Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

RillAkBea posted:

For reference, measuring from the transport platform, the full Unit-01 should be about 20cm with shoulder binders, which makes it MG height if not quite as chunky.

Oh man, I hope I have enough space in my display case. Post pics when you are done, I bet it looks awesome fully assembled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

:yeshaha:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's a couple new 30mm accessory kits coming in June; A sweet-looking customizable weapon for the Rabiot, and a tank vehicle with all the ground-combat Alto's tread parts.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Just managed to get hold of a third Armored Core kit for my Plamo and holy crap, they've sculpted/casted individual rounds to chamber to the top of the rifle magazine. :stare:

Which kit was this, I'm kinda curious now

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Slanderer posted:

Which kit was this, I'm kinda curious now
The Algebra SOLUH Barabaroi.

Very cool bit of detail.

My project shelf. :D

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

BadMedic posted:

Oh man, I hope I have enough space in my display case. Post pics when you are done, I bet it looks awesome fully assembled.

I'm up to the torso and head. It is absolutely nuts. The torso has a bunch of jointed segments so you can get a nice backwards curve going for your beserker wryyyyy poses. The detail level on the head though is freaking amazing, nothing has been exaggerated in the production shots. They even have a molded tongue and teeth in the mouth. :3:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

The Algebra SOLUH Barabaroi.

Very cool bit of detail.

My project shelf. :D

Sick, thanks!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I was supposed to go to New York on holiday on the 26th, but with all this virus bullshit that's not going to happen even if Trump doesn't ban travel from the UK before then. As nerdy as it is, I was planning a trip to Gundam Planet; mostly for the novelty of an entire store dedicated to Gunpla and Plamo (we don't have anything like it in the UK, or at least my corner of the UK) but also to get some kits that I might not be able to get in the UK.

I now have a pre-paid credit card loaded with several hundred Dollars that I can't put back in my bank account and HLJ has the PG Exia in stock and one of the stores in London has the Lighting Unit (which hilariously costs more than it would cost to get the Exia it self from HLJ (before shipping and customs), but that's the UK Gunpla tax I guess).

Seriously considering picking them up as a cure for cancelled holiday depression.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Veotax posted:

I was supposed to go to New York on holiday on the 26th, but with all this virus bullshit that's not going to happen even if Trump doesn't ban travel from the UK before then. As nerdy as it is, I was planning a trip to Gundam Planet; mostly for the novelty of an entire store dedicated to Gunpla and Plamo (we don't have anything like it in the UK, or at least my corner of the UK) but also to get some kits that I might not be able to get in the UK.

I now have a pre-paid credit card loaded with several hundred Dollars that I can't put back in my bank account and HLJ has the PG Exia in stock and one of the stores in London has the Lighting Unit (which hilariously costs more than it would cost to get the Exia it self from HLJ (before shipping and customs), but that's the UK Gunpla tax I guess).

Seriously considering picking them up as a cure for cancelled holiday depression.

Let's be honest; at the rate Trump's loving this up it's likely every other country will ban travel to and from the US rather than the other way around.

Get that fuckin' Exia :black101:.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I built a couple of, well not robots but robot accessory packs:

https://imgur.com/a/rFH5kJg

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Welp, Trump's announced that UK entry to the US is being closed on Tuesday so the holiday is definitely off. On the upside, now that we couldn't get in to the country even if we wanted to we should be able to get a refund, hopefully. I've just blown most of the spending money I had put away on the Exia and Lighting Unit. If HLJ ships in a timely fashion, I should hopefully have it by next weekend.
I could have picked-up the LU from the store in person, but I have a chest infection and it would have meant a couple of hours on the train. Probably not the best of ideas right now.

No idea when I'll get around to building it though, probably be a while though.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Veotax posted:

Welp, Trump's announced that UK entry to the US is being closed on Tuesday so the holiday is definitely off. On the upside, now that we couldn't get in to the country even if we wanted to we should be able to get a refund, hopefully. I've just blown most of the spending money I had put away on the Exia and Lighting Unit. If HLJ ships in a timely fashion, I should hopefully have it by next weekend.
I could have picked-up the LU from the store in person, but I have a chest infection and it would have meant a couple of hours on the train. Probably not the best of ideas right now.

No idea when I'll get around to building it though, probably be a while though.

Don't know if this'll make you feel better or worse, but Gundam Planet just closed their warehouse to walk-in customers through the end of March so it wouldn't have been an option anyway

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

RillAkBea posted:

I'm up to the torso and head. It is absolutely nuts. The torso has a bunch of jointed segments so you can get a nice backwards curve going for your beserker wryyyyy poses. The detail level on the head though is freaking amazing, nothing has been exaggerated in the production shots. They even have a molded tongue and teeth in the mouth. :3:

Does the special hanger version come with anything besides a platform like additional weapons or a screaming open mouthed head that the bae kit doesn't have?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sazabi posted:

Does the special hanger version come with anything besides a platform like additional weapons or a screaming open mouthed head that the bae kit doesn't have?

It's got a Hands-tear-through-the-AT-Field shiny plastic piece.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop
was browsing bigbadtoystore, today. added a few items to my cart and went to check the shipping totals / etc and OOPS. ordered instead...

so it looks like my first gunpla are gonna be:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/68308
and
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/98685

also ordered the basic tool kit.

depending on how those go, i might snap up the gunbuster kit, as i loving LOVE gunbuster.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/96806

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gomi Day posted:

was browsing bigbadtoystore, today. added a few items to my cart and went to check the shipping totals / etc and OOPS. ordered instead...

so it looks like my first gunpla are gonna be:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/68308
and
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/98685

also ordered the basic tool kit.

depending on how those go, i might snap up the gunbuster kit, as i loving LOVE gunbuster.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/96806

Leo is a good build and Death Army isn’t bad either. They’re both recent designs.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Sazabi is a big lad.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Just finished a RG Char's Z'Gok. The Z'Gok has always been on of my favorite designs, it has such a menacing look about it. This is my second RG ever, and I LOVE the premolded subassemblies, such an amazing feat if engineering. Am I to understand that newer RGs no longer have these?

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Super Waffle posted:

Just finished a RG Char's Z'Gok. The Z'Gok has always been on of my favorite designs, it has such a menacing look about it. This is my second RG ever, and I LOVE the premolded subassemblies, such an amazing feat if engineering. Am I to understand that newer RGs no longer have these?

Correct. Sinanju or gold astray are the last to use pre built limbs. However the upside to that is how amazing rg kits have gotten.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sazabi posted:

Correct. Sinanju or gold astray are the last to use pre built limbs. However the upside to that is how amazing rg kits have gotten.

Sinanju's the last "new" one with an inner frame, and they burned themselves trying to one-size-fits-all the typical RG frame into it with crappy extensions on the wrists and ankles. The newer ones are built like mini Master Grade's, and it's really let them get more exotic with the range than just the typical standard-proportion Gundam designs with the Crossbone and the TallGeese.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I built the RG Tallgeese and MG Tallgeese back to back and the RG is a almost a straight miniturisation with a few tweaks here and there.

I'm up to the arms on the Sazabi and there's no way that the advanced joints would have held together on this thing, it would just fold in on itself like a singularity.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

RG Evangelion UNIT-0
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZTFNHDS/

$52 is downright reasonable, and I'll probably be on 4 days a week WFH by the time it ships.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Zodack posted:

My local hobby store cancelled their Sunday build meets so I guess I have no excuse but to work on my backlog now...

My workplace cancelled/postponed pretty much all of their upcoming events due to restrictions on gathering sizes and coronavirus fears. My Monday night build group is pretty much the only thing that hasn't been cancelled, but only because nobody actually shows up. :downs:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Sazabi posted:

It's just the platform, AT-field effect piece and the AT-field ripping hands as far as I know.

Good news though the lower jaw opens up more than wide enough for a nice big scream. Or a jaunty look of surprise if you pose it right :v:

I'll have to take some dumb photos tomorrow, because thanks to the wide variety of hand poses you can get figma level expression going.

Overall it's very good. I was concerned that balance might be an issue with the tiny feet but unlike RG Gundams that tend to have a lot of back weight, the Eva has the center of gravity over the waist, so it's relatively easy to balance. The arms feel a little flimsy and shoulder binders limit articulation a little but considering the volume they had to work with, they've done very well.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

RillAkBea posted:

It's just the platform, AT-field effect piece and the AT-field ripping hands as far as I know.

Good news though the lower jaw opens up more than wide enough for a nice big scream. Or a jaunty look of surprise if you pose it right :v:

I'll have to take some dumb photos tomorrow, because thanks to the wide variety of hand poses you can get figma level expression going.

Overall it's very good. I was concerned that balance might be an issue with the tiny feet but unlike RG Gundams that tend to have a lot of back weight, the Eva has the center of gravity over the waist, so it's relatively easy to balance. The arms feel a little flimsy and shoulder binders limit articulation a little but considering the volume they had to work with, they've done very well.

Do the aftershave scene from home alone.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sazabi posted:

Do the aftershave scene from home alone.

I feel Home Alone may have been a very different movie with Macaulay Culkin in an Evangelion Unit.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

mllaneza posted:

RG Evangelion UNIT-0
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZTFNHDS/

$52 is downright reasonable, and I'll probably be on 4 days a week WFH by the time it ships.

They have the platform version for $73 too

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZTFTDPC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Finally finished my assembly of a kitbash I've been working on for a while. It's still clear-coated and needs decals and some finishing work, but it feels good to have it all painted and together.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 15, 2020

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Zodack posted:

Finally finished my assembly of a kitbash I've been working on for a while. It's still clear-coated and needs decals and some finishing work, but it feels good to have it all painted and together.

That is excellent and does the Grimoire justice.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Zodack posted:

This is amazing.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Zodack posted:

Nice and clean. I like the colours.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The bottom of the ball torso looks like it just kind of sits on the legs - might be worth shoring it up some on the sides and rear so it looks less like it's going to just sort of fall apart at the waist. Otherwise, that's a super cool kitbash and fifteen times more interesting than anything that's been in the recent Build Fighters shows.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Lemon-Lime posted:

The bottom of the ball torso looks like it just kind of sits on the legs - might be worth shoring it up some on the sides and rear so it looks less like it's going to just sort of fall apart at the waist. Otherwise, that's a super cool kitbash and fifteen times more interesting than anything that's been in the recent Build Fighters shows.

It's been a frustrating process getting this to work, because even what you're seeing is a few millimeters taken off the waist part - so the peg is recessed - combined with a few millimeters sanded off of the bottom of the ball (but not too much, or else you could tell it sits flat). Any further and I run into issues of the sides of the ball running up on the waist "hips", and if I sand more off the bottom of the ball/torso it starts to look really apparent.

That's been the biggest challenge of putting all of this together, actually, and a fun learning process because it's my second Grimoire kitbash and learning how to fit the torso in is in my opinion the most important/iconic part.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
My suggestion would be to just give it a plasticard "belt" if you haven't tried that, which will obscure the gap between the waist and the ball cockpit.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I don't mess with pla plate on the regular in fear of making something that looks unprofessional. I could certainly try it out or try to improvise something out of my spare parts.

Another difficulty is figuring out where to put / if I should put decals on the nice curved Gerbera Tetra surfaces. I tried some yesterday and disliked them so much I ended up removing them.

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh my God, it's beautiful.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It's really cool. I agree with something built up around the waist would really set it off nicely. What I don't like is what it says about me that I can recognize so many of its component parts.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I'll dig through my spare parts and see if I have something adequate to use for the waist. It's certainly the weakest part of the build. The grimoire ball is hard to manipulate. Stoked that everyone likes the design

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
HLJ's getting a restock of the Master Grade Barbatos (along with a bunch of other Gunpla) in July if anyone's currently trying to get ahold of one. They're listed as a Backorder at the moment, but if you get your order in roughly within the next day or so (by 6PM JST, March 17th) you'll probably get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Bizarrely, Hobby Search has a preorder for a "after April rerelease" but seems to also have stocks of the second release as there's a MG Barbatos SKU that is not out of stock.