Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i play with a ds4 these days

i learned sf2 on a snes controller, its where i belong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

get back on discord dork

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkBrNGeFwoU

oh poo poo they actually did Xen

also makes me realize how disappointed i was with hl2

What the gently caress I had no idea this was happening.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Godholio posted:

What the gently caress I had no idea this was happening.

it was the first thing approved under steam greenlight

and also the last to release

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
BL3 allows crossplatform gaming.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

do you fuckers want to get a civ v game going online

I suck, but Civ V is something I play with some regularity.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I'm gonna excuse myself from the internet and connect this 1,3kg monster of a graphics card now.

RIP my system

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Graphics card update:

Turns out this thing actually weighs a bunch:

Okay, it seems this may not just be an issue of weight, but one of dimensions :stare:

Well, this is fun so far:

90 minutes later, I finally managed to cram the "too big" thing into the "too small case".

Here's where I hosed up: Despite connecting all cables and thinking I'm good, it turns out that I hadn't COMPLETELY connected the 8-pin PCI-E connectors to the card (in addition to the regular 6-pin connector I've used on every other card I've used so far).
For some stupid reason, it seems that the 6-pin connection supplies not only all the ~sick LED lights~ but also the functional diode. So it looks like even though you've not quite established the full required power connection for your dumb graphics card, it'll still light up like you did.

Queue 90 minutes of furiously drinking beer and troubleshooting since my system won't give me a display output, until I went with the "have you turned it off and on again?"-approach and realized the 8-pin PCI-E connector wasn't all the way in.

So after an unnecessary amount of beer and nerves, I get the system running and queue the 3D-Mark benchmark to give me a quick summary of a before/after picture:

:stare:
That is one hell of an upgrade.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

REPUBLIC OF GAMERS

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I still got my Asus ROG laptop backpack, it’s nice

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The Deutschbag in me kinda anticipated that this thing would be "a bit" underwhelming, and so - despite my "Realtalk"-post yesterday - I had almost settled on returning it later this year.

But good heavens, this loving fat piece of circuits packs a goddamn punch.

I'm gonna use tomorrow to finish ripping and tearing the last bit of Doom 2016 on Max graphics settings 💀💀💀

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

REPUBLIC OF GAMERS

I didn't even know what ASUS ROG stood for until I found the "REPUBLIC OF GAMERS" doorhanger that came with my mobo \

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

unironically want that

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I don't think I threw it away, but also my :effort: to ship it to you before I go to 3 weeks of "gently caress you" level exercises are pretty minimal.....

Feel free to DM me deets, and if I DO happen to have the gumption to go to the USPS before I roll out next week, I'll send it to you. No promises, as I'm feeling lazy.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

REPUBLIC OF GAMERS

They targeted gamers. Gamers!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

If you think a single LED-lit slogan on a graphics card is bad, y'all should have seen the dumb poo poo I did with my tax-free paychecks courtesy of the military back in my ~sick casemodder & tuning~ days 16 years ago.

Paying 850 bucks for a Gainward GeForce 6800 Ultra, and then shelling out another 500 bucks for an Antec case with a 200mm exhaust fan, a Noctua passive cooler, four more 120mm Noctua fans, and a ~~~COOLERMASTER~~~ LCD fan control because "the case didn't fit the performance profile of my hardware" still makes me cringe to this very day.

Dear God, service guarantees stupidity :cripes:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Graphics card update:

Turns out this thing actually weighs a bunch:

Okay, it seems this may not just be an issue of weight, but one of dimensions :stare:

Well, this is fun so far:

90 minutes later, I finally managed to cram the "too big" thing into the "too small case".

Here's where I hosed up: Despite connecting all cables and thinking I'm good, it turns out that I hadn't COMPLETELY connected the 8-pin PCI-E connectors to the card (in addition to the regular 6-pin connector I've used on every other card I've used so far).
For some stupid reason, it seems that the 6-pin connection supplies not only all the ~sick LED lights~ but also the functional diode. So it looks like even though you've not quite established the full required power connection for your dumb graphics card, it'll still light up like you did.

Queue 90 minutes of furiously drinking beer and troubleshooting since my system won't give me a display output, until I went with the "have you turned it off and on again?"-approach and realized the 8-pin PCI-E connector wasn't all the way in.

So after an unnecessary amount of beer and nerves, I get the system running and queue the 3D-Mark benchmark to give me a quick summary of a before/after picture:

:stare:
That is one hell of an upgrade.

You showed me yours so I'll show you mine

Neat thing is you theoretically should be able to run Port Royal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX0VbzXs548

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 15, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Was going to download that free CoD battle royale game but at 96 loving gigs, not happening. They've gotta be making people download the whole loving new modern warfare to play the free part, that's loving Bethesda levels of bullshit.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Was going to download that free CoD battle royale game but at 96 loving gigs, not happening. They've gotta be making people download the whole loving new modern warfare to play the free part, that's loving Bethesda levels of bullshit.

Its because Activision in particular forgot how to patch, and so they just make people re-download the entire game, even if the game has a lot of shared assets with the mainline game.

They also do this with their regular-rear end patches for Call of Duty, you'll often wind up having to re-download the entire game when they "patch".

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Oh cool, 3dmark is $30 nowadays. :geno:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Godholio posted:

But how else am I supposed to get into a computer dickwaving contest?

Superposition is pretty good, it's short, nice looking, and free.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 15, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

orange juche posted:

Its because Activision in particular forgot how to patch, and so they just make people re-download the entire game, even if the game has a lot of shared assets with the mainline game.

They also do this with their regular-rear end patches for Call of Duty, you'll often wind up having to re-download the entire game when they "patch".

Yeah, Im not keen on eating that much space up on the old xbone anyhow. That's just absurd for a "free" game.

Pretty sure Bethesda did that with a few of the first updates to Fallout 76 but I haven't played that in ages for obvious "it sucks" reasons.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i grabbed it and got annoyed that its being a pain i. the rear end about using a ds4

bengy81
May 8, 2010
CoD battle Royale is real good. For that matter the CoD is currently really good. I don't remember liking one this much since like BLOPS 1 or something.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i downloaded it and ill hop on in a bit

i liked the BR mode in cod mobile

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Godholio posted:

The basic version is free, and it's perfectly fine for a simple ol' benchmark, :shrug:
Not sure what one would need a premium benchmark tool for...does it do a benchmark, but...prettier? Or upload options I guess?

And if anyone thinks I'm trying to dick-wave with a 2060 :lol:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The basic version is free, and it's perfectly fine for a simple ol' benchmark, :shrug:
Not sure what one would need a premium benchmark tool for...does it do a benchmark, but...prettier? Or upload options I guess?

And if anyone thinks I'm trying to dick-wave with a 2060 :lol:

I’ve got a GeForce RTX 2070 8GB.... is it.. bad? Built this system back in November.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
No it's just the mid-range card. Computer nerds drop ducats on this poo poo so some WILL dickwave, but it's usually just who spent more or has a sponsor.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I’ve got a GeForce RTX 2070 8GB.... is it.. bad? Built this system back in November.

It's perfectly fine, more than enough for the next two years of good-quality gaming easily, I'd say.
I eyeballed the 8GB 2070 as well, but stuck to my budget. A 2060 should be perfectly fine until I build a new system

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

orange juche posted:

But how else am I supposed to get into a computer dickwaving contest?

Superposition is pretty good, it's short, nice looking, and free.

For being a benchmark tool, the website download is slow as loving balls.

edit :

ok so good/bad? I've no loving idea. haven't done benchmark poo poo since voodoo2 sli days

ded fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 15, 2020

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the new cod br is real fun, I've played a few rounds already. You don't have to deal with a bullshit loot system, just find a gun already outfitted the way you want and go kill dudes. If you die you go to the gulag and get a chance to respawn if you win thunderdome. Ttk is super short, contacts let you earn extra cash and cash lets you buy airstrikes and other stuff. Sucks about the download size.

Also it's cross platform so you get a chance to wreck console scrubs a lot

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 15, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If you think a single LED-lit slogan on a graphics card is bad, y'all should have seen the dumb poo poo I did with my tax-free paychecks courtesy of the military back in my ~sick casemodder & tuning~ days 16 years ago.

Paying 850 bucks for a Gainward GeForce 6800 Ultra, and then shelling out another 500 bucks for an Antec case with a 200mm exhaust fan, a Noctua passive cooler, four more 120mm Noctua fans, and a ~~~COOLERMASTER~~~ LCD fan control because "the case didn't fit the performance profile of my hardware" still makes me cringe to this very day.

Dear God, service guarantees stupidity :cripes:

i had such a hardon for the 6800

also i am reasonably sure that i had a case with a 30cm fan on the side, it actually owned because being so big it didn't need to move quickly at all so it was hella quiet

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ded posted:

For being a benchmark tool, the website download is slow as loving balls.

edit :

ok so good/bad? I've no loving idea. haven't done benchmark poo poo since voodoo2 sli days

In order for it to be fair you gotta have the same settings, but there's a leaderboard they link to in the main screen where you can go to feel completely outclassed in your computer parts by people who dropped $1400 on a graphics card. If I cared to pay to put my name on the board, I'd be somewhere between these two people

The secret sauce why my score is better than yours is I spent a couple hours overclocking my GPU a while back in order to get the most I could out of it. Thanks to MSI Afterburner being not-stupid, it's not possible to overvolt the card anymore because they realized it'd be dumb to let people burn their GPUs to a crisp like that, it's just a % target that the GPU can opt to use, or not, same as Power Limit and Temp Limit. After that it's just cranking up the core clock in 5-10mhz increments until you hit either the thermal limit of your case, or you start seeing artifacts or your benchmark locks up, in which case you back it down 5-10 mhz and check to see if its stable, and that's your top frequency. Same with memory except you take bigger jumps.

There's even an OC Finder tool you can hit on the top left of MSI Afterburner that will land you in the ballpark of your maximum performance, you just max out the power/temp/voltage slider percents and hit the button and it will repeatedly stress test the gpu until it hits instability, and then tell you what it managed to do.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 15, 2020

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've never bothered looking into OCing this thing, might be worth a shot.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

orange juche posted:

lol love coming home with a few hours before bed only to download a 1 mb patch and have it “copy” the entire game file for like two hours

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got about three games in last night, then mid match my computer just reboots on it's own. Try to play warzone and it won't work unless it's in safe mode, and running anything other than very low textures makes it crash again :shrug: hopefully it's just a driver reinstall and I don't need to redownload the whole thing or worse, my computer is making GBS threads the bed.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
we're pretty late in the current nVidia GPU lifecycles, new 3xxx series will probably be dropping towards the end of the year. RTX is cool the but current gen has never been a great price/performance prospect. if you need a card NOW and cost is an issue, the 1660ti is pretty awesome.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

orange juche posted:

In order for it to be fair you gotta have the same settings, but there's a leaderboard they link to in the main screen where you can go to feel completely outclassed in your computer parts by people who dropped $1400 on a graphics card. If I cared to pay to put my name on the board, I'd be somewhere between these two people

The secret sauce why my score is better than yours is I spent a couple hours overclocking my GPU a while back in order to get the most I could out of it. Thanks to MSI Afterburner being not-stupid, it's not possible to overvolt the card anymore because they realized it'd be dumb to let people burn their GPUs to a crisp like that, it's just a % target that the GPU can opt to use, or not, same as Power Limit and Temp Limit. After that it's just cranking up the core clock in 5-10mhz increments until you hit either the thermal limit of your case, or you start seeing artifacts or your benchmark locks up, in which case you back it down 5-10 mhz and check to see if its stable, and that's your top frequency. Same with memory except you take bigger jumps.

There's even an OC Finder tool you can hit on the top left of MSI Afterburner that will land you in the ballpark of your maximum performance, you just max out the power/temp/voltage slider percents and hit the button and it will repeatedly stress test the gpu until it hits instability, and then tell you what it managed to do.

I haven't bothered to OC anything and I'm capped at 60fps anyways on this screen. 4k screens with sync that are higher than 60hz were stupid expensive when I looked at 32 inchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

OC is still a thing in 2020?

I mean I know you can do it safely and reliably I just thought we moved past all that