Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

sweet thursday posted:

I'm fast finding out that in the event of a national emergency in Canada, my loved ones will be more likely to behave like extra children who need to be coddled and protected than any type of adult I could rely on. So that's fun.

I'm just glad that my elderly parents seem to be far more reasonable than most of the others. They are perfectly calm and happy to stay at home for a few weeks, even months if necessary. They aren't worried, but are very aware that they are in the most vulnerable bracket. It also helps that I had set them up with loads of streaming entertainment and other stuff a few months ago. Even if the internet goes out, I set up a little file server for them with a decent selection of tv series and movies. So they should be fine. I just may have to occasionally drop off some supplies depending on how long this goes on for, but otherwise they'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

rear end cobra posted:

Italian kissing and hugging culture probably helped spread this thing too?
Yes that was mentioned as a factor for the virus spreading in Northern Italy

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

rear end cobra posted:

Italian kissing and hugging culture probably helped spread this thing too?

Same, but for those sexy French

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Bape Culture posted:

I looked up how many deaths Italy has for flu per year and found this:

“ In January this year, Italy reported that since flu season started in October 2019, over 2 million cases of flu were recorded, resulting in 240 deaths.”

More people than that died TODAY. A good statistic for the usual arseholes to be informed of.

I would love to know why a lot of conservatives seem desperate to say it’s a non issue and the fault of the media. I don’t understand why the correlation is so high. Just had my 60 year old Tory in laws round and they were convinced it was not bad at all.
Goddammit I have to share it if this is true. Do you still have your sources available? This is great info to shove in some idiot prairie nurse faces.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes that was mentioned as a factor for the virus spreading in Northern Italy

Finns to not have to change anything in preparation for Coronavirus.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

sweet thursday posted:

Goddammit I have to share it if this is true. Do you still have your sources available? This is great info to shove in some idiot prairie nurse faces.

I got it from here:

https://www.thelocal.it/20200123/flu-outbreak-in-italy-half-a-million-people-struck-down-in-a-week

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Anne Whateley posted:

Yes, MRAs and white supremacists are insanely jerking off to this concept. They believe the weak will all die, they'll rule the world, and there will be a lot fewer jobs that will go to men, so women will be forced to stay at home to be sex slaves and raise kids.

Probably not a great side to be on.

Well that is one approach. The other approach is noticing how many hyper conservative Boomers and their favored politicians are calling this a hoax and encouraging people to go out and do whatever.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Grape posted:

Finns to not have to change anything in preparation for Coronavirus.

This photo has nothing it do with the roni, it was taken years ago. It's just how Finns are normally.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

Comorbidity is going to be killer.

According to a interview with a Dutch Intensive Care doctor obedity is one of the deciding factors for ending up on the IC, so yeah...

Also, apparently more then half of Dutch corona patients on IC are under 50...

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Dramicus posted:

This photo has nothing it do with the roni, it was taken years ago. It's just how Finns are normally.

is there any part of the world more culturally polarized than northern vs southern europe? its wild man

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

This picture is haunting me.

Why THE gently caress does this say "New options for consumers".

Consumers.

WHAT THE gently caress AMERICA

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Dramicus posted:

I'm just glad that my elderly parents seem to be far more reasonable than most of the others. They are perfectly calm and happy to stay at home for a few weeks, even months if necessary. They aren't worried, but are very aware that they are in the most vulnerable bracket. It also helps that I had set them up with loads of streaming entertainment and other stuff a few months ago. Even if the internet goes out, I set up a little file server for them with a decent selection of tv series and movies. So they should be fine. I just may have to occasionally drop off some supplies depending on how long this goes on for, but otherwise they'll be fine.

Same. My father, who is 80, has said he will follow the UK government advice for over 70's to self-isolate for four months. Stopped his engagements and said he will sit at home and read / build models and do his grocery shopping online. He's also on the managing committee's of several model railway related clubs which all agreed to suspend meetings for the same period.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

Bronze Fonz posted:

Consumers.

not anything new. once upon a time back in ye olde 2002 i worked for GE Consumer Finance

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Needs more cowbell

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

schmuckfeatures posted:

not anything new. once upon a time back in ye olde 2002 i worked for GE Consumer Finance

I mean I've heard mentions of this thing called capitalism but... yeah.
We're hosed and it's not because of the virus.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Poverty bros

Here’s the breakdown across the Bay Area:

San Francisco: Median household income $96,265, middle-class income range $64,177 to $192,530.
Oakland: Median household income $63,251, middle-class income range $42,167 to $126,502.
San Jose: Median household income $96,662, middle-class income range $64,441 to $193,324.
Fremont: Median household income $122,191, middle-class income range $81,461 to $244,382.

So you agree $100k is nowhere near the poverty line even in the Bay Area?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Comrade virus has joined the battle against capitalism, you say?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

So you agree $100k is nowhere neat the poverty line even in the Bay Area?

Who gives a poo poo lol jesus christ the world is coughing up lung mucus, feller

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
What's death count gotta be at before people stop saying "its just a flu, people overreact about every loving thing"? Those reactions remind me of when people say to not evacuate during a hurricane.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Bronze Fonz posted:

I mean I've heard mentions of this thing called capitalism but... yeah.
We're hosed and it's not because of the virus.

Dear fellow consumer, you appear to be stressed: Why don't you take the edge off with an ice-cold Coors™ Light™®©, purchase today and receive a 1% discount towards your next purchase!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Blaise330 posted:

What's death count gotta be at before people stop saying "its just a flu, people overreact about every loving thing"? Those reactions remind me of when people say to not evacuate during a hurricane.

Someone in their family will have to die, and then it's still a maybe

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bronze Fonz posted:

This picture is haunting me.

Why THE gently caress does this say "New options for consumers".

Consumers.

everybody in the trump administration are business fuckers, this is not unusual for them

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Dramicus posted:

Dear fellow consumer, you appear to be stressed: Why don't you take the edge off with an ice-cold Coors™ Light™®©, purchase today and receive a 1% discount towards your next purchase!

I want to speak to your manager. Immediately.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Bronze Fonz posted:

I want to speak to your manager. Immediately.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Due to the ongoing Novel Coronavirus(NCoV-19) situation, management is currently unavailable as per company quarantine policy. Please wait 6-12 months and try again.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
The news is saying that this new hr6201 bill that's gonna be passed is supposed to help out some pretty specific cases where companies have less than 500 employees, which sucks for many of us. But I can't find the specific language in the bill stating this. Has anyone else been able to find it?

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

This is unacceptable, I PAID to access this here forum.
You will hear from my lawyer as soon as he gets out of quarantine!!

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Bleusilences posted:

The cat is finally out of the bag; the USA is a third world country.

doesnt italy have socialized medicine :smugdog:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Nurge posted:

Why would I care? Is there something worth struggling to stay on this earth for? I can either fort myself up in my house and panic for the next year, and still probably catch it. Or just loving live my life and roll the dice. The latter is much preferable to me personally.

uh okay?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

My parent's just installed 3 deluxe bidets, looking forward to my next visit. Drying feature and warm water? Hell yes.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

are there leaderboards somewhere of who has infected the most people? my friends are still going out to eat at restaurants lol.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

On your last point while that may be true their Dr to patient ratio is higher than ours as is their bed to patient ratio soooooo

Yah but we have way more ICU beds, almost 3x as many as Italy

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2020/03/12/the-countries-with-the-most-critical-care-beds-per-capita-infographic/#7e8248387f86

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I've got sick from going out to a restaurant last week but it wasn't even corvid99. Just your regular old food poisoning

cat_snake
Nov 19, 2014

sweet thursday posted:

I'm fast finding out that in the event of a national emergency in Canada, my loved ones will be more likely to behave like extra children who need to be coddled and protected than any type of adult I could rely on. So that's fun.

My mom's an entitled one-percenter wannabe, who has a temper tantrum when anyone asks (not even tells) her to do something. So her response to limiting outside activity is "no, I just can't stay in the house. I want to go Target and Home Goods and walk around." She doesn't even need to buy anything...Now she's giving me the silent treatment because I'm not paying for my niece's dance lessons (which I've done in the past) that starts tomorrow because I said she should probably skip this session. But that's fine, I made an unfavorable comment about Trump the last time and got "He's as sharp as a tack!" Then my aunt the other day said, "look Trump made the stock market go up 1500."

I'm glad I live in a different state...

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I want to slap the next person that says "You can't stop living your life"

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

bomb posted:

My parent's just installed 3 deluxe bidets, looking forward to my next visit. Drying feature and warm water? Hell yes.

My hope is that this TP scare will make Japanese toilets standard in North America. Everyone needs to experience a warm, gently lit toilet that plays a cheery tune as you sit down and has a fully-automatic clean up at the end. It's the only way to live.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

cat_snake posted:

My mom's an entitled one-percenter wannabe, who has a temper tantrum when anyone asks (not even tells) her to do something. So her response to limiting outside activity is "no, I just can't stay in the house. I want to go Target and Home Goods and walk around." She doesn't even need to buy anything...Now she's giving me the silent treatment because I'm not paying for my niece's dance lessons (which I've done in the past) that starts tomorrow because I said she should probably skip this session. But that's fine, I made an unfavorable comment about Trump the last time and got "He's as sharp as a tack!" Then my aunt the other day said, "look Trump made the stock market go up 1500."

I'm glad I live in a different state...

On the bright side your mom might not have enough lung capacity to kick up a fuss when she gets to the hospital and all the ICU beds are already full.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Blaise330 posted:

I have two nurses in my family that are saying this which is just madning to me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blaise330 posted:

It'll probably require a beloved celebrity death for people to really start taking it seriously. Remember that many many people who were writing it off as "just another flu" suddenly started paying attention when they heard that Tom Hanks had caught it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

gently caress, the UK doesn't stand a chance.