Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

WarpedNaba posted:

Calling South Korea a democracy might be a bit of a stretch, though.
Sorceress' conclave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

Sorceress' conclave?

It's a coven or a cabal.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

As someone in South Korea at the moment, (albeit rural Gangwon-do), the response here has been fine. A bunch of stuff in my small town is still open, some stuff is closed, supermarkets have ample supplies of toilet paper etc. I have been teaching online classes for the last 2 weeks and all is well. Also due to CORVID19-unrelated medical issues I have been in an ambulance, and to 2 different hospitals in those 2 weeks, and whilst everybody is wearing masks, (it is enforced at the door along with hand sanitizer), all is groovy.

And whilst I am talking about unrelated stuff. I have decided that I am not renewing my contract here. (Nothing to do with the place, just don't like job hours and the owner/boss) My contract runs out in May so I know that I have come to this decision a bit late, but does anyone higher up the food chain than me know if people will be hiring in ESL jobs due to Corona? I mean will employers be willing to take on foreigners due to fear? Or will I be more attractive to them as I am willing to move to Asia/Europe, when possibly they will be experiencing a lack of applicants?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Well...... Who knew Children of Men would come true.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BrigadierSensible posted:

And whilst I am talking about unrelated stuff. I have decided that I am not renewing my contract here. (Nothing to do with the place, just don't like job hours and the owner/boss) My contract runs out in May so I know that I have come to this decision a bit late, but does anyone higher up the food chain than me know if people will be hiring in ESL jobs due to Corona? I mean will employers be willing to take on foreigners due to fear? Or will I be more attractive to them as I am willing to move to Asia/Europe, when possibly they will be experiencing a lack of applicants?

i wouldn't recommend this line of work at the moment.

various governments are either currently enacting or preparing to enact a state of emergency, and depending on the country, their emergency policies can also include reduction or up to total suspension of wages for ESL assistant-type teachers (and even normal teachers). being unable to rely on even receiving a paycheck at all because of factors outside of your control isn't fun in your home country, but now imagine that except you're living abroad, you still have to pay bills and rent, and you'll have to pay your company if you say gently caress this and break contract after the third consecutive month of not receiving a wage whatsoever

Raged posted:

Well...... Who knew Children of Men would come true.

"may cause" means they might as well be excluding "all subjects exhibiting impotence also happen to come from prefectures where lead is in the water and the air, and the building materials their apartments are made of contain depleted uranium"

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 15, 2020

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The White Dragon posted:

i wouldn't recommend this line of work at the moment.

various governments are either currently enacting or preparing to enact a state of emergency, and depending on the country, this can also include suspension of wages for ESL assistant-type teachers (and even normal teachers). being unable to rely on even receiving a paycheck at all because of factors outside of your control isn't fun in your home country, but now imagine that except you're living abroad and you'll have to pay your company if you break contract

Thanks for the advice, and yeah, this is one of my concerns. Another is will I be even be able to fly home. Australia is notoriously xenophobic and has a government that gets an erection from the very words "close the borders". So maybe in a couple of months they won't be accepting flights home from Seoul.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
LOOKS LIKE MEATS BACK ON THE MENU BOYS!

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

A little piece of news that caught my eye: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/chinese-executive-who-called-xi-a-clown-over-coronavirus-response-is-missing

quote:

Chinese executive who called Xi a 'clown' over coronavirus response 'is missing'

Friends of the high-profile former property developer say they have been unable to contact him for three days

An influential former Chinese property executive who called president Xi Jinping a “clown” over a speech he made last month about the government’s efforts to battle the coronavirus has gone missing, according to his friends.

Ren Zhiqiang, a member of China’s ruling Communist party and a former top executive of state-controlled property developer Huayuan Real Estate Group, has not been contactable since 12 March, three of his friends told Reuters.

Who's the clown now :smuggo:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just saw a breaking news tweet that the virus is still not under control In Wuhan

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Are they saying Wuhan?
No, sir...they're saying Woo!!! Han!!!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Wuhan Shot First

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Just got "official" word from our school that all foreigners entering china through Beijing must spend 14 days in a "quarantine facility" (cheap hotel?) at their own expense. I guess I'm glad we never left...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

hell yeah thx

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
:goatsecx:

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Shouldn't it be Hong Kong SARS-2 China now?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Mods please change my name to ChinaIsAsshoe

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

yaffle posted:

Just got "official" word from our school that all foreigners entering china through Beijing must spend 14 days in a "quarantine facility" (cheap hotel?) at their own expense. I guess I'm glad we never left...

They say in all the announcements that you'll have to cover the expenses, but there's a place they'll put you in for free in Shanghai. Know a guy locked up in it right now, he says the food sucks and he cant get booze but other than that it's not really too bad. The only other option they gave him was 500rmb a night so gently caress that.

It's just a hotel it's not some weird quarantine facility built in 10 days or something.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Well I mean not like there's a shortage of hotel rooms right now.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I'm still in Osaka, things are still pretty much business as usual except for the park closures and event cancellations. I'm getting increasingly paranoid though. I'm going to see how this week goes, all my vendors have bailed and theres only so much I can do here without them anyways. But I'm still not sure if I'm better off here or back home in Orlando. All the offices are shut down with strict Work From Home orders for everyone. Its apparently hard to get much food or other supplies. My job is on the construction site though, so not entirely sure what I would be doing if I do bail.

I'm just so unsure and trying not to panic.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Meanwhile, Genesis P-Orridge quietly died without waiting for the sexy virus.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

China already announced it will continue to have 6% GDP growth this year despite reality the pandemic.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Absolutely no loving surprise that 'Patient 31', who infected over a thousand people in South Korea, is a 61-year old cultist ajumma.

Source

quote:

The woman didn't take the test for coronavirus. She had not travelled overseas since the outbreak began - she reasoned - and had not been in contact with any confirmed cases of the coronavirus (that she knew of).

So, instead of taking the test, she jumped in a taxi to meet with a friend to have a buffet lunch at a hotel in eastern Daegu.

The next day, on February 16, she once again attended services at the Shincheonji Church of Jesus.

Local reports say she argued with a health official for an hour, insisting she couldn't have coronavirus. She eventually conceded, and went to another hospital to be tested.

According to Reuters, "The Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (KCDC) said on Saturday they had obtained a list of 9,300 people who had attended those two Shincheonji church services, around 1,200 of whom had complained of flu-like symptoms. Hundreds of cases have now been confirmed there."

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jeoh posted:

Absolutely no loving surprise that 'Patient 31', who infected over a thousand people in South Korea, is a 61-year old cultist ajumma.

Source

"Typhoid Myung-hee"

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Jeoh posted:

Source

It's wild to me that Korea got this under control when dealing with a secret christian cult actively hiding their members very early on, while the UK, Japan, and the US duke it out for which place can gently caress it up the response most.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

It's wild to me that Korea got this under control when dealing with a secret christian cult actively hiding their members very early on, while the UK, Japan, and the US duke it out for which place can gently caress it up the response most.

They treated it seriously and actually threw money and resources at the problem immediately. That's the thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Korea being competent is the wild thing. Their government is usually pretty bumbling, this containment is the most impressive thing they've done in a long time.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Magna Kaser posted:

Just to clarify. They were hiding their members (as in their members that had infiltrated the various levels of government) or they were hiding members who were infected because they wanted to bring about the "end of days"?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Magna Kaser posted:

in the US, the Christian cult is running the country

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Korea being competent is the wild thing. Their government is usually pretty bumbling, this containment is the most impressive thing they've done in a long time.

Well, it did come at the tail end of them tossing out a bunch of people for corruption after a gigantic scandal. Probably takes time for the new officials to get comfortable and complacent in their positions and decide they won't be similarly ruined for being ineffective shitheels. In China and the US the incompetent fuckups responsible are pretty well cemented into their positions, at least until the next US election.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 16, 2020

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Blistex posted:

Just to clarify. They were hiding their members (as in their members that had infiltrated the various levels of government) or they were hiding members who were infected because they wanted to bring about the "end of days"?

I can't find the exact news reports I read a couple of weeks ago when it was going on, so I may be getting some details wrong. But if I recall correctly the group had especially intimate services where everyone sat in close proximity which why it spread like crazy. They also told their members Jesus and God protect them so they can't get sick, and when authorities came around asking for who went to the services they weren't cooperative at all.

So kind of a boring middle ground between your two scenarios.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Why is Korea such a haven for weird cult poo poo? Moonies, the president having a personal shaman, Shincheonji, all of North Korea. A lot of it has a heavy emphasis on getting huge groups of people together do do things in sync for whatever reason like moonie weddings, mass games, the shincheonji services, and extreme conformity (apparently like 95% of South Korean cars are black, white, or silver; or the way plastic surgery to make you look like everyone else is the norm). Is there any sociological type thing to read about this, it's kind of interesting to me.

shincheonji, not north korean mass games

d0s fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 16, 2020

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

d0s posted:

Why is Korea such a haven for weird cult poo poo? Moonies, the president having a personal shaman, Shincheonji, all of North Korea. A lot of it has a heavy emphasis on getting huge groups of people together do do things in sync for whatever reason like moonie weddings, mass games, the shincheonji services, and extreme conformity (apparently like 95% of South Korean cars are black, white, or silver; or the way plastic surgery to make you look like everyone else is the norm). Is there any sociological type thing to read about this, it's kind of interesting to me.

I don't really have an answer, but this article sheds some light about the history of Shincheonji and its predecessor, the Olive Tree movement. Basically these churches got their start during the Korean War as a place for people to find spiritual comfort and meaning while the world around them was falling apart. Then, when South Korea went through rapid industrialization during the Park dictatorship, people that were left out of the economic growth turned to these churches.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/06/asia/religious-movements-south-korea-intl-hnk/index.html

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

CIGNX posted:

I don't really have an answer, but this article sheds some light about the history of Shincheonji and its predecessor, the Olive Tree movement. Basically these churches got their start during the Korean War as a place for people to find spiritual comfort and meaning while the world around them was falling apart. Then, when South Korea went through rapid industrialization during the Park dictatorship, people that were left out of the economic growth turned to these churches.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/06/asia/religious-movements-south-korea-intl-hnk/index.html

Another reason was that being a devout Christian was usually a good indicator that you were not a Communist sympathizer or a North Korean agent, so they were seen as more trustworthy (one reason why the Government was full of them), then like every group with perceived special privileges, everyone wanted to hop on the gravy-train. I think there were some stories (not sure if they were true) during the mass executions of potential communists that some people were spared when they pulled out crosses and started praying. Probably a rumour, but it's the kind of rumour that (at the time) would compel people to "find Jesus" in case there was another incident.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
So China's reporting that they've only had 4 new cases since the last report.

... right. Incidentally, the Beeb report that placed that on the live update seems to have disappeared off of the face of the earth. So much for that gag reflex, I guess.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Re: Korea cults, it feels like a place where Christianity meets all the stuff that was there before, and it all gets taken seriously.

Like, Japan is also an interface, but they don't really take it seriously, so it doesn't have quite the same effect.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Cultures where there is a history of choreographed performance smells like militaristic heritage to me. Its a good way to maintain training in your population for when the northern invaders drop in.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Wait, what cultures don't have some version of group dance in?

Do cheerleaders count?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WarpedNaba posted:

Do cheerleaders count?

Square dance baby

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

WarpedNaba posted:

Do cheerleaders count?

Electric slide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Black Friday shopping stampedes are a form of group performance by the poor for the entertainment of the rich.