Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Charles posted:

Where'd you get your replacement axles?

I'd it was my car,I would swap the left side and right side axel shafts. If the problem changes sides then you know what the issue is. If the problem remains then you can move on to other possible causes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

simplefish posted:

I put some relays in

It drained the battery in seconds, just about got it started though

Next time I stopped it wouldn't start (10 min drive), so i took the relays out

Same after that (again 10 min drive), was only stopped for 2 mins

May be why the PO took them out?

Let's see if my car starts tomorrow - I won't be trying that again!

Starts fine today, hooray!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Dumb question: How hard is doing a EJ20 turbo swap from a WRX/STi into a late 90s Legacy wagon?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Pretty hard since you need the ecu and wiring harness and stuff to go with it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Can someone tell me about TPMS on a 2020 WRX? It's looking like I need a trigger tool AND a quickset? Is that right? I just swapped wheels, but I should have the IDs for the winters from Tire Rack. Just trying to figure out what I need to buy to not go beg someone to do it for me without waiting hours.

E: also looking at the OP for TPMS info, I totally forgot I was active way back then.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

quote:

Dumb question: How hard is doing a EJ20 turbo swap from a WRX/STi into a late 90s Legacy wagon?

Get yourself a donor, have a quick google with the many people who have done it and if you are capable of removing an engine it's frankly easy (removing driveshafts / splitting the engine / gearbox is as hard as it gets) albeit time consuming.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Powers posted:

Can someone tell me about TPMS on a 2020 WRX? It's looking like I need a trigger tool AND a quickset? Is that right? I just swapped wheels, but I should have the IDs for the winters from Tire Rack. Just trying to figure out what I need to buy to not go beg someone to do it for me without waiting hours.

E: also looking at the OP for TPMS info, I totally forgot I was active way back then.

ATEQ Quickset. That's what I have. Save the IDs for the summers, save them for the winters, then you can just swap back and forth. The Quickset can pull IDs from the ECU if you don't know them. I just paid Subaru to set them once when I got the winters AFTER I pulled the IDs for the summers onto the Quickset software so I had both IDs.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

um excuse me posted:

ATEQ Quickset. That's what I have. Save the IDs for the summers, save them for the winters, then you can just swap back and forth. The Quickset can pull IDs from the ECU if you don't know them. I just paid Subaru to set them once when I got the winters AFTER I pulled the IDs for the summers onto the Quickset software so I had both IDs.

According to some table about the Quickset, there is an activator thing I also need, which seems wrong.

E: It looks like it's a bit misleading. If you get new sensors, you can't just punch them in apparently, you have to activate them. That happens really rarely, though. Tool arrives Tuesday, so I'll read out the snows before I get them reset to the summers.

carticket fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 16, 2020

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Does anybody have any recommendations for a good leakdown tester?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

My run of 5 or so weeks without Subaru's infamous paint showing its face has come to an end. Someone at work doored the car and there's a .75" x .25" area mostly missing paint and a vertical line through it.

No note, of course.

No one will have any touch-up paint for this in stock around here, so I'll have to go online. Any suggestions for reputable touch-up paint manufacturers?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Mr. Powers posted:

My run of 5 or so weeks without Subaru's infamous paint showing its face has come to an end. Someone at work doored the car and there's a .75" x .25" area mostly missing paint and a vertical line through it.

No note, of course.

No one will have any touch-up paint for this in stock around here, so I'll have to go online. Any suggestions for reputable touch-up paint manufacturers?
Try Dr. color (or something like that) they did a pretty good match the one time I tried it.

Also all the commercial auto paint shops around me do custom pens, might try that for much faster service.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
spot the driver who doesn't seem bothered https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z85Mn_dUmtw

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Was that a student driver in one of the shots?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Any recommendations for struts that come with springs pre-installed for a '99 Outback Sport? Better than stock handling would be nice, but between putting new top hats on all four corners and these struts being extremely worn out even stock would be better than it has been for a long time.

I was going to have a shop do them, but after getting my pay cut at work I need to DIY this.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

annnnnnd pop goes the radiator on Brokeback.

All of the ones I could find on Amazon that had prime shipping were pushed out to April 21st :stonkhat: except for the most expensive option (Denso). Have both radiator hoses, both transmission cooler hoses, and a radiator on the way from Rockauto for :20bux: more than just a Denso radiator from Amazon... they'll be here at the end of the month. :sigh:

No distilled water at any of the grocery stores either, so I'll probably have to get 50/50 premix.

It cracked at the top, I was able to limp it home by leaving the cap loose and topping it off every mile or so. I keep a gallon of 50/50 on me, used almost all of it in the 5 mile drive home. Never got hot though, smelled coolant and saw steam when I got to a red light right in front of where I was going.

Good thing I have a bike and live so close to work. :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 23, 2020

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, my new WRX feels like it drifts a lot over 70. When there's bad crosswinds it gets knocked around which isn't unexpected, but even when there aren't bad crosswinds I feel like it really gets knocked around. Is it possible the factory alignment is hosed up? It feels fine in turns, it just meanders back and forth when trying to go straight in a lane. I don't know if they did something to the alignment or maybe it's just because it's a stiffer suspension than I'm used to (it has the factory Bilstein dampers). It looks like toe out can cause the wandering on the highway. Is there any way to check the factory alignment specs? I will probably call the dealer about it, since Subaru may have tuned the alignment more aggressively on the series white models.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I’ve seen lots of cars with hosed up factory alignments. Most dealers will skip over that part of the PDI.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I've got one wheel whose camber is marginal. Like, just on the edge of tolerance. Came like that from the factory, and they don't fix it when you have them do alignment.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
For awhile Mazda would ratchet strap their cars to the deck of the ships so hard it would knock the alignment out. Saw lots of cars chew up the original tires in like 10k.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Should I even bother with a dealership alignment or find a better shop? I need to look at my paperwork. They may have given me a PDI alignment report, but I can't remember.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Also are you driving on grooved pavement?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

No.

E: Dealership is doing the alignment under warranty. Apparently you get one in the 36k. I don't think this should really count, but whatever.

carticket fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 23, 2020

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
TBH Subaru dealer aligments have always been bloody terrible. Go with a good shop and get a good alignment

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

TBH Subaru dealer aligments have always been bloody terrible. Go with a good shop and get a good alignment

All the machines are the same. It really depends on if the tech gives a poo poo or not.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Any rebuild kits for Subaru alternators easily available? I'm getting sick of my lights flickering at idle.

FWIW, what I thought was a brand new OEM Subaru alternator is actually a Subaru-labeled rebuild (the sticker has a big Subaru logo, but in small print, identifies it as rebuilt by Mitsubishi Electric). It's been rebuilt recently enough that I'm pretty confident it's just a bad diode. It's easy enough to remove that I don't mind trying my hand at fixing it myself, though I may wait until the shelter-in-place order is lifted to try it (I don't know if parts stores will be considered "essential businesses", and the shelter-in-place order takes effect at 11:59pm tonight).

And... loving previous owners. :argh: Radiator started pissing the other day, but couldn't figure out where. Finally pulled the intake snout to find a funny looking bit on the radiator. Someone's been in here before, looks like with acetone or something similar. :fuckoff: Impressive that an 18 year old radiator made it this long though, even with a hackjob repair.

Engine has not overheated so far (the steam is from the radiator pissing), but revving it up makes it piss coolant out from that crack.. I'm keeping premix coolant with me and topping it off daily (or every few miles if I'm actually driving a decent distance) until Rockauto/Fedex get the new radiator and hoses to me)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 24, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It looks like there aren't any loaded strut options for my '99 OBS, so I'm thinking of buying the struts and springs separately and getting a shop to mount the springs on the struts and then installing them myself. I've used a spring compressor before, but I'm not wild about the idea of doing it by myself in a time when hospitals are getting hammered, and the stay-at-home order issued by the state means I can't go over to my normal wrenching buddy's house to do it (also he works in a nursing home as his day job so I don't want to risk infecting him). And yes, I checked, auto garages are specifically listed as able to stay open.

RIght now I'm probably choosing between GR2s and AGXs, does the AGX change the ride height at all, or does the dial just change how stiff the strut is? I'm happy with the ride height as it is, I wouldn't want to lower it permanently at all. I'll need to order springs, too, should I just order OEM or something else? I also need to replace the top hats, who is the OEM for those? I'd like to make the car a bit more fun to drive, but I don't have any plans of racing it and want to keep it practical for softroading and DD duty.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The dial for the AGX is just a stiffness adjuster. I had GR2s on my 05 WRX, they were fine for a daily driver and a huge improvement over the ~90k struts I pulled off.

The OEM is probably KYB for the tops. Unless there is something wrong with the existing springs, just reuse them.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Was trying to replace the last bad wheel bearing in my 00 legacy. the driver rear axle has frozen into the wheel bearing/flange. tried blow torch, 20 ton press, hammer its all rip. loving subaru bullshit, on a quest now to find the rear axle, hub flange and backing plate at a reasonable price.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Went through that with my front right axle on my 03 Outback (so basically the same as your Legacy, just sits higher). We bent the loving press.

Finally threw it back in the press, cranked down, and took an oxy/acet torch to it for a good 5 minutes with the press cranked down as hard as it would go without bending it even more. Finally got a loud as gently caress *CRACK* once the hub was glowing pretty bright orange that made me think it shattered, right before we gave up. Nope, fucker finally popped out.

That was after an air chisel for ~10 minutes, followed by fire + air chisel. I need to do the hub and bearing ASAP, I think I might just go grab a complete knuckle. The bearing is probably gonna be just as much of a bitch to remove (well, what's left of it, I'm sure a lot of it turned into slag with the way it's howling). There was no visible rust on the axle stub or hub mating surfaces, no clue why it got stuck so bad. No cloud of iron oxide dust when it popped free either.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 26, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wrar posted:

The dial for the AGX is just a stiffness adjuster. I had GR2s on my 05 WRX, they were fine for a daily driver and a huge improvement over the ~90k struts I pulled off.

The OEM is probably KYB for the tops. Unless there is something wrong with the existing springs, just reuse them.

I'd think the WRX GR2s are probably stiffer than the OBS ones, I was also considering trying to find WRX struts that fit (not sure if that's possible since the WRX wasn't in the US until '02, right?) but I'm not sure if the spring perch location would cause the ride height to be lower.

The issue with the springs is that I only currently have one car so I would have to pull the struts, get the old spring off (which would require using a spring compressor, which is what I'm trying to avoid), and then walking ten blocks to the nearest auto shop, while carrying the parts, assuming they're open and will do it.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

STR posted:

Went through that with my front right axle on my 03 Outback (so basically the same as your Legacy, just sits higher). We bent the loving press.

Finally threw it back in the press, cranked down, and took an oxy/acet torch to it for a good 5 minutes with the press cranked down as hard as it would go without bending it even more. Finally got a loud as gently caress *CRACK* once the hub was glowing pretty bright orange that made me think it shattered, right before we gave up. Nope, fucker finally popped out.

That was after an air chisel for ~10 minutes, followed by fire + air chisel. I need to do the hub and bearing ASAP, I think I might just go grab a complete knuckle. The bearing is probably gonna be just as much of a bitch to remove (well, what's left of it, I'm sure a lot of it turned into slag with the way it's howling). There was no visible rust on the axle stub or hub mating surfaces, no clue why it got stuck so bad. No cloud of iron oxide dust when it popped free either.

I tried the press+ torch, fucker was glowing red. I gave up and just replacing all that poo poo. It is weird because passenger side was able to slide out by hand. The drivers side had to get crazy hot from friction to fuse itself.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

We (myself and the DIY shop owner) went at it 3 times with the torch and press before it finally popped free. IT. WAS. A. BITCH. Right at 2 hours once I had the spindle off of the car.

He was swearing enough that I learned a lot of new words that day. And I swear enough to make my dead grandparents do a full on spin cycle in their graves.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Subaru/Flannel Chat: Subaru Dumpster Fire Axles

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Renting a spring compressor from an autoparts store is usually pretty cheap and fairly straightforward to use.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Splinter posted:

Renting a spring compressor from an autoparts store is usually pretty cheap and fairly straightforward to use.

Yeah, the local ones usually do it on their loan a tool thing, I'm just not wanting to gently caress with giant springs when the hospitals are dealing with a pandemic and I won't have anyone else to call the ambulance if I gently caress up and launch a spring into a not immediately fatal part of myself.

E: If I do decide to re-use springs, do they really last 210k+ miles? I would think that they would have started to wear out by now even with how massive they are.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 26, 2020

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Jamal can you help confirm that these are the correct part # (2000 Legacy GT, AT, ej251)

28421AE02C8A- Drivers Rear Axle (AT)
28462AE011- Rear Hub Flange (i already have the bearing)
26704AE050- Driver Rear Backing plate/splash guard/anchor for parking brake

The parts guys i have called are clueless and I have been screwed by ordering online before.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, the local ones usually do it on their loan a tool thing, I'm just not wanting to gently caress with giant springs when the hospitals are dealing with a pandemic and I won't have anyone else to call the ambulance if I gently caress up and launch a spring into a not immediately fatal part of myself.

That is a valid concern, have you used them before? There is a risk, but if you tighten/loosen with a hand tool (as opposed to power), work carefully/take your time and tighten/loosen each compressor somewhat evenly, the risk is fairly low imo.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Jamal can you help confirm that these are the correct part # (2000 Legacy GT, AT, ej251)

28421AE02C8A- Drivers Rear Axle (AT)
28462AE011- Rear Hub Flange (i already have the bearing)
26704AE050- Driver Rear Backing plate/splash guard/anchor for parking brake

The parts guys i have called are clueless and I have been screwed by ordering online before.

Appears correct, but oem axle prices are pretty nuts (also I just get 20421ae02c, not sure what that "8A" is for). I've had napa ones in my car for a pretty long time with no issues and they were like $80 a piece.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

jamal posted:

Appears correct, but oem axle prices are pretty nuts (also I just get 20421ae02c, not sure what that "8A" is for). I've had napa ones in my car for a pretty long time with no issues and they were like $80 a piece.

It doesn't appear that Auto axles can be purchased outside of Subaru. Or is that incorrect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'm not sure what would be different as far as the rear axles are concerned, or what would be different from 00 to 01-04, but yeah I am seeing different parts for all those things. I think I would still take it out and try to compare it to a parts store axle before spending $400 at a dealer though. Annoyingly, the length measurements in the fsm are between the boots, or don't exist at all, and different axles use different cvs and splines so it isn't really useful to compare one model to another. Aaaaand 2004 fsm lists 5 different rear axles. cool.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mHXB1YaXQKXZa4rWOFOKS9t105outY9S

I thought I had one for a 2000 legacy as well but the power supply on my pc exploded the other day.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 27, 2020