Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Liverpool half marathon was also on today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Angrymog posted:

Looks like they blocked in an alleyway to build that.

When I was houseshopping I looked at a terrace that was noticeably narrower than its neighbours. Comically the listing described it as an ideal place for a new family. You would only just have been able to fit a double bed into the main bedroom, and there literally wasn't the space to swing a cat in the building.

lol

estate agents are the worst for poo poo like that. I once viewed a house that had a window on the stairs, and absolutely loving miles away behind a load of grim grey buildings was a tiny bit of the sea. The woman described it as a sea view and said if she lived here she'd just stand there all day... looking out the window halfway up the stairs

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

mehall posted:

I'm hearing the available anaesthesiologist had not been fitted for PPE.

My workplace has suspended mask fit testing because they were burning through all our masks.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh on the anaesthetist, there are times when you have to worry about your own health first. But refusing to start a life-saving treatment because the patient might have Covid-19 and your PPE might not be 100% effective is taking things a bit far in my opinion. You can't expect to eliminate all risk to yourself during an epidemic.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Paperhouse posted:

lol

estate agents are the worst for poo poo like that. I once viewed a house that had a window on the stairs, and absolutely loving miles away behind a load of grim grey buildings was a tiny bit of the sea. The woman described it as a sea view and said if she lived here she'd just stand there all day... looking out the window halfway up the stairs

The bathroom had something that wasn't a bath or a shower, rather a sort of tiny, deep, corner-tub.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

The bathroom had something that wasn't a bath or a shower, rather a sort of tiny, deep, corner-tub.

Are you sure that's not one of those upright baths for old people? You can squeeze showers into the tiniest places and they're generally cheaper too.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

jabby posted:

My workplace has suspended mask fit testing because they were burning through all our masks.

Mine has said that the next they can fit me in is monday week and also I have to supply my own mask. I don’t have a point I’m just annoyed I had to shave my beard off for no reason.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kyojin posted:

I strongly suspect the last child to be called Boris in this country has already been born

So Boris has managed to be the new Winston Churchill, then?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Juche Couture posted:

Mine has said that the next they can fit me in is monday week and also I have to supply my own mask. I don’t have a point I’m just annoyed I had to shave my beard off for no reason.
you can keep the tache at least

:godwinning:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are you sure that's not one of those upright baths for old people? You can squeeze showers into the tiniest places and they're generally cheaper too.

Nope, it didn't have a door; you'd have to step over the rim into it.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

XMNN posted:

Liverpool half marathon was also on today

"I'll be fine, I'm not touching anything"

*Clips through the floor like a busted Mario 64 romhack*

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
oh my god just shut the gently caress up:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So Sainsburys doesn't have any online delivery slots for the next three weeks.

I don't know how other supermarkets are doing but that's... Bad.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Italy figures out: another 368 dead :stare:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Angrymog posted:

Nope, it didn't have a door; you'd have to step over the rim into it.

One of my friends in Norway had one of those years ago. You can sit in it hunched up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Finite number of drivers I guess, and trucks :v:

Conceivably if they can get the trucks they could have more of the pickers do driving and retask some of the shop floor staff to be pickers but that's still gonna be hard.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Communist Thoughts posted:

so me and my partner have been fluey for 10+ days now, but don't know if we're basically overcoming a mild case of covid and could then go out once it clears up or if we're at higher risk

Same, I feel better now but don't feel safe going outside in case I just had a cold. Ugh.

How long do we reckon this will take to peak? My dad's convinced that we'll still be in the thick of it come May. Also what's the likelihood of London being quarantined?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

sinky posted:

oh my god just shut the gently caress up:

look just because they keep nominating bland centrists and losing doesn't mean it'll happen yet again

anyway my bidet attachment arrived but i can't get the toilet seat off because the bolts are so ancient they've rusted the plastic nuts completely stuck lol

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Jedit posted:

So Boris has managed to be the new Winston Churchill, then?

Yes - a racist piece of poo poo who caused a fuckton of needless deaths.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

look just because they keep nominating bland centrists and losing doesn't mean it'll happen yet again

anyway my bidet attachment arrived but i can't get the toilet seat off because the bolts are so ancient they've rusted the plastic nuts completely stuck lol

From my experience they're probably jammed on with decades of hardened piss.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

Finite number of drivers I guess, and trucks :v:

Conceivably if they can get the trucks they could have more of the pickers do driving and retask some of the shop floor staff to be pickers but that's still gonna be hard.

Yeah, just wondering what the gently caress people are going to do for food if they're isolating.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

OwlFancier posted:

From my experience they're probably jammed on with decades of hardened piss.

i'll go to B&Q after work tomorrow and buy a new toilet seat and just break the old one if necessary lol

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

ThomasPaine posted:

Also what's the likelihood of London being quarantined?

100%

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Angrymog posted:

Mate I thought we'd discussed bidets to death at this point

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Barry Foster posted:

I'm rather more than dubious.

Yeah, message received. I feel a bit stupid because I've maybe leaned too far into 'don't pay attention to what's going on' mode since December and now that I've returned briefly to the UKMT and its horrors I can see that blithely getting on with your life in the midst of a generation-defining pandemic was actually dumb as heck.

We've just discovered that her immunosuppressant drug actually might help with The Bug, so that's good https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30304-4/fulltext

not your fault, mate.
the gov and tv are basically playing things down on purpose.
stay safe!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Very cool that I have a rental contract ending on 1st May and nowhere else in this city to go then.

E: I have places to go in the UK! Just not London. Kinda concerned that they close off the city and I'm left in the lurch.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 15, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

stev posted:

Yeah, just wondering what the gently caress people are going to do for food if they're isolating.

Exactly. My mother lives 8 miles from the nearest supermarket in the middle of nowhere with no mobile phone signal. I don't envy anyone trying to force her to stop home - she is very wilful. If you tell her she can't do something, oh she will, she surely will, do it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Communist Thoughts posted:

not your fault, mate.
the gov and tv are basically playing things down on purpose.
stay safe!

Right, exactly. These last few months are the first time in a decade that I've stepped back from current events, and I gotta say in hindsight it's absolutely shocking how easy it is to lapse into complacency when you're a news civvie. It's been really good for my mental health but yeah, lol, what a time to indulge.

Anyway I hope all y'all are holding tight and doing ok.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

Very cool that I have a rental contract ending on 1st May and nowhere else in this city to go then.

When that happens email your landlord and tell him you have the virus. See how keen he is to evict you then

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I've sort of been assuming that self isolation can include going out to buy food if it's a choice of that or starving, but I'm also glad that I do have a small stock of stuff in to eat if necessary. Nowhere near enough to last the full two weeks, but it's something.

I'm going to pick up some cans if I can tomorrow, but who knows what the shops will look like.

After all, it's not like forcing an online delivery driver to come into your infested house to deliver your groceries is exactly a better option than going out. You still run a significant risk of passing on the disease to people who have a bit of contact with a LOT of people.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

When that happens email your landlord and tell him you have the virus. See how keen he is to evict you then

I had always planned to move out of the city then so would need to give a month's notice at the start of April. I'm now very uncertain what to do because if London is sealed in April I'm kinda hosed.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

ThomasPaine posted:

E: I have places to go in the UK! Just not London. Kinda concerned that they close off the city and I'm left in the lurch.

Were you planning to leave that place? Because the landlord would probably be overjoyed for you to stay a few extra weeks in these circumstances.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Barry Foster posted:

Right, exactly. These last few months are the first time in a decade that I've stepped back from current events, and I gotta say in hindsight it's absolutely shocking how easy it is to lapse into complacency when you're a news civvie. It's been really good for my mental health but yeah, lol, what a time to indulge.

Anyway I hope all y'all are holding tight and doing ok.

absolute same

I checked out from the election until late last month, on the basis that I couldn't do anything about the news so why worry, and it is amazing how little news filters through if you're semi actively avoiding it.

I heard about the Corona virus in January cos I was visiting a friend, and then a bit more after that as it was a semi-local news story, but the people in my office were far more likely to be talking about love island than the news so I was completely unaware of e.g. trimp almost starting a war with iran*

I think I'm definitely in a much better place than I was, mentally, so I don't regret it at all, but slowly getting back up to speed with a couple of months of current events is a weird and fairly interesting experience

e: *tbf to them, they might have been discussing it occasionally but I've taken to wearing earphones full time in the office because love island is the most banal trash imaginable and I could feel my brain starting to drip out of my ears whenever someone went "OMG DID YPU SEE WHAT LIAM SAID TO KAREN LAST NIGHT THEYRE SO CUUUTE"

thank gently caress it's over

XMNN fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 15, 2020

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

elbkaida posted:

Were you planning to leave that place? Because the landlord would probably be overjoyed for you to stay a few extra weeks in these circumstances.

Yeah, my job contract ends the same time and another month's rent here would cripple me.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

There are going to be thousands of empty airbnb places. You never know, someone might be willing to do a deal with you?

I'm just wondering whether to cancel an airbnb booked for Cambridge in June in the next couple of weeks. We paid half already.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

XMNN posted:

absolute same

I checked out from the election until late last month, on the basis that I couldn't do anything about the news so why worry, and it is amazing how little news filters through if you're semi actively avoiding it.

I heard about the Corona virus in January cos I was visiting a friend, and then a bit more after that as it was a semi-local news story, but the people in my office were far more likely to be talking about love island than the news so I was completely unaware of e.g. trimp almost starting a war with iran

I think I'm definitely in a much better place than I was, mentally, so I don't regret it at all, but slowly getting back up to speed with a couple of months of current events is a weird and fairly interesting experience

It's one of those really difficult things for me. Because it's fairly easy to choose to be ignorant - but by choosing to be ignorant, aren't you risking becoming part of the problem.

It's voluntary ignorance that got us where we are, after all.

It's an impulse I can fully understand though. My desire to remain informed is routinely at odds with my desire to remain sane.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, my job contract ends the same time and another month's rent here would cripple me.

If they're not offering rent holidays at the point where you need to leave, and they are quarantining, just... refuse to pay the rent.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Speaking of renter woes, there's going to be serious issues in the next two months of people being unable to pay rent due to their workplaces being shut or they are isolating themselves. Capital doesn't give a gently caress about creating more homeless people at a moment of crisis and this will be no exception even if it's delayed a tiny bit. ACORN has a petition going to try and get some measures in place to protect them and you all should sign it.

http://chng.it/pkwc8vL4h9

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

thespaceinvader posted:

I've sort of been assuming that self isolation can include going out to buy food if it's a choice of that or starving, but I'm also glad that I do have a small stock of stuff in to eat if necessary. Nowhere near enough to last the full two weeks, but it's something.

I'm going to pick up some cans if I can tomorrow, but who knows what the shops will look like.

After all, it's not like forcing an online delivery driver to come into your infested house to deliver your groceries is exactly a better option than going out. You still run a significant risk of passing on the disease to people who have a bit of contact with a LOT of people.

Something you mention there 'full two weeks'. How are the 'staying in police' going to know if you're allowed to be out or not. Will we get a chitty or something and if so on what basis will it be issued? And how will they know who is over 70? Some 70/80 year olds - women especially - can easily pass for much younger because people haven't adjusted their mental images of what old people look like. Will it be suss laws for elders?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

thespaceinvader posted:

It's one of those really difficult things for me. Because it's fairly easy to choose to be ignorant - but by choosing to be ignorant, aren't you risking becoming part of the problem.

It's voluntary ignorance that got us where we are, after all.

It's an impulse I can fully understand though. My desire to remain informed is routinely at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Yeah it's a balance. I consoled myself by saying that I knew where I stood on tories, politics, etc, and that my undying burning hatred for conservatives wasn't going to just disappear if I stopped relentlessly staring at their atrocities for a bit.

But this was poorly timed on my part, and I do feel bad for not taking this poo poo seriously sooner. That was irresponsible of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Something you mention there 'full two weeks'. How are the 'staying in police' going to know if you're allowed to be out or not. Will we get a chitty or something and if so on what basis will it be issued? And how will they know who is over 70? Some 70/80 year olds - women especially - can easily pass for much younger because people haven't adjusted their mental images of what old people look like. Will it be suss laws for elders?

They're not. We're relying on people being sensible and obeying the rules.

Whilst not telling them the rules effectively, or why they should be obeying them, or in some cases not bothering to set them in the first place. ANd still putting on like... loving marathons and poo poo.

Totally Normal Country.