Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Thanks. I thought I was just being a dumb dumb. I guess what I could do is replace some of the mediocre teams with one of their all timers in my league instead but then do I wind up with 2 Julius Ervings and 3 Magic Johnsons in my league? Thanks for clarifying and keeping me from wasting my time any further.

In the rosters menu you can switch players around however you like. So you can swap lovely players with the legends you want just make sure to save the roster and load it in when prompted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
My daily VC mission is to get a triple double.

At 3 quarter time I had 19 pts, 10 reb, 9 ast, with a teammate missing a semi-open shot on the buzzer that would have made it 10.

The coach then sat me out the entire final quarter. :argh:

I tabbed out during a Hank & Hornet interview and when i went back in my player was stuck going full :gary:

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
so nba2k20 was approaching nonsense levels rather early in the game year with the new year resolution cards and then giving bill russell, dwight howard, etc legitimate three points but ben simmons with a 99 3pt and hof limitless range is absurd

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

got some chores tonight posted:

so nba2k20 was approaching nonsense levels rather early in the game year with the new year resolution cards and then giving bill russell, dwight howard, etc legitimate three points but ben simmons with a 99 3pt and hof limitless range is absurd

as long as his tendancy is set to rock bottom it's accurate

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Trae Young sends Jokic into next week.

Giant Trae Young receives his match ball.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

CP3 bounced the ball off Adams' head back to himself.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I’ve been playing through the myCareer mode of NBA2K20 and I have to say my experience so far has been...odd. It’s my first time playing the game and this mode so maybe it’s always like this.

It seems like they assume you already know how to play, since the tutorials are pretty basic. So I just dove right in, making a hideously skinny white guy who seems to have earned the nickname ‘Che’ which sucks and I can’t change it no matter what setting I adjust. Also I have some weird beef with Idris Elba that I don’t understand at all.

After fumbling my way through the early part I somehow earn a place in the draft combine, which kind of sounds like a meat grinder. I play ok but completely embarrass myself in the bench press, vertical leap etc. Whatever, I’m apparently here to disrupt the system, and eventually I end up getting drafted by the Clippers, yay.

Except something is wrong. Zubac seems to be on the roster, but never plays a game. Montrez gets injured in the first game, so Noah gets huge minutes, where he stands out on the wing with a pained expression on his face. And we have some random dude called Anderson Murray, who I think was on my college team, and seems to have taken the place of someone actually good, which sucks.

I’m pretty much single-handedly responsible for tanking the early Clippers season. They keep giving me minutes even though I suck, and we have lost a few games by 20-30 points.

I had an awkward Jewish agent, who I finally warmed up to, but then randomly I was forced to swap to a new Jewish agent, who looks very similar but seems to be even more awkward and incompetent. He keeps booking me for interviews and publicity events, but when I show up there’s already another NBA star there, so I stand in the corner asking when lunch is ready.

But slowly, painfully, I’m getting the hang of it. In my last game I lead the team with 32 points. Kawhi shows me love. I get a radio interview where I show my appreciation for the coach, which gives me a bonus to team chemistry, but then when I get back to the locker room a bunch of players seemed pissed and told me to watch what I say, and I ended up apologizing to everyone.

To sum up my season so far: what the gently caress? Bonus pic of my dorky rear end being signed:

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Oh and double post but I bought the Legends Edition on sale but I haven't received any of the bonuses. This is on Switch. Is there a trick to redeeming them? It's a shitload of cash that I'm missing out on.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Disco De Soto posted:

Oh and double post but I bought the Legends Edition on sale but I haven't received any of the bonuses. This is on Switch. Is there a trick to redeeming them? It's a shitload of cash that I'm missing out on.

From having a quick look on reddit, it seems to be a common problem on Switch.

You may need to contact 2k support.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Largepotato posted:

From having a quick look on reddit, it seems to be a common problem on Switch.

You may need to contact 2k support.

Yeah I did that more than a week ago but maybe they are busy trying not to die of covid-19.

Is there a way to see who is on your team? Zubac seems to have been dropped for this Murray loser but when I look at roster under myCareer Zubac is there. Is there a way to force changes in the roster?

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 15, 2020

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Disco De Soto posted:

Yeah I did that more than a week ago but maybe they are busy trying not to die of covid-19.

Is there a way to see who is on your team? Zubac seems to have been dropped for this Murray loser but when I look at roster under myCareer Zubac is there. Is there a way to force changes in the roster?

Eventually after you become a starter you can adjust the minutes people play.

Can't remember when this usually shows up, but it should be between the start of January and All-Star weekend.

In MyCareer the Options/Quit Settings, you can change your Secondary Name which changes how the commentators refer to you during commentary. I also recommend turning off Camera Shake there to get rid of the annoying shaking when shooting free throws in an away arena.

In Coach Settings I turn Offense/Defense Playcalling to auto as I'm too lazy to do them myself.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

The commentators and social media have changed, but not everything else. I guess that nickname was super important to the narrative.

When I look in the team stats Zubac isn’t there :(

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Disco De Soto posted:

The commentators and social media have changed, but not everything else. I guess that nickname was super important to the narrative.

When I look in the team stats Zubac isn’t there :(

Is your player a center? It's possible he got replaced when you joined, although it's usually a player further down the depth chart that disappears.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Largepotato posted:

Is your player a center? It's possible he got replaced when you joined, although it's usually a player further down the depth chart that disappears.

No he's a SG. Seems like even with Zubac gone we have 6 centers! But with Zubac out and Montrez injured our interior defense is terrible so we're currently 15-14 haha.

Another weird thing - of the 29 games I've played so far, we've only played one game in the Braves jersey, and none in the black one (which is my fav and the one I have irl) or the LA jersey. The other games it's only been the blue or white. What gives?

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 15, 2020

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Disco De Soto posted:

No he's a SG. Seems like even with Zubac gone we have 6 centers! But with Zubac out and Montrez injured our interior defense is terrible so we're currently 15-14 haha.

Another weird thing - of the 29 games I've played so far, we've only played one game in the Braves jersey, and none in the black one (which is my fav and the one I have irl) or the LA jersey. The other games it's only been the blue or white. What gives?

eventually you'll be able to set your team's jerseys for every game, just keep grinding

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I am so bad at dribbling I dont know any moves and unless I have a clean lane to the basket I can never get a layup. Is there no in game tutorial? What are the easiest dribble moves to know? I just want to hit a loving crossover or something basic and lay it up.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Disco De Soto posted:

Did Zubac ever play earlier in the season? There's also the possibility he got traded. The cpu gm in mycareer loves to do dumb trades.

Waroduce posted:

I am so bad at dribbling I dont know any moves and unless I have a clean lane to the basket I can never get a layup. Is there no in game tutorial? What are the easiest dribble moves to know? I just want to hit a loving crossover or something basic and lay it up.

In Play Now there's Training Game. Change the tutorial to dribbling and it will show the controls of each one and let you practice.

Also in games you can pause and go to settings, controls and get a list of them.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Katana_Warrior posted:

eventually you'll be able to set your team's jerseys for every game, just keep grinding

Ha this happened the very next game.

My biggest frustration now is that every third game it drops the connection and I have to start over. Once it even cut out with 2 min left in the 4th. Luckily most of the time we’re getting beaten by 20 points so it gives me a chance to suck less.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Aw poo poo I’m actually getting the hang of this - the badges make a huge difference. I got my first double-double and Player of the Game against Oklahoma then we totally embarrassed the Lakers on Christmas Day for a second Player of the Game. Chris Paul and Rondo were my bitches.

3pt shooting is by far my highest stat but I can’t shoot for poo poo so I just take easy layups.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Of all the mycareer players I've made, the pure shooter has been the most difficult to consistently make an impact from distance.

Generally what happens is I will make a few early shots and then the defender will stick to me like superglue. When this happens it's simple to make cuts to the basket for easy layups, but getting open perimeter shots can be a nightmare.

It certainly doesn't help that the shooting pie gets a speed & agility penalty compared to the others.

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 17, 2020

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
e: random double post

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Playing an older version against the CPU and got a cool team in a legends fantasy draft league but the loving CPU AI can be so cheap. They become super human at times which, OK, I expect but the main thing I hate is my team mates running out of their passing lanes into intentional turnovers. My dude is open and I go to pass it to him but he automatically decides to lead himself into a defender and gently caress up the passing lane. Doesn't matter if I'm icon passing or not.

Is there a way to lead him to the ball or is it just welp, CPU is losing. Time for a steal?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Largepotato posted:

Of all the mycareer players I've made, the pure shooter has been the most difficult to consistently make an impact from distance.

Generally what happens is I will make a few early shots and then the defender will stick to me like superglue. When this happens it's simple to make cuts to the basket for easy layups, but getting open perimeter shots can be a nightmare.

It certainly doesn't help that the shooting pie gets a speed & agility penalty compared to the others.

The worst thing in this game is how the CPU guards you like prime Steph Curry if you are able to shoot the ball at all, just hugging your player the entire game while sapping your stamina. It is easy to score once they start doing this by cutting to the basket, but it's not really fun at all.

I dropped from HoF to Superstar difficulty and the game is much more interesting now that I don't have to cheese it to win, but they still do the ball denial thing basically the entire game.

BiggerBoat posted:

Playing an older version against the CPU and got a cool team in a legends fantasy draft league but the loving CPU AI can be so cheap. They become super human at times which, OK, I expect but the main thing I hate is my team mates running out of their passing lanes into intentional turnovers. My dude is open and I go to pass it to him but he automatically decides to lead himself into a defender and gently caress up the passing lane. Doesn't matter if I'm icon passing or not.

Is there a way to lead him to the ball or is it just welp, CPU is losing. Time for a steal?

You can lead players a little bit by moving the left stick in the direction you want the receiver to move while pressing the icon pass or make them drive to the basket by holding down Y (triangle on PS4?) or holding B/O to make the CPU run to you for a handoff pass.

However, I am convinced that the comeback code does exist and take over the game to force unrealistic turnovers and misses that are unavoidable.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

I’m confused by the injury system. Montrez was injured in the first game and it says 4-6 weeks but he’s missed half the season. What gives?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
My mycareer shooting guard is in season 2 and I noticed in the league news that the Lakers were on a 6 game losing streak.

I checked their roster and the off season was not kind to them.

There's a bunch of 75 overall SF & SG. Kuzma & Millsap are the only PFs, the only 2 centers are 73 & 70 overall rookies.

Anthony Davis went to the Hawks. Howard, McGee, & Cousins all went elsewhere too.

Disco De Soto posted:

I’m confused by the injury system. Montrez was injured in the first game and it says 4-6 weeks but he’s missed half the season. What gives?

The injury shows how much longer he has left to recover.

Sounds like the original injury started around 4 months or so.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Now it says 2-4 weeks how many games is that?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Duggler posted:

You can lead players a little bit by moving the left stick in the direction you want the receiver to move while pressing the icon pass or make them drive to the basket by holding down Y (triangle on PS4?) or holding B/O to make the CPU run to you for a handoff pass.

However, I am convinced that the comeback code does exist and take over the game to force unrealistic turnovers and misses that are unavoidable.

Yeah, you can really feel it when it's happening. They say that calling time outs cuts down on that poo poo and to some extent it does. But if I'm up by 10 points or more and the CPU decides "nah, gently caress that", they just go into amphetamine mode. I tried what you said about leading the pass but I swear to god, when the CPU wants a steal, my guy will cut right into a blocked passing lane even if he was moving to an open spot where I wanted and expected him.

Still, one thing I have to hand this game (and I enjoy it a lot) is how well they incorporate styles, size, body types, athleticism and matchups that really make every player and team feel real and play different from one another. I have Mutumbo on my team and that fucker can really shut down the paint. Guys with good passing ratings can really dish. lovely free throw shooters are...well..lovely free throw show shooters. Strong rebounders really crash the glass.

Every player feels a little different from the next and usually in a realistic way. Certain teams don't match up well with others.

Except I can't grab offensive boards and put backs to save my loving life, whether I have Moses Malone, Rodman or whoever, like the CPU can. I've figured out most everything else except put backs.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Disco De Soto posted:

Now it says 2-4 weeks how many games is that?

If it's only just changed over, it will be 3-4 weeks worth of games.

It will change to 1-2 weeks when he gets within 2 weeks of coming back, then day-by-day when it's within 7 days of recovery.

The Duggler posted:

My favourite is when you're up by 20 and get subbed off. Then just 4 minutes later you come back on and the lead has been cut by 15+.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Still, one thing I have to hand this game (and I enjoy it a lot) is how well they incorporate styles, size, body types, athleticism and matchups that really make every player and team feel real and play different from one another. I have Mutumbo on my team and that fucker can really shut down the paint. Guys with good passing ratings can really dish. lovely free throw shooters are...well..lovely free throw show shooters. Strong rebounders really crash the glass.

Every player feels a little different from the next and usually in a realistic way. Certain teams don't match up well with others.

Yeah it's really fun to see all the players with their personal moves and celebrations, like seeing Kawhi pull up for his mid-range, or Jokic with his spinning fall-away. It keeps telling me to show off in the pre-game intros by doing something with the right stick but I can't figure out what it's supposed to be doing.

Trez is back and he helped us with a close win over the Warriors and totally smash the Nuggets by 40-odd points. Still confused about what happened to Zubac - he shows up in our team stats (with all 0s) and can't find him in any other team list. In myCareer do you get a say on the roster/trades?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Disco De Soto posted:

Still confused about what happened to Zubac - he shows up in our team stats (with all 0s) and can't find him in any other team list. In myCareer do you get a say on the roster/trades?

Although it doesn't make much sense, it's possible he was sent to the G-League. See if he has a G-league tab with stats in his profile.

Influence trade/free agency is the last thing that unlocks although it seems very hit or miss.

For free agency, I think you only want to target people that have no team option on their contract.

From what I've read with trades, you want to match their salary to someone on your team and only target players that are unhappy in some way.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

On my first career I asked the Nets GM to target Anthony Davis and Siakam over the summer and somehow they managed to bring both of those guys in without losing a single player.

A lineup of Kyrie, Durant, Spicy P and AD is basically unstoppable even before you add in my 97 overall SG to fill out the roster. It actually sucked the fun right out of the game because if you play lower than Hall of Fame difficulty you win by 50, and if you do play on HoF you can't hit an open shot and your teammates play like absolute idiots.

So be careful when you suggest signings in the off-season, try to keep in mind that it is possible that your superteam will actually worsen the experience.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Will I also have to request the Free Agents from my team get signed again? Don't want to lose Montrez and Morris and Jackson.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Not sure if you can request from your own team.

Starters seem to return, but rotation players tend to sign elsewhere.

e: My SG's team signed Aron Baynes, despite him still have for 6-8 months left on an ACL injury from the previous season.

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 21, 2020

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Just checked influence free agency with one of my players in the playoffs. Players on your own team don't show up on the list.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Ok, well maybe they will stay anyway. Montrez is a starter anyway.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Hey when you level up it says something like "Attribute upgraded" what does that actually mean? Does it raise the potential max of one random attribute?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Things got a bit awkward between Paul George and Buddy Hield after the completion of the Western Conference Finals.

Disco De Soto posted:

Hey when you level up it says something like "Attribute upgraded" what does that actually mean? Does it raise the potential max of one random attribute?

It means you have 6 more points available to add to your stats in Progression > Progression.

e: To expand, a newly created player only has enough upgrade points to get the player overall to 85. Once you earn enough points (and vc) to fill all columns, the player will be 95 overall.

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 23, 2020

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Largepotato posted:

It means you have 6 more points available to add to your stats in Progression > Progression.

e: To expand, a newly created player only has enough upgrade points to get the player overall to 85. Once you earn enough points (and vc) to fill all columns, the player will be 95 overall.

Cool, thanks. Is it just random which attributes are added to?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Disco De Soto posted:

Cool, thanks. Is it just random which attributes are added to?

You choose where they go on this screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

lord help me; i've started playing 2k again