Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

On the plus side, I'm curious to see if, as I've always suspected, this show would be better without a live audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Colbert and Seth Meyers were both definitely better without the audience, though with Colbert it was mainly because he was in full dgaf mode, sipping bourbon and bantering with the crew

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t know if it’s common for news studios, but the one back home for my area was literally the anchors and maybe one other person there and everything else was done remotely or automated.

Tom Green needs to restart his home tv studio again.

amethystdragon
Sep 14, 2019
Seems like we're getting one last episode in, then a break for at least a week...

https://twitter.com/LastWeekTonight/status/1238918262706114560

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
okay...fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The dead silence and John speaking to us from a white void is deeply unsettling.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
It was a weird episode. I think it was meant to be. They wanted you focused on the information which was effective.

I assume this is going to be on Youtube in its entirety tomorrow.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Djarum posted:

It was a weird episode. I think it was meant to be. They wanted you focused on the information which was effective.

I assume this is going to be on Youtube in its entirety tomorrow.

It already is, and it's so drat weird.
It also feels so much more personal, which multiplies the weirdness.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Episode is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_066dEkycr4

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jamesman posted:

The dead silence and John speaking to us from a white void is deeply unsettling.
If it had been edited like a YouTube video it would have seemed 100% normal.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah, John sticking to his usual delivery without audience responses was a bizarre viewing experience

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Never thought most of the jokes on Last Week was very good but without an audience it's even worse

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I wonder if John even wants to do another show under these circumstances. This was deeply unsettling.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kamrat posted:

Never thought most of the jokes on Last Week was very good but without an audience it's even worse

Yea, it felt really stilted and awkward any time he made a joke, gave a half second beat to let it land and then continued on as before. It works with an audience, because he can bounce off their energy and if a joke makes them laugh, he can react to it and maybe improv a tiny bit based on that reaction. Here, it's just nothing.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Oliver, Meyers, and Colbert need to throw money at the Some More News guy to coach them on being funny without a live audience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKDgE1rcEoA

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think Oliver is particularly funny but whoa man neither is that fuckin guy

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
That was unsettlingly 'apocalypse in progress' poo poo.

I'm really curious to see what sort of generational scars this leaves, like how my grandpa, who grew up during the depression, simply never threw away food.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

TheCenturion posted:

That was unsettlingly 'apocalypse in progress' poo poo.

I'm really curious to see what sort of generational scars this leaves, like how my grandpa, who grew up during the depression, simply never threw away food.

If nothing else we'll have the cleanest hands and arseholes ever known to man.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

It's emblematic to this entire past decade that the thing people are most concerned about is the quality of the stuff they wipe their asses with.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think Oliver is particularly funny but whoa man neither is that fuckin guy

I’ll update my logs, ty

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The whole telling Geraldo to kill himself bit made me uncomfortable. he's a piece of poo poo, of course, but making one of those goes-on-too-long jokes about urging a person to die was a little much. maybe the messed up format exaggerated it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Crusty Nutsack posted:

The whole telling Geraldo to kill himself bit made me uncomfortable. he's a piece of poo poo, of course, but making one of those goes-on-too-long jokes about urging a person to die was a little much. maybe the messed up format exaggerated it.

It is physically impossible to kill yourself by voluntarily cutting off your air supply using your own body, whether by holding your breath, choking yourself with your hands etc. You'll just pass out, and then stop doing whatever it was that was inhibiting your ability to breathe, before starting to breathe as normal again. All he was encouraging Geraldo to do was pass out. I'm not sure if that was the intent of course, but given Oliver's general disposition, I'd prefer to believe it was.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

tsob posted:

It is physically impossible to kill yourself by voluntarily cutting off your air supply using your own body, whether by holding your breath, choking yourself with your hands etc. You'll just pass out, and then stop doing whatever it was that was inhibiting your ability to breathe, before starting to breathe as normal again. All he was encouraging Geraldo to do was pass out. I'm not sure if that was the intent of course, but given Oliver's general disposition, I'd prefer to believe it was.

Right but... it was just extra squidgy for some reason. Maybe rooting for someone to cut off their own oxygen as a joke falls a little flatter when there's no audience to laugh and lighten the mood

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the whole thing was just off because the show is written and delivered for an audience reaction and without that the timing and pacing of jokes feel odd and drawn out and the absence of laughter subconsciously makes you react like when a crowd is silent. But like, it wouldn't have made a lot of sense to work harder and longer hours to adjust for 1 show that they were just doing to say "be smart" so like lets not read into and do that "I Took the Laugh Track Out to Prove Its Not Funny" thing.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, the whole thing was just off because the show is written and delivered for an audience reaction and without that the timing and pacing of jokes feel odd and drawn out and the absence of laughter subconsciously makes you react like when a crowd is silent. But like, it wouldn't have made a lot of sense to work harder and longer hours to adjust for 1 show that they were just doing to say "be smart" so like lets not read into and do that "I Took the Laugh Track Out to Prove Its Not Funny" thing.

what? I don't think anyone's trying to prove the show's not funny or whatever... sorry for commenting.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That wasn't really directed at you. Sorry about that. Its just that the "off timing for jokes" thing was kind of the answer to both things.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tiggum posted:

On the plus side, I'm curious to see if, as I've always suspected, this show would be better without a live audience.

Turns out you were wrong

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
It might be better without a live studio audience if it was written and constructed that way entirely.
But this show was one that was written with the intention of a live audience but then filmed without one. This is definitely a lower quality product, but I'm sure if you told the creators of the show a month in advance that they had to do one without an audience they would script it differently, pace it differently, shoot it differently, edit it differently and the product would be as good as normal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Turns out you were wrong
Nah. Even with the weirdness of the show obviously being designed with a live audience in mind, I still really enjoyed not having to wait for the audience. Oliver just needed to stop pausing for laughter that obviously wasn't coming.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I thought the bit where he asked Geraldo to hold his breath came off as a bit serial killer-y, and both me and the life partner adored it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/last-week-tonight-john-oliver-and-real-time-bill-maher-hbo-coronavirus-1203544022/

LWT is back this Sunday, filmed from John's house in quarantine. There better be PJs involved.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

We know there won't be a laugh track because he's talked about how his wife does not find him funny.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I guess she must be with him for his rugged good looks then.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oddly enough I think I prefer TDS without an audience. It's still not great mind you but it's somehow better

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Hopefully it goes OK. Seth Meyers has been doing his closer look segments from home for youtube and it's been pretty solid, hopefully they adjust to the home format well and don't put in as many audience laugh breaks

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Conan and Colbert were loving golden when they had no audience or staff.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Lurdiak posted:

Conan and Colbert were loving golden when they had no audience or staff.

That was visibly Conan’s strong suit even before the Writers Strike. John just seems too married to his format to deviate from it at all.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Baronash posted:

That was visibly Conan’s strong suit even before the Writers Strike. John just seems too married to his format to deviate from it at all.

Steven. But yes. He's fallen a long way since he left Comedy Central.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Oh my. The last segment. As soon as he started talking I knew immediately what he was going to show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Game of Thrones Season 8 (2019)