Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm pretty stoked that the sequel to my favorite album (Sol, a split between Mare Cognitum and Spectral Lore) comes out tomorrow and that I got a chance to preorder it on vinyl

https://marecognitum.bandcamp.com/album/wanderers-astrology-of-the-nine

If you guys like atmospheric, experimental black metal I highly suggest checking out Mare Cognitum and Spectral Lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Thanks for the sleeve suggestions guys, it definitely helped narrow the field down. And of course since I've knuckled under, might as well start with a flashy purchase:

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
https://twitter.com/recordstoreday/status/1238449470590914560?s=21

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The title of this thread has aged poorly.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
The Vinyl Thread - Bring an N95 Mask

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The Vinyl Thread: good thing we already had OCD to begin with!

The last time I went to a record store (I ended up empty-handed) I found a record with my real name on it and it was really disconcerting.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
That PUSA kickstarter is up to $280k with three days to go, jesus haha. Good for them.

If anyone else preordered the new Purity Ring from their site looks like it's coming signed

https://twitter.com/PURITY_RING/status/1237885995552403457

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
RSD got delayed until June due to coronavirus. Fun stuff!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

The Vinyl Thread: good thing we already had OCD to begin with!

The last time I went to a record store (I ended up empty-handed) I found a record with my real name on it and it was really disconcerting.

You fool! It was left there by you from the future, you were supposed to buy it. God only knows what damage you've done to the timeline!

MrSargent posted:

RSD got delayed until June due to coronavirus. Fun stuff!

If that's the worst thing to come from all of this I'd be delighted. Lots of people are going to be hosed financially.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

CPL593H posted:

If that's the worst thing to come from all of this I'd be delighted. Lots of people are going to be hosed financially.

I wasn't trying to suggest that this is a bad thing compared to everything else going on.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

MrSargent posted:

I wasn't trying to suggest that this is a bad thing compared to everything else going on.

I know. I was just using my trademark annoying shitposting clever snark.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Hey this means I could actually camp out without risking hypothermia. Make RSD Every June.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

pwn posted:

Hey this means I could actually camp out without risking hypothermia. Make RSD Every June.

Funny, I was thinking this means I have to stand in line when its likely going to be 100 degrees by the time the store opens.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Now more than ever.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I just hope they lift the ban on large gatherings here before their show in April - I've been looking forward to that for awhile.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

marjorie posted:

I just hope they lift the ban on large gatherings here before their show in April - I've been looking forward to that for awhile.
The entire tour's been postponed. I'm honestly surprised it took as long as it did considering the average age of the group - even Disneyland shut down before The Residents pulled a tour.

Including the five Residents shows I had tickets to, I've had about 15 concerts postponed in the last two days alone. :thunkgun:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 14, 2020

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

The entire tour's been postponed. I'm honestly surprised it took as long as it did considering the average age of the group - even Disneyland shut down before The Residents pulled a tour.

Including the five Residents shows I had tickets to, I've had about 15 concerts postponed in the last two days alone. :thunkgun:

drat. I actually injured my foot recently so I'm glad a couple of my shows got postponed, but I'll be better by April, and I guess it was just wishful thinking everything would be back to normal by then. I'm up to about 5 cancellations through the end of the month, a few more in April, counting the Residents, which I'm sure will balloon in the next couple days.

In vinyl news, I took a trip to Vancouver, B.C. a couple weeks ago and visited Zulu Records. Can't remember if I got that recommendation from here, but it was a pretty cool shop. Grabbed these and a few others:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I bought a copy of George Benson's Breezin' yesterday, but left it in my car because it was raining when I got back and I didn't wanna get it wet. I didn't get a bag. My car now smells like an old bookstore.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Just use some Febreezin'.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The Half Price Books by me marked down a bunch of their new stock and I was able to get the latest Screaming Females album for $7 after a coupon. Pricing there can be iffy, but someone else might have some good results if they haven’t checked it out recently.

pwn
May 27, 2004

The Raconteurs Vault #43 set I accidentally bought January 30th arrived today. $65 does not afford a protective sleeve for the flexi, apparently.

Package is very nice overall, it is NOT worth the hefty fuckin’ fee, and after I buy the De Stijl XX package in April, I am canceling so hard.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

The Raconteurs Vault #43 set I accidentally bought January 30th arrived today. $65 does not afford a protective sleeve for the flexi, apparently.

Package is very nice overall, it is NOT worth the hefty fuckin’ fee, and after I buy the De Stijl XX package in April, I am canceling so hard.

That's pretty much what a triple LP and a blu-ray would cost you in general so it's not really an outrageous price. Now when they do one of those no effort packages with a colored vinyl version of some regular release with a 7" record and some paper cards or some bullshit, that's a huge loving ripoff.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

That's pretty much what a triple LP and a blu-ray would cost you in general so it's not really an outrageous price. Now when they do one of those no effort packages with a colored vinyl version of some regular release with a 7" record and some paper cards or some bullshit, that's a huge loving ripoff.

You’re not wrong about stuff like Trout Mask Replica, but poo poo, this is a live album and a live Blu-ray. No sleeve for flexi. And Blu-ray is in flimsy packaging that’s going to look like poo poo after a year of shelf use.

Do you get what I mean? poo poo’s like 90% of the way and then they go “meh” and leave it unfinished

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I stopped by Half Price Books today and picked up a Chet Baker album with that 40% coupon today.
Then I went to a St. Vincent De Paul because before I collected records, I remembered they had a shitload of weird records when I went a couple years ago. I got some today. One was an album made to teach people how to type. I also bought an an Up With People album because they are a fascinating cult.

...I left them in my car again.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Detective No. 27 posted:

I stopped by Half Price Books today and picked up a Chet Baker album with that 40% coupon today.
Then I went to a St. Vincent De Paul because before I collected records, I remembered they had a shitload of weird records when I went a couple years ago. I got some today. One was an album made to teach people how to type. I also bought an an Up With People album because they are a fascinating cult.

...I left them in my car again.

My dude, you're just gonna have to break down and get a reusable shopping bag to leave in the car and also forget you have it available.

After much twiddling and frantic Googling yesterday I finally was able to play a record! But, I mostly likely need a new needle as the suspension has collapsed due to old age and I haven't yet tested the equally old spare. We'll see if it gets through Lawrence Welk today but I am not holding my breath.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

:sigh:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Assuming you are bay area, my condolences. I'm from Sacramento and am anticipating a few shows on that list to be cancelled.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Stopped by my favorite local shop today and grabbed these. I’ve never come across a copy of Los Angeles in my casual collecting so I snatched that one up quick.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Was there ever any sort of release of the original score from Return of the Living Dead?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
For anyone keeping score, the spare needle did work today, but as expected the suspension/cantilever/whatever is nearly shot on that one too, thus I ordered the well regarded knock off one direct from Japan. Hopefully international mail doesn't get shut down in the meantime. And I bought a repro overhang gauge/cartridge holder for my player just in case it proves to be impossible to get needles for a cart from 1978 in the future.

Shouldn't really being running records anyways since they're mostly dirty as hell thrift store finds and the record washer ain't here yet.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

For anyone keeping score, the spare needle did work today, but as expected the suspension/cantilever/whatever is nearly shot on that one too, thus I ordered the well regarded knock off one direct from Japan. Hopefully international mail doesn't get shut down in the meantime. And I bought a repro overhang gauge/cartridge holder for my player just in case it proves to be impossible to get needles for a cart from 1978 in the future.

Shouldn't really being running records anyways since they're mostly dirty as hell thrift store finds and the record washer ain't here yet.

Is it belt drive? Because those belts will melt into goo after several years. It's no problem though, all you need to do is get a new belt which is something like five bucks and clean off the goo with rubbing alcohol and you're goo to go.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Is it belt drive? Because those belts will melt into goo after several years. It's no problem though, all you need to do is get a new belt which is something like five bucks and clean off the goo with rubbing alcohol and you're goo to go.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

Um er.... what does the belt drive have to do with the needle retracting so far into the cart that the cart is dragging on the record? Other than this happening my sacrificial record played perfectly. Hell even the lightly scratched up 7 inch worked fine.

Oh now I get it, it's the comment about my filthy records. Most of the crap I have acquired is from the thrift store and some are very noticeably dirty and I would not, and have not, put them on the table. I was just frustrated that I can't give them a proper clean yet because my order of poo poo hasn't come.

edit: Good lord I am definitely a record player noob, I'm currently using my dad's Dual 721 which it turns out is a direct drive table anyways. Thanks Google!

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 16, 2020

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Was there ever any sort of release of the original score from Return of the Living Dead?
I don't think the score itself has ever been released, just the band soundtrack.

Which is still the best soundtrack.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Um er.... what does the belt drive have to do with the needle retracting so far into the cart that the cart is dragging on the record? Other than this happening my sacrificial record played perfectly. Hell even the lightly scratched up 7 inch worked fine.

Oh now I get it, it's the comment about my filthy records. Most of the crap I have acquired is from the thrift store and some are very noticeably dirty and I would not, and have not, put them on the table. I was just frustrated that I can't give them a proper clean yet because my order of poo poo hasn't come.

edit: Good lord I am definitely a record player noob, I'm currently using my dad's Dual 721 which it turns out is a direct drive table anyways. Thanks Google!

I'm a dumb dumb and misunderstood what you were saying is wrong.

caligulamprey posted:

I don't think the score itself has ever been released, just the band soundtrack.

Which is still the best soundtrack.

Oh for sure, that album rules. But I want the score too.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I played an all 45 set for my buddy's 45th birthday the other night. Here it is with some bonus tracks all on 7in 45s. Just some strenge funks.

https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/wedgehead-atom13-45s-at-45/

I always tend to play a quick early set. All the other guys are pro DJs so I'm just the weirdo warmup act.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I’m selling my line magnetic 216IA (tube amp) if anyone in the thread is interested, it currently has stock pre and KT88 power. PM me for details I’d you’re interested, posting up here before I put it... where the gently caress do people sell things these days

Sweeper fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 17, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sweeper posted:

I’m selling my line magnetic 216IA (tube amp) if anyone in the thread is interested, it currently has stock pre and KT120 power. PM me for details I’d you’re interested, posting up here before I put it... where the gently caress do people sell things these days

You could try SA Mart before you resort to the unwashed masses of the rest of the internet. I haven't had a bad experience with it. Unless you count me finding out years later that I bought a copy of The Man Who Fell to Earth from Aatrek.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Decided to hit the record store in a final Last Hurrah as they were shutting down that night. Was it worth it? Probably not. But I got some thangs.

Got a sweet copy of Animal Collective's Tangerine Reef. I didn't know it came with an etched side until I opened it.

This lil guy still had its coupon in the packaging, which is dope. Ralph Records' Buy or Die #14 featuring Mark Hosler of Negativland, The Residents' super chill cover of Hank Williams' Jambalaya (I find a lot of material from this Residents era to be their nadir, but their Hank Williams covers are fanatastic), Snakefinger and Renaldo & The Loaf.

RIP me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

This lil guy still had its coupon in the packaging, which is dope.

RIP me.
1/4/88 :magemage: :godwin: