Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I posted this dude earlier in the thread, he has several of these I think and he plays the shittiest of poo poo black metal if I recall correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I kinda want to try that extra sharp guitar for some reason (probably due to my secret love of warlock shaped guitars). As classic as the surfboard guitar is I don't want to touch it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

sigher posted:

I posted this dude earlier in the thread, he has several of these I think and he plays the shittiest of poo poo black metal if I recall correctly.

Well that’s a relief, I thought it would be tappy tappy shred

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Snowy posted:

Well that’s a relief, I thought it would be tappy tappy shred

Yeah, ”poo poo black metal” is the best case scenario for that pic.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wihSYI2wPfo

i can’t find the original video now... :smith:

e: NEVER MIND! :buddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pywfDqHEZJY

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 14, 2020

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

0/10 for lack of reverb-soaked surf guitar

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Wait, is surfboard-guitar dude Masayoshi Takanaka?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pondex posted:

Wait, is surfboard-guitar dude Masayoshi Takanaka?

Yep

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And not even the only surfboard he has!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wihSYI2wPfo

:allears:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Don't really know how I feel about that.

I've been digging his An Insatiable High-album for the last few months. I think I'm turning into a jazz/rock-fusion guy. Once you start looking up what session-musicians played on an album it's too late.

Steely Dan. Not even once, kids.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i dunno i like fusion stuff but steely dan sucks

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Pw4t_Falo

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea all those guys could play their dicks off. Sometimes I put on a bit of Boz Scaggs' Lido Shuffle. I'm not immune.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i dunno i like fusion stuff but steely dan sucks

steely dan is yacht rock, not fusion

also, :wrong:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
like jimmy buffett they're yacht rock adjacent at best

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I saw Steely Dan live last year(year before?) It was a pretty good show The Dooby Brothers opened for them. It was a trade I had to make with my partner she went to see Slayer with me I had to go to Steely Dan.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Steely Dan and fusion are both extremely kick rear end and good.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don’t know any steely dan songs but they sure do come up a lot when I hear some random song that sucks rear end and ask who the gently caress is responsible

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

They played a lot of songs that I had no idea they were Steely Dan songs.
I'd go I didn't know they played that and she'd say oh yeah of course.
She was a big band nerd and has a music degree of course she'd be into them.

Slayer was awesome too when we saw them.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Side discussion: if you go see the Doobies don't bootleg the show and definitely DO NOT put the recorder in your pants and then dance around.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I will dance as hard as I want, buddy-boy! An' there's nothing you can do to stop me. :mad:

I'll dance harder than I do with Mr. Brownstone. How about that?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Wark Say posted:

I will dance as hard as I want, buddy-boy! An' there's nothing you can do to stop me. :mad:

I'll dance harder than I do with Mr. Brownstone. How about that?

Well if you want to end your friendship with the Doobies being incredibly disappointed in you and embarrassing you in front of a crowd then go ahead

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well now I'm concerned. :ohdear:

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003

Wark Say posted:

Well now I'm concerned. :ohdear:

You should be!!!

Skunk Baxter (far right) has chaired a Congressional Advisory Board on missile defense, he will gently caress you up

Fuck Your Website fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 15, 2020

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
If I could go back in time to any point in history, my #1 priority would be preventing Steely Dan.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Yes I could absolutely murder baby Steely Dan

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

What do you call that saxophone double note trill thing from the riff from Black Cow? It’s undeniably cool. Remember the 90s Big Pun offshoot group that sampled it and got a top 10 hit? Aaah I am old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VooADVFIY

Now that I think about it hip hop loves LOVES smooth 70s cocaine rock.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Now that I think about it hip hop loves LOVES smooth 70s cocaine rock.

Maybe not any more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaEIC-2wybQ

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Stupid music poo poo I just saw Genisis P-Orridge passed away yesterday.
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51893184

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Thumposaurus posted:

Stupid music poo poo I just saw Genisis P-Orridge passed away yesterday.
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51893184

Can you imagine being the poor bastard who had to try and summarise their career in a BBC friendly obituary??

"Well, first s/he started off as a performance artist who dabbled in live sex acts and onstage violence in bleak industrial North England, helped invent industrial music, tried to turn he/r audience into a paramilitary cult, got heralded as a destroyer of civilisation, and finally sued Rick Rubin for a million dollars when his house burned down. Then things got REALLY weird... Also technically s/he kind of died back in 2007, but really just became a sort of multidimensional being for a bit. It's complicated."

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
in other words way more interesting than steely dan

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I prefer the sound of the Hitachi Magic Wand, personally.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

darkwasthenight posted:

Can you imagine being the poor bastard who had to try and summarise their career in a BBC friendly obituary??

"Well, first s/he started off as a performance artist who dabbled in live sex acts and onstage violence in bleak industrial North England, helped invent industrial music, tried to turn he/r audience into a paramilitary cult, got heralded as a destroyer of civilisation, and finally sued Rick Rubin for a million dollars when his house burned down. Then things got REALLY weird... Also technically s/he kind of died back in 2007, but really just became a sort of multidimensional being for a bit. It's complicated."

And didn’t mention Roman P. Nuts I tell ya.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Laserjet 4P posted:

steely dan is yacht rock, not fusion

also, :wrong:

The most hipster dude I know is in a yacht rock tribute band which is possibly the most hipster thing he could do.

I guess he's living his best life and I can respect that. I can't respect him though because he's a loving wanker.

e: Steely dan is okay I guess. Nice harmonies.

Bill Posters fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 17, 2020

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Steely Dan is fine and I'll rarely change the station if they come on the radio, but I'm always wondering "You spent months in the studio, hiring every studio musician in the world just so you could get everything absolutely perfect and this is what you came up with?" It's mindboggling. It's like locking yourself in a cabin for 20 years to write the great American novel and you come out with a Dean Koontz book.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 17, 2020

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
There’s some great stupid music poo poo in here, including a guitar with two whammy bars, one of those ridiculous Game of Thrones guitars, a guitar with sixteen tones per octave, and plenty of varieties of JEM nonsense. Eminently watchable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyivuwYQhbw

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Lester Shy posted:

Steely Dan is fine and I'll rarely change the station if they come on the radio, but I'm always wondering "You spent months in the studio, hiring every studio musician in the world just so you could get everything absolutely perfect and this is what you came up with?" It's mindboggling. It's like locking yourself in a cabin for 20 years to write the great American novel and you come out with a Dean Koontz book.

A more deserving band should be named after a steam powered dildo from a William S Burroughs book.

Shardy
Jun 21, 2000
I'm a sticky snake!
I like Steely Dan just fine, but I will also admit that when I worked a job where I had to hear Muzak all day, I noticed that nearly every Steely Dan single got turned into elevator music without changing the instrumentation and without losing much in the translation (same for Crowded House)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Elissimpark posted:

A more deserving band should be named after a steam powered dildo from a William S Burroughs book.

steam powered giraffe should've been called steam powered dildo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man, gently caress Steely Dan. Let's talk about XTC instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p554R-Jq43A