Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

This is depressing primarily because it isn't an example of 'rationing'. It's an example of healthcare staff being too scared for their own well-being to treat a patient.

NIV (non-invasive ventilation) is the standard of care for patients with severe COPD, but in patients with coronavirus it's a hazard because it blows virus all over the room. It IS still advised though, but the patient has to be isolated and everyone involved needs to wear the proper PPE.

In this case the guy probably didn't even have coronavirus, but just because he has respiratory symptoms the doctors were too afraid to go near him and set up the treatment he needs. If he had doctors who were more confident of their PPE (or just less concerned for their own well-being) they would have given him the treatment because that's what we're meant to do.

It's very aggravating, and I hold no illusions about healthcare staff being martyrs. But if you're going to let someone die just because they MIGHT have a disease that MIGHT infect you, what the gently caress are you doing in the hospital anyway? Wear your PPE and do your job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minema
May 31, 2011
I have a very cute video of my dog enjoying bubblewrap. Turn the sound on for maximum adorableness.

The embedded video was upsettingly large.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not-coronavirus chat:

I watch freesat (nb. NOT FREEVIEW they are different and where I live there are only about 5 channels on freeview).

Probably not the right time for this, but you sure you just don't need your aerial sorting out or replaced?

maybe one of these wideband ones

instead of one of these old grouped ones

or maybe just a grouped one specific to your transmitter if you get poor reception, they've messed around with things during the digital switchover so you might just need to tweak your setup

I know you love the technical stuff so here's someone ranting about aerials!
https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/aerials/atvs-choice-of-tv-aerials-and-why-we-chose-them

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You could try something like a flat wideband indoor antenna if you don't fancy getting up on the roof.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I'm a lifelong atheist but I find myself turning to religion in these trying times

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Wachter posted:

I'm a lifelong atheist but I find myself turning to religion in these trying times

It’s not gruesome enough for Papa Nurgle.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Hearing reports in London that the government is closing Thorpe park to turn it into a mass grave, scary stuff.

However in real news went shopping today around Birmingham and holy poo poo it’s like the apocalypse, security posted at the end of the toilet roll and soap aisles confiscating peoples stuff if they are taking too much, police being called due to an argument about how much milk you can take resulting in an irate man taking a swing at a security guard. Absolutely mental.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Drone_Fragger posted:

Hearing reports in London that the government is closing Thorpe park to turn it into a mass grave, scary stuff.

However in real news went shopping today around Birmingham and holy poo poo it’s like the apocalypse, security posted at the end of the toilet roll and soap aisles confiscating peoples stuff if they are taking too much, police being called due to an argument about how much milk you can take resulting in an irate man taking a swing at a security guard. Absolutely mental.

Was it fresh milk? :laugh:

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

Went down to my local Asda today, frozen veg and toilet roll are pretty much decimated, but there's still plenty of beans and spam for my goon-isolation dietary needs.

Honestly felt kinda normal? The atmosphere feels a little ominous and I'm worried what's going to happen over the next few weeks.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Chinese Gordon posted:

Top tip for shopping: go to specialty ethnic shops/supermarkets. Most white people don't know they exist/are too scared to go in.

Haha, you're not wrong! Just had a wander around Bootses in Euston/St Pancras and not a thing to be had, but plenty of toilet paper and hand wash in the Nisa local (which barely counts as "ethnic" but is still hidden and potentially scary - and TARDIS like inside).

Related, audiences have been stealing the large bottles of hand sanitiser from the theatre toilets - they've had to put signs up begging them to stop

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So last I heard the UK government's response was something along the lines of "we have stockpiles of everything necessary, including sherry, and no one Fortunate enough to live in Britain is going to die of the cough".

Has anything changed?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Drone_Fragger posted:

People getting cheesed off huh?

endlessmonotony posted:

So last I heard the UK government's response was something along the lines of "we have stockpiles of everything necessary, including sherry, and no one Fortunate enough to live in Britain is going to die of the cough".

Has anything changed?

Yes government strategy is "Some of you will die but for now, keep shopping."

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

The man in a yellow jacket is rather handsome

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

This is depressing primarily because it isn't an example of 'rationing'. It's an example of healthcare staff being too scared for their own well-being to treat a patient.

NIV (non-invasive ventilation) is the standard of care for patients with severe COPD, but in patients with coronavirus it's a hazard because it blows virus all over the room. It IS still advised though, but the patient has to be isolated and everyone involved needs to wear the proper PPE.

In this case the guy probably didn't even have coronavirus, but just because he has respiratory symptoms the doctors were too afraid to go near him and set up the treatment he needs. If he had doctors who were more confident of their PPE (or just less concerned for their own well-being) they would have given him the treatment because that's what we're meant to do.

It's very aggravating, and I hold no illusions about healthcare staff being martyrs. But if you're going to let someone die just because they MIGHT have a disease that MIGHT infect you, what the gently caress are you doing in the hospital anyway? Wear your PPE and do your job.

It's kinda depressing that not a single person wanted a chance at playing the hero tbh.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Liz Truss knew

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

endlessmonotony posted:

Has anything changed?
first,
"we're going to give everyone the cough, the strong will survive, and mystical secrets of The Herd Immunity will be granted us by the gods"

and now,
"we promise we're not trying to give everyone the cough, and we might take some steps at some point, but not yet. stop asking. also we're only going to test the hospitalised."

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/GMB_union/status/1239116140498034692?s=20

gently caress sake

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
https://twitter.com/rh0desy/status/1238851275523047432

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

CGI Stardust posted:

first,
"we're going to give everyone the cough, the strong will survive, and mystical secrets of The Herd Immunity will be granted us by the gods"

and now,
"we promise we're not trying to give everyone the cough, and we might take some steps at some point, but not yet. stop asking. also we're only going to test the hospitalised."

Well herd immunity is a thing, that's not what the problem is. The problem is getting it through population level exposure rather than vaccination with inadequate monitoring of cases or protection of high risk category people.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
All their plans, assuming it's not just to kill lots of people, seem to be based around the idea of a NHS with no limits. I think these highly paid experts came in and literally forgot or ignored that there are only so many ICU spaces.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

namesake posted:

Yes government strategy is "Some of you will die but for now, keep shopping."

I heard something about making sure the elderly don't leave their homes recently though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

meanwhile Die Welt is reporting Trump is throwing money at a German company to get "exclusive access, for the US only" to a vaccine they're developing

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

All their plans, assuming it's not just to kill lots of people, seem to be based around the idea of a NHS with no limits. I think these highly paid experts came in and literally forgot or ignored that there are only so many ICU spaces.

No that's quite specifically not what they're doing? They're aware of the limits and want to compress the number of cases below the capacity of the NHS. The issue is that the capacity is quite low and they aren't monitoring the important factors in that equation and really don't seem to be ordering the necessary steps to curb growth at all.

endlessmonotony posted:

I heard something about making sure the elderly don't leave their homes recently though.

gently caress knows really. They're sort of announcing plans to enable the elderly to remain indoors for an unspecified period of time to be rolled out at some point.

Join the mutual aid groups being set up around the country or set one up yourself if there aren't any for Christsake.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
No passenger ferries from Portsmouth to Le Havre but you can get them to Caen or St Malo, no ferries from Plymouth or Ireland to Spain, but you can go to Roscoff in France, while you can get a ferry from Portsmouth to Spain, but only to Bilbao, not Santander. No passenger ferries from Portsmouth to the Channel Islands, only freight as of right now too

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

namesake posted:

Well herd immunity is a thing, that's not what the problem is. The problem is getting it through population level exposure rather than vaccination with inadequate monitoring of cases or protection of high risk category people.
I know :v: It's their repeated public incantations of the protective magic Science!!! spells "herd immunity level 3" and "flattening the curve level 1" while hiding the underlying data and assumptions that winds me up (ed: unless anyone's managed to find anything they've published on it?)

endlessmonotony posted:

they've announced (well, leaked rather) that that's planned. in the next phase. which is not now. but they're doing all they can in this phase, don't worry

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Hello thread, happy to join you here in The End Times

Think I should stop going to the gym now? The first case has been confirmed at University of Exeter, so I've already strongly advised my immunosuppressed partner not to go into work tomorrow, and my gym is always full of students. Gross, dirty students.

I've not been paying tons of attention to this whole thing but today definitely feels like poo poo's getting really real from here on in. I can't say I'm surprised that the tories are loving this up as much as they, according to this thread, apparently are

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

baka kaba posted:

meanwhile Die Welt is reporting Trump is throwing money at a German company to get "exclusive access, for the US only" to a vaccine they're developing

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/15/trump-offers-large-sums-for-exclusive-access-to-coronavirus-vaccine

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Barry Foster posted:

Hello thread, happy to join you here in The End Times

Think I should stop going to the gym now? The first case has been confirmed at University of Exeter, so I've already strongly advised my immunosuppressed partner not to go into work tomorrow, and my gym is always full of students. Gross, dirty students.

I've not been paying tons of attention to this whole thing but today definitely feels like poo poo's getting really real from here on in. I can't say I'm surprised that the tories are loving this up as much as they, according to this thread, apparently are

You should have already stopped going. By the time there's a confirmed case it's too late.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Apparently the CEO of the company had a meeting in the white house a couple of weeks ago, and was then immediately sacked by the company and replaced by the old founder who's a scientist rather than a businessman.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Jesus.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Literally walked past people doing more or less exactly that on friday lol. I love my home.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Sloth Life posted:

In non Corona virus news I have recently discovered Fascinating Aida. Saucy old ladies singing risque and often political songs

https://youtu.be/mVy7faNKEtM

Love them. This one's my favourite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAg0lUYHHFc

an angry penguin
Oct 12, 2007

Time to de-lurk again.

I'm disabled and have a chronic illness (plus bonus lung damage!), so I'm going to have to self-isolate. I'm so stressed and anxious over this all. And the relatives I rely on to help with me with day-to-day activities I can't do myself? They're over 70. So that's gonna be fun if they get quarantined. Thankfully they're taking this seriously (I am hearing endlessly about the holiday to France they've just cancelled).

I just went to book a food shop at Sainsburys and all their delivery slots for the next 3 weeks are taken. I can't do a big shop in person so I rely on my fortnightly deliveries with them. Luckily Tesco still had a few slots left open. I also can't get any of the anti-bacterial stuff I use regularly, so that's stressing me out as well.

Sorry to moan at you all, this situation is just so ridiculous and horrible and arghhhh.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

an angry penguin posted:

Time to de-lurk again.

I'm disabled and have a chronic illness (plus bonus lung damage!), so I'm going to have to self-isolate. I'm so stressed and anxious over this all. And the relatives I rely on to help with me with day-to-day activities I can't do myself? They're over 70. So that's gonna be fun if they get quarantined. Thankfully they're taking this seriously (I am hearing endlessly about the holiday to France they've just cancelled).

I just went to book a food shop at Sainsburys and all their delivery slots for the next 3 weeks are taken. I can't do a big shop in person so I rely on my fortnightly deliveries with them. Luckily Tesco still had a few slots left open. I also can't get any of the anti-bacterial stuff I use regularly, so that's stressing me out as well.

Sorry to moan at you all, this situation is just so ridiculous and horrible and arghhhh.

See what mutual aid groups exist near you and they might be able to give you and your relatives the support they need over the coming weeks:

https://airtable.com/shrUCI7eE8xDqXLEx/tblFqGvhbICXwl493/viwenxDwDhhfOUiQu?blocks=hide

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

namesake posted:

Do you have any good Chinese takeaways nearby? That's a nice solidarity gesture as well.

Went to my local and I the owner was sat behind the counter watching TV and eating while his wife/cook was nowhere to be seen. Served in record time because they had literally nothing else to do - no other customers present and no phone deliveries.

So yeah, go visit your locals at least once. Ours have been there since my schooldays and it's lovely that people are avoiding them just because they're Chinese.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

That's from a film called 'Rita, Bob and Sue too', just in case you thought it was real.

an angry penguin
Oct 12, 2007

namesake posted:

See what mutual aid groups exist near you and they might be able to give you and your relatives the support they need over the coming weeks:

https://airtable.com/shrUCI7eE8xDqXLEx/tblFqGvhbICXwl493/viwenxDwDhhfOUiQu?blocks=hide

Thanks. There's one semi-nearby... I wonder if I ought to make one for this specific area.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

sassassin posted:

You should have already stopped going. By the time there's a confirmed case it's too late.

Ah. Whoops. Well then I'll stop going. I hope I've not spread it around accidentally, or brought it home.

I guess we're lucky in that my partner takes immunosuppressants for RA, so she can stop them if need be. Her immune system is fierce when it's not being constantly poisoned

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

namesake posted:

No that's quite specifically not what they're doing? They're aware of the limits and want to compress the number of cases below the capacity of the NHS. The issue is that the capacity is quite low and they aren't monitoring the important factors in that equation and really don't seem to be ordering the necessary steps to curb growth at all.

They talk a good game about wanting to 'flatten the curve', but I can't think of a single measure they've introduced to do so.

Meanwhile epidemiologists are screaming that you need to get ahead of illnesses like this, because once you're in the exponential spread phase things will spiral out of control extremely fast. Every day the government delays social distancing measures sees thousands more people infected 'under the radar', and I can't for the life of me figure out why they aren't acting.

Surely any measures to flatten the curve are more effective the earlier they're introduced, when there is less burden of disease already in the population?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

jabby posted:

I'm hearing the available anaesthesiologist had not been fitted for PPE.