Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
do it boris i'll take back some of the bad things i said about you

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1238917834111156231

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Dmitri-9 posted:

Instead of the country waiting it out for a month in genteel quarantine the Tories are going to reenact Outbreak followed by Children of Men.

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1238880069457764352

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Ah man Boris needed to catch this years ago rather than last week.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Stoatbringer posted:

So if the virus has run its course by December, we'll have a lovely no-deal Brexit to look forward to which will get the economy right back on track and fix all the problems.

It's actually possible it'd come back in the winter, like the flu.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
The people voted for pain

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1238970249254506496?s=21

Buh?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Jose posted:

Including the House Of Lords?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

multijoe posted:

Still can't quite believe Johnson's plan for the Coronavirus literally seem to be to abandon the core of his voter base to die, its Victorian in its brazen contempt for human life but also really, really stupid on its own terns

Have you tried "Kill All the Poor"?

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Jose posted:

https://twitter.com/lynnehaddon/status/1238947631973441540?s=20

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

“We want to infect everyone”

“Oh, so, you mean like so we hit herd immunity numbers?”

“No, we just want everyone infected, I’m not sure what’s so hard to understand about that”

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Jose posted:

[65+]
76% ~ Well
14% ~ Badly

lmao. silver linings

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
That's going to change once they're locked up inside - even if, funnily enough, it's a more valid part of the response.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
I just realized that one possible explanation for this is that boomers are more likely to blame the government for quarantine than they are for letting the disease spread unchecked

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I am almost certain the words 'surplus population' have been said behind closed doors

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
A convenient solution,

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

this is a scheme to get a huge vat of mixed cum

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

corona is not a bioweapon but if you were designing a population crash germ, you would call it a wild success to hit upon one that was incredibly contagious + long incubation period where contagious but not symptomatic + much reduced symptoms among the young/lethality confined mostly to the elderly and weakened + damage to fertility among survivors

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Squizzle posted:

this is a scheme to get a huge vat of mixed cum

They can pry it from my cold, dead stomach

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Squizzle posted:

corona is not a bioweapon but if you were designing a population crash germ, you would call it a wild success to hit upon one that was incredibly contagious + long incubation period where contagious but not symptomatic + much reduced symptoms among the young/lethality confined mostly to the elderly and weakened + damage to fertility among survivors

it's pretty great yeah

seriously though i honestly hope the bojo response works out but it really doesn't look like it. i have zero belief that they're going to be able to quarantine old people enough for the strategy to work, and their planned morality is in the six digits. i fully expect a much higher fatality rate than most other countries, and for this to be mobilised against the NHS. there's going to be a lot of anger, and they're going to try to keep it pointed where they want it - make sure they can't

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Gum posted:

I just realized that one possible explanation for this is that boomers are more likely to blame the government for quarantine than they are for letting the disease spread unchecked

the explanation is the people in charge are idiots who have noidea

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

it's pretty great yeah

seriously though i honestly hope the bojo response works out but it really doesn't look like it. i have zero belief that they're going to be able to quarantine old people enough for the strategy to work, and their planned morality is in the six digits. i fully expect a much higher fatality rate than most other countries, and for this to be mobilised against the NHS. there's going to be a lot of anger, and they're going to try to keep it pointed where they want it - make sure they can't

boris johnsons successful campaign for the 2024 general election: i will wreck horrible vengeance on labour and the poles for killing your nan

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

V. Illych L. posted:

it's pretty great yeah

seriously though i honestly hope the bojo response works out

I think they are screwing this up, and I think this is going to turn out real bad, but I hope I'm wrong

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

multijoe posted:

I am almost certain the words 'surplus population' have been said behind closed doors

They've already been said right out in the open, so yes.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

boris johnsons successful campaign for the 2024 general election: i will wreck horrible vengeance on labour and the poles for killing your nan

this is too on the nose, i think, but expect to see stuff like 'covid-19 shows the limitations of the current NHS model' and 'the EU forced integration with other economies left us vulnerable' and suchlike - effectively use national chauvinism and the misrule of the old consensus on how to do things to say yeah it's bad *but it's the fault of the old regime, both tory and labour* like how they did in the election

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

they're going to run as opposition to themselves again next time around and they will be helped with great vigour by the press

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

quote:

Digger manufacturer JCB said it has been approached by Prime Minister Boris Johnson to see if it could help with the production of ventilators.

The company chairman, Lord Bamford, said it is "unclear as yet" whether it can assist, but its research and engineering teams are "actively looking" at the request.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
JCB is a chud company that loves Brexit and Boris, ofc they're pretending that they can somehow retool a heavy machinery factory into something producing huge numbers of ventilators

if they were going to build t-34s, maybe

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
meanwhile, Germany, Netherlands et. al. are completely shutting down schools, bars, pubs, sports clubs, private gatherings of over 50 people

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Why do they keep saying the UK is 4 weeks behind other countries in terms of infection, when the cases show otherwise? (and now we cant track them because testing has stopped) - Where this this idea that we are a month behind come from?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Ah, so in a few months Boris will quote Churchill around a insubstantial admittance that JCB have produced zero ventilators. However, they have rather conveniently offered to donate lots of deep holes in the ground...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

multijoe posted:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Sneak Lemming posted:

Why do they keep saying the UK is 4 weeks behind other countries in terms of infection, when the cases show otherwise? (and now we cant track them because testing has stopped) - Where this this idea that we are a month behind come from?

think it's the number of deaths, maybe? we're up to 24 now, it's all going to have gone to poo poo by next Sunday at the latest imho

been in and out of hospital all week and based on overheard staff conversations they do not feel prepared

if this all goes massively tits up, it will be loving manslaughter on an industrial scale and I hope heads roll for it in a totally figurative and absolutely non literal sense

XMNN has issued a correction as of 18:50 on Mar 15, 2020

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Good evening to our friends in GCHQ!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
sorry, I knew it was bad when I posted it, its all just a bit terrifying/infuriating

my main hope is that it doesn't go tits up because the only consequences he will actually face is maybe losing an election if enough old people die/aren't too brain poisoned to stop voting for the Tories

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Can cabinet ministers be prosecuted for gross negligence resulting in loss of life?

Snail Information has issued a correction as of 19:21 on Mar 15, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Sneak Lemming posted:

Can the cabinet ministers be prosecuted for gross negligence resulting in loss of life?

prosecuting elected officials for their policy is a, uh, pretty big can of worms to open

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

V. Illych L. posted:

prosecuting elected officials for their policy is a, uh, pretty big can of worms to open

Normally they have to lose a war.

A class war will do though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

namesake posted:

Normally they have to lose a war.

A class war will do though.

in case of a revolution, normal rules are voided, but i don't think that's a likely consequence of this unless they do an even worse job than it's looking atm