Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I found my first time capsule last night- had a stasis rifle and a note wishing me luck.

<3 <3 <3 <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I found my first time capsule last night- had a stasis rifle and a note wishing me luck.

<3 <3 <3 <3

My first time capsule had a Seaglide in it.

I was less than enthused until I realized it had one of those souped-up batteries in it.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I just started playing this game last week and I'm completely addicted now.

Not having a map seems like the best option to me, I'm still lost most of the time lol. This game rocks.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

I never found a time capsule, never built a stasis rifle, and maps are for losers. Now pardon me while I knife-fight this Reaper.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Having played a considerable amount of Escape from Tarkov recently (a semi-hardcore FPS with almost full loot), I have come to realize that games with ingame real time maps do not allow one to become immersed in the game world. No map means you have to recognize landmarks to figure out where you are, and once you start recognizing landmarks, one gets a really deep feeling of satisfaction of having actually learned something.

No maps can be really good.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i mean...subnautica with a map is what. like a 6 hour experience?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Subnautica's kind of got some core problems with a game where they significantly changed the core concept as they went but were stuck with a lot of earlier decisions. If they had the same concept in mind from day one I'm pretty sure development would look very different.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I just want a biome map. Doesn't even need to have your active location or POIs. If I'm looking for blood kelp, I don't want to be wandering in circles.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
That’s your distress pings.

Seriously, pretty much everyone I’ve watched play just goes to the distress signal, takes a cursory look around if that, loots the pod, turns the ping off, goes home and forgets about it.

Each major biome has at least one pod in it. Most if not all are in clear visual range of major wreckage chunks. A few are literally sitting on top of entries to important underground biomes.

This is a game that expects you to learn to navigate based on landmarks and beacon pings, actually using the tools you’re given helps.

Edit: That came off unnecessarily hostile and I’m sorry. I just think the game world is so small, having an even un-detailed map would kill a good chunk of the ‘Wow’ factor when you fire up the game and it’s nothing but you and the open sea.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 9, 2020

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Drake_263 posted:

That’s your distress pings.

Seriously, pretty much everyone I’ve watched play just goes to the distress signal, takes a cursory look around if that, loots the pod, turns the ping off, goes home and forgets about it.

Each major biome has at least one pod in it. Most if not all are in clear visual range of major wreckage chunks. A few are literally sitting on top of entries to important underground biomes.

This is a game that expects you to learn to navigate based on landmarks and beacon pings, actually using the tools you’re given helps.

Edit: That came off unnecessarily hostile and I’m sorry. I just think the game world is so small, having an even un-detailed map would kill a good chunk of the ‘Wow’ factor when you fire up the game and it’s nothing but you and the open sea.
This is part of why I usually bring up "You know, there USED to be a sensor ping for that, but they removed it" problems. People point to them as the solution, and many times they were, but even those were removed until you hit the situation where tons of people just drive right on past The lava castle and find themselves having to turn around in spite of following all that kind of advice. Because people far less self aware than you about it, lead to it being that way.

The theory this thread presents defending the idea is sound. The presentation needed work, and then they took out some parts of it that did work for those who didn't already know the map like the back of their hand, basically.

The map IS so small that getting a map ahead of time would botch things. . They just doubled down on the wrong things trying to preserve the illusion. But then my particular mindset is also the sort that found the edge of the map more scary when it was just an empty nothingness rather than monster town.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 9, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm fully 100% guilty of being blind as a bat. I found the lava castle just fine as I had gone down there unspoilered without sonar and was terrified not finding my way back, so I was being very catious. But before going further I read the wiki to find the goddamn sonar location (it was greyed out in my cyclops fab and was tilting me), and it turns out I had missed.. soooooo much stuff. Like the first and third degausi bases, and the 3 shallow alien caches. How the gently caress did I miss this giant loving meteor crater? I'd apparently done laps around it as my tour of the edges must have been too far out.

I can see both sides of the argument, as finding familiarity with an area is super fun, but after a while you just want to get on with things.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Serephina posted:

I'm fully 100% guilty of being blind as a bat. I found the lava castle just fine as I had gone down there unspoilered without sonar and was terrified not finding my way back, so I was being very catious. But before going further I read the wiki to find the goddamn sonar location (it was greyed out in my cyclops fab and was tilting me), and it turns out I had missed.. soooooo much stuff. Like the first and third degausi bases, and the 3 shallow alien caches. How the gently caress did I miss this giant loving meteor crater? I'd apparently done laps around it as my tour of the edges must have been too far out.

I can see both sides of the argument, as finding familiarity with an area is super fun, but after a while you just want to get on with things.

Yeah I got around fine navigating by beacons and landmarks but it's still really easy to miss stuff, especially at night. I didn't get the vehicle upgrade console until I'd all but beaten the game and even then only by googling where to find it, somehow I'd just missed that particular wreck the whole time even though it was in the middle of my most-trafficked area

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The deep lava zone should've been boiling hot.

Also I would love some freaky combination of Subnautica and Oxygen Not Included, exploring an asteroid or planetoid in space.

Outer Wilds

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

uPen posted:

Outer Wilds

"This game is not yet available on Steam
Planned Release Date: TBD"

Shrug.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Serephina posted:

"This game is not yet available on Steam
Planned Release Date: TBD"

Shrug.

It's on the Epic games store in case you are serious.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Oasx posted:

It's on the Epic games store in case you are serious.

I am. I have 4 storefront accounts, 3 of which have solid linux support. I'm not going to install another one with zero platform support whose defining trait is 'paying people to not release elsewhere'.

I'll probably catch it when it comes to Steam, in a few years, after everyone's forgotten about it and it's heavily discounted. Not my drat loving problem people are politics with their business.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I appreciate that. It was pretty uncool of them to promise Steam keys during their fundraising and then announce 2 weeks before launch they were going to be an Epic Exclusive for an indeterminate amount of time (to the customer).

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Serephina posted:

I am. I have 4 storefront accounts, 3 of which have solid linux support. I'm not going to install another one with zero platform support whose defining trait is 'paying people to not release elsewhere'.

I'll probably catch it when it comes to Steam, in a few years, after everyone's forgotten about it and it's heavily discounted. Not my drat loving problem people are politics with their business.

It would be pretty dumb for Epic to fund developers just so that they could release games on Epic's huge competitor, that people primarily use out of laziness. If some developers have been dumb enough to back out of previous promises, then that is not Epic being evil, but a fault of the developers.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I blame them both. :shrug:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah good, this again

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
MY

STOREFRONT

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Subnautica should let you setup a store or like a shop.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
I don’t like multiple platforms clogging up my computer, but I got Epic for Outer Wilds and absolutely loved that game. As a bonus the Epic Game launcher gives away games every week for free. So I have a recent Assassin’s creed game and Farming Simulator and a growing list of games I will probably never play because I don’t even get to some of the ones I pay for.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
My problem with the Epic launcher is when I bought and tried to install Metro: Exodus on it, it would for some reason slowly eat up ALL my ram in the course of the dl/install. After the install finally finished, it'd be corrupted and wouldn't launch properly, and the only option presented to me was to delete everything and throw three more hours at it, during which I couldn't do anything else because it used all my memory. After the better part of a day trying and retrying, I refunded and have refused to touch the thing ever again. When I picked it up on steam recently, it A. Didn't require even a fraction of my memory to download and install and B. worked perfectly.

Like, this is definitely an edge case, but man, worst experience.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Outer Wilds is not really a survival game. It’s primarily a mystery/exploration game. Crafting is virtually nonexistent. There are very few hostile lifeforms, and much fewer methods to deal with them than Subnautica. The oxygen timer is also much more forgiving. Minor mechanic spoiler: Suicide is also a valid, and sometimes the best, approach, whereas Subnautica rewards players with escape plans.

The closest similarity is in the environments: They are hand-made, distinct, visually striking, and come with their own, unique challenges. It nails the otherworldly feel, just as Subnautica does.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jawnycat posted:

My problem with the Epic launcher is when I bought and tried to install Metro: Exodus on it, it would for some reason slowly eat up ALL my ram in the course of the dl/install. After the install finally finished, it'd be corrupted and wouldn't launch properly, and the only option presented to me was to delete everything and throw three more hours at it, during which I couldn't do anything else because it used all my memory. After the better part of a day trying and retrying, I refunded and have refused to touch the thing ever again. When I picked it up on steam recently, it A. Didn't require even a fraction of my memory to download and install and B. worked perfectly.

Like, this is definitely an edge case, but man, worst experience.

You mean .... Epic experience.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
what would a map even look like

like an on-screen mini-map that somehow cuts the z to something relevant and doesn't spoil the lost river from the surface? a 3d mesh you have to dig into the menus past the pings that folks already ignore?

everyone claiming it's a trivial addition so i must've missed the discussion over the basic UI for it

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

like an on-screen mini-map that somehow cuts the z to something relevant and doesn't spoil the lost river from the surface? a 3d mesh you have to dig into the menus past the pings that folks already ignore?

everyone claiming it's a trivial addition so i must've missed the discussion over the basic UI for it

Quit trying to take me hostage with your immersion.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ok I changed my mind. They should add a map. But when you look at it a reapers spawns right in front of you. And there is a very long animation for putting the map away or you lose it.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I mean, jokes aside, there are good 2d maps of the game online which are pretty useful.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
If you aren't going to college for four years of underwater cartography and drawing your own seafloor maps, you're doing it wrong.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Most of the EGS's timed exclusivity deals have been for 12 months, so it's likely that Outer Wilds will come to Steam in May

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Tetrabor posted:

If you aren't going to college for four years of underwater cartography and drawing your own seafloor maps, you're doing it wrong.

There was an Indy survival game from a few years ago called Miasmata where the main challenge was filling in your map by doing cartography

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Misamata was a cool game. Triangulating your location to map out where you were was a neat concept.

On the subnautica topic: I can't wait for the new story mode to come out. I want to play below zero again.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Oh yea, they could do a map like hardcore kingdom come. It gives you a map but doesn't tell where you are. That would be fair as poo poo.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
I'm very much in the no map camp (use beacons and keep a notepad to remind what's near each if you need), but in Below Zero hitting the land based section was so jarring it made me want to install a map mod just so I didn't have to spend any more time than necessary wandering around it. Basically when you're having fun exploring the environment you don't really think about a map, but when you're not having as much fun...

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Uh theres been a really good map mod for Subnautica for forever; it has a ton of options to enable/disable.

Best not to use right from the start but honestly it didn't break my immersion at all; once I was past the shallows learning curve part it just kept me from wasting 20 extra hours navigating a bunch of repeat biomes. I disabled drat near everything icon wise though and just used it as more of a depth chart more or less so YMMV.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/12

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Ossipago posted:

I'm very much in the no map camp (use beacons and keep a notepad to remind what's near each if you need), but in Below Zero hitting the land based section was so jarring it made me want to install a map mod just so I didn't have to spend any more time than necessary wandering around it. Basically when you're having fun exploring the environment you don't really think about a map, but when you're not having as much fun...

Agreed here. The part of the game with the snowfox was incredibly frustrating. It was a combination with the landscape looking basically the same and the weird jarring motion of the snowfox. It took me so long to find the base or whatever that I was supposed to find with that guy's datalog.

I looked at multiple streams and still found it difficult to navigate. I really hope they change that part.