Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I only go to work and the grocery store (weekly) and nowhere else bc I'm a sad goon who gave up. I was made for social distancing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cockmaster posted:

Does the "free travel" agreement that comes with EU membership make no exception for disease control?

Europe is tut-tutting at countries who institute some semblance of bordel control because "social consequences" and number go down.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
The thought occurred to me. Would it safe to say that the reason it got this bad was not because of China, but rather that cruise ship Diamond Princess? We let it became a plague ship and then pulled people off of it before it fizzled itself out and effectively sowed the seeds to every other location on earth?

I mean now we just got to ride this sucker out and its gonna be a rough couple of months ahead of us but I wonder if we just let those suckers tough that disease out and China quarantine like they did, we'd be in a better place now?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nullEntityRNG posted:

The thought occurred to me. Would it safe to say that the reason it got this bad was not because of China, but rather that cruise ship Diamond Princess? We let it became a plague ship and then pulled people off of it before it fizzled itself out and effectively sowed the seeds to every other location on earth?

I mean now we just got to ride this sucker out and its gonna be a rough couple of months ahead of us but I wonder if we just let those suckers tough that disease out and China quarantine like they did, we'd be in a better place now?
There was that Nile cruise that spread the virus to like 20 countries

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
hoo boy i logged onto Nextdoor.com this evening

some SERIOUS meltdown and flamewars are going on.

:yikes:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Chinatown posted:

hoo boy i logged onto Nextdoor.com this evening

some SERIOUS meltdown and flamewars are going on.

:yikes:

Try to determine which of your neighbors has the best supply cache while still being unarmed.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

nullEntityRNG posted:

I think that like 19/21 infected were crew...so those folks were all getting moved around for business and whatnot. Like... don't think this is preventable at this level of contagion. would be really hard. If it only took a few hours to show symptoms, yeah. But 6-14 days are not unreasonable here it seems, so, like, its global now :(

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hopes Fall posted:

My nephew's school announced today that they are closing until April 30th. This seems... inordinately long.

If anything it seems optimistically short. That's ~6 weeks from now, Wuhan has been in total lockdown for over 7 weeks and is not yet ready to be reopened

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

unpacked robinhood posted:

Europe is tut-tutting at countries who institute some semblance of bordel control because "social consequences" and number go down.
Please tell me more about the social consequences of bordello control. :allears:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

QuarkJets posted:

If anything it seems optimistically short. That's ~6 weeks from now, Wuhan has been in total lockdown for over 7 weeks and is not yet ready to be reopened

Cdc is saying to be effective school closing would have to be minimum 8 weeks

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Klyith posted:

it's not a miasma of disease blanketing the city, all you have to do is stay like 5-6' away from other people. imagine stretching your arms out and not being able to touch other people with their arms stretched out.

if the number of people on the street is high enough that you can't keep distance from them, it's probably not a great environment for jogging in the first place.

anyways the streets in my small city today were emptier than many nature trails I've walked

Scientists have shown that sars-cov-2 is detectable in the air for up to 3 hours after a person coughs or sneezes. If even 1% of the local population is infected then that's effectively a miasma of disease blanketing the area unless everyone stays inside and stops moving around.

There Bias Two posted:

https://twitter.com/willripleyCNN/status/1238998307252269058

So what's the likely explanation? False negatives? Fluctuation in viral load? Extended shedding?

There have been numerous cases of reinfection, it seems to not be very common but apparently it's common for coronavirus infections to produce relatively short-lived antibodies and in some people that's short enough to get fully reinfected within a few weeks. Most people are not experiencing this but it's been reported in numerous cases in Italy, China, and Japan! Just one more reason why the "just get it over with" meme is so stupid

nullEntityRNG posted:

Experts now believe that covid-19 had been low-key spreading in multiple cities around the world since late January, before Diamond Princess even launched. For instance the sudden spat of Seattle nursing home deaths strongly suggests a mid-to-late January timeline for introduction to that region, based on how the virus has been tracked through various parts of Asia.

So it's not really fair to pin all of the international outbreaks on one cruise ship. It is fair to accuse China of malfeasance for having spent so much time trying to suppress information about the outbreak instead of doing anything to fight it. But on the other hand, who knows if an overwhelming cooperative response to fight this virus really would have stopped it; all it would have taken is 1 mild or asymptomatic carrier taking an international trip to wind up where we are today.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Bars around here were preparing to close after the weekend so they were putting out party nights.

I mean.. it's.. I don't even...

People are loving dumb.

Have fun spreading the plague you morons.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
An overwhelming cooperative response to fight this virus would most definitely have helped. A few countries were able to contain this so that show that it can be done; a similar response on a worldwide scale could have snuffed out the virus.

The problem is more that there was never going to be such a response. If Wuhan did not serve as a call to action, a dozen infections with alarm bells coming in would not have either.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In other news, there's still a lot of people hoping that the summer will wipe out covid-19, something that a Harvard epidemiologist has tried to answer in an article titled Seasonality of SARS-CoV-2: Will COVID-19 go away on its own in warmer weather?, it lays out a number of myths (like the notion that SARS went away on its own in the summer; it did not) and tries to be pretty direct in answering the question

tldr: Probably not but transmission rates may decrease a little

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

GORDON posted:

Big Toilet Paper is having a record-breaking quarter, but they're going to under-perform for a long time now that half of america has a 2-year supply of TP.

The strategic tp reserve is only for emergancy use.
There is no need to dip into your stash while the supply is good.
Having an apartment that looks like a warehouse is the new normal.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Griefor posted:

An overwhelming cooperative response to fight this virus would most definitely have helped. A few countries were able to contain this so that show that it can be done; a similar response on a worldwide scale could have snuffed out the virus.

The problem is more that there was never going to be such a response. If Wuhan did not serve as a call to action, a dozen infections with alarm bells coming in would not have either.

My thought was more that if an infected person traveled internationally from Wuhan on day 1 of the infection then China's response wouldn't have mattered at all to infection rates in places like the US, UK, Iran, etc places that were very slow to respond even once a lot of data started coming from China. So it's pretty disingenuous when people claim that the US is suffering from coronavirus because of the actions of the Chinese government. At the same time, obviously it would have made a huge impact in a more general sense if China had responded quickly instead of trying to silence doctors raising the alarm; their actions wound up killing a lot of additional people.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gently caress gently caress

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
The port. It’s the port they need to close. After that they’re safe.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

lmao

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
just heard the dj on the local oldie station say "I thought it was like a normal virus where you show signs and then you can spread it but there's news now of..." and I am starting to get a really clear picture of exactly how hosed everything is

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

unpacked robinhood posted:

Aren't a bunch of them shutting the borders down anyway? At least for air and rail travel

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Here in Berlin all bars and clubs are closed for 6 weeks. The clubs account for roughly 50 of all income in the city so yeah bruh stuff is wild.

Also does anybody know a good dnd platform for online gaming? We ain't gonna meet anytime soon.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

SeXReX posted:

just heard the dj on the local oldie station say "I thought it was like a normal virus where you show signs and then you can spread it but there's news now of..." and I am starting to get a really clear picture of exactly how hosed everything is

p sure even before the roni you shouldn't listen to djs and find a channel with minimal talking...

i mean if the toilet paper wars weren't hosed enough then :shrug:

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Mantis42 posted:

I only go to work and the grocery store (weekly) and nowhere else bc I'm a sad goon who gave up. I was made for social distancing.

I'm an unemployed broke-brain goon who regularly goes weeks without human contact, I'm winning at life here for a change.
The only time I go out lately is to my voluntary work at the foodbank, which I have the keys for, so I feel a bit like some tinned-vegetable lottery winner too.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Son of Rodney posted:

Also does anybody know a good dnd platform for online gaming? We ain't gonna meet anytime soon.

Check out roll20.net, that might be what you're looking for?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

snake and bake posted:

Check out roll20.net, that might be what you're looking for?

That seems perfect, thanks!

A. J. Flint
Jun 5, 2019
Here in Spain it's crazy, but in a good way; they're doing what needs to be done to contain the virus (or at least try).

A nationwide quarantine has been issued starting Monday, and we will only be able to go outside: to go to work, to return from work, to buy groceries or medicine, to provide essential care for others (this includes walking your dog, for example) and the like.

Only grocery stores, tobacconists, laundry services, hairdressers and apothecaries will stay open during this time. It's been issued for 15 days (the maximum the law allows) but will probably be extended for another 15 when it ends. They're saying the number of cases here will peak in mid-April. The streets are completely empty right now.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Not much is happening in Sweden right now

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

After seeing my boss come in and listening to him talk I have the sinking feeling that he's a dumbass old who isn't taking this seriously, if he doesn't end up closing up for a bit I'm going to use vacation time I haven't used in two years so I don't have to suffer because of his blaise stupidity, I have two 60+ old parents I'm living with to help with my disabled sister who also has lung issues.

I'll be hosed if I let his stupidity put my family in danger. Hundreds of people come through my job in a day.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

E: can also confirm Canadian cities less busy. Some popular bars are instituting 80% max capacity rules, periodically spraying down bathrooms with disinfectant and asking patrons not to share appetizers. Brave measures indeed.

That all won't help unless all you order are bottled drinks. According to a German virologist (and the experience of everyone who has ever been to Oktoberfest and had a cold afterwards) drinks from the tap are a massive spread vector because the glasses are not washed properly.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

quote:

The highly virulent porcine epidemic diarrhea virus (PEDV) emerged in China in 2010. It infects pigs of all ages, and causes severe diarrhea and high mortality rates in newborn pigs, leading to devastating economic losses in the pork industry worldwide. 

When does this one jump to humans. :allears:

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Checking in from Estonia (Eastern Europe, population 1.4M). Self-isolated on Thursday, have gone out a couple of times though (trash, dog needs pee, groceries, walking with GF & baby).

We have about 100 cases and no deaths so far, but it's a question of when, not if. Friend working in hospital says it's kind of creepy - normal care is suspended, triage tents set up but no patients. So basically a calm before the storm.

Country is pretty much in lockdown mode, public venues closed, no international travel.

Shops open, same idiots hoarding toilet paper as everywhere. Dry food and dumplings were almost out when I visited Friday 11AM, except for rice noodles and Asian dumplings. Retard racists.

Put in a grocery delivery order, due to increased volume the wait is a week. Have been ordering food in as well, local Ubereats alternative implemented a contact free delivery option.

I am thankfully working in IT so can continue working remotely. Our business also has almost zero impact from this.

Going running today, to cure the cabin fever.

Stay strong, keep the distance, wash your hands and see you after the apocalypse.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Rime posted:

When does this one jump to humans. :allears:

*Gestures at the SomethingAwful forums*

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Guess this is the check-in thread now.

QuarkJets posted:

Experts now believe that covid-19 had been low-key spreading in multiple cities around the world since late January, before Diamond Princess even launched. For instance the sudden spat of Seattle nursing home deaths strongly suggests a mid-to-late January timeline for introduction to that region, based on how the virus has been tracked through various parts of Asia.

There have been mysterious upper respiratory infections in my circle (all around Seattle and southward) as far back as mid February, including one diagnosed bronchitis. Also from that circle, some details of symptoms from those with presumed (but untested) cases and some casual medical consultation to make them easier for others to spot:

• A fever is the biggest tell. One should check their temperature every day for a while, even if isolated and/or healthy.
  • The fatigue is pretty hardcore, like one stops to consider before doing trivial things like taking the trash out. Just getting out of bed is rough. It's like full-blown flu fatigue but with nothing else going on.
  • The cough can be nonexistant until a few days into symptoms.
  • It's allergy season so really easy to mix up regular spring allergy postnasal drip with the sore throat it's supposed to cause.
  • The one that goes most understated is the shortness of breath. It can be really intense at night and wake one up almost like apnea.

Shortness of breath is supposed to be the major warning symptom in vulnerable persons, but even in younger folk it can be a bit alarming.

A lot of us and others are in "don't know, can't know" territory on whether we've caught it.

Oh poo poo, is that the guy from Stunts? How the gently caress did I recognize that? That's like the first game I ever pirated.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 15, 2020

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
We left the ski station yesterday morning just before hearing on the news the French govt would close all ski stations.

Then yesterday evening, while at the restaurant in our hotel stop, the manager told us with teary eyes to enjoy our meal because he probably would have to close the restaurant since he just heard the government ordered them all to close. That he doesn't know what to do with his personel, that he has mortgages to keep reimbursing, invoices to pay.

Somehow this hit me even more than old people dying. A lot of people are going to suffer from this, and not only medically speaking

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Around here in Finland the right-wingers are complaining about the leftie gov not SHUTTING. EVERYTHING. DOWN. RIGHT NOW drat IT despite the expert opinion being that closing down the entire economy is just gonna cause a lot more suffering than the corona ever would, as long as things are still somewhat in hand. Now that I think of it, kinda ironic, that!

It's easy to think that grand political gestures like closing down every gym and food joint will help with reining in the infection rate, but really, they only cause more misery if they are badly timed and not properly thought out.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
the invisible hand of the market will fix it!!!!1

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Wuhan won't be ready until they truck in enough actors to replace everyone who drowned in their own lung sludge "went on vacation"

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I helped my parents dig in on Thursday with groceries/cleaning supplies and we shared a meal at the dinner table but I stayed at least a meter away from my mom the entire time. She's in her early 70's and received a kidney about 8 years ago so she's on standard transplant meds but she's otherwise pretty healthy. I washed my hands as soon as I got to the house and I don't have any symptoms at all but I'm feeling super anxious that I might've passed this poo poo on to her. I'd rather be hacking my lungs out then wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

This 100% sums up my last post. Mild or asymptomatic adults just going about their business because they can't get tested, and mild to asymptomatic response (along with having jobs to attend and whatnot) means they don't even know.