Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
is there really a need for that exact model of capture card, I wonder? it'd be fun to play with but it's $300 on ebay.

Obviously their capture tooling probably won't work out of the box but basically the meaningful feature is being able to extract the color bars. Wonder how well it'd work with an elgato card with the bitrate cranked way up. Wouldn't be raw frames so it might be harder to pick out runt frames vs dropped frames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Paul MaudDib posted:

is there really a need for that exact model of capture card, I wonder? it'd be fun to play with but it's $300 on ebay.

Obviously their capture tooling probably won't work out of the box but basically the meaningful feature is being able to extract the color bars. Wonder how well it'd work with an elgato card with the bitrate cranked way up. Wouldn't be raw frames so it might be harder to pick out runt frames vs dropped frames.

Most capture devices typically don't encode the data into a compressed format. The devices that do are becoming more common, but they're still the minority.

An Elgato raw capture device would probably work fine. But as they're all HDMI and on the budget side of things, you might be more restricted with frame rate and resolution support than some of the more pricey devices aimed at the broadcast or signage markets, which is where Datapath are focused.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EoRaptor posted:

I don’t think FCAT was the first tool. I remember the first reporting I read on it was a tech website that had purchased a capture card capable of real-time DVI capture and noticed the raw data out had very strange properties with seemingly duplicated frames. They did a big investigation into it, and discovered the issue with minimal frame times vs maximum frame times, etc. Nvidia was better than AMD in their testing, but not by as much as in later tests. Nvidia did, however, respond much more directly, producing updates drivers and testing tools very quickly after publication, where AMD did nothing for a long time.

I think the it was tech reports ‘inside the second’ article from 2011, but I can’t check for sure on mobile.

Correct. Scott Wasson, formerly of Tech Report, now working for AMD.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Correct. Scott Wasson, formerly of Tech Report, now working for AMD.

don't look up TechReport now, it got bought by SEO people and the result is not pretty

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah. They experienced some serious loving brain-drain with all of the old staff going off to do different things during 2016, All the old articles are still there, so those are still fine, but regard anything 2017 and later with some suspicion.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
gently caress that sucks, it was my favorite hardware site for a long time. I like GN but sometimes they ramble on and on in their video stuff.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

The Gunslinger posted:

gently caress that sucks, it was my favorite hardware site for a long time. I like GN but sometimes they ramble on and on in their video stuff.

Every GN video is to be played at 2x speed. No exceptions. Ain't got time for that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And Level 1 at 1.5x, otherwise Wendell gets a little marblemouthed at 2x.

edit: Oh, and Buildzoid definitely at 2x. His videos are good and informative, and they're worth listening through all of them, but he does get sidetracked with informative stuff.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 13, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

All videos at 2x, no exceptions.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Only read the synopsis or text version (GN eg.) of videos :corsair:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Does anyone know what happened to that Realtek DP to HDMI 2.1 adapter? It seemed like the perfect transitional technology for people using OLED Gsync to get above 60fps, but I haven't heard poo poo about it since late last year. I'm starting to think there are serious problems with the tech and it won't see the light of day.

DieLaughing
Jun 27, 2005

We're in a shooting war. We need something to shoot with.
I've got a Gigabyte Geforce 2070 super windforce that has one of the fans ramping up and down about once a second. Googling the issue, I found other people in the same boat that recommended setting a custom fan profile so that the GPU fans start at minimum 40% to stop the cutting off all the time. Problem is, they all gloss over what they're using to set custom fan profiles. I can't seem to control them in my BIOS or with the Nvidia settings. Am I missing something obvious or is there a third party program I should be looking for?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
There are several programs that can do that but I prefer MSI afterburner.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

MSU Afterburner, even if you don't have an MSI card.

DieLaughing
Jun 27, 2005

We're in a shooting war. We need something to shoot with.
Thank you both.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
There's also EVGA PrecisionX1, which I prefer for its more streamlined interface (make sure to get X1, regular PrecisionX is basically Afterburner with another skin)

https://www.evga.com/precisionx1/

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, you can set the minimum at 30% with those cards, not 40% (anything lower than 30% doesn't run the fan). This is my fan curve (the lower number is a 30):

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

ItBreathes posted:

MSU Afterburner, even if you don't have an MSI card.

Fan control doesn't work with some cards, though. I have to use GPU Tweak for my Asus 1070 because Afterburner can't control the fans so they just don't ever turn on when I use it.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Regrettable posted:

Fan control doesn't work with some cards, though. I have to use GPU Tweak for my Asus 1070 because Afterburner can't control the fans so they just don't ever turn on when I use it.

Strange because I’ve used afterburner to control an Asus 970 and 2080 Ti before.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cards based on the reference PCB usually work with any tool, it's when you get to the higher end custom boards that compatibility can get iffy.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

B-Mac posted:

Strange because I’ve used afterburner to control an Asus 970 and 2080 Ti before.

Yeah, I don't know if it's just a quirk with that specific card or what but even if I just max the fan slider and apply it they don't turn on.

repiv posted:

Cards based on the reference PCB usually work with any tool, it's when you get to the higher end custom boards that compatibility can get iffy.

That is probably the issue then. It's an Asus Dual 1070 which has a custom PCB.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce/status/1238496311776653312

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Just ate another black screen just putzing around in Firefox on a Radeon 5700 on drivers 20.2.2 Turned off hardware acceleration again. :thumbsup:

We're not quite there yet folks.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm the link to "pcmasterrace" in the official Nvidia tweet :rolleyes:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Reddit poo poo aside, is folding at home actually worthwhile? My PC is idle the majority of the time so if my overpriced hardware can do some good it seems silly not to.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Party Boat posted:

Reddit poo poo aside, is folding at home actually worthwhile? My PC is idle the majority of the time so if my overpriced hardware can do some good it seems silly not to.

The issue is more about the energy consumed by this kind of hardware running full tilt.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Does caning that poo poo over long periods of time decrease the overall lifespan of the hardware?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Cactus posted:

Does caning that poo poo over long periods of time decrease the overall lifespan of the hardware?

Yes it does, but the difference is it might only last 9 years instead of 10.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

More if all you have is a crappy blower GPU and poor case ventilation.
I think around and above 80c is where you start finding large lifetime decreases.

and re: the energy conumption, At least it isnt mining crypto.
People do tend to underestimate just how much power a computer uses, data centers are now up to 1% of all electricity usage.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 15, 2020

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Fabulousity posted:

Just ate another black screen just putzing around in Firefox on a Radeon 5700 on drivers 20.2.2 Turned off hardware acceleration again. :thumbsup:

We're not quite there yet folks.

There was a windows update, kb4540673, it seems to be given people a lot of issues. Was reading some folks who had no issues with 20.2.2 until they got that update, might be worth looking and see if you have it and if uninstalling it helps.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

The issue is more about the energy consumed by this kind of hardware running full tilt.

I was able to undervolt the poo poo out of 5700xt and it's consuming only 70w. Seems like an efficient use of power to do something good?

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork

B-Mac posted:

There was a windows update, kb4540673, it seems to be given people a lot of issues. Was reading some folks who had no issues with 20.2.2 until they got that update, might be worth looking and see if you have it and if uninstalling it helps.

And poo poo like this is why I don’t run an HTPC anymore. Granted, it has an nvidia GPU, but yeah, constant W10 updates + things barely working = poo poo breaking all the time.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Does anyone know what's up with nVidia's announcement for March 19th? Their official Australia/New Zealand account had a tweet hyping up something vague, but that tweet is gone now.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Maxwell Adams posted:

Does anyone know what's up with nVidia's announcement for March 19th? Their official Australia/New Zealand account had a tweet hyping up something vague, but that tweet is gone now.

They were originally going to announce something at GDC (or is it GTC?), they backed it down to a live stream, then a while ago put out a teaser thing. Kind of looks like foveated rendering plus eye tracking.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The GTC live stream was cancelled too. Now gonna just be press releases sent out over the day on March 24th.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Cygni posted:

The GTC live stream was cancelled too. Now gonna just be press releases sent out over the day on March 24th.
Sort of, there's also an investor call afterwards, but that's obviously not for the consumption of your average consumer. Still worth following.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The RTX 2070 in my SFF computer just died so whatever will be too late :suicide:

Good thing I didn't sell my GTX 1050 Ti yet.

orcane fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 15, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Lube banjo posted:

I was able to undervolt the poo poo out of 5700xt and it's consuming only 70w. Seems like an efficient use of power to do something good?

That is one attractive app. I wish other OEMs would stop this tacky pseudo-futuristic art style.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I will never understand why nvidia doesn't just put clock/voltage controls in their control panel

The driver literally has an API to safely tweak those values, but no interface for it so you have to use a third party tool

And the SDK is behind an NDA wall so we have to use the winamp-skin messes their partners put out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Cactus posted:

I'm the link to "pcmasterrace" in the official Nvidia tweet :rolleyes:
Yeah, they should have linked us!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871439

Party Boat posted:

I'm working on the "boomer remover virus" right now with Folding@home and Rossetta@home on BOINC I figure it'll cost me like $15-20 a month, not counting if the Central has to cool my house a little more.