first season. I went to go look something up about the series years later and discovered an entirely dead one of those forums just frozen in amber, everyone having fled after the final season.

They did not reopen for Reborn, I looked later, curious.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm glad Jess from Gilmore Girls was able to get that This is Us money and critical acclaim after Heroes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

If you haven’t seen Heroes, you should at least watch the first episode. It had a great cast, and all the potential in the world.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

If you haven’t seen Heroes, you should at least watch the first episode. It had a great cast, and all the potential in the world.

No don't, it'll be good enough you might be tempted to watch more, and that way lies madness.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
The cure to this is to watch the Heroes pilot, then you put on the Heroes Reborn pilot, and you laugh yourself silly.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
When I was in college the first season of Heroes was one of the only shows that people would go out of their way to congregate and watch as a big group in common rooms and stuff. When the second season came out I was living off-campus with a few people who still hosted friends for Heroes and it was depressing to watch the energy in the room deflate week by week.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've reached September 1995. Holy poo poo, Supreme finally missed a month. I think they missed one around issue 7 as well. Maybe it was the two issues last month that did it. Of course, I've got more new number ones to make up for that.

Something fun that comes up in the house ads this month: there are ads for a collectable card game based on Youngblood. When I saw that I knew I had to get some and report on it for everyone. Turns out that Power Cardz never released their Youngblood set. They did release a Spawn set (one of only two that they did and the other was just generic characters) but for some reason the Youngblood cards didn't come out. Was it Liefeld dragging his feet or the CCG imploding like 95% of the CCG's that rushed in when Magic suddenly became huge?

Riptide #1 - Here's everything I know about Riptide: she's the Youngblood member who can control water and she posed naked. She also talks about posing naked and everybody in the background in Extreme books has seen that issue of Not Playboy.

The issue starts with Riptide dreaming of being a diver at a cruise ship accident. When she wakes up, there's a convenient news report about an investigation of the deaths of the people who were diving with her at that ship. The story was planted by Mr. Graves (a.k.a. the devil) as the head of Youngblood to punish Riptide and he needs Battlestone's help for that and there goes the continuity again. This book says Riptide and Battlestone were teammates but Battlestone was kicked out of Youngblood on the organization's first mission, years before Riptide was around. It also means that this comic is set about ten months ago before the crossover involving Demon Lord Chapel.

Anyway, Masada and Riptide meet for lunch and get approached by the police who arresting her for murder. Riptide tries to run but gives up in the alley behind the restaurant. Fortunately for her, the reporter who covered the story of the investigation on the news that morning comes out of his house into the alley where he tells Masada that he's the only one who can prove Riptide's innocent.

For a plot that revolves around murder accusations, I have no clue what it's about. I don't know who the people who died are, what the circumstances of their deaths are, how Riptide knew them, or anything else. I gave you all of the information that the comic gives on the mystery plot in that summary. There's no plot here, there's a hole where a plot is clearly supposed to be.

So if you guessed that Extreme Studios was exactly the wrong group of people to explore the ethics of a character choosing to pose nude and how people react to it, give yourself a cookie. This has been clumsy the whole way through.

Weird thing in the credits: this one was edited by Jim Valentino even though Extreme's editor wrote the comic. Now you might say, "Well, it's a bad idea for a writer to be their own editor," but it hasn't stopped them before.

There's only two issues of this Riptide series and I don't know if it's another case of Extreme launching a book and immediately abandoning it. I guess I'll find out when issue two ends in a cliffhanger.

Youngblood #1 - It's time to relaunch Youngblood with a new number one. Of course, as his foundational title, the comic that is absolutely his, you can guess how much work Liefeld did on this issue. That's right, absolutely nothing.

Oh my god, they're actually picking up the storyline from Team Youngblood's attempted relaunch a few months ago. Also, Badrock is back from the story in his ongoing series. "What ongoing series you ask?" The one that Liefeld was drawing and had a single issue released eight months ago at this point.

Up in space Future Badrock is convincing Admiral Kh'rk to just leave the solar system so that a dangling subplot from issue two of the original Youngblood series interstellar war could be avoided. They agree, but only if they can take Combat and Badrock is okay with that. Turns out they just got a clone. Meanwhile in other subplots, Shaft has traitorous Youngblood member Brahma and he doesn't know what to do with him, Dutch is still on the run for murder and Knightsabre tells him that he's going to help because of the very important thing that they found in Dutch's backyard (which still isn't revealed), Battlestone is up to no good, and some guy climbs a mountain to find a statue of a woman.

It's kind of funny that this is a number one issue and all it does is dump old plots from a series that isn't continuing. Team Youngblood promised me that "Extreme 3000 begins here!" and it looks like nothing comes from that because Future Badrock seems to just be going away at the end of this. The aliens who were doing something in the background of several issues are just going away. The murder plot is just getting shuffled elsewhere.

On the "Why are you even drawing that?" front, it seems like a lot of the women in this comic are in very cold rooms.

New Men #18 - There are only three more issues of New Men after this! That actually makes me pretty happy. I'm going to be counting this series down until I can dump it.

Byrd is the second New Man to undergo mutations. He's become more birdlike, Exit turned into Marvel's Nightmare only with a hole for a face. All of them changing seems to be the plot of this arc.

At the restaurant with the possibly dead Girth, the police are no longer holding the New Men there at gunpoint and get their story. The police officer doesn't believe that Byrd could have flown away despite living in a universe with superheroes, a bear-man standing next to him, and the woman telling him this is dressed in what is clearly a superhero costume. Then Kodiak collapses in what is definitely going to be another mutation. There's some people who might be werewolves watching everything. Back at hide out cabin, Rapist makes excuses for raping and everyone is still willing to tolerate his presence. The vampire and the guy in the basement come out of hiding to let the New Men who are there know what's happening. All of the New Men rush off to the scene of the fight where the vampire goes, "Oh yeah, your mentor Proctor might be a bad guy." Up in space, aliens are really concerned about a guy named Shepherd who seems likely to be the focus of the next crossover.

So small tip for comic creators: if you don't bother to identify characters or give them things to do, and your storyline has time travel in it, maybe don't make two different characters look exactly the same except for the shade of their hair. I thought the guy hiding in the basement with the vampire was Rapist from another time, but it was a different character who happened to have phasing abilities. He's been there for six months and no one has bothered identifying who he is in any of the subplots between issues.

I don't even know with this book anymore. It would be middle of the road superheroes, but they keep making GBS threads it up badly.

Glory & Friends Bikini Fest #1 - Most comic book publishers content themselves with one terrible "swimsuit issue". But I guess that's the advantage of having two comic book companies.

So this is another book of pin-ups. The copy I got for my shiny Susan B. Anthony coin has a photo cover which I think was an incentive cover at the time. Inside, almost all of the art is drawn but there are some photos. Just like the Avengelyne Swimsuit book from last month, they don't do anything creative with it. I honestly would prefer it if it was an issue of Glory's beach vacation; it would still be something awful, but it might be tolerable.

And now for your viewing pleasure, a video about this book on YouTube that I had to share:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSBC0zxlQ4

(This guy seems to be the only person out there with content on these Extreme Studios books and needless to say he has a very different take on them than I do.)

Bloodpool #2 - Last issue, the Youngblood recruits that were abandoned by the program went off to make their own superhero team just because. No, they wouldn't go back to their own lives or find individual things to do, just, "Hey, we were all laid off from the government at the same time. Why don't we all go fight crime together?"

While out running through California suburban neighborhood, Wylder and Fusion are attacked by a pack of coyotes who look a lot more like Wile E. than the real life version. Fusion fuses one of the coyotes to grass and then Wylder shreds it with his claws despite the fact that it'll turn back to flesh and blood in a few minutes. So somebody is going to come out of their house to find chunks of coyote all over their lawn, which the two of them talk about but don't actually do anything about. They're quickly sucked into the earth along with some other families, but not before the heroes get out an emergency beeper message. The person who captured them is the Eyrth Mover, a former real estate agent who discovered he had to ability to shift earth and started an underground kingdom.

The rest of the Bloodpool go to the neighborhood where Psilence can sense their two teammates. They smash into the ground and then Seoul summons the soul (get it?) of a warrior to give her advice. They might have dropped right in on top of the Eyrth Mover since he starts reacting to them four pages after they drop in, but they didn't react to him when they came in so I don't know. The villain is punched out with one blow and the comic is over.

I really get the impression that the artist just has no clue. The way pages are structured and the way space is defined in this comic is confusing.

On the other hand, the Eyrth Mover's origin is great: "I realized I might not be able to move the land financially, but could move it psychicly!" Jo Duffy is providing the script for this comic and it's still pretty rough, but that moment at least amused me.

Law and Order #1 - My craziest Law and Order fact for comic book nerds is that Gerry Conway was a producer on the show. Marvel editor-in-chief for one month and the man who threw Gwen Stacy off that bridge also made the most popular television drama of the 1990's. Second craziest fact is that Liefeld published a book called Law and Order that had nothing to do with the television show at the height of the show's popularity. Well, I'm sure it would be overlooked since it's not like the show would have anyone on staff who would be familiar with the comic book industry...

You probably don't remember Law and Order but they were in the Extreme Studios preview book back in 1993 and then their series never turned up. Law was a tough guy with a big a gun. Order was a tough woman with a big gun. And in their new series, they're now both tough women with big guns. Because Maximum Press is finding their niche fast.

A woman arrives through a portal and is hunting for Order. One page later, Law is dead. He was shot by a shadowy figure that gets away. The government arrives and takes Order away to lock her up. There's a flashback to Law's origin now that it doesn't matter: he was a cyborg alien killing machine forced to atone for his actions by Jesse Ventura Abraxis. The portal woman breaks Order out of government custody with absolutely no effort on her part. Once away, Order decides she must have been Law's killer and attacks.

The first thing this comic tells you is that Order is "barely seventeen" (huh, why is my creep meter pinging?). The government agent has been following her and Law for sixteen months. So Law recruited a fifteen year old girl into his war on crime. Just wanted to emphasize that they're making things worse. And hey, there's some extra pages of her strapped down and her captors leering at her. And as for her relationship with Law, "All Law required from her was unquestioning obedience." I would say that was some unfortunate decisions, but there's no way that these people didn't 100% know what they were making.

Battlestar Galactica #3 - I feel like at some point here I'm going to have to go back and look at a few episodes of the original series. Battlestar Galactica becomes pretty much the only non-warrior woman comic that Maximum publishes until the end days. There's five limited series that are published, plus a serial in Maximum's anthology book. NBC has episodes up for streaming so I might put them on and not really pay attention to them. It's not like there's a whole lot of episodes.

Commander Adama's last order was to be reawoken when they arrived at earth so he could see it even though he was dying. Apollo didn't want to wake him up to die but did it anyway. Adama is pretty excited by the pyramid they found and wants to go down to the surface to see it. Meanwhile, Iblis has made some magic to take the Cylon base to earth and then goes off to do something. In his absence, Baltar executes a gold Cylon just to demonstrate that he's a bad guy. The Galactica crew is lucky since Adama stole the key to the pyramid's door before he fled Caprica. Within the pyramid they find sarcophaguses that contain the still living Adam and Eve. Iblis turns up on the Galactica where he takes Sheba, Apollo's wife, back to where they encountered him in the original series and shows her the body of her father. Apparently Apollo found her dead father there and never told her so she thought he was still alive twenty years of continuous Cylon war later. This is Iblis's plan to make her join the Cylons.

There's a famous list of terrible SF cliches that a bunch of drunk authors wrote up on a hotel rooftop during a convention. These were things that they saw constantly from the worst tier of science fiction writers. Near the top of this list was that the two survivors from a spaceship had the names "Adam" and "Eve".

I just don't know what to make of this comic. There's nothing of interest to me at all here, but I don't know if that's because I don't care about Galactica.

How Wonderful! posted:

When I was in college the first season of Heroes was one of the only shows that people would go out of their way to congregate and watch as a big group in common rooms and stuff. When the second season came out I was living off-campus with a few people who still hosted friends for Heroes and it was depressing to watch the energy in the room deflate week by week.

The tech company where I worked at that time had regular breakfast meetings and during that first season we talked about Heroes quite a bit. That fell off with the second season.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A Strange Aeon posted:

This may be the wrong thread but I figured you guys may have good opinions--was that show Heroes any good? Like, there's been tons of official comic book hero TV shows since, from both DC and Marvel and stuff like Locke and Key, but as far as original stuff went, was Heroes decent? Even if 'original' probably means highly derivative from Big 2 ideas.

Nooooooooooooooooo.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

How Wonderful! posted:

Heroes and Prison Break.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Here is a question for all you. Pre Arrow what were the good hero style shows? I never really watched Smallville but I always heard that it was pretty dire. The animated shows were always great but what about live action.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
90s Flash was fun if not perfect.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Madkal posted:

Here is a question for all you. Pre Arrow what were the good hero style shows? I never really watched Smallville but I always heard that it was pretty dire. The animated shows were always great but what about live action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h48SKQ1pbc

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Batman '66 is fun and perfect.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah all the good live action shows were very very campy, which doesn't mean they were bad, but that's a bit of a narrow focus. Batman 66, 90s Flash, 90s Robocop, Lois and Clark...

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I doubt it was good, but I loved watching Lois and Clark on Sunday nights at my mom’s place.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Let me tell you guys about a little superhero franchise called Kamen Rider...

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Gripweed posted:

Seconded.

Skip Kiva.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

END ME SCOOB posted:

Seconded.

Skip Kiva.

So you can save it for last? Kiva's good but it's not that good.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Gripweed posted:

Kiva [...] it's not [...] good.

Exactly.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Can confirm.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxk8aUei_p0

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Madkal posted:

Well if we're not just limiting ourselves to American productions there's the vast and varied world of Tokusatsu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WszmKpoBvs

Gripweed posted:

And Super Sentai and Ultraman and GARO

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I was actually thinking about this earlier, why don't more American superheroes have transformation sequences? Almost all Japanese heroes have one and they're great. But the only American superhero who has a specific transformation sequence is Superman. And he actually has two; spinning around in a phone booth and pulling open his shirt to reveal his logo. Which goes to show how great transformation sequences are, that the only two in American comics both became iconic American images

For those who are unfamiliar, here's one of the best Japanese transformation sequences. You will agree that it would be cool if Bruce Wayne had a little thing like this he did when he transformed into Batman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXhzpJHBxTg

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

I was actually thinking about this earlier, why don't more American superheroes have transformation sequences? Almost all Japanese heroes have one and they're great. But the only American superhero who has a specific transformation sequence is Superman. And he actually has two; spinning around in a phone booth and pulling open his shirt to reveal his logo. Which goes to show how great transformation sequences are, that the only two in American comics both became iconic American images

For those who are unfamiliar, here's one of the best Japanese transformation sequences. You will agree that it would be cool if Bruce Wayne had a little thing like this he did when he transformed into Batman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXhzpJHBxTg

Wonder Woman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Oh yeah. She only did that in a show that ran for like three years in the seventies, but still decades later even people who had never seen the show knew about it. Which just further reinforces my point. Everybody loves transformation sequences. They become iconic. American superheroes need to transformation sequences!