Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Walking is for suckers everyone knows real traveling is done without moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I get the sense that spice addition is more about when you're used to consuming a certain amount, you can't consume less of it without feeling ill effects?

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Yeah, the blue eyes only come when you're addicted, and you only get addicted if you consume it for long enough consistently like the fremen (or pitter), or if you get a massive dose at once like the bene gesserit reverend mothers. It's brought up somewhere in the first book that even trace ammounts grant all of the good stuff like better health and longer life span, but above a certain threshold you introduce the dependence on it without getting rid of the upsides.

Balls remain blue throghout, though.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

FBS posted:

they don't even look cool tbh

no they do look p good. Interesting take like the harkko corp logo a goon made.

someone repost those those were cool

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Bubblyblubber posted:

It's brought up somewhere in the first book that even trace ammounts grant all of the good stuff like better health and longer life span, ...
It's hard not to read this in 2020 and not see those benefits as slick consumer marketing.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

SniperWoreConverse posted:

They do look pretty cool, but you can't polish a turd.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

numptyboy posted:

They do look pretty cool, but you can't polish a turd.

Yes, but you can extract water from it if the turd's stored in your thigh pads. Not sure where this metaphor is heading tbh.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Prolonged Priapism posted:

That's the exact look I'm going for in my adaptation.

The Harkonnens rose to prominence and noble titles through commerce. They're "new money." It makes sense to me that they'd have a faux-friendly slick corporate identity, which they resent as beneath them as nobility but owe everything to.

Harkonnen colors are given as orange and blue, which depending on the shades can have a mid-century modern feel, like most of Scandinavian design (though they don't use those colors). Like the Gulf racing livery:

"Harkonnen" was supposed to be a Russian/Soviet sounding name, it's actually closer to Finnish. In Cyrillic (Russian alphabet) "Harkonnen" looks like "Xapkohheh" with a slightly tweaked K. Thus my current take on the Harkonnen (commercial arm) look, which will appear huge and imposing on the side of mostly-white, egg shaped spacecraft:

They probably commissioned an ancient/traditional looking coat of arms too, which I'm also working on, featuring the full Xapkohheh name and griffons.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Vlex posted:

There is definitely the feeling that the average person never leaves their home planet.

Yeah the Duniverse is feudal.

Zopotantor posted:

Yeah, that would be kind of hard when all travel you can do is by walking.

This is under Leto II. Under the Corrino rule, people use groundcars, etc just fine.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Flakey posted:

Ah, this is a man who knows that suspensors are the only way to travel.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Afriscipio posted:

Hah, watch this water-fat dumbass get loving wrecked by a Holtzmann-field-effect-enraged big rear end maker (May His Passage Cleanse Us All).

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Flakey posted:

If you trip without rhythm, you wont attract the brain worms.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Afriscipio posted:

No, it’s about shortening the way

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Flakey posted:

Let's see you travel without moving 20 thumpers through the Great Flat, big guy

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

kiimo posted:

Is this that "flirting" thing I've been hearing about?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I am catching up on the thread but I have to thank whomever suggested the Spicediver Alternative Edition Redux because it is by far the best edit I have seen of the movie. Even better than "the insanely complete 3-hour fan edit" I had before. I had to switch my VPN to a server in Belgium to watch/download it on YouTube, but it was entirely worth it.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

kiimo posted:

Hold my Water of Life.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Mentats: The Fremenmaker

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

vortmax posted:

I am catching up on the thread but I have to thank whomever suggested the Spicediver Alternative Edition Redux because it is by far the best edit I have seen of the movie. Even better than "the insanely complete 3-hour fan edit" I had before. I had to switch my VPN to a server in Belgium to watch/download it on YouTube, but it was entirely worth it.
It was probably me, as I basically never stop talking about that version whenever the movie comes up, so you're very welcome!
With a good upscaler, the source version (rather than the youtube-compressed one) becomes absolutely gorgeous to watch.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Mentats: The Fremenmaker

Paul loses scroll declaring kanly, we see him desperately looking for a solution as the jingle plays, cut to Harkonnen court looking impatient waiting for the declaration, cut to Paul eating a Mento and smiling, jingle swells, Paul walks in and lobs Rabban's severed head into Vlad's lap and smiles. His infectious smile breaks the serious mood as laughter ripples through the room. Freeze frame on Paul turning to the camera as he smiles, holding the the roll of candy, as the last lyrics of the jingle play: "fresh and full of the Waters of Life!!!"

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Flakey posted:

So spoke the prophet Jamiroquai.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WeirdlandTales/status/1239361160366956544

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ah, i just got it: it doesn't make thematic sense for guild navigators to mutate into fish-people, but it does make sense for them to become embryotic. human embryos also have tails and webbed hands.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Why is Paul holding up a small turd?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Whole lot of free time now, just starin at screens and poo poo, watching stuff

Be a shame if a teaser dropped now

Real shame

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

D. Ebdrup posted:

It was probably me, as I basically never stop talking about that version whenever the movie comes up, so you're very welcome!
With a good upscaler, the source version (rather than the youtube-compressed one) becomes absolutely gorgeous to watch.

So out of curiosity where would one find the source version instead of the YouTube compressed one?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

vortmax posted:

So out of curiosity where would one find the source version instead of the YouTube compressed one?

torrents?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Admiralty Flag posted:

Paul loses scroll declaring kanly, we see him desperately looking for a solution as the jingle plays, cut to Harkonnen court looking impatient waiting for the declaration, cut to Paul eating a Mento and smiling, jingle swells, Paul walks in and lobs Rabban's severed head into Vlad's lap and smiles. His infectious smile breaks the serious mood as laughter ripples through the room. Freeze frame on Paul turning to the camera as he smiles, holding the the roll of candy, as the last lyrics of the jingle play: "fresh and full of the Waters of Life!!!"

His smile is slightly marred by how red the candy has made his teeth and lips

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I just realised that Fallout's Mentats might also be a Mentos riff.

I liked the Party Time variant where you add sugar and whiskey.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

vortmax posted:

Sent you a PM.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
do u think that paul gets embarrassed when he poos in the stillsuit in front of duncan??? sorry if this ofends anyone but i thought it was a funny thing haha. and i would like to know if any of you have any pics of paul pooping in a stillsuit while he looks nervous or embarrassed i just want to see it for a few laughs haha. another thing i am wondering is what do you think the suits smell like haha im just curious for laughs haha i would like to smell them

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

yaffle posted:

For the sheer symbolism I'm guessing it's a date, but damned if it's not an extremely turdy one

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Turdate. :colbert:

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

i gave him a real piece of poo poo to hold

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Heather Papps posted:

i gave him a real piece of poo poo to hold

THE PAIN!!!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

yaffle posted:

only the slow shart escapes

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

"put your right hand in the book"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

yaffle posted:

The real question is where this waterfat offworlder got his hands on blessed fremen jerky

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

kiimo posted:

The real question is where this waterfat offworlder got his hands on blessed fremen jerky

That is the first Paul. There were multiple versions of some named characters printed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's not Paul, it's his evil ghola Paaul.