Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

S.J. posted:

Yeah, they did that in AoS with combat, but at this point 40k would have to be seriously restructured for that. I think it really needs it though, that game is toxic as hell.

40k sucks right now. Its the test bed so AoS doesn't fall apart. It is now the step child. They more or less restructured in 8th just go the full mile an make 9th alt activations. Make choices matter, maybe even let charactets join units again to limit aura spreading an let them not fall behind other units. Let melee not suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
A Firebrand can take two shields and a shoulder gun. I take it back, this game is different than Riot Quest.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

My current win loss in monpoc has now roughly hit 0-12. Coincidentally, my rate of going first is 1-11. Dice games are hard when you roll really bad dice on first contact while your opponent doesn't.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

S.J. posted:

Yeah it's going to be very situational, especially in larger games. The Marcher's Weaver might have the grossest ability in the basic game though, being able to shove 3 ARC onto something can make for some explosive swings

I guess what gets my goat in this particular instance is that a lot of the charge abilities seem to revolve around increasing offensive potential, but this one asks you to assign an offensive resource (and maintain that resource) to turn on a defensive ability. To boot, the Hunter has a spike ability too which means you have to double-charge if you want to both use your spike as well as keep your defensive turned on.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I wish they would hurry up and post some painted up Continuum models.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Pyrolocutus posted:

I guess what gets my goat in this particular instance is that a lot of the charge abilities seem to revolve around increasing offensive potential, but this one asks you to assign an offensive resource (and maintain that resource) to turn on a defensive ability. To boot, the Hunter has a spike ability too which means you have to double-charge if you want to both use your spike as well as keep your defensive turned on.

I believe they said that only warjacks can have more than one arc on them at a time, so it's going to be interesting to see how it all works. Seems like the extra red die is too valuable to give up for a lot of the spike effects, but hard to tell without playing it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Yeah Warjacks can have up to three and everything else can have one, at least according to the Staff Showdown.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

MCPeePants posted:

I believe they said that only warjacks can have more than one arc on them at a time, so it's going to be interesting to see how it all works. Seems like the extra red die is too valuable to give up for a lot of the spike effects, but hard to tell without playing it.

Yikes. This is all from strictly eyeballing the rules but I'm not sure 4 def alone will save Hunters from getting their asses shot in view of their 2 arm and 1 wound. I think keeping Stealth active will be pretty mandatory in practice.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Pyrolocutus posted:

Yikes. This is all from strictly eyeballing the rules but I'm not sure 4 def alone will save Hunters from getting their asses shot in view of their 2 arm and 1 wound. I think keeping Stealth active will be pretty mandatory in practice.

RNG 15 and Fire & Displace to keep out of retaliation range and LOS seems pretty crucial, but it's certainly a fragile piece. It also has 2 more RAT than anything else previewed, with a pretty powerful offensive spike. Marchers look interesting - everything has long range except the Weaver, who's the toughest caster AND has a slam staff. Pretty good at mixing it up up close.

Sure seems like there's never any reason to take the Dusk Wolf's Ripper eh? It seems like there is no concept of engagement in this game, so aside from the very niche utility of it being a different damage type and system failure, the Battle Rifle is just way more useful.

edit: backed for $100, I figure the starter, free solo, and a second warjack gives me quite a bit to play around with, will be interested to see what else comes of the campaign!

MCPeePants fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 6, 2020

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Captainicus posted:

My current win loss in monpoc has now roughly hit 0-12. Coincidentally, my rate of going first is 1-11. Dice games are hard when you roll really bad dice on first contact while your opponent doesn't.

Before my meta vanished we used a rule that's technically a house rule but the main designer of monpoc says that they might implement it for real one of these days.

If you win the die roll you get to choose if you go first or second. Whoever goes first only gets the regular movement and attack of one of their two monsters on their first monster turn. The other monster can still step and use actions, though.

It actually seemed to balance things pretty well.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Speaking on MonPoc we just had a tournament in Calgary and had 10 people show up and it was a blast! I went 2-2 with my second loss being very close.

Such a fun game to play and best part is I don’t even have the usual brain fog that a Warmachine tourney does.

Has anyone tried Warcaster yet? How was it?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Oh hey, they've added the other units to the gameplay section of the website.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh hey, they've added the other units to the gameplay section of the website.

Hm, so the other units really are just a "heavy weapon" version of the base squads, that's a little more boring than I'd hoped. Better at ranged fire support, less dangerous up close, slower. Without having actually played a game it's pretty silly to speculate, but my expectation has been that units will be more important for scoring, while jacks do the heavy lifting offensively and solos fill activations. I guess something has to sit on back field objectives!

The heroes worry me a little bit. They have the same deployment cost of 1 as we've seen on all solos so far, but they don't get to respawn. The balancing factor then is that they are super overpowered. They're not straight upgrades of other pieces, and they do all have some pretty serious weaknesses, but their power level is way above the other stuff. I don't like that it makes them mandatory, though I guess it will feel better once the roster is larger. I guess I can think of them as your feat? Powerful pieces that you have to pick the right time to deliver.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
That Marcher heavy jack looks like it could be a devistating a artillery piece.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm assuming they're real powerful precisely because they permadie so you need to use them well or you've wasted a turn of summoning points

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Could probably port over Retribution and Convergence minis without modification.

Also: Needs aliens.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Failson posted:

Also: Needs aliens.

:yeah:

Hopefully one or more future factions fill that niche. Or at least give me some space Everblight

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Adepticon has been cancelled, and with it my beloved ATC. :(

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

rydiafan posted:

Adepticon has been cancelled, and with it my beloved ATC. :(

I'm really sorry man :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I haven't seen anything yet about Lock'n'Load but since it takes place in Bellevue, WA it is probably safe to assume it is going to be canceled? I was looking forward to attending that, but would be completely okay if it was canceled.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I haven't seen anything yet about Lock'n'Load but since it takes place in Bellevue, WA it is probably safe to assume it is going to be canceled? I was looking forward to attending that, but would be completely okay if it was canceled.

I wouldn't be surprised, but I think it's probably too far out to say for certain.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Oregon just shut down basically everything. Schools are closed until April 1 as of tonight and all gatherings over 250 people are restricted.

I have the feeling Washington isn’t too far behind, plus Trump is talking about restricting interstate travel to the west coast.

If the isolation helps mitigate the spread of the virus over the next month, July is probably going to be okay, but this stuff is going so sideways so fast, it wouldn’t surprise me if states erred on the side of caution and waited until August/September before lifting whatever final restrictions they had to put in place.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Anyone here still playing monpoc 1.0? I really prefer the old style because I paint like you think an engineer would paint and like that once I have a fig or building I'm done and it's in the pile of useable game pieces. I bought some cool tritons to spice up the starter set I have and have some cthulu dudes in my cart but any ideas on what buildings to grab?

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Tried out Warcaster, 8 units on a 4' board, didn't like it very much. Lots of really interesting, novel systems, but it didn't feel very good to play. Victories and board control are extremely temporary, so it didn't seem like it much mattered. There was also some weird internal balance stuff, some that just felt like stat tweaks would fix it and some that felt more foundational. Squads sure seem to suck, since they have lower base stats, are vulnerable to aoe attacks, and lose effectiveness as they take damage. They are required to score in two out of three of the scenarios, so I guess the design is that they are bad and mandatory? Again, feels bad.

It's a shame, I really wanted to like it. Just not sure what experience it is trying to give me.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I'd rather not go back to a mk2 infantry supremacy scenario.

Units kind of seem like they should die to aoes. What the aoe is meant to do an how I read it everything goes back to reserves outside of characters.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Which scenario was it?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

So the arrival of Ashlynn2 made me pay attention to Warmachine again and, uh, poo poo got really real there. :stare: Any indication as to where they are going with everything? Trying to read up on fluff recaps it seems like they've killed a number of characters, including some pretty big names in the game/lore and they're basically throwing everything in to the mix. I thought the Infernals were basically just a new faction but it seems like they're just straight-up having everyone abandon Immoren wholesale for a gate to... somewhere? It seems like they'd be headed for a fairly substantial game reboot, especially if all the dead are staying dead.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The Henge Hold Scroll is where all the fiction has been post-Oblivion but it's the interpretations of the scrolls by the Hermit of Henge Hold who is not an entirely reliable narrator and might just straight up be wrong about what he sees. That said, yeah it's been a bloodbath with tons of characters killed in addition to the tens of thousands of civilians. The fiction there is definitely leading to the events that will eventually be Warcaster's early history but it's unclear what the main game will look like going forward, which it will, and how much of this fiction will stick. Some of the stories have been really interesting though, so it's worth reading though might be a real pain in the rear end to go back through.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Ashcans posted:

So the arrival of Ashlynn2 made me pay attention to Warmachine again and, uh, poo poo got really real there. :stare: Any indication as to where they are going with everything? Trying to read up on fluff recaps it seems like they've killed a number of characters, including some pretty big names in the game/lore and they're basically throwing everything in to the mix. I thought the Infernals were basically just a new faction but it seems like they're just straight-up having everyone abandon Immoren wholesale for a gate to... somewhere? It seems like they'd be headed for a fairly substantial game reboot, especially if all the dead are staying dead.

Where are you finding these fluff recaps? I'm mildly curious.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Where are you finding these fluff recaps? I'm mildly curious.

Same. I've been checked out of this game for a while. I did not even know there was a Ashlynn 2 and she is my favorite warcaster in the game, outside of my boy Magnus and his pack of angry robots.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

They've been doing fiction updates via the Hermit of Henge Hold twitter account for a little while now.

https://twitter.com/HengeholdScroll

They've been posting the consolidated info on the website as well.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Are the Orgoth involved at all?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

The one thing I'm curious about is, Warcaster is supposed to be a true sequel to WMH, right? Not a "possible" future like Riot Quest? If so it kinda feels weird how fast things are moving, almost like we're going to hit a point of no return as far as the WMH storyline goes, unless it's some kind of fighting retreat into the Skorne wastes/Zu/across the sea to where the Orgoth came from.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Pyrolocutus posted:

The one thing I'm curious about is, Warcaster is supposed to be a true sequel to WMH, right? Not a "possible" future like Riot Quest? If so it kinda feels weird how fast things are moving, almost like we're going to hit a point of no return as far as the WMH storyline goes, unless it's some kind of fighting retreat into the Skorne wastes/Zu/across the sea to where the Orgoth came from.

Not everyone is leaving through the gate, only a certain number of refugees. Its not clear any named characters are going to now that Nemo came back through.

We have definitely hit the point of no return to the status quo of the setting however, and I am desperately hoping they use this opportunity to cut out a poo poo ton of stuff and maybe do a soft reset of the setting.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Crazy Ferret posted:

Same. I've been checked out of this game for a while. I did not even know there was a Ashlynn 2 and she is my favorite warcaster in the game, outside of my boy Magnus and his pack of angry robots.

As mentioned above, a bunch of it is through the twitter handle - which I have to say, is pretty much the worst and most obnoxious way to try to read this stuff. I recognize that I am a huge grumpy luddite and this might be cool and fine for regular people.

They also summarize stuff through the news section of the website: https://home.privateerpress.com/news/ - they have different articles for the Hengehold and also for prior events/occasions like Stormbreak you can read up on to see what's happened.

Here is the render/image for Ashlynn2 around, Warcaster Unit with a couple of helpers:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Considering it is both 5 milennias later and in another galaxy, WNM has only the tiniest connection to WMH.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

There's a tenuous story link for the sake of easter eggs and such, but it's more of a mechanical sequel than a storyline sequel.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

PleasantDirge posted:

Anyone here still playing monpoc 1.0? I really prefer the old style because I paint like you think an engineer would paint and like that once I have a fig or building I'm done and it's in the pile of useable game pieces. I bought some cool tritons to spice up the starter set I have and have some cthulu dudes in my cart but any ideas on what buildings to grab?

From what I can recall, you want Power Plants, a Radar Array, and your factions unique building. I'm not sure the 2.0 factions got their buildings though? I want to say the rest you can fill out with whatever is cheapest.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

rydiafan posted:

Before my meta vanished we used a rule that's technically a house rule but the main designer of monpoc says that they might implement it for real one of these days.

If you win the die roll you get to choose if you go first or second. Whoever goes first only gets the regular movement and attack of one of their two monsters on their first monster turn. The other monster can still step and use actions, though.

It actually seemed to balance things pretty well.

Thanks for this rules recommendation, had some time to try and the games seemed a bit fairer with the first player being more limited in monster position. Less of an overwhelming wave from the first player having a big front line keeping you pinned in spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Is new monpoc the same scale as the old one? I've got a bunch of stuff, and the buildings especially would be nice to use.