Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Diving beetles are strong flyers, are attracted to lights and many species winter on land.

Go sweep that pond with a net and you might find some the diving beetle larvae, they're huge and voraciuos predators that sometimes even catch tadpoles and small fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Looks like cicada brood IX will be in the state east of mine this year, but not here. :(

But they'll be all over the East in 2021! :D

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The Red Queen posted:

Looks like cicada brood IX will be in the state east of mine this year, but not here. :(

But they'll be all over the East in 2021! :D

Experiencing a brood emergence two springs ago up here was awesome, don't miss it. And don't forget to look for all the cicada-specific critters :D

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Which brood is coming up in 2021?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Brood X, which sounds like a cheesy horror movie. They're due in 2021 and then again in 2038. I still get a kick out of how they only come around on prime numbers.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I miss those orange screaming bastards, I need to see when we have them again

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

the yeti posted:

Experiencing a brood emergence two springs ago up here was awesome, don't miss it. And don't forget to look for all the cicada-specific critters :D

I know about he alarmingly huge wasps, any others I should keep an eye out for?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The Red Queen posted:

Velvet ants parasatize the burrows of the alarmingly huge wasps, and Massospora sp. fungi make cicadas butts turn into a spore pom pom

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Gross and fascinating - reminds me of the fungus that eats daddy longlegs. I'll keep an eye out for the velvet ants as much for the sake of my feet as them being powerful cuties!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

There was an obnoxiously loud/piercing one going full blast last night here in NC but I couldn't spot him. Definitely not our normal annual ones anyway.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The Red Queen posted:

Cicada hawk wasps are the coolest thing. At first it’s real freaky to see a 3 inch wasp, then you realize that they’re absurdly chilled out.

Unless you’re a cicada.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Dewgy posted:

Cicada hawk wasps are the coolest thing. At first it’s real freaky to see a 3 inch wasp, then you realize that they’re absurdly chilled out.

Unless you’re a cicada.

The males are pretty doofy in a similar way to male carpenter bees but yeah it’s real hard to actually get stung by one

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's some kind of weird law of nature that stinging insects get less annoying in direct proportion to how big they are. I've never even heard of someone actually getting stung by a hornet and bumblebees are practically flying teddy bears, too.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I've been stung by a hornet before! But not a cicada killer.

Edit: It was one of those bald faced dudes and it SUCKED.

Edit Edit: Apparently they're not really hornets? :psyduck:

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 14, 2020

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cardiovorax posted:

It's some kind of weird law of nature that stinging insects get less annoying in direct proportion to how big they are. I've never even heard of someone actually getting stung by a hornet and bumblebees are practically flying teddy bears, too.

I've been stung by bumble bees more times* than all other stinging insects combined!

* 4 times in my 33 year life

my cat is norris posted:

I've been stung by a hornet before! But not a cicada killer.

Edit: It was one of those bald faced dudes and it SUCKED.

:eng101: Baldfaced hornets are actually a species of yellowjacket and not true hornets at all.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tell me where you live, I also want to move to where you can go thirty years and get stung by mosquitoes less than four times. :v:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Mak0rz posted:

I've been stung by bumble bees more times* than all other stinging insects combined!

* 4 times in my 33 year life

:eng101: Baldfaced hornets are actually a species of yellowjacket and not true hornets at all.

I JUST EDITED MY POST AS I LEARNED THIS sometimes your mind just gets blown once in awhile.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cardiovorax posted:

Tell me where you live, I also want to move to where you can go thirty years and get stung by mosquitoes less than four times. :v:

:ssh: mosquitoes don't sting

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tell that to my poor itching feet. Maybe it'll help, lol.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

:ssh: mosquitoes don't sting

Along these lines, anyone else seethe whenever they hear someone talk about getting "bit" by a bee or other stinging insect?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Along these lines, anyone else seethe whenever they hear someone talk about getting "bit" by a bee or other stinging insect?

Yes.

But at least those insects can and do bite, even if that's not their primary mode of attack or what the victims usually mean when they say it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I was actually bitten by a bumblebee when I was a little kid - as in, properly bitten, with the mouth-equivalent bits. When I was four years old or so, I accidentally kneeled on a bumblebee while playing on a lawn. It grabbed right on to my leg and refused to let go, the little bastard. I must have been screaming and trying to shake it off almost half a minute, from what I'm told. Apparently it looked completely hilarious.

I don't hold it against them, I'm just kind of amused that the only bumblebee I've ever managed to annoy that much still refused to pull out the stinger.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cardiovorax posted:

I was actually bitten by a bumblebee when I was a little kid - as in, properly bitten, with the mouth-equivalent bits. When I was four years old or so, I accidentally kneeled on a bumblebee while playing on a lawn. It grabbed right on to my leg and refused to let go, the little bastard. I must have been screaming and trying to shake it off almost half a minute, from what I'm told. Apparently it looked completely hilarious.

I don't hold it against them, I'm just kind of amused that the only bumblebee I've ever managed to annoy that much still refused to pull out the stinger.

It was probably a male carpenter bee. Bumble bee jaws aren't very strong and any female bee wouldn't hesitate to sting something that kneels on them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

It was probably a male carpenter bee. Bumble bee jaws aren't very strong and any female bee wouldn't hesitate to sting something that kneels on them.
It's possible, but unlikely. I live in central Europe and while we have a variety of carpenter bees, none of the species you could find in my home region are of the right coloration or size.

I was very little at the time and the shaking may not have been all that impressive. :v:

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Bald faced "hornets" being yellowjackets makes perfect sense. To date yellowjackets are the only bee-family bug I've been stung by. Still in awe that I let paper wasps make a nest over the back door that I and my rowdy dogs go through all the time and they left all of us alone. Took the chance after I nearly weed-whacked one and he just flew away completely unbothered.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Unless you're in Japan I think this holds up? I know all the large wasps here in Australia are way less trouble than honeybees and european wasps.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I once felt a paper wasp take a shot at me and slide its stinger across my thumb instead but it was because I was literally harassing it across a windowsill with my fingers so I could get a better photo

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

Unless you're in Japan I think this holds up? I know all the large wasps here in Australia are way less trouble than honeybees and european wasps.
I once saw a video of a Japanese man reaching right into a big pile of Japanese Giant Hornets and pushing them all over the place without getting a single sting, so presumably not even those are all that bad. Just stay away from the hive, as per usual.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Recently I've been going to various SoCal marshes and wetlands for school and volunteer work. I've been saving some of these up but to say I've been super lucky in some of my sightings is a great understatement. These are going to be birds, because I love birds. But rest assured there are plenty of other great critters and I will try to get good footage of them on future trips. Many of these are also distant shots, because birds. If any of these are wrong, please feel free to correct! I am new to IDing most birds.
Turkey vultures aren't generally on the ground
An irritated black-crowned night heron
Black-necked stilt
A rightly pissed off redtail hawk (We spotted the nest nearby on our way out)
A bufflehead who decided he didn't like our duck calls.
Great horned owl just trying to get some drat sleep
White-tailed kite near their nesting area
A great egret on the hunt (they were successful! It was a fish)
We don't see redhead ducks that often down here
Handsome pintail
Probably the most bold mallard I have ever seen
I keep mixing up my scaups. I think this is a lesser scaup?
A goddamn golden eagle holy poo poo
Sleepy barn owl
American Kestrel
A wild clapper rail!
This is an endangered species (at least locally) that I am volunteering to help monitor with video traps, but it was very exciting to see one in person.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Chaosfeather posted:

A great egret on the hunt (they were successful! It was a fish)

A few of these guys hang out along a flooded section of service road near us. Watching them hunt and lounge around makes sitting in traffic almost bearable. Theyre super cool birds.

Also that barn owl sleeping in what looks like a little library is adorable. We have a few little libraries around here so my boys are going to flip out when I show them that picture.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I found this guy in the yard at our complex in Brisbane, Australia. Thought about getting my big camera out but I don't have any colour film at the moment.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Chaosfeather posted:

Black-necked stilt

That expression is getting me randy

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Cardiovorax posted:

Usually true in my experience.

However I will say that stepping on a spider hawk is not a recommended experience - felt like someone had plugged my foot directly into the mains electricity but the sensation kept going for quite some time. Hard to adequately describe how unpleasant it was but that's about the best I can do.

Apparently they've got negligible toxicity to mammals, honey bee venom is 7 times more potent (and that's excluding allergenic potential) - just extremely painful as insect stings go.

Other than directly stepping on one once though all I've ever seen them do is buzz loudly at you if you get to close while they're moving a paralyzed spider so pretty hard to piss them off.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Chaosfeather posted:

Recently I've been going to various SoCal marshes and wetlands for school and volunteer work. I've been saving some of these up but to say I've been super lucky in some of my sightings is a great understatement. These are going to be birds, because I love birds. But rest assured there are plenty of other great critters and I will try to get good footage of them on future trips. Many of these are also distant shots, because birds. If any of these are wrong, please feel free to correct! I am new to IDing most birds.

Cool birds!

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Going through my an old SD card when I remembered this thread is a thing. These were taken a few years ago in the central VA area.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

My university has a pond with a bunch of turtles and I used to feed them in between a few of my classes.

This is one of the softshells. Her name is Nessie.

One of the turtles got me a flower for Valentine's day. :3:

They're very photogenic.

https://gfycat.com/closedexaltedaurochs
They fuckin love watermelon but I mostly fed them carrots, chicken, and kale.

So many turts.

Sometimes they like to climb on me.

I was kind of a local celebrity and sometimes people would come by and talk or take pictures or videos, which I didn't mind. Someone even gave me this picture they made (currently framed on my desk)

The university's been shut down due to COVID-19 since two weeks ago (feels like it's been forever), and I miss my little buddies. :smith:

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 27, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

drat that's a lot of turtles.

I seriously need to figure out how to cut video clips and such. My own university's Nile Geese are currently breeding and it's just adorable.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

They're very photogenic.
They really are. That's a lovely pattern.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I just got opossumed

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

I wonder if that one's carrying babies in its pouch or if it's just fat. Looks like it has a big tummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Red Queen posted:

I wonder if that one's carrying babies in its pouch or if it's just fat. Looks like it has a big tummy.

hopefully babies :3:

I was driving, so no pic, but I saw an adult bald eagle perched on a house on my street in Virginia Beach the other morning. I know they're in the area but this is the first time I've ever seen an adult up close here just chilling around the human poo poo. My best previous close sighting was a juvenile eating roadkill a couple of years ago.