Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
If your controllers are freaking out and you're in a large room make sure that your base stations are far enough apart. I have a big mirror in my room and covering it didn't make a difference but moving the base stations did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I get severe vertigo in high places in real life, but figured I'd be fine in that Spider-Man experience. Haha, NO. Just zipping 20 feet up a wall made my knees weak. About two seconds after running off the top of a skyscraper it felt like my body had been shot out of a trebuchet.

In other words, it was great. VR's ability to genuinely make you feel like you're somewhere else is so strong, and it's not something that comes across in most coverage.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

SCheeseman posted:

Step one return headset step two buy a better headset.

I did want to get an Index, but it wouldn't even have shipped before the launch of Half-Life Alyx.

Unrelated to that: Superhot owns.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bad Munki posted:

Tonight, ~9PM eastern, goon time poker: be there or probably be doing something cooler, “Munki’s CASH game” I think will be the name, I don’t see a way to rename it, password will be the same as last night, 133780085

Room is up and idling, I’ll be on in a few.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Peewi posted:

I did want to get an Index, but it wouldn't even have shipped before the launch of Half-Life Alyx.

Unrelated to that: Superhot owns.

The Vive Pro (provided you can find one for sale) or Cosmos Elite are a better choice if you want to go with HTC for some reason. Even the Quest and the cheapest WMR headsets have considerably better tracking than the inside-out tracking variants of Cosmos.

Cosmos tracking fails when used at high speeds and whenever there is occlusion between controllers, like when holding two handed weapons like rifles or shotguns.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 15, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I get severe vertigo in high places in real life, but figured I'd be fine in that Spider-Man experience. Haha, NO. Just zipping 20 feet up a wall made my knees weak. About two seconds after running off the top of a skyscraper it felt like my body had been shot out of a trebuchet.

In other words, it was great. VR's ability to genuinely make you feel like you're somewhere else is so strong, and it's not something that comes across in most coverage.

:aaa:
I somehow missed that was a thing. Instantly adding.
I liked the moment in Boneworks that it introduces climbing up a rope and how weird it feels to fall 30 feet or so if you gently caress up, I would be all over the Spidey experience.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Bad Munki posted:

Room is up and idling, I’ll be on in a few.

Sorry about that my internet is poo poo and drops all the time. Pokerstars does not handle network connectivity issues very well. I'm gonna eat a sandwich and then hop back on, hopefully some more goons show up!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

Cosmos tracking fails when used at high speeds and whenever there is occlusion between controllers, like when holding two handed weapons like rifles or shotguns.

Don't they also need to be stupidly-well-lit too?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Sorry about that my internet is poo poo and drops all the time. Pokerstars does not handle network connectivity issues very well. I'm gonna eat a sandwich and then hop back on, hopefully some more goons show up!

Ha, I take $20 on that one hand and then you bolt, sure sure, I know what’s up.

e: How abnormal is it to arrange your irl furniture to match the poker room furniture so you can go sit at an adjacent table? :ohdear:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 15, 2020

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:hellyeah:

back when i got VR there weren't things like that yet, so one of the first things i did was mod minecraft, go on a cliff, and look down, and it worked exactly as i thought i would.

then, i stepped over the edge, and while the flying down bit wasn't too scary for me, the approach and landing bit oh boy. you can feel the landing in your knees despite nothing happening lmao

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Suggestion for your vertigo;

Step 1: Go to your hardware store and get a flat plank of wood you can stand on. Step 2: Buy Plank Experience on Steam.:unsmigghh:

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Peewi posted:

We may have found the only market niche the Vive Cosmos can occupy: being available at a moment's notice (because nobody is buying it) in time to ship for a once-in-a-decade sequel to a beloved IP everyone thought dead.

If there is any possible refund policy after having opened it, even with a restock fee, take it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

i must compose posted:

If your controllers are freaking out and you're in a large room make sure that your base stations are far enough apart. I have a big mirror in my room and covering it didn't make a difference but moving the base stations did.

What’s the expected range on the index bases, anyhow? I’m currently set up in a temporary space in my den, managed to squeeze in 2m x 3m with some additional “secret” out-of-bounds spots here and there, but I have a room I’m remodeling that’ll give me a working area of easily 4x6, and I’m curious if I should consider an extra base for that.

Beyond that, I’ve been having a fantastically great time. Taking it very easy as to what sorts of stuff I do, generally avoiding more intense free motion stuff so as to not make myself sick while I get used to this thing. Lots of seated or stationary games. I think that approach has served me well so far, haven’t had even a hint of motion sickness or anything. Looking forward to stepping up my activities.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

What’s the expected range on the index bases, anyhow? I’m currently set up in a temporary space in my den, managed to squeeze in 2m x 3m with some additional “secret” out-of-bounds spots here and there, but I have a room I’m remodeling that’ll give me a working area of easily 4x6, and I’m curious if I should consider an extra base for that.

Their recommended max for two base stations is a 6m diagonal, so you'll be over but it will probably still work okay. Adding a third base station is unlikely to help much unless your space is triangular; you'd need to go to four which officially supports up to 10x10m.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Suggestion for your vertigo;

Step 1: Go to your hardware store and get a flat plank of wood you can stand on. Step 2: Buy Plank Experience on Steam.:unsmigghh:

Is plank experience actually a game or is it just for scaring VR newbies on YouTube?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Truga posted:

:hellyeah:

back when i got VR there weren't things like that yet, so one of the first things i did was mod minecraft, go on a cliff, and look down, and it worked exactly as i thought i would.

then, i stepped over the edge, and while the flying down bit wasn't too scary for me, the approach and landing bit oh boy. you can feel the landing in your knees despite nothing happening lmao

Running full force speed into one of the weird sandbox-only ball things in Boneworks so I could wail it with a crowbar genuinely made me buckle my knees and almost fall over

It was gooooood.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah Boneworks is really good at making you feel like you’re really doing the thing. I was wobbly as poo poo through most of my play through, which I’m assuming looked hilarious

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Anyone’s shipment get moved back a bit? I was supposed to get my knucks tomorrow, but they’ve been moved back a day. Totally understandable given world events right now but somewhat surprising as they’re within a 45 minute drive right now.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

NRVNQSR posted:

Their recommended max for two base stations is a 6m diagonal, so you'll be over but it will probably still work okay. Adding a third base station is unlikely to help much unless your space is triangular; you'd need to go to four which officially supports up to 10x10m.
My Gen1 base stations have been positioned about a meter further than recommended since day one. Occasionally I'll get a popup complaining about this fact, buy they still sync up wirelessly without issues and everything works fine within my usable area.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I tried that Spider-Man experience, it's basic and a bit janky, but since it's free I'd recommend it. On the plus side, it does give you some feeling of height and flying around. The controls are the downside, by default I started with snap turns, which just did not work at all for me in a game about smooth movement. And I couldn't figure out a way to adjust them without quitting a scenario. Free turn is better but still janky because both sticks do turn *and* movement so you go drunkenly wandering off to the side a lot by mistake. Also "back" is mapped to 180 quick turn so I spent a lot of time disoriented when I wanted to back away from something and just turned completely around. There's probably ways to adjust some of that in the menus, but I'd definitely want more refinement from a real game - that said, it's basically a fun free demo that points towards a pretty phenomenal full game that would fit really well with the franchise.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

After finishing Realities 'virtual visits', it's clear we are still far away of photo realism in video games.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Left Index controller keeps being hinky even after several restarts and device updates. They've got known flakiness, yeah? 😬

Also anyone have a recommendation for a stand for the base stations?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Deathlove posted:

Left Index controller keeps being hinky even after several restarts and device updates. They've got known flakiness, yeah? 😬

Your wall and the mounts that came with them? They make like 50lb 3m strips or whatever if you simply can't drill 2 small holes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Det_no posted:

I wonder if it's necessary to give the headset a little disinfecting wipe before use. Probably not, right? Those things must have been in boxes for months.

Pull it out of the box and leave it out for a day (full 24 hours), probably crack a window open to get the humidity down (opening the window can drop local humidity from 70+% to 50% in about 15 minutes), and then wipe it down with disinfectant the following day

Normally it shouldn't matter but you're gonna strap this thing directly to your eyeballs and nose

Coronavirus can survive up to 4 days on plastic and stainless steel. Far less on porous surfaces like cardboard (4 hours) It's probably been sterile for a week, but, you are gonna strap this thing directly to your eyeballs.

We leave our groceries in the trunk/car overnight now before bringing them in the house except for the frozen foods

If you have to physically go into work don't bother, you're gonna get the roni no matter what

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

EbolaIvory posted:

Your wall and the mounts that came with them? They make like 50lb 3m strips or whatever if you simply can't drill 2 small holes.

Tried the strips and they fell off - the back of the mounts don't really have a great surface to put them on. Not a lot of contiguous surface area. And I'm in an apartment so I'd prefer to not drill up a bunch.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Deathlove posted:

Tried the strips and they fell off - the back of the mounts don't really have a great surface to put them on. Not a lot of contiguous surface area. And I'm in an apartment so I'd prefer to not drill up a bunch.

Contractor poles?

https://amzn.to/2vZZb4v

Theres always sugru too. But thats pretty much the same as drilling a hole as far as permanent goes.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Deathlove posted:

Patching holes in drywall is easy as hell. I do it in apartments all the time.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shine posted:

Patching holes in drywall is easy as hell. I do it in apartments all the time.

Yeah and to be totally honest, As high as they will be, unless you have some crazy color walls, itll take 5 min to fix when you move out.

I literally ripped up carpet, painted 3 walls, a floor, etc, in a rental. I think you'll be ok with 4 small holes. XD

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Deathlove posted:

Quoting myself from the previous page:

caldrax posted:

I had my base stations on tables when I first got them and I'd lose tracking on my left hand a lot. I bought these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H8MZV5P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and mounted them up high facing slightly down and into my play space and they've been great ever since. I'm in a rental where I can't screw things into the wall so these were a life saver.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Slightly adjusted the placement on one of my lighthouses and removed my reflective water-bottle from the room; had a lot more luck with tracking this morning. Finished up Superhot...as a fan of the original, every little discovery in this one was a joy.

"I can cut bullets!"

"I can CATCH bullets!"

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

So having only really used the quest for tracking, are lighthouses really the way to go? I've only ever had great results with the external cameras on the quest

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

motherbox posted:

Slightly adjusted the placement on one of my lighthouses and removed my reflective water-bottle from the room; had a lot more luck with tracking this morning. Finished up Superhot...as a fan of the original, every little discovery in this one was a joy.

"I can cut bullets!"

"I can CATCH bullets!"

claim your reward

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

So having only really used the quest for tracking, are lighthouses really the way to go? I've only ever had great results with the external cameras on the quest

They're one way to go. Lighthouse tracking is superb, but requires permanently placed (ideally wall-mounted) base stations that also require power outlets. It also only works with headsets designed for it, such as the Index and Vive.

If you're happy with what you have, then continue to be happy with it.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

caldrax posted:

Quoting myself from the previous page:

🙏🙏🙏 Thank you! We'll see if this does the trick for the controller. Was also having troubles with the DisplayPort adapter I got (Reddit recommended), gonna try a different one (Steam forums recommended). 😑

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Bad Munki posted:

Ha, I take $20 on that one hand and then you bolt, sure sure, I know what’s up.

e: How abnormal is it to arrange your irl furniture to match the poker room furniture so you can go sit at an adjacent table? :ohdear:

Internet stayed lovely all night. tech support dude just left after recabling some stuff, hopefully it's more reliable now.

I hadn't thought of that, but actually having a poker table in front of you would be really neat :classiclol:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Desktop Portal
Ovr Drop
Ovrtoolkit
Virtual Desktop
XSOverlay

Anyone have any opinion on any of these over any of others?

I miss being able to pin app windows in games.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 15, 2020

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lowen SoDium posted:

Desktop Portal
Ovr Drop
Ovrtoolkit
Virtual Desktop

Anyone have any opinion on any of these over any of others?

I miss being able to pin app windows in games.

Desktop Portal is the new hotness. Dudes pretty keen on making it work and optimizing things. Its what I'm currently recommending.

Drop still works. I still use it.
Toolkit is what I'd recommend if Desktop Portal wasn't around.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Just got and tried out my Index, and I gotta say...I'm having some really major buyer's remorse. I even won the controller lottery and have no drift or sticky buttons.

SteamVR's onboarding/new user experience is complete dogshit, H3VR has no tutorial, and every online tutorial with instructions on how to change your environment has a completely different user experience. In order to even find the Alyx content I had to find a RPS article and drag the links onto my steam window to subscribe to them, but even after downloading they don't show up anywhere. Nothing to launch and no settings to change that so much as mention environments.

Revive has its own button for me from which I can Oculus games into a black screen and subsequent crash.

The screen is noticeably clearer and the sound is nice. Feels like $999 of hardware and $1 of software. Dogshit.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Right now I'm using Toolkit for pinning and Virtual Desktop for general PC usage in VR. I'll check out Portal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

The screen is noticeably clearer and the sound is nice. Feels like $999 of hardware and $1 of software. Dogshit.
Yeah, but at least you can chose what drive to install Steam onto.

I'm currently playing with that one. It's usable, but early in development.