Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Insurrectionist posted:

What on earth is going on with this?

Greybeard's hated Thegan's Errantry and liked me the whole game. Still shows as negative attitude towards Thegan on diplomatic map. Not even non-aggression pact between them. And yet apparently now, after already fighting the Bretonnians for 20 turns and gobbling up their territory with the dwarves approving all the way, Greybeard is suddenly losing his poo poo over me fighting them.
Ordertide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Should I be deactivating all my mods to try out the beta?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

8 Ball posted:

Should I be deactivating all my mods to try out the beta?

Almost, if not all, the beta changes are economic in nature and shouldn't make any mods incompatible. Of course, unit mods and the like will work differently, but there shouldn't be incompatibility issues.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Insurrectionist posted:

What on earth is going on with this?

Greybeard's hated Thegan's Errantry and liked me the whole game. Still shows as negative attitude towards Thegan on diplomatic map. Not even non-aggression pact between them. And yet apparently now, after already fighting the Bretonnians for 20 turns and gobbling up their territory with the dwarves approving all the way, Greybeard is suddenly losing his poo poo over me fighting them.

You're stealing his kills, obviously

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

So I did my first ME campaign on normal/hard (instead of easy/normal). I gotta say, it kept the game fun for a lot longer than the easier difficulty. Ended up doing it as HE Alarielle, and I'm basically wrapping it up at turn 180 with 22k income. The one thing I never really got the hang of was end game HE armies. For going against DE, I was using spearmen backed up with sisters of Avelorn + some bolt throwers. The only difference from my early armies to my late ones was the addition of some better cavalry and dragons/phoenixes. Once chaos hit, I swapped out most of the spearmen for more AP infantry (white lions or swordmasters) but otherwise kept the same composition. I ended up relying a lot on heroes and magic to handle the worst threats from both factions.

Is there something I was missing? What would have improved my armies? I occasionally used the Lothern seaguard with shields instead of spearmen, but I didn't notice that much of an improvement.

Next campaign will likely be Noctilus, as I haven't tried the Vampire Coast at all yet.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Hey goons, recommend me a good SFO campaign, I'm finally going to give this a go in II. Are Greenskins not poo poo in this like vanilla? Does the new Wood Elves overhaul make them actually fun? I'm open to anything.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
How long do diplomatic penalties against destroyed factions last? I was hoping maybe they would start to go away but it's been 7 turns since I wiped out Thegan and the penalties for actions against them have only gone from -101 to -96, with the main -75 one only reducing by a single point.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I, too, want some help getting deep into Warhammer.

Generally I get bogged down a lot in the mid game and give up. I always feel like I’m fighting a war on too many fronts. How many decent armies does one really need to stay in the game?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Washin Tong posted:

Hey goons, recommend me a good SFO campaign, I'm finally going to give this a go in II. Are Greenskins not poo poo in this like vanilla? Does the new Wood Elves overhaul make them actually fun? I'm open to anything.

The greenskins I think were overhauled a bit but I've never played them.

The Empire has a shitload of work done on it and also gets access to a whole pile of chapter knights as well as the elector count units being reworked too, huge amount of variety there, plus their territories are quite neat with a fair few unique buildings such as the middenland temple of ulric which can project untainted across most of the north. Steam tanks also get selectable ammo and are super rare as you need a fully working foundry for each one.

Dwarfs have some cool mechanics with the ability to upgrade their units with rune research giving them specialized effects and changing how they work some, also some good balance changes so that the gyrocopters you start with as grombrindal are actually super good. I also really like their economy because gold mines are insanely valuable and gunbad especially can more or less prop up your economy by itself, capturing major gold mines feels so satisfying when you manage it. You also have some interesting economic choices where you can dig mines in your provinces but it generates skaven corruption which you then have to deal with.

To be honest I think all the races are good, but it depends what you like. I really like empire and dwarfs because I just like gunpowder and artillery a lot, but I played some of a lizard campaign too cos murdering people with dinos is fun. Skaven are also a lot of fun too. It really depends what kinds of races you like to play?

I don't own welfs so I can't tell you what the new overhaul does to them alas.

E: Mannfred... why..?

Is this just your hobby?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 15, 2020

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Gameko posted:

Generally I get bogged down a lot in the mid game and give up. I always feel like I’m fighting a war on too many fronts. How many decent armies does one really need to stay in the game?

never too many wars. wars get money and exp. always be fighting (A.B.F.). how many stacks? enough to A.B.F. the ai isnt great at reacting to your aggression but it can be good at exploiting complacency. so have enough to wage offensive wars +1. no reason to horde cash so if you have more than 2.5k income a turn build another army.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I do Greenskins in SFO alot. They are certainly much more fun but stuff like losing Greentide levels to rebellions is annoying.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Gameko posted:

tl;dr: If you want to learn the game on Normal don't let your income go into the red per turn and have your LL + 1 rampaging in one direction painting the map. Have 1 defensive Lord per 1-2 provinces with a 10-20 stack, build up your garrisons and walls everywhere, every settlement. If you're doing really well and want to push in another direction draft 1-2 Lords to do it. Stay green. If you're struggling in Vortex than ignore the Ritual but this ruins the fun of the race once you realize it's the best option.

To get more in depth you want as many as you can without going bankrupt. 2 Lords on Offense per direction, 1 Lord defending per 1-2 provinces, subject to your difficulty level. At all costs you want to avoid bankruptcy attrition. It's very fast and things will get worse if somebody runs over and smashes your 75% strength dudes. Negative income is fine if you do not need vital infrastructure improvements and you are winning battles because winning battles generates money. That is to say if you have savings you have a number of turns before you're in trouble. Most factions want to have a positive income though. Negative income is generally an exception for always active Hordes i.e. I finished a Very Hard Chaos campaign losing 10-20k income a turn but had a stockpile of 300k+. It'd take quite a series of mistakes to not raze a single city for 15-30 turns.

Most factions have the extra upkeep supply line penalty which is why rampantly recruiting Lords on Hard, Very Hard or Legendary will crash your economy with no survivors. You can save money long term by having your defense forces stick to 10 units of good damage dealers and a few front line elite(or bulk infantry) and have fights at the cities so the garrison(usually chaff + some ranged) is the other half of your army. Likewise you want to build walls in everything, get those minors to 3 and get the top end defense boost. You may have to fight defensive battles this way but imo fighting with non Doomstacks makes you better at the game. If truly terrible enemy forces are besieging your poo poo (Chaos stacks in ME, enemy LL stacks, you're on VH) then you may need a static Defender with the full 20. Keep in mind that auto-resolve can be VERY wonky and the AI traditionally struggles with attacking walls on siege maps. I've definitely won a 20/80 by just shooting their elite cavalry to death as it stares at the wall, arranged neatly in front of it.

So for the learner on Normal, have 2 guys rampaging in each direction you can afford to. Have 1 Lord per 1-2 provinces ready to roam and defend, to swat Beastman/Orc/Rogue Armies as they emerge(ignore Pirates) and to be ready for opportunistic AI declarations. If you have Faction support/the DLC to enable Regiments of Renown you can do very cheeky things on Defense. Lizardmen can stockpile Blessed units, Empire can stockpile Elector units, RoRs are always available after your first unlock. If you have money to spare and a very desperate defense springs up you can slam your 10 stack Defense Lord to a 20 stack full of 3-gold chevron elites.

Things get tricky when you raise the difficulty. An improperly timed army on VH will destroy your momentum really bad. It's something like the new Lord's upkeep + another 15% modifier to him and every existing unit. From here it becomes more important to have Lords capable of being more autonomous and roaming, and to keep your public order stabilized, to be well aware of budding problems in your empire. If you're on ME and playing the Dwarves you might have 2 Lords defending 4-6 provinces if they're tight-knit(i.e. the starting Dwarf mountains + the Badlands mountains.) You also have to account for how fast you expect at-risk settlements to fall: do you not upgrade them until the war is going better, and chalk it up to being expendable? Because remember, you still need your LL Doomstack at least fighting and winning your victory conditions.

Diplomacy becomes vital when you want stable borders. If you have a 3 province empire that encompasses your entire South side and you're on Non-Aggression Pact, Trading and Defensive Alliance then you have a massive buffer zone, basically a defensive wall. You just keep public order stable and you're gold, your need for Defense drops dramatically. It's not impossible for them to lose but(especially on VH) it's not going to happen rapidly, even 1 province minor factions can teleport in 2 Lords and elite doomstacks for each. Some factions will struggle with this more than others. Offhand if you want to get into an easier set up for long term wins, play on Mortal Empires and be Empire, Bretonnia or Dwarves. Don't let your neighbors go extinct, befriend Karl and Thorgrim up to Defensive Alliance. Do your thing and beat up designated baddie factions, eventually the Order Ball is stabilized and you practically can't lose. Gonna be trickier if you're say, Vampire Coast/Counts/Skaven etc. Just remember that everybody has enemies and being dragged into far too many declarations against big factions is death.

Some of the easier starts for juggling upkeep are Tomb Kings(slow start, wild mid and late game, NO upkeep or recruit costs) and the better Hordes, mostly Vampire Coast, somebody like Noctilus can just rampage freely and ignore the base building part of the game with at most a small defensive lord on the most unpleasant point to reach in the entire map.)

The other big Diplomacy hurdle is to save before you Confederate. The AI cheats at upkeep so when you get their armies you will go from +5k a turn to -50k. You're just honestly gonna have to bite the bullet and disband most of those armies, even cycle through and find the 8 heroes they're running and boot some of them too. Confeds are great especially if you get a money-basket province and a Legendary Lord out of it. Just don't nuke your income and public order with it. You may also inherit some of their problems(i.e. Beastmen/Rogue Army raiding, being set up in the far North in ME and getting first contact with Chaos, etc.)

Last tip is that I think it's clear I prefer a stable empire with a more turtled approach but you can do things like let rebellions happen to feed a Lord kills/gear/gold and to get a public order bonus after the army forms and is crushed. Just be wary, on higher difficulties rebel armies are fast. Spawn at 6-10 unit stack size, enter raiding camp, recruit to a doomstack 20 in 1-2 turns, siege a city.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 15, 2020

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://i.imgur.com/R3y19IH.mp4

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Insurrectionist posted:

How long do diplomatic penalties against destroyed factions last? I was hoping maybe they would start to go away but it's been 7 turns since I wiped out Thegan and the penalties for actions against them have only gone from -101 to -96, with the main -75 one only reducing by a single point.

If you are still referencing the dwarfs, they have a trait called 'holds grudges' which basically means it takes forever for them to forgive anything.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

:stare:

:perfect:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So, to sum up my Legendary Ikit Vortex campaign:

I'm going to be honest, the buying of settlement levels with food has ruined any other faction for me. That removes so much of the tedium I find in regular campaigns.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 15, 2020

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

drat Dirty Ape posted:

If you are still referencing the dwarfs, they have a trait called 'holds grudges' which basically means it takes forever for them to forgive anything.

Did you just suggest that Dwarves forgive? That's going in the book.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

thanks i hate it

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Some pretty good games in Turin's latest tournament video. I especially like the first matchup where one player rolls with a super aggro Dorf rush and actually brings Kroak to a competitive fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCYOgaAFjHk

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

smug jeebus posted:

Did you just suggest that Dwarves forgive? That's going in the book.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
That, and the Skaven "this lord is loyal... maybe too loyal?" are my favorite dilemmas in the game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

thanks for reminding me I need to go see how radious is doing

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what the hell is that thing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Alarielle the Everogre

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

It is perfection.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

thanks for reminding me I need to go see how radious is doing

Alarielle the Ogrequeen (Rat Ogre Chariot) (Blessing of the Lady)

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
alarielle held onto the sword of khaine for too long

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Does the beta patch stop the AI Order factions from steamrolling everything? In every ME game I'm playing, the Empire, Bretonnia, HEs and Dwarfs will always get together and crush everyone around them while being allied to each other.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Ragingsheep posted:

Does the beta patch stop the AI Order factions from steamrolling everything? In every ME game I'm playing, the Empire, Bretonnia, HEs and Dwarfs will always get together and crush everyone around them while being allied to each other.

It doesn't target Order separately from Destruction, so I don't see why it would.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Weren't there autoresolve buffs for some non-order factions? And them staying to their lands more might help as well.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Gort posted:

It doesn't target Order separately from Destruction, so I don't see why it would.

Changing the balance of things might result in different outcomes even if its not a direct buff or nerf.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Not how CA normally teases DLC, but I got to admit Eltharion versus Grom does look good. Glad to see HE finally getting missing units from their tabletop roster.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Playing as dwarfs is much nicer since they added that extra bit of map, it's nice to have options for exapnsion other than down and to the left.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Playing as dwarfs is much nicer since they added that extra bit of map, it's nice to have options for exapnsion other than down and to the left.

Yeah same with Greenskins. You can just stop at the VC border and take over the entire South and East and you should in theory have the short victory conditions settlement demands set. Gotta get Tilea and Skavenblight too ofc

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

I need to post this and the holiday carsteins (and possibly the vladlands) to the OP and I'm trying to reduce the stuff in there dammit

I also did some math recently looking at a guide to the slave mechanic and worked out the slave bonus is a multiplier on the default one. so if you have 25+10+10+10 =45% bonus to slave income, and you put this in a region with 16% income bonus, this will end up with ~24% bonus to income from slavery. This is very important to note and reinforces the bonus from stacking all your slaves in one place.

or to put it another way, you can't just build a stack of slave pens, put one slave in the province and have all your buildings make 50% more money. Makes sense when you're tryping it out :v:

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Man this test patch feels like they ramped the difficulty up a good amount. Started a new Veteran game as empire and dealing with the rebels at the beginning has been a royal pain in the rear end. Giving them that extra fortified settlement southwest of Altdorf with a large garrison was a big power boost, every time I crush an army in the field or take a settlement they just build up a new army in safety there. On top of that a 20 stack of the usual orks showed up about 8 turns in, followed by some new Ork faction wiping out Middenland and fielding two full stacks. In return I've been able to field a second 8 stack army to defend provinces, but that don't do much to help take new territory.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I understand why the lizardmen want to buy my golden idols because that's their thing, they appreciate a good golden idol.

I understand why they want my wood and marble and gems and obsidian and iron, for similar reasons.

I do not understand what they want to do with my dwarf beer. I assume the skinks just get absolutely loving smashed on it. Or maybe the slann! Or maybe the carnosaurs. Who knows? Is there just a caste of lizardmen feeding various kinds of alcohol to various other lizards to see what happens? Is there a sequence on the tablets about this?

What happens if tiq taq to tries to fly his terrordon drunk?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, it really depends on whether he's drunk, the terradon is drunk, or both.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Kroq-gar only wants the best alcohol for Grymloq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

OwlFancier posted:

I understand why the lizardmen want to buy my golden idols because that's their thing, they appreciate a good golden idol.

I understand why they want my wood and marble and gems and obsidian and iron, for similar reasons.

I do not understand what they want to do with my dwarf beer. I assume the skinks just get absolutely loving smashed on it. Or maybe the slann! Or maybe the carnosaurs. Who knows? Is there just a caste of lizardmen feeding various kinds of alcohol to various other lizards to see what happens? Is there a sequence on the tablets about this?

The spawning pools get spiced up with a little secret sauce added to the mix.