Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

limp_cheese posted:

Just had an argument with my mom today about Medicare for All and her argument boiled down to "if you don't work you don't deserve health insurance." When I pressed her further she started talking about how she believes "working is morally good" so therefor those that don't work don't deserve healthcare. I don't have a job so I asked her if that means I'm immoral and she said "No because you are a special case" and she "only believes that for herself." Its been hard as hell to convince her that work isn't intrinsically morally good and everyone should have healthcare because they are people but I think if I keep on using my situation as an example I'll get through to her eventually.

She told me she is going out with people to the Elk's Lodge tonight for a get together and I mentioned she shouldn't go because she is over 60 but she doesn't care, yet earlier was bitching that young people are too rude to old people and don't listen to their elders with this "OK Boomer" poo poo.

It’s always a loving “special case” or “different” when it’s affecting them directly. Hypocritical pieces of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cheesus posted:

Listening to my Millenial-Boomer wife talk to her Boomer mother about the Corina virus and explaining that it's all just overblown hysteria.

She's trying to convince her mother to drive 5 hours next weekend for her monthly visit.

And of course trying to demonstrate that she's an expert despite having no training and not paying attention to anything that has been explained by any authority at all.

It's infuriating and glorious at the same time.

:sever:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Her mother is convinced she's a fully woke liberal, but was all in on Warren for the MA primary. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she saw the winds of change and at the last minute voted Biden instead.

Two months ago she ranted about how Asians come to her area, bring their families, and "Isn't it funny that they all seem to know how to apply for government financial assistance?"

Hearing her Boomer rear end get Boomer advice in the face of a Boomer pandemic from the daughter she enabled her entire life is the kind of stuff you can inject in your veins.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
‘Special case’ being white unemploys with privileged white people college ‘degrees’.

Kidding kidding I have lots of white friends.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Shaocaholica posted:

‘Special case’ being white unemploys with privileged white people college ‘degrees’.

Kidding kidding I have lots of white friends.

You're not kidding that's literally my but don't worry my boner parents defend me that way too besides me taking good from panties this month to get by

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Cheesus posted:

Her mother is convinced she's a fully woke liberal, but was all in on Warren for the MA primary. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she saw the winds of change and at the last minute voted Biden instead.

Two months ago she ranted about how Asians come to her area, bring their families, and "Isn't it funny that they all seem to know how to apply for government financial assistance?"

Hearing her Boomer rear end get Boomer advice in the face of a Boomer pandemic from the daughter she enabled her entire life is the kind of stuff you can inject in your veins.

Make a post on r/relationships or something and then link that to the r/relationships thread here.

Eldercain posted:

You're not kidding that's literally my but don't worry my boner parents defend me that way too besides me taking good from panties this month to get by

Oh, food from pantries. Initially I thought you had to sell used panties to get by.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Eldercain posted:

this a great post all around

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Peanut President posted:

this a great post all around

This post made me realize that kids these days aren't going to understand "teh"

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Barudak posted:

ti s bullshit

they don't actually believe any of this.

barudak i'm not ragging on you but i want to make a general point about boomers, and all conservatives: they know they're arguing in bad faith and they don't care. their arguments, universally, are what would have to be true in order for their prejudice to make sense. they think immigrants are a wave of diseased terrorists because that's the excuse that justifies the wall. they think the cities are full of violent gangs because that justifies their pastoral superiority. they don't wash their hands because they can't be harmed.

if you want to argue against this, you have to get at the root of what they actually believe about themselves and call it into question.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

My mom eventually admitted she was being hypocritical by labeling me a "special case" so I replied stop being a hypocrite then. She hemmed and hawwed and would eventually fall back on "well I didn't have it so these moochers shouldn't have it" and "that's the way its always been." The conservative mindset so distilled you could make a cocktail out of it.

I'm wounded military so "I'm a special case and earned it" is her excuse why its ok for me. I tell her that's bullshit and someone shouldn't have to get shot in a foreign country to get healthcare. I hate that "Service guarantees Citizenship" horse poo poo.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cheesus posted:

Just how pretty is your wife?

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

limp_cheese posted:

"Service guarantees Citizenship"

She must be spitting mad about the half dozen or so foreign-born vets (that I'm aware of) that Trump's goons have deported to date then.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

e.pilot posted:

It’s always a loving “special case” or “different” when it’s affecting them directly. Hypocritical pieces of poo poo.

Immortalized by the phrase, "The only moral abortion is my abortion."

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

My mom eventually admitted she was being hypocritical by labeling me a "special case" so I replied stop being a hypocrite then. She hemmed and hawwed and would eventually fall back on "well I didn't have it so these moochers shouldn't have it" and "that's the way its always been." The conservative mindset so distilled you could make a cocktail out of it.

I'm wounded military so "I'm a special case and earned it" is her excuse why its ok for me. I tell her that's bullshit and someone shouldn't have to get shot in a foreign country to get healthcare. I hate that "Service guarantees Citizenship" horse poo poo.

vorhees nailed heinlein bigtime

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

vorhees nailed heinlein bigtime

I missed that part of Jason X.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
Verhoeven I'm assuming. Mandela effect strikes again.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Pretty sure Verhoeven starship troopers universe had universal health care. They just didn’t have universal voting. Not saying that’s a good thing.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Shifty Pony posted:

My father is absolutely obsessed with the idea that old computer hardware will suddenly become super valuable. Like yeah sure dad that piece of whatever from 35 years ago is interesting but in the same way that a random bit of quartz in a rock is interesting - makes ya think about how it got there but ain't nobody gonna pay for it.

Does he have an IBM 5100? Asking for some guy who says he's my son.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

She hemmed and hawwed and would eventually fall back on "well I didn't have it so these moochers shouldn't have it" and "that's the way its always been." The conservative mindset so distilled you could make a cocktail out of it.

Jesus, that is chilling. That is so inherently antisocial and anti-progress it is mind-boggling.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Crab bucket is apt, but the boomer trolley problem edit is even more visceral and maybe it is simple enough to break through their brains

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

this bucket is too nice for for foreign crabs, share if you agree

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Sentient Data posted:

Crab bucket is apt, but the boomer trolley problem edit is even more visceral and maybe it is simple enough to break through their brains

Only if you don't call it the Boomer Trolley Problem.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I missed that part of Jason X.

you know who i mean

the director what murdered all them slutty teens

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

you know who i mean

You may have to narrow it down

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

you know who i mean

Bryan Singer?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

they don't actually believe any of this.

barudak i'm not ragging on you but i want to make a general point about boomers, and all conservatives: they know they're arguing in bad faith and they don't care. their arguments, universally, are what would have to be true in order for their prejudice to make sense. they think immigrants are a wave of diseased terrorists because that's the excuse that justifies the wall. they think the cities are full of violent gangs because that justifies their pastoral superiority. they don't wash their hands because they can't be harmed.

if you want to argue against this, you have to get at the root of what they actually believe about themselves and call it into question.

yeah this was the most important lesson of human psychology i ever learned. people don't actually think through their opinions. there is a part of the brain that has prejudices, and a part of the brain that rationalizes those prejudices, and those parts are separate. arguing with someones rationalizations doesnt address the actual prejudice

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

limp_cheese posted:

Maybe you guys should stop talking to your lovely families

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

ElGroucho posted:

Maybe you guys should stop talking to your lovely families

Nah, now's the time to go for a visit, talk to them a lot, real close, so that they breathe in your moisture droplets.

Maybe prepare them a nice meal. Something that isn't cooked, like a sandwich, or a salad.

Don't wash your hands

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Well you aren't getting any of the Joes when I Biden

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Drunk Nerds posted:

Well you aren't getting any of the Joes when I Biden

:nice:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Rutibex posted:

yeah this was the most important lesson of human psychology i ever learned. people don't actually think through their opinions. there is a part of the brain that has prejudices, and a part of the brain that rationalizes those prejudices, and those parts are separate. arguing with someones rationalizations doesnt address the actual prejudice

yup. you gotta get to the WHY of people believe this, and they'll lie to your face as the day is long because they think their bile doesn't stink outside their own throats.

edit- as part of a mutual aid covid response group i advocated abolishing evictions and foreclosures, you won't believe who took umbridge to this idea. BUH BUH BUH IF I CANT EVICT IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC ILL GET FORECLOSED UPON! BOOO HOOO HOO MY THREE HOUSES

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Death to landlords

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

gently caress Pink Floyd.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

On another topic, not sure if it's been covered:

Boomers love creating meatgrinder of a society via malign neglect/periodic moral panics, where the only way a young person can navigate it and succeed is to be an amoral loving sociopath who amplifies and accelerates every bad tendency and hosed up incentive structure. So that every miserable, hateful twat our generation produces is without fail centrifuged out into positions of power and wealth and notoriety, and held up as the prototypical Homo Millenienis. And every conversation about how hosed we are we due to the bad choices of the Boomers constantly gets derailed with charges that "uh, millenials are greedy too. Zuckerberg, Shkreli, Holmes, ever heard a them!?".

Simply because the only millenials anyone has ever heard of are the eleven or so shitstains who proved themselves to be such eager little gladiators means that we must all be bad right? Even though the only two millenials to be even tangentially related to my social circle who legitimately admired that kind of person/behavior were sad, lonely, and universally shunned.

But no one cares about us because we didn't turn a hot-or-not creepshots site into a worldwide surveillance and misinformation network, destroying journalism, comedy, and the internet more generally in the process. Because we weren't smart enough to see the potential for disruption, obviously.

FogHelmut posted:

gently caress Pink Floyd.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 15, 2020

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Beachcomber posted:

Just how pretty is your wife?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Cheesus posted:

:wtc: :sever:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
that's not at all the case and, in fact, a huge amount of work falls on self-organized care groups to help onboard new immigrants. i know y'all know that i just want y'all to have the language to descibe Why That's hosed (TM).

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

PipHelix posted:

Boy, sorry to yank this all the way from forever ago in this thread but god drat. I thought I had a pretty level headed centrist-lib type dad until one point coming home, mentioning Sandra Bland in an offhand 'You *believe* this poo poo goin on out here?" and he immediately goes into "Why'd she talk back, you never do that to a cop." and all this smug kinda "talk poo poo get hit" type stuff like he's aware cops abuse their powers to just deal out violence without cause or justification and it's one wrong word away, but isn't that cool.

And then I push back on that and he's like "Every cop at a traffic stop puts his hand on a car in case he gets shot they can use the prints as evidence when they find the person." And then I'm like, the gently caress you heard that bullshit, they have live streaming cameras in their dashboards and automatic license plate readers that upload any car that gets NEAR their cruiser with a ton of metadata every second.

Anyway, I got to have the standard college sophomore thanksgiving dinner table politics fight with my old man as an adult WELL into his 30s, who always assumed his parents were politically solid. And I think it might be new, too. I feel like during Rodney King and LA afterwards, if he believed that poo poo at the time I woulda heard about it. Would love to figure out how he became a Cop Respector. But it's definitely put some distance between me and him.

Man, I just don't understand that poo poo; I'm 52 years old and my opinion of cops wasn't very good to begin with, and thanks to universal phone cameras and the internet, I'm now pretty squarely in the ACAB/fire 'em all(out of a cannon) and start over mindset. Even my 76-year-old father has moved from "some cops are bad people" to "WTF are these fascist assholes doing?" How can anyone not see the entrenched shitshow that is American police and not be disgusted by it all?

I feel bad for y'all with Foxnews-brainwashed parents - I've certainly had my issues with my folks, but I don't have to deal with horrific political crap when we get together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

JnnyThndrs posted:

Man, I just don't understand that poo poo; I'm 52 years old and my opinion of cops wasn't very good to begin with, and thanks to universal phone cameras and the internet, I'm now pretty squarely in the ACAB/fire 'em all(out of a cannon) and start over mindset. Even my 76-year-old father has moved from "some cops are bad people" to "WTF are these fascist assholes doing?" How can anyone not see the entrenched shitshow that is American police and not be disgusted by it all?

Fun fact, I got picked up for an underager and the cop couldn't help himself trying to just avalanche gently caress me when it came time for him to testify. How it went down was after he nabbed me I had basically sniffled and cried and at one point asked him if he could just take me home in the cuffs and call it square. But nawp, took me in, prints booked and all, and when it came time to describe it at the magistrate I was basically the prototypical Antifa Super Solider, fighting him and talking all kinds of 'anti-authority' stuff in the back seat. I guess he felt he needed to do what he had to to make sure I wasn't around to victimize society by having 5 beers and trying to walk home, like Pacino in Insomnia.

Anyway, it worked out fine I got some community service and my record wiped after. But: My mom swallowed the cops BS and afterwards was about to lit into me and my *Dad*, 20 years ago, cut her off and said 'it was all bullshit, obviously, come on'. (I was, lets say, not the coolest or toughest of kids). So, we're talking about my dad, a man who saw a cop commit perjury to try to torpedo the future of a kid he didn't know from Adam, based on absolutely nothing - 25 mostly silent minutes in a squad car 2 months prior. Dad saw that happen to his flesh and blood.

And now decades on he vacillates between 'cops are hardass hooraw quasitrewps and we must respect them' to, when that behavior is shown to be wildly inappropriate and dangerous, 'cops are a bunch of knock-kneed pisspants screaming mimi hysterics because of all the danger they face in tyool 2020, (crime rate compared to when he came up, ~15-20%).'

He tried sending me 'cop plays basketball with random kid in street' social media posts, and I would always fire back with like, the latest batch of eight 'cop shoots handcuffed black guy in back of squad car, claims he was trying to steal his gun' and 'relative risks of being a cop vs, say a garbage man' and 'Cops beat the poo poo out of (black) city garbageman for talking poo poo about how they were driving unsafely near his truck' links. He quit that poo poo around 2016.

I'm sure it'll get worse.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 15, 2020