Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I suspect something along the lines of this.
https://inhabitat.com/spray-bottle-turns-tap-water-into-99-9-effective-disenfectant/

edit: no idea if it's bullshit tech or not.

Well if it has both positive and negative nano bubbles then it should be okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also if you don’t think the UK is gonna be worse just lol

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1239237647031242752?s=21

Just a reminder Italy started 11 days ago.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Charliegrs posted:

So I'm on the west side of the US and my pregnant sister is planning on flying out here next week from Boston. That's a bad idea right? Like I sure as hell wouldn't be going on a plane right now. I tried to plead with her not to do it, but she's the type that doesn't watch the news and buries her head in the sand so she won't listen.

Do not let her do it, under any circumstances. Do whatever it takes to stop her.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Earwicker posted:

i flew from jfk to lax last night. definitely one of the most tense flights ive ever been on, everybody trying extremely hard to not brush against anybody else in an environment where that is physically impossible. i managed to suppress a sneeze for all 6 hours. good times

feel like i should self quarantine for a bit just for having been at jfk and a bunch of hotels etc in the last few days

I flew around LAX, Newark, and back to Toronto almost a week ago and it was the same kind of feel. A few gloves and people wearing masks for the whole time too.

I think the first few days after you come home you feel relieved when you don't feel anything, and any minor symptom you start getting really suspicious of.

I'm at the 5 days point now where I started freaking out realizing that actually NOW is the time the symptoms might show up, and I could have been asymptomatic while it was incubating in me, but would start presenting itself. All the confirmed cases here started shooting up, and I realized that there's an inherent lag time in those numbers changing. Just because the numbers weren't crazy a few days ago out of where we were flying, doesn't mean there wasn't an outbreak, it just means we couldn't really tell until now, and only now is the phase I'm entering where I get to tell if this very mild cough is just anxiety, or if it's going to turn in to an actual cough and I just brought the virus home :/

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

jfc :(

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

In Canada the most popular drug store had its monthly "seniors discount day" last thursday.
Most seniors do not leave their house except for doctors appointments, and to go to the discount day.

Get ready for those numbers to fuckin spikeeeeeeeeeeeee

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

Do not let her do it, under any circumstances. Do whatever it takes to stop her.

I mean I'm ready to beg her not to but is the situations at the airports really that bad right now? Like are they basically virus breeding grounds at this point? It pisses me off that she's coming here at this time while pregnant, and she's going to be staying with my 70 year old mother that has some health issues already. I'm going to tell her she won't be seeing me, so maybe that will convince her to postpone the trip.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
i'm just really glad we spent the last few years arguing about the really important issues (like pronouns and getting offended over some comedian's twitter comments) rather than distracting ourselves with insignificant fripperies like countering climate change or overpopulation or infinite growth not being possible on a finite planet

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

tbqh in a few days they probably wont let her anyway.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GolfHole posted:

Yeah this.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

friendly 2 da void posted:

I think flying right now is guaranteed exposure. please try to self-quarantine.

yea i might need to make one or two supply excursions but should otherwise be fine to isolate for two weeks. luckily i live right next to some park land that is sparsely populated even under normal conditions so i should be able to get out a bit and not go crazy

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Charliegrs posted:

I mean I'm ready to beg her not to but is the situations at the airports really that bad right now? Like are they basically virus breeding grounds at this point? It pisses me off that she's coming here at this time while pregnant, and she's going to be staying with my 70 year old mother that has some health issues already. I'm going to tell her she won't be seeing me, so maybe that will convince her to postpone the trip.

Yes, they are that bad. Look at the O'Hare and DFW reports from the last 24 hours for examples.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

GolfHole posted:

In Canada the most popular drug store had its monthly "seniors discount day" last thursday.
Most seniors do not leave their house except for doctors appointments, and to go to the discount day.

Get ready for those numbers to fuckin spikeeeeeeeeeeeee

im quoting myself because i want to write a dissertation about this when its over

shoppers drug mart has coronavirus on its hards

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
The US has an advantage in social distancing being the default for a lot of people spending so much of their time in cars, spread out population etc, and somewhat of a disadvantage in being giant selfish retarded babies that won't be told what to do by nobody.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

GolfHole posted:

God I hope so.

It's so infuriating having family members that have no idea what's going on in the world. Like I already have to beg most of them to vote. You know, the thing people in other countries die fighting wars to be able to do.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

from my balcony right now i can see a group of senior citizens standing in a circle and talking to one another

they are saying things like "it'll only effect older people"

we are hosed on account of we are stupid monkey loving idiot brains

notice ants cant get this virus?
ants are perfect

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Just saw the live conference with the NY Mayor Andrew Cuomo where he said that he won't be passing an executive order to close down all schools, gyms, bars, clubs etc. until him and his team learn the true impact of what it entails. He also said that 40% to 60% of New Yorkers will get sick and for everyone to calm down since this isn't Ebola. NY has the highest population density in all of the US while Italy has had+3,590 new cases and +368 deaths today

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Dell_Zincht posted:

Lol are you really planning to just barricade yourself at home until this is over?

are you tryin to catch this highly contagious pandemic?? cuz that's how you get ants death plague

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Coffeeshops are closing down in the Netherlands until April 6 so there are massive lines. The press conference today explicitly said sex clubs were to close as well. Poz my Poz but asymptomatic hole.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Beefeater1980 posted:

How the gently caress do clubs account for 50% of all income in Berlin, that doesn’t seem remotely possible.

It was a joke. Berlin is known to be poor as gently caress and have no significant industry, the clubs however are known worldwide and major attractions, and some are applying for cultural heritage status as they're such a part of the cultural identity here.

Them closing 6 weeks is not something that has happened before and a sign that things are serious.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

piratepilates posted:

I think the first few days after you come home you feel relieved when you don't feel anything, and any minor symptom you start getting really suspicious of.

I'm at the 5 days point now where I started freaking out realizing that actually NOW is the time the symptoms might show up, and I could have been asymptomatic while it was incubating in me, but would start presenting itself. All the confirmed cases here started shooting up, and I realized that there's an inherent lag time in those numbers changing. Just because the numbers weren't crazy a few days ago out of where we were flying, doesn't mean there wasn't an outbreak, it just means we couldn't really tell until now, and only now is the phase I'm entering where I get to tell if this very mild cough is just anxiety, or if it's going to turn in to an actual cough and I just brought the virus home :/

i had just started a tour (supposed to be three weeks) when i left for the east coast a last week, and ive almost never done a tour without getting a sore throat and feeling generally crappy the first few days, its just the normal stress reaction. so i had a nice blend of freaking out over these minor symptoms while also constantly telling myself "shut up you feel like this anytime you travel"

feel much better now that im at home and the only coughing im doing is from weed

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Ireland's just closed down all bars and restaurants from tonight until at least March 29th

It's St Patrick's Day on Tuesday

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

GolfHole posted:

from my balcony right now i can see a group of senior citizens standing in a circle and talking to one another

they are saying things like "it'll only effect older people"

we are hosed on account of we are stupid monkey loving idiot brains

notice ants cant get this virus?
ants are perfect

Yesterday a bowling alley near me went forward with their state tournament they’ve been doing every weekend for the last month, where more than half the people joining the tournament are in the 50+ range. Even if you bring your own equipment bowling alleys are germ breeding grounds.

People don’t care, but especially the older population. Everybody’s become insanely complacent and disconnected from any true pain and misery as seen in war-ravaged countries and, like all things, people only care when it affects them personally and when it’s too late. Diabetes is a great example of the older generation not giving a gently caress about their health as they still treat their bodies like poo poo post-diagnosis.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I’m so worried about my friend who went to Costa Rica even though I begged her not to. Also my parents but that’s more due to their boomer pigheadedness.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Louisgod posted:

Yesterday a bowling alley near me went forward with their state tournament they’ve been doing every weekend for the last month, where more than half the people joining the tournament are in the 50+ range. Even if you bring your own equipment bowling alleys are germ breeding grounds.

People don’t care, but especially the older population. Everybody’s become insanely complacent and disconnected from any true pain and misery as seen in war-ravaged countries and, like all things, people only care when it affects them personally and when it’s too late. Diabetes is a great example of the older generation not giving a gently caress about their health as they still treat their bodies like poo poo post-diagnosis.

Why would I care? Is there something worth struggling to stay on this earth for? I can either fort myself up in my house and panic for the next year, and still probably catch it. Or just loving live my life and roll the dice. The latter is much preferable to me personally.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Spiked a fever, cough, sore throat, chills and aches about an hour ago. gently caress. Someone at my job has been out for a week with it so I’m pretty sure I’ve got it. I feel like crap but I’ve definitely been worse when I had the flu, so I feel pretty lucky.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I'm glad my parents are relatively sensible. My mom just retired and is a homebody anyway, my dad went to the bar on Friday but is concierding taking his 6 week vacation that he has accrued to just ride this out. Im more worried about my sister spreading it to them, she works at a doctors office and they already had one false alarm.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Nurge posted:

Why would I care? Is there something worth struggling to stay on this earth for? I can either fort myself up in my house and panic for the next year, and still probably catch it. Or just loving live my life and roll the dice. The latter is much preferable to me personally.

You're not going to have a choice because thankfully the rest of society is not as nihilistic and selfish as you are. Most of us want to protect our loved ones and not see millions of people die.

Italy, France, Spain, they all said they would never lock down, "it can't happen here". Now they're locked down. Soon America will be too. You can "roll the dice" all you want but the Army might throw your rear end in jail for it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alien Sex Manual posted:

I’m so worried about my friend who went to Costa Rica even though I begged her not to. Also my parents but that’s more due to their boomer pigheadedness.

Costa Rica sounds like a great place to be right now, as long as she doesn't care about getting back home on any particular schedule. Only 26 cases and no deaths, less travelers from China, warm and humid if that ends up being helpful.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

friendly 2 da void posted:

You're not going to have a choice because thankfully the rest of society is not as nihilistic and selfish as you are. Most of us want to protect our loved ones and not see millions of people die.

Italy, France, Spain, they all said they would never lock down. Now they're locked down. Soon America will be too. You can "roll the dice" all you want but the Army might throw your rear end in jail for it.

Those people are already dead. And I'm not in the US thankfully.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Nurge posted:

You should probably care if it shuts down your source of income like a lot of us? Plus not spreading it to other people unknowingly, who do care about things

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Klyith posted:

Costa Rica sounds like a great place to be right now, as long as she doesn't care about getting back home on any particular schedule. Only 26 cases and no deaths, less travelers from China, warm and humid if that ends up being helpful.

"less travelers from China" is meaningless. China's new cases these days are from international travellers.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

You should probably care if it shuts down your source of income like a lot of us? Plus not spreading it to other people unknowingly, who do care about things

It won't, and also it's pretty loving hypocritical of people to scream death to boomers in this thread and then get huffy when I say I don't give a gently caress whether I get it or not.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Nurge posted:

It won't, and also it's pretty loving hypocritical of people to scream death to boomers in this thread and then get huffy when I say I don't give a gently caress whether I get it or not.

i don't think those are the same people man

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Louisgod posted:

Or they're sort of ambivalent about dying from covid in particular. I think a lot of people are more afraid of slowly declining in a nursing home, suffering a debilitating stroke or getting dementia than they are of infectious diseases.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Nurge posted:

making jokes vs the attitude that gently caress it i'm going to get it so why bother aren't the same thing...

i mean, you do you..but i'm with everyone that once a place locks down for the good of the community you're a massive twat if you still go out

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

making jokes vs the attitude that gently caress it i'm going to get it so why bother aren't the same thing...

i mean, you do you..but i'm with everyone that once a place locks down for the good of the community you're a massive twat if you still go out

If you say so. I gotta hustle so I can get to the mall to lick some handrails before it closes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/wealth_theory/status/1239247348468985856?s=21

Pretty much this.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cacator posted:

"less travelers from China" is meaningless. China's new cases these days are from international travellers.

oh sure, I meant like weeks ago when the US & EU were seeded with undetected cases that have now become non-china-related community spreading

seems to have disappeared immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Nurge posted:

If you say so. I gotta hustle so I can get to the mall to lick some handrails before it closes.
:hfive:
if at any point going forward you start complaining about not feeling good to this thread the amount of irony will implode the internet as we know it