Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
gently caress
So yeah, this is the first time I'm finding out the resurrection statues can be used mid-fight; I thought they just refill the node without resetting the timer.
I think I might have had a more difficult time with this game than what was strictly necessary.

e: Update on previous page, folks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
"So this is what it's like being married" absolutely killed me.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Owl's the only boss that will actually try to deathblow you if you get posture broken. It's pretty easy to avoid by just rolling, but when you see him trying to stomp Wolf after breaking his posture, that's what he's going for.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Oh holy poo poo! Spoilering this since I'm posting so soon after the video has gone up, but that second boss fight is one of the pre-release bosses shown off! I don't remember if she was just in footage, or in playable demos, but I have definitely seen her before and had completely forgotten until I saw that bridge!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Okay so now I can bring up the other part of what’s going on in Shura. Sekiro absolutely is aware Owl is the one who stabbed him in Hirata at this point, maybe subconsciously but he is aware. So forsaking Kuro for the Iron Code means nothing to him beyond more killing, because he never intends to follow Owl in the first place.

Hence he strikes Owl down in his moment of glory/victory, in exactly the same way that Owl struck him down in Hirsta, and attempted to do so at the start of this fight. That’s why the Shura ending goes the way it does, Sekiro actively removes any relationships he has left solely for more power to slay any who oppose him.

Also oh god the block pumping and passivity in that Owl fight. Yes parrying is how you win, but you could have been attacking a lot more often. The biggest trick to getting really good against enemies like Owl and Genechiro is to push them into fighting defensively. Make them parry you, because they have maybe 3 attacks out of a parry, and Owl pretty routinely does the firecracker combo which you can parry twice, then dodge through the swing and get 2-3 free hits on his backside. In general Owl is actually a really bad swordsman, you can dodge under just about every swing he makes, and he telegraphs like the world’s slowest fax machine.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 15, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

(e: nvm, maybe it'll be shown off later)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Oh so the whole thing with the Monk is that her being weak to stealth deathblows is intentional during second phase. She is after all praying to create the mist and shadow copies of herself. However that being intentional led to unintentional stealth deathblows in phase one and the previous monk fight.

Fun fact, if you miss and she does the illusion shadows again you get another attempt at the deathblow.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sure would've been nice if Emma had come along to help Wolf kill his dad since this isn't the evil timeline.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

She only fights monsters.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Magmar posted:

what happened in Hirata
Fairly sure we haven't seen that yet; maybe spoiler tags are in order?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Owl just draws his sword? After he knelt and Sekiro started walking away, I was fully expecting us to take a shuriken to the back. And perhaps some kind of gimmick like us blocking them in-cutscene with the prosthetic arm, limiting/nullifying use of it during the fight.

So, uh, the rope man seemed to pick us up and then drop us off about a hundred metres away halfway up a hillside. Is this one of those things like Olympus where although it was considered the home of the gods it was also somewhere you could very feasibly hike to without any divine assistance?

Also holy poo poo, it looked like you were able to counterattack into some of Owl's windups and get him to flinch. Coming from dark souls I was really not expecting that.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

Fairly sure we haven't seen that yet; maybe spoiler tags are in order?

We have, after Lady Butterfly Sekiro got stabbed in the back and here he deflects a backstab. Also the blade's are basically identical.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd still wait until we've seen the cutscene in question but hey, whatever floats your boat.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

So what happens if you manage to die in some manner after the rope man takes you up, but before you activate the sculptor's idol? Do you have to go and get the rope man to pick you up again, or what?

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

anilEhilated posted:

I'd still wait until we've seen the cutscene in question but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Theres no other cutscene relating to what he's talking about. You're just meant to figure out that Owl was who stabbed you in Hirata because he tries to pull the same trick on you here.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

azren posted:

So what happens if you manage to die in some manner after the rope man takes you up, but before you activate the sculptor's idol? Do you have to go and get the rope man to pick you up again, or what?

You'd have to pretty deliberately walk right by it, but my guess is it'd set your respawn point to the start of the area when you enter.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Aw, you're better at not pushing forward than I was. You didn't get to show off that Owl knows the Mikiri counter.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We're not done with our hazy memory. There's still the question of what happened after Wolf got stabbed through the guts.
Hope you enjoyed kicking Dad's rear end last time. Oh, no reason...

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
You still don’t have everything for all the endings, you just have to check up on the Divine Child.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I think the attack name you were trying to think of for his forward thrust is Shadowrush/Shadowfall. A lot of Owl's attacks are straight out of the Shinobi and Prosthetic texts, like the shuriken followed by the attack that even perfectly deflecting forces you to dig your sword into the ground which is the pursuing slash you can do after shuriken, firecrackers, or spear. And just like most players he loves to spam firecrackers.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I am thrilled that your audio issues have been sorted out and now you have access to tons of funny soundboard options too. I got a taste of it when you were LPing Animal Parade but I realized that I absolutely love the idea of shock jock LPs.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
It looks like the description for the new rice ball is different than the original ones you got. This one bears Kuro's sadness and determination.

Also some real weird time poo poo going down.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

IMJack posted:

It looks like the description for the new rice ball is different than the original ones you got. This one bears Kuro's sadness and determination.

Also some real weird time poo poo going down.

It's less real weird time poo poo and more a poor explanation of dream realms I think.

Also absolutely you never killed Owl in the past, this is a mental creation of his memory with Sekiro visiting it.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 22, 2020

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The Buddha works in mysterious ways.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

EponymousMrYar posted:

The Buddha works in mysterious ways.

This is not even a joke. It's almost a direct quote from the game.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's less real weird time poo poo and more a poor explanation of dream realms I think.

Also absolutely you never killed Owl in the past, this is a mental creation of his memory with Sekiro visiting it.

I'd also guess that Owl was never that good a fighter in reality either.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dzhay posted:

I'd also guess that Owl was never that good a fighter in reality either.

If you rolled with Isshin you are likely to be pretty skilled in the art of making men into ghosts.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Owl was very good at killing people, maybe not at taking them in a head to head fight

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Owl definitely tries to avoid fighting as much as possible and instead just stabs people in the back. A master shinobi indeed.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah it very obviously worked until he tried to do that to the guy who'd spent his whole life watching him do that.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Hell, it even worked on that guy the first time.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

a cartoon duck posted:

Hell, it even worked on that guy the first time.

Yup, and it only failed the second time because said guy was expecting it the second time due to literal immortality letting him die the first time to it.

Owl definitely isn't a bad fighter, he's a master ninja after all, he is a bad swordsman though. I've mentioned before but his sword skills are the worst in the game outside the literal headless zombie ape. He telegraphs for years, his mix-ups aren't really all that mixed up and you can dodge under just about everything he does because he doesn't really aim down. It speaks to me of someone who has learnt the techniques but uses them so rarely he hasn't modified them for his situation, specifically his size compared to everyone he is fighting.

Likely he usually is either using backstabs or landing on people for single hit clean kills.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I know your body can start crapping out pretty quickly, but it still feels kind of weird that this old guy's "prime" was three years ago.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Dr Christmas posted:

I know your body can start crapping out pretty quickly, but it still feels kind of weird that this old guy's "prime" was three years ago.

Not exactly a job with a long life expectancy. The fact he's that old and still kicking that much rear end is terrifying

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Bellmaker posted:

Not exactly a job with a long life expectancy. The fact he's that old and still kicking that much rear end is terrifying

Yeah for context I think Owl and Lady Butterfly are meant to be roughly the same age, and the only human characters in game older than them so far are Isshin (who is literally dying of old age complications as far as we can tell) and maybe the Sculptor (who is also pretty poorly).

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Do we know how old Wolf himself is? He looked like a pretty young kid when Owl found him on the battlefield, and the intro cinematic says that "some twenty years" passed since Isshin took over Ashina and the start of the game. So he must be, what, somewhere around twenty five to thirty, depending on how old he's supposed to be during the intro cinematic?

And now that i'm thinking of it, is it ever said why Wolf was on that battlefield where Owl found him? I assumed that he must just be a war orphan scavenging the battlefield, but knowing this game I wouldn't be surprised if there was some deeper lore about it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Isshin's generation were a whole pile of absolute badasses, but he and the old ninjas are all that's left and they have one foot in the grave. They lived hard.

Wolf looks older than he is, because Kuro's power is wearing him out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ousire posted:

Do we know how old Wolf himself is? He looked like a pretty young kid when Owl found him on the battlefield, and the intro cinematic says that "some twenty years" passed since Isshin took over Ashina and the start of the game. So he must be, what, somewhere around twenty five to thirty, depending on how old he's supposed to be during the intro cinematic?
I would say roughly 30

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ousire posted:

And now that i'm thinking of it, is it ever said why Wolf was on that battlefield where Owl found him? I assumed that he must just be a war orphan scavenging the battlefield, but knowing this game I wouldn't be surprised if there was some deeper lore about it.

It was cold and he was looking for a horse to climb into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Isshin's generation were a whole pile of absolute badasses, but he and the old ninjas are all that's left and they have one foot in the grave. They lived hard.

There may be a causal link between 'being an absolute badass' and 'being one of the only survivors of your generation'. Everyone who couldn't kick at that level is already dead.

Edit: I'm looking at these actuarial charts from twenty years ago and the leading cause of death for people aged 15-35 is listed as "Isshin".

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 25, 2020