Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh gently caress yeah baby nothing says Star Citizen like a fuckin' minute-long traiiiiiiiiiin riiiiiiiiiiiide

https://dai.ly/x7spjmp

half of which you cant even see the city in

and there's no custom audio, it just says 'approaching next stop'. Meanwhile, on Non-Space Planet Earth, even chronically underfunded bus systems have announcers that say what the stop is.

*and* it still glitched out in the second half, causing the view to clip.

The sad thing is that gamers usually insult experiences that are 'On Rails' because they are regarded as lazy and boring. In Star Citizen they are hungrily awaited content for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ewe2 posted:

wind can't blow cos the sky is gone

Ramp goes up, ramp goes down.

You can't explain that.

Never a contradiction.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Quavers posted:

:reddit: [i]Star Citizen Roadmap Update (2020-03-13)

:eng101:

:reddit: Squadron 42 Roadmap Discussion (2020-03-13)

:hmmyes: Fair statement, just get it right eventually and I’m fine with it.

:sigh: It'd be nice to know the actual current state of things other than "We're not as far along as we'd like to be" and "We expect great progress this year". Repeatedly spoken words since 2016. I really hope we get some actual clarification or reasonable estimates. Been wanting this for ages now =/

:rolleyes: It got so old they stopped even saying those words since people now roll their eyes.

:shepspends: At last. A logical decision. Roadmaps are useless to the player with this kind of games.

:lol::lol:

I must admit I dont have the will for an effort researched post but the number of times they have changed the roadmap type so far alone would fill an entire encyclopaedia. Shitizens fall for it. Every. Time.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dementropy posted:

:reddit:: "Star Citizen: Calling All Devs - Squadron 42"
With the current linear roadmap, this would mean that progress would seem to be none-existent, up until the final month, where all the tasks and chapters should suddenly be completed.

Yeah. I've done this kind of advanced parallel AAA development on some freelance projects. It means loving around and realizing in panic that the deadline is tomorrow.

The fun thing with Star Citizen is that they have no deadline and can gently caress around eternally.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sarsapariller posted:

The Calder's are probably just fine with their investment because the whole operation continues to print money on the backs of idiot whales

This is probably one of those times where we just disagree, like we did about :sandance: ages ago.

I’m not predicting End of Days for CIG tomorrow or anything. I do assume, based on what little I know about Calder, that he’s not ambivalent about how his selective investments are managed. He was told his $46 million would be allocated for a massive marketing push of a game hitting beta by Summer 2020. Neither is likely to be true, and CIG’s inability to properly manage their own project probably matters somewhat to the guy.

CIG is less transparent than ever these days, so it’s hard to really tell what’s going on behind the scenes, but that latest Calling All Devs with Lando, Chambers, Elms, Tyler, and the AI guy they’ve been trying to replace for two years sure didn’t convey much confidence. It was bad enough that even Lando seemed embarrassed. Who knew he had it in him?

You’re right that much depends on cash flow. Here, we don’t have much we can trust. We do know Chris was pretty much out of fuel and racing to impact when Calder’s investment bought them more time. It didn’t seem to trouble the backers as much as it should have that Chris could have been so reckless with cash. Perhaps it won’t bother Calder either, but if his music career is any indication, he takes his deals pretty seriously. (Do some “Clive Calder” searches through Google Books to get a sense of the man and see if you disagree.) We do know pretty well how Chris pitched Calder on the investment though, because the 2018 Holiday Livestream was very much an all-hands-on-deck pitch to big money about the bright future of Squadron 42 and the industrious studio that was CIG. Back then he said he’d be wrapping the game up in 2019. I suppose he could’ve told Calder “ignore that it’s really 2022” or something but since money was going into a money burning not a profit earning business, it seems safer to assume Calder was given a bullish release target, too. Given the valuation, bullish sales projections, too.

If the fundraising machinery of CIG performs well enough, perhaps the haplessness and delays won’t matter to Calder. Like TheAgent, though, I personally suspect that the marketplace volatility is a threat to the confidence even of some of the super whales. It’s not just 401ks getting hit, not just Coronavirus shutting down cities or schools or retail.

For example — Will Miku, who makes his money from the Houston oil sector, feel as carefree about cash if the Russian/Saudi oil price war keeps the market at $20? Because at that price there’s a bloodbath coming to the Texas oil industry that employs him.

Every whale is different, and some may be completely free from worry or risk, able to spend endlessly no matter the macroeconomic conditions. Not all will be, though, and outside of the economic factors, older whales face newfound health risks.

I’d be very curious to see what spending looks like in the Italian Star Citizen community of late. Is a countrywide quarantine changing spending behaviors for them? Does an overwhelmed healthcare system freak any of them out enough to curb spaceship buying? It might drive some who have the means to dig deeper in support of their psychological escape vehicle of choice. But it could probably more easily prompt some to reassess their own spending priorities.

Anyway, time will tell what sort of minority investor Calder really is, and whether his investment put Chris on a leash or a shock collar. We’ll also see just how resilient the backer base really is. No matter what the year brings, CitizenCon should be a lot of fun!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

:lesnick: :trustme: :sandance: :pgabz:
Eat, poo poo, star, citizen.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

lobsterminator posted:

Yeah. I've done this kind of advanced parallel AAA development on some freelance projects. It means loving around and realizing in panic that the deadline is tomorrow.

The fun thing with Star Citizen is that they have no deadline and can gently caress around eternally.

Also how can you have a game 8 years in development and never have anything interesting to talk about?

These people talk in the same way I've talked when I had been loving around on my project and had to sound like things are progressing and fine.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

G0RF posted:

This is probably one of those times where we just disagree, like we did about :sandance: ages ago.

I’m not predicting End of Days for CIG tomorrow or anything. I do assume, based on what little I know about Calder, that he’s not ambivalent about how his selective investments are managed. He was told his $46 million would be allocated for a massive marketing push of a game hitting beta by Summer 2020. Neither is likely to be true, and CIG’s inability to properly manage their own project probably matters somewhat to the guy.

CIG is less transparent than ever these days, so it’s hard to really tell what’s going on behind the scenes, but that latest Calling All Devs with Lando, Chambers, Elms, Tyler, and the AI guy they’ve been trying to replace for two years sure didn’t convey much confidence. It was bad enough that even Lando seemed embarrassed. Who knew he had it in him?

You’re right that much depends on cash flow. Here, we don’t have much we can trust. We do know Chris was pretty much out of fuel and racing to impact when Calder’s investment bought them more time. It didn’t seem to trouble the backers as much as it should have that Chris could have been so reckless with cash. Perhaps it won’t bother Calder either, but if his music career is any indication, he takes his deals pretty seriously. (Do some “Clive Calder” searches through Google Books to get a sense of the man and see if you disagree.) We do know pretty well how Chris pitched Calder on the investment though, because the 2018 Holiday Livestream was very much an all-hands-on-deck pitch to big money about the bright future of Squadron 42 and the industrious studio that was CIG. Back then he said he’d be wrapping the game up in 2019. I suppose he could’ve told Calder “ignore that it’s really 2022” or something but since money was going into a money burning not a profit earning business, it seems safer to assume Calder was given a bullish release target, too. Given the valuation, bullish sales projections, too.

If the fundraising machinery of CIG performs well enough, perhaps the haplessness and delays won’t matter to Calder. Like TheAgent, though, I personally suspect that the marketplace volatility is a threat to the confidence even of some of the super whales. It’s not just 401ks getting hit, not just Coronavirus shutting down cities or schools or retail.

For example — Will Miku, who makes his money from the Houston oil sector, feel as carefree about cash if the Russian/Saudi oil price war keeps the market at $20? Because at that price there’s a bloodbath coming to the Texas oil industry that employs him.

Every whale is different, and some may be completely free from worry or risk, able to spend endlessly no matter the macroeconomic conditions. Not all will be, though, and outside of the economic factors, older whales face newfound health risks.

I’d be very curious to see what spending looks like in the Italian Star Citizen community of late. Is a countrywide quarantine changing spending behaviors for them? Does an overwhelmed healthcare system freak any of them out enough to curb spaceship buying? It might drive some who have the means to dig deeper in support of their psychological escape vehicle of choice. But it could probably more easily prompt some to reassess their own spending priorities.

Anyway, time will tell what sort of minority investor Calder really is, and whether his investment put Chris on a leash or a shock collar. We’ll also see just how resilient the backer base really is. No matter what the year brings, CitizenCon should be a lot of fun!

The only alternate reality i can think of is that Clive gave his son a 50 million present to invest as he wanted. He blew 4 million on hookers and coke and while on that bender therew 46 million at CIG.

Now he's trying to explain to daddy where his money went.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Bootcha posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, Goons and Observers, it saddens me to inform you that one of our own has passed away.

DapperDon died from a heart attack on the way to the hospital. He is survived by his wife.

Don was a frequent contributor on the ARGCast as well as this thread, and sometimes ventured into the wilds of Reddit.

We have lost a voice in the chorus of the great Star Citizen oral history. I am ashamed to say I did not know him well enough, but many here did and made friendships with him that will affect them past his death.

Don wasn't just goon shitposting about Star Citizen. He was a dog daddy, of 4 at the same time at one point. He made animal baths. He was an avid woodcrafter. An enthusiastic snowmobiler. A lover of visual gags. And by many reports a great cook.

I am poorer for his absence, as will us in this little corner of the world.

Very sorry to hear.

i'll relay a personal story of mine.
Few years ago I was walking the dog with the missus and had only gone about a kilometer when I had this odd tingling sensation radiating from my left breast to left shoulder. I was also out of puff.
Told the bride I wasn't feeling the best so I'd head back home. After an hour the odd sensation hadn't passed, so I took myself off to hospital. They put me on an ECG, that was fine, ran some blood tests, they all came back fine, but the ER doctor said they'd keep me in til the morning so I could see a cardiologist.
Saw the Dr in the morning and all tests were fine. just to be sure, they ran me on a stress test which I failed dismally. Had an angiogram to which I was told that I'd probably be up for a 5 way bypass. Kept me in hospital for 2 weeks whereby I had a quad bypass. Dr told me that my main artery had been blocked since my late twenties.
I was 47 at the time. He further said that I would have only had one heart attack.

Moral of the story, health heart is serious poo poo.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So I have a dumbass question.

SC has staggered development.

SQ54 has parallel development.

Should I pledge more?

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

*snip*

GORFposting is the reason I am here.

Rugganovich posted:

Dr told me that my main artery had been blocked since my late twenties.

Well that's loving terrifying.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWU2PD7Gcb4

Criken plays Star citizen.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 15, 2020

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh gently caress yeah baby nothing says Star Citizen like a fuckin' minute-long traiiiiiiiiiin riiiiiiiiiiiide

https://dai.ly/x7spjmp

I know I complain about this a lot, but how in the world of this game has transportation technology and design changed absolutely not at all in 800 loving years? When I get on an airport tram today, it doesn’t look like loving 1220 up in there, it looks exactly like this.

Also, more shopping mall interiors with the same stupid plants.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The defense force is out in strength!

Maybe because they've been getting a drubbing on reddit and spectrum from people who actually know what they are talking about, they are looking for easier pickings on youtube.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWU2PD7Gcb4&t=330s

lol physics grids make no sense on a planet with gravity.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

stinch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWU2PD7Gcb4&t=330s

lol physics grids make no sense on a planet with gravity.

It's a problem they're not going to be able to solve. In "real" life of course you'd just slide down the ship and end up in a heap, but because of their stupid physics they'll have to invoke handwavium to explain it away. Also note that if that ship was upside down, the commandos would be upside down too.

What a poo poo show.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Elsewhere:

: Quote: “‘Buy more ships! Or we’ll have to release as is…..’”
… except it has never been the point. Pledges will drive development and this is precisely what have been done.

Having specific female skeleton is great. That is another feature no publishers care to deliver indeed the all Alpha is clear demonstration that only backers through crowdfunding are able to get what they deserve: not another copy/paste sequel of games, half finished which cost at the end multiple times an SC starter package while offering nothing new.

CIG do own their own mo-cap studio. It costs nothing to use the employee and equipment you paid for years ago. Indeed it is good management :)

:eng101:: To the complete detriment of the project.

CIG have put themselves in a situation where they need to constantly introduce new things to gain money to pay for previously introduced things.

It is the Ouroboros of game development.

: Quite the opposite. As early backers we got two triple-A instead of an improved sequel of Wing Commander. new backers don’t spend more than a single triple-A equivalent $ as well… not counting no released-A do have all SC Alpha features which are going to be complemented by further quarterly patch and all SQ42 injected in SC at release.

Your statement is just wrong twice in a raw:
– Further pledges do not allow to cover previous features but to make the overall scope much robust and unique in terms of both features and fidelity. Visible in current SC Alpha.
– CIG do have roughly a year ahead of cash which alleviate your argument at once.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Dementropy posted:

Having specific female skeleton is great. That is another feature no publishers care to deliver

other word soup aside how do they think animation works? no other game has separate rigging for female PCs? WoW has this guys. Actually quite (in)famously?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

I am glad Star Citizen doesn't have microtransactions. Macrotransactions FTW!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dementropy posted:

Quite the opposite. As early backers we got two triple-A instead of an improved sequel of Wing Commander.

Ah, good old Joe.

Use of present tense (got) for something that hasn't happened yet. Trademark cultist response. Also, backers wanted an improved sequel to Wing Commander, which in itself should have been a AAA game, along with the online version they initially talked about, and neither is delivered with no sign of either being delivered.

So, initial claims: Making 2 AAA games that might have been doable before scope creep.

Result, 0 games that are in devleopment hell and may never be released.

Meanwhile, Joe and others are doing victory laps.

Its mindboggling.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I am glad Star Citizen doesn't have microtransactions. Macrotransactions FTW!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

---"Um, did you somehow miss the $46 million dollar investment from some billionaire that happened like a year ago? They now own a noticable minority of the company."

---"are they actually an investor?

what are the terms of their agreement?

stop trying to make an argument on what you believe and start proving what you believe is truth.

cant trust refundians as they only fud and lie.

no basis to fact... get called out... devolve into personal attack.

thats all you people do. its boring. its old. the jokes over."

Calder didn't invest! Stop lying!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Dementropy posted:

---"Um, did you somehow miss the $46 million dollar investment from some billionaire that happened like a year ago? They now own a noticable minority of the company."

---"are they actually an investor?

what are the terms of their agreement?

stop trying to make an argument on what you believe and start proving what you believe is truth.

cant trust refundians as they only fud and lie.

no basis to fact... get called out... devolve into personal attack.

thats all you people do. its boring. its old. the jokes over."

Calder is the first of the GIGA-whales. The $46M was for the first Titan class ship. Deliverable in 2058.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:laffo:

Post that to /r/Gaming with a catchy title

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit::
they seem to be not putting out a roadmap to stop spoilers and the troll squad from making poo poo up again....

cant troll or fud if you have nothing and you look really stupid when your troll/fud fails.

I am sure many items are still there. we keep getting items from the backlog... but people try and complain that they are new items...

of course they are going to change the roadmap. every company I have ever worked at has changed their plans... some daily. things happen, some for the good, some for the bad. making that the lynch pin of an argument is not a good argument. especially when someone is making something new....

company who makes new xray scanners rushes xray scanners.... bad things happen.... who could have predicted this....

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

I'm stealing that to use later :lol:

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Jonny Shiloh posted:

It's a problem they're not going to be able to solve. In "real" life of course you'd just slide down the ship and end up in a heap, but because of their stupid physics they'll have to invoke handwavium to explain it away. Also note that if that ship was upside down, the commandos would be upside down too.

What a poo poo show.

don't worry, the lore team has already invented gravity goo to explain it

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/14287-LORE-BUILDER-TWENTY-ONE-ARTIFICIAL-GRAVITY

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Dementropy posted:

company who makes new xray scanners rushes xray scanners.... bad things happen.... who could have predicted this....[/i]
:lol:
But what happens if said company has released no product in 8 years? And missed all promised deadlines to deliver such to clients by years? And has instead only given them a straw connected to a piece of string to play? And put up a bunch of screenshots for add-on equipment for the scanner that does not exist?

Only good things happen then.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

AbstractNapper posted:

:lol:
But what happens if said company has released no product in 8 years? And missed all promised deadlines to deliver such to clients by years? And has instead only given them a straw connected to a piece of string to play? And put up a bunch of screenshots for add-on equipment for the scanner that does not exist?

Only good things happen then.

No see they're doing all that so you won't have anything to complain about. Their entire transparency campaign is about avoiding giving information to you, a person on a games forum who sometimes complains about them. Specifically you.

And specifically in spite of their actual fans, who are 100% on board with never hearing anything good about Star Citizen as long as it denies you the opportunity to hear anything bad about Star Citizen.

god what is going on with 2020 and people being okay with having their face skin melted off or whatever as long as "The other guy" gets a scalded too. Everyone's got a fuckin' suicide pact this year

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dementropy posted:

[i]
Warning: Long post incoming.

[snip]

I have a totally reasonable explanation why Star Citizen is actually good the way it is, I just need to lay it out in a simple 20,000 word essay

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dementropy posted:

they seem to be not putting out a roadmap to stop spoilers and the troll squad from making poo poo up again....

cant troll or fud if you have nothing and you look really stupid when your troll/fud fails.

I am sure many items are still there. we keep getting items from the backlog... but people try and complain that they are new items...

of course they are going to change the roadmap. every company I have ever worked at has changed their plans... some daily. things happen, some for the good, some for the bad. making that the lynch pin of an argument is not a good argument. especially when someone is making something new....

company who makes new xray scanners rushes xray scanners.... bad things happen.... who could have predicted this....

Brain worms.

Its the only possible explanation.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?-_WhgXtY4qE

I can't wait to see spacepeople glitching during rock climbing escapades.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

No see they're doing all that so you won't have anything to complain about. Their entire transparency campaign is about avoiding giving information to you, a person on a games forum who sometimes complains about them. Specifically you.

And specifically in spite of their actual fans, who are 100% on board with never hearing anything good about Star Citizen as long as it denies you the opportunity to hear anything bad about Star Citizen.

god what is going on with 2020 and people being okay with having their face skin melted off or whatever as long as "The other guy" gets a scalded too. Everyone's got a fuckin' suicide pact this year

Hang tight. The pendulum is currently hanging weightlessly at the upper arc of its swing, and when it swings back, it will do so with the same force with which it was pushed to its current ridiculous extreme.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Incredifun is the dumbest thing I've heard all week.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Incredifun is the dumbest thing I've heard all week.

Sorry, it is IncredifFUD.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dementropy posted:

It was a gift! With strings attached! You haven’t seen a contract!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Hav posted:

It was a gift! With strings attached! You haven’t seen a contract!

The Calders are just big fans of Star Citizen and Chris Roberts, and they pledged that money without expecting anything in return because they believe in saving PC gaming. But, Chris is so generous that he gave them 46 million dollars worth of video game spaceships and seat on the board in return.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Friends with benefits

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

quote:

The investment was led by father and son Clive and Keith Calder -- or more specifically Calder senior's family office and Keith's company Snoot Entertainment.

For the $46 million, Cloud Imperium issues 113,861 new shares and 113,861 units, representing approximately 10% of the outstanding shares in its US and UK parent companies. The investment was split equally between the two territories.

In an announcement on Cloud Imperium's corporate blog, the company said it would spend the money on "marketing for Squadron 42 [the single-player campaign] and Star Citizen and various business development initiatives."

The firm added: "The investment ensures that all crowdfunded pledges and other monies contributed by the Star Citizen community can continue to be focused on development, publishing and community communication and engagement."

Crowdfunding for Star Citizen began back in 2012 with a $2.1m Kickstarter campaign, but private donations through the game's website has since brought this total past the $200 million mark.

In a joint statement, the Calders said: "We were impressed by the vision and passion that Chris [Roberts, CEO] and the formidable global team he has assembled have put into building Star Citizen, and we think that the direct and transparent relationship they have built with their players is a strong foundation for a next-generation gaming company."

Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-12-21-cloud-imperium-secures-usd46m-investment-for-star-citizen

:trustme: posted:

As we look towards the release of Squadron 42, we have been acutely aware that having a AAA game that matches the biggest single player games out there only goes so far if no one knows about it. The games we will be competing with for attention have tens and, in some cases, hundreds of millions of dollars of advertising behind them.

Other companies in a similar situation have normally tackled this problem by partnering with a Publisher for the marketing and sales of their game. As you all know I am not in favor of putting my destiny in the hands of a third party. On the other hand, I don’t feel it would be right to go back to all of you to raise funds to market the game to other people; most of you already have a copy earmarked for you and I still strongly feel that the money brought in from our crowdfunding should continue to go to the development of Star Citizen and Squadron 42.

Because of this, we started to investigate ways to raise money to fund the upcoming marketing and release needs of Squadron 42. We turned away some approaches from Private Equity and Venture Capital because we were concerned about them fully understanding what makes our company tick and pushing us towards short term decisions.

During this process we were introduced to Clive Calder and his son Keith, who have both been interested in the confluence of entertainment with the ability to directly connect with an audience online. Clive founded the most successful independent music company, Zomba, which was home to some of the biggest music acts in the world. Keith is an independent film producer whose company Snoot Entertainment’s most recent films are the critically acclaimed Blindspotting and the Academy Award-nominated Anomalisa. During our first meeting, we got on like a house on fire, with Clive telling me about how he wished that when he built Zomba you could have connected to the fans of an artist bypassing the myriad of media gatekeepers in the way Star Citizen does, and which wasn’t possible 15 years ago. Keith and I swapped war stories about the film industry and talked about how refreshing it is to be able to utilize crowdfunding to create a project that normally would fly against what is currently considered mainstream.

During the course of these discussions it became clear to me that if Clive and Keith joined us as investors in our company, we’d have true partners that respected what we had built, but also fully understood the ins and outs and the patience required with a business based on creating entertainment. Taking in like-minded partners helps us solve the need of funding the marketing and release of Squadron 42, but also stay attuned to what makes us special.

So, it’s with this that I would like to announce that we have closed a minority investment into Cloud Imperium US & UK, from Clive’s family office and Keith’s Snoot Entertainment for $46M for approximately 10% of the shares in the Cloud Imperium US and UK companies, which is a testament to the value, future potential and longevity of the company.

As part of this process we’ve taken on two outside board members. The first is Dan Offner, an experienced lawyer and entrepreneur with over twenty years of experience in Interactive Entertainment, who is Clive and Keith’s board nominee and second is Eli Klein, a long term friend who has been acting as an advisor to the company over the past couple of years.

The control of the company and the board still firmly stays with myself as Chairman, CEO and majority shareholder.

We wouldn’t have taken anyone on board if we didn’t feel that they were fully aligned with our vision, philosophy and could add valuable insight in navigating the business challenges ahead.

This investment helps secure our independence. We may not have the resources that an Activision or EA have to launch one of their tentpole games, but we now control our own destiny in marketing Squadron 42, especially as we have a secret weapon: all of you! Between the power of the best community in gaming to help get the message out and these additional funds we will be well positioned to enable Squadron 42 to enjoy the success that it deserves.

Beyond this, this investment gives Cloud Imperium the ability to take the long view when needed and allows us to grow as a company. I couldn’t be happier.

So I would like to welcome Clive, Keith, Dan and Eli to the Cloud Imperium family, and I look forward to great success with them and all of you.

Source: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/16912-Letter-From-The-Chairman

I'd actually forgotten how much shade Chris threw at the big games companies while doing his investment victory lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Well there's your answer-

quote:

In an announcement on Cloud Imperium's corporate blog, the company said it would spend the money on "marketing for Squadron 42 [the single-player campaign] and Star Citizen and various business development initiatives."

Since CIG hasn't really done any marketing for SQ54, they can just give the $46mil back...

Surely they didn't spend it all on non-marketing stuff right?