Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

It's been a hot minute since mod chat, so: I'm gearing up to do a two-person Calamity run, and here's the current mod list. Any recommendations for what else to add? We don't particularly want the DBZ mod. EDIT: We also already played through Thorium and don't really feel like overlapping it with Calamity at this point, but maybe.

- Recipe Browser
- Lui AFK
- Fargo's Mods (Mutant and Soul)
- Calamity
- Wing Slot
- Reduced Grinding
- Magic Storage
- imkSushi's Mod
- Omniswing

Nighthand fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

all of those play nice together

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Nighthand posted:

It's been a hot minute since mod chat, so: I'm gearing up to do a two-person Calamity run, and here's the current mod list. Any recommendations for what else to add? We don't particularly want the DBZ mod. EDIT: We also already played through Thorium and don't really feel like overlapping it with Calamity at this point, but maybe.

- Recipe Browser
- Lui AFK
- Fargo's Mods (Mutant and Soul)
- Calamity
- Wing Slot
- Reduced Grinding
- Magic Storage
- imkSushi's Mod
- Omniswing

Boss cursor for sure if you are doing calamity, it just gives you a pointer showing what direction the boss is in, and probably also Yet another boss health bar, though i'm not sure how well it interacts with calamity right now. I know it overwrites the kinda ugly calamity hp bar at least, but the other benefit is it gives you a boss book containing the spawn method, item drops, and even records your best time which is kinda fun.

Also maybe alchemist npc lite, if you don't want to grind for potions. If you do add this i would recommend going into its options and curating what npcs can spawn because there's a lot and maybe you only want the potion one and the one that just sells a mix of all class relevant potions.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Here's the Youtube link to that Badger community spotlight, in higher video quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS3YwbyMuHY

This is expert mode, previously unseen map, no item dupes or glitches, and showing off beating ALL the pre-hardmode bosses. Run ends after expert Wall of Flesh.

He has INSANE luck during this video!

Holy crap expert mode bosses are hard -- it's not just the Brain that gets major new trolly behaviors. I don't think i could beat that Skeletron, even with the luck that he gets.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I've only played on Expert since it came out and for me Skeletron is a hard barrier unless you have a minimum amount of movement and defense buffs, speedrunners are crazy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
A normal expert run(i.e. not a speedrun) is relatively easy pre-hardmode just because you have such a huge potential for power growth if you just prepare obsessively before fighting bosses. Skeletron is really, really loving hard if you fight him super early but he's not very hard if you go through hoops like getting buff potions and getting lots of HP and such before fighting him. Also, the Meteor Gun/Meteor Armor set kind of shits on everything pre-hardmode.

The real pain of expert begins in hardmode because your progression is pretty much hard gated by bosses so it's not really possible to overgear or overprep for bosses anymore and there's nothing as easily accessible as meteor gun that poops on everything.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

skeletron is probably the biggest wall in vanilla expert imo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kanos posted:

The real pain of expert begins in hardmode because your progression is pretty much hard gated by bosses so it's not really possible to overgear or overprep for bosses anymore and there's nothing as easily accessible as meteor gun that poops on everything.

the real pain of expert is figuring out the exact height to build your floating bunker at so you can cheese mech eater but after that you're free to make sure your gear is always to par at your leisure

watho posted:

skeletron is probably the biggest wall in vanilla expert imo

personally brain is about a billion times worse than skeletron ever was

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i’ve never had any real problems with brain

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The key to success in early expert hardmode is farming The Wall until you get a Clockwork Assault Rifle then feeding it exploding bullets. Key number two is a Daedalus Stormbow.

bij fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 17, 2020

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Potential BFF posted:

The key to success in early expert hardmode is farming The Wall until you get a Clockwork Assault Rifle then feeding it exploding bullets. Key number two is a Daedalus Stormbow.

This so much. Daedalus absolutely destroys all three mech bosses. I wouldn't use vs Moonlord, but anything short of that, it's amazing.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i’d only really use it against the destroyer since you can get the megashark after that

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I haven't made a megashark in a long time because onyx blaster exists and requires no bosses.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So adding on to the mod talk. As someone who has only messed around with QoL mods like Fishing 2.0 (Pretty sure this is broken now), Recipe Browser etc, what is the major differences between like Tremor, Calamity, and Thorium?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i have not played with tremor but thorium is definitely a lot more co-op focused while calamity is more,,,, for the hard of core. i really don’t wanna oversell the difficulty of calamity and the devs have been really good about toning down stuff that’s out of line, but some fights will definitely test your abilities. the music owns as well, i even bought the soundtrack album dm dokuro put out

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

watho posted:

i have not played with tremor but thorium is definitely a lot more co-op focused while calamity is more,,,, for the hard of core. i really don’t wanna oversell the difficulty of calamity and the devs have been really good about toning down stuff that’s out of line, but some fights will definitely test your abilities. the music owns as well, i even bought the soundtrack album dm dokuro put out

Does Calamity play nice with Thorium?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

there’s nothing that clashes, i just don’t recommend stacking too many big content mods on each other since it dilutes the spawn and drop pools to the point where getting certain things become infinitely more tedious than intended

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Fat_Cow posted:

Calamity and Thorium do have a very nice little mod that adds some extra compatibility between their stuff. Mostly consolidating recipes and such. I'd say they work in such a way that they don't dilute each other very much, beyond the very early game where they both want you to go to the Desert. They even happen to have their underwater biomes in opposite ends of the map so there's no overlap!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fat_Cow posted:

Calamity and Thorium are balanced completely differently. Thorium is tuned to basically Vanilla+ and has a much lower relative power and difficulty curve. Early on they'll play together fine, but the later you get the more Calamity stuff will simply supercede/obsolete Thorium stuff just because the gear Calamity starts giving you in mid-late hardmode is much more powerful than the stuff Thorium does.

Both are excellent, but I'd pick one or the other.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
I just looked up one of the Calamity bossfight songs and it was such a banger I have no option but to install and play this now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Congratulations, the entire Calamity soundtrack is basically a set of ridiculous bangers. DM Dokuro did incredible work.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Calamity also keeps going well past where the normal end of the game is, and most other content mods stop at slightly after the vanilla final boss.

Which meant when I was playing through with the DBZ mod I had to abandon ki attacks and switch over to something else. The flight and going SSJ still helped, though.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Calamity on Expert was really rough getting started, though I assume a good part of that was Expert mode more than anything. Once we got enough resources to get some decent armor it wasn't too bad, but it took quite a while for us to get the train rolling.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

I started on expert and turned on all the bonus difficulty items and got instantly hell murdered by the slime king, but we'll see who's laughing last after I mine every planetoid and open every sky chest thanks to DBZ flight.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

calamity adds a boss before EoC that makes the early game a lot smoother imo

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Yeah once you get to the point where you can kill that boss things smooth out a ton. Our problem was getting to that point. Did a lot of fumbling around and a lot of dying before then.

We just entered hard mode last night and killed the first hard mode Calamity boss and it's been smooth sailing for most of it since.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

watho posted:

calamity adds a boss before EoC that makes the early game a lot smoother imo

I should have checked this before getting a big head after beating up the slime king, as I summoned the Eye and he whipped my rear end. 1000 ki is not enough to try and tag him with a starfury until he dies while using flight to dodge, I'll go check out this other boss and maybe also make a gun and try again.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Go blow up a shadow orb/crimson heart and get yourself a gun. Or make a bow and a bunch of frostburn arrows. Ki Blast and Ki Laser also work.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 23, 2020

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

I also turned off revengeance mode because I'm at peace with being a scrub :v:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

That's a shame, Revengeance mode is basically the only EXTRA DUPER HARD MODE from any of these mods that actually adds interesting new twists to the fights. King Slime getting a projectile shooting gem at half health and then a burst of speed when nearly down makes it a much more intense fight.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

That's a shame, Revengeance mode is basically the only EXTRA DUPER HARD MODE from any of these mods that actually adds interesting new twists to the fights. King Slime getting a projectile shooting gem at half health and then a burst of speed when nearly down makes it a much more intense fight.

I just couldn't dodge the EoC once it started going buck wild and doing the multiple charges and I threw in the towel for that + Hive Mind, but I'm thinking of revisiting this later on with a pal and we'll smash our heads against Revengeance mode together or die trying. After not playing for god knows how long I'm covered in a thick, beautiful coat of rust and really needed that EoC expert mode shield for the doubletap dodge move.

That said, I just realized I could use mods to puke out more items to retry the boss fights quickly. Currently firing on one cylinder while ill, a hell of a time to learn this mod. :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah, Revengeance was actually pretty fun and rewarding for me to learn way back when I did it. The addition of adrenaline and rage also gives you a huge "gently caress YEAH" boost when you get good enough at reading patterns to consistently use it.

That said, I strongly recommend utilizing an NPC mod or something to make it so you can have full consumable buffs for everything, because it can get kind of annoying farming enough pots and such to learn a boss that's whipping your rear end.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I didn't like trying the harder modes at first but i'm warming up to them now that i have started to use mod to help skip the "grind for buffs and boss summon material", i might give revengeance a try. I hope there isn't anything like the garbage overhaul added with the brain of cthulhu where it just confuses you on hit, which is just awful.

Honestly I really just want to say how incredibly frustrating overhaul is in its existence, because for every cool thing it has it has something equally bad and there no real way to just extract the good stuff out of it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

nah all that stuff is saved for death mode which doesn’t have any extra content or items or anything so don’t even bother

what mods do you use for boss spawning materials? the one i have only lets you buy the items after the boss has been beaten which helps for farming a lot but less so when you struggle with the initial kill

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Terraria is doing a thing

quote:

Terraria: Journey's End Vanity Contest
Greetings Terrarians!

The development team at Re-Logic were having a chat the other day about just how creative the Terraria community is - from art to music to in-game creations, you all are simply amazing. That got us to thinking... what better way to reward that creativity in the final Journey's End update than to give all of you creative geniuses a once-in-a-lifetime chance to get your very own vanity armor design into the game itself?

That's right - we are giving everyone a chance to submit their own original ideas for Terraria Vanity Armor/Outfits (Head/Torso/Legs), and the winners will see their ideas make it into the game for the Journey's End update! This is your chance to design your own brand new vanity outfit that you'd like to see added to the game! This is sort of like finding that golden ticket and getting to visit the chocolate factory, except there is no tour and no lifetime supply of chocolate... only fame and glory and bragging rights forever listed in one of the best video games ever crafted.

As you might imagine, there are some rules and guidelines and such that are important for you to follow - however, inside of these guidelines, have at it! Anything your minds can dream up, we want to hear about it! You can also check out the Contest Submission Thread to see current submissions!

Figured I should give the actual Terraria thread a heads up about this.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
:goonboot:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I was thinking of getting back into this while riding out our current hellplague, after putting in 100+ back in 2012/13. If I'm interested enough I should probably just jump in rather than sit around waiting for this final update, right?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

C-Euro posted:

I was thinking of getting back into this while riding out our current hellplague, after putting in 100+ back in 2012/13. If I'm interested enough I should probably just jump in rather than sit around waiting for this final update, right?

If you've never done mods something like Thorium will breath tons of new life into the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Update is years late and there's no guarantee it won't get pushed back further still. If you wanna play just play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hailfire
Sep 11, 2011
Yeah I'm loving doing a calamity, thorium and fargos soul mod run all together. You end up using like every single vanilla and mod items to build your way to ridiculously powerful soul mods. I gotta admit the eater of gods in calamity is kicking my arse at the moment, I think ill have to use a guide.