Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Knockknees posted:

Chicago Department of public health and IDPH seem like they really have their poo poo together. Super transparent and seem like they are doing all the right things in regards to contact tracing, testing, monitoring, and school closures. Other states are a shitshow comparatively.

Yeah, although I was a little surprised CDPH didn't staff anyone extra over the weekend/holiday last weekend (the 29th-2nd). I've had a nasty cold over the past week and a half, and since I'd traveled internationally to a non-hotspot I wanted to double check the testing rules early last week. I called the IDPH hotline and the woman said maybe but to check with CDPH on whether I should get tested. I called and they were closed for the weekend and Pulaski day.

Ended up going to the doctor and he said it was probably just a normal cold, maybe flu but I was outside the tamiflu range so it didn't matter, and to rest and keep hydrated and call if I got a fever or shortness of breath. So far so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Early voted, +1 for Sanders. Not sure why, but Chicago changed up their early voting machines. The old ones were easy to use for me. New ones are fine too, but it involves you printing out the ballot and then running it through a scanner. Seems a little silly to me.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I usually early vote, but the thrill of voting on St. Patrick's day is tempting.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

KDdidit posted:

I usually early vote, but the thrill of voting on St. Patrick's day is tempting.

Get a mail ballot and fill it out and put it in the mail on St. Patrick's Day. Your vote will still be counted, and you'll get all the luck with none of the lines!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

WBEZ literally has a segment begging people not to vote for judges on St. Patrick’s day just because they have an Irish name.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Hope WBEZ doesn't have any cases come before the honorable former Mr Phillip Spiwak.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2018/11/9/18469170/he-ran-for-judge-lost-changed-parties-took-irish-name-won-cook-county-race

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Illinois State University is extending spring break by a week, but then switching to e-learning until late April. Closing university housing, etc. - no students on campus for another month and a half or so.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
closing university housing is loving insane and it's loving infuriating all these schools are doing this.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dexo posted:

closing university housing is loving insane and it's loving infuriating all these schools are doing this.
There's mention of as-needed exceptions but uh yeah.

I know the half+ of students paying for apartments are probably coming back, anyways.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://mobile.twitter.com/hannahmeisel/status/1237890297519955968

u of i keeping the housing open.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Closing housing is ridiculous. Not every student can just pick up and move home, and they shouldn’t have to appeal to the university to not be made homeless with a week’s notice.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Yeah shouldn't tenant rights apply or something that is ridiculous

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Northwestern is also keeping housing open but going remote till late April at least.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Discussing with my dad last night about the election (even though its on the Nov ballot) and he kept bringing up a point on if the Graduated Income Tax Amendment were to past the IL constitution would be open to any change moving forward for some period of time. This doesn't make that much sense to me how one change allows for anything else to be change/proposed to be changed.

Any truth to this?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Discussing with my dad last night about the election (even though its on the Nov ballot) and he kept bringing up a point on if the Graduated Income Tax Amendment were to past the IL constitution would be open to any change moving forward for some period of time. This doesn't make that much sense to me how one change allows for anything else to be change/proposed to be changed.

Any truth to this?

It would be open to any change in the same way that it was before in that the legislature would have to pass something and then we’d all have to vote on it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps it's from the perspective of "if we have enough votes to amend the IL constitution to add this tax, then logically there'd be enough support to add anything!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yea that's how I interpreted it. That if there's enough to change one they could try and change more. He made it sound like the constitution is 'locked' right now and if they vote yes and it 'opens' they could just change things at will.

Maybe in some weird obscurant wording they could but not straight up change something not voted on.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I think one of the options proposed for Fair Tax was to have a new Constitutional Convention but that's not the way they're doing it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Digital Jedi posted:

Any truth to this?

My understanding is the tax rates are set by state statute, but you need to change the state constitution to be able to do anything that isn't a flat tax. So he's right in that passing the constitutional amendment means down the road the legislature could raise the bottom bracket rate to 10% or whatever, but they can already do that already by raising everyone's at once

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Pritzker and the State Superintendent are meeting right now to discuss closing schools in the state.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Pritzker and the State Superintendent are meeting right now to discuss closing schools in the state.

Where are you seeing this? Last night he said they were remaining open.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Oracle posted:

Where are you seeing this? Last night he said they were remaining open.

I've a hunch a lot of people were waiting for the weekend to start calling stuff for next week.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Shere posted:

I've a hunch a lot of people were waiting for the weekend to start calling stuff for next week.

All Catholic schools run by the archdiocese in Cook and Lake are closed til further notice. God working from home is gonna be fun.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I work for a ROE and our Supt sent out an email letting us know that this meeting was happening.

Told us to prepare for schools closing.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My company finally announced WFH through the end of March.

I dunno if I am ready to be with my family 24/7! I love them and all but...

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Maybe I'm being naive, but is there really that much of a threat in the rural counties? Seems like it would make more sense to just close the handful of counties with urban/suburban areas that would be most at risk.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bird in a Blender posted:

Maybe I'm being naive, but is there really that much of a threat in the rural counties? Seems like it would make more sense to just close the handful of counties with urban/suburban areas that would be most at risk.

its already community spread in mchenry to some teenager who has no travel contacts ,so yeah

edit like this:
https://twitter.com/charlesbethea/status/1238504984918065155

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 13, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I had to cancel a trip up north to the wastelands of Rockford to see my grandparents and parents. Who I was debating not going anyway for their health concerns in case I had it.

That decision was made easier when my wife told me that she would likely have to self Quarantine from work for 2 weeks burning all of her sick and vacation time because of how close to Chicago she'd be going. As per the hospitals(her job) company policy.

All it takes is one person. To go visit someone make a stop in a gas station etc etc.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Dexo posted:

I had to cancel a trip up north to the wastelands of Rockford to see my grandparents and parents. Who I was debating not going anyway for their health concerns in case I had it.

That decision was made easier when my wife told me that she would likely have to self Quarantine from work for 2 weeks burning all of her sick and vacation time because of how close to Chicago she'd be going. As per the hospitals(her job) company policy.

All it takes is one person. To go visit someone make a stop in a gas station etc etc.

It's bullshit that they're making her use PTO. Which I'm sure you realize but I wanted to say.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

In terms of spread maybe not but if an elderly person two hours away from the nearest hospital gets seriously ill they’re probably hosed.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Closing university housing is hard but a good and necessary thing.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/royalpratt/status/1238569616189857793

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
gently caress.

I understand, but still, I don't want to see my family THAT much!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

There was some confusion. First day back is the 31st for a full two weeks.

Also, superintendents were told to be prepared for going longer than the two weeks if the situation in state has gotten worse.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

dwarf74 posted:

gently caress.

I understand, but still, I don't want to see my family THAT much!

Yeah this is going to be brutal lol

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

There was some confusion. First day back is the 31st for a full two weeks.

Also, superintendents were told to be prepared for going longer than the two weeks if the situation in state has gotten worse.

This thing isn't expected to peak until May.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1239032238198657025

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
https://twitter.com/royalpratt/status/1239279621847355394?s=19

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Do retail next. I already went two months without a paycheck thanks to surgery, what's another month :(

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Holy shitballs. Are grocery stores next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

limp_cheese posted:

Holy shitballs. Are grocery stores next?

Food stores aren't even closed in Italy