Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
For context, there's at least one confirmed case of community spread in Ohio.

Twitter is very mad at Mike Dewine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm not so sure closing down all the schools and day cares aren't going to make things worse....Wtf are the parents that have to work supposed to do?

Especially all the health care workers that are going to be desperately needed.....If they have children that need to be looked after while they're working how the gently caress is that going to help? Talk about a catch 22 in the worst way.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

meatpimp posted:

Ohio's governor just closed all bars and restaurants in the state, effective at 9:00 tonight. They can still remain open for carryout/delivery only.

Ohio seems to understand how serious this is. They were the first to admit to having a massively under-reported infection count, too.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'm not so sure closing down all the schools and day cares aren't going to make things worse....Wtf are the parents that have to work supposed to do?

Especially all the health care workers that are going to be desperately needed.....If they have children that need to be looked after while they're working how the gently caress is that going to help? Talk about a catch 22 in the worst way.

If only the federal government would pass a mandatory sick leave policy...

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
So many people live paycheck to paycheck and this forces them to loose their paycheck. And stores are empty, not that they have money.

This is all so wrong. There is no winning.

I got emailed by my boss on a Sunday and its not good. I give my job until the end of the week. If I get paid on Friday I will be lucky.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

sharkytm posted:

Ohio seems to understand how serious this is. They were the first to admit to having a massively under-reported infection count, too.

It's a Republican governor, and I'm inclined to disagree with his moves, but credit where it's due -- he's listened to the science and made strong, difficult calls that needed to be made. I'm absolutely on his side right now.

rdb posted:

So many people live paycheck to paycheck and this forces them to loose their paycheck. And stores are empty, not that they have money.

And at just about the same time he announced the restaurant and bar closure, he announced that he was signing an executive order giving people that are out of work because of coronavirus unemployment. Another strong, good move.

Good luck on this week, rdb. :ohdear:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I just got back from my great aunt and uncles (elderly, 81 and 88) and one of their friends (80s) is a die hard fox news/rush limbaugh guy and is completely convinced its still a hoax. My uncle talked to him today, holy poo poo. The friend has lots of health problems and cant get around well, he wouldnt make it if he got it, no way.

rdb posted:

This is all so wrong. There is no winning.

I got emailed by my boss on a Sunday and its not good. I give my job until the end of the week. If I get paid on Friday I will be lucky.

poo poo man, good luck

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
All bars and restaurants are closed in Illinois too. poo poo is getting weird

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

My company is busy as gently caress and we're only about 22 employees. Most of the leadership are "gently caress the libruls" types and I can almost guarantee are going to infect the whole god drat office. No way are they shutting down.

Last time we had a foot of snow predicted I said I wasn't going to come in and just work from home, and my boss turned to another employee and commented about the pussification of america right there while I was still standing there. I wanted to go off so bad. But like everyone I'm a god drat wage slave with almost zero safety net. "back in your day" a car wasn't a major chunk of your income and the highways weren't stuffed with idiots bent on destroying it. Fuckin assholes.

At least I'm in a moderately recession proof industry, metal food and beverage packaging (cans). We have ups and downs but they're usually unrelated to the economy, and we're in a boom right now due to the plastic backlash. We'll probably even see a short term uptick due to the stockpiling surge.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I'm considered "essential" so I still get to work during a state of emergency. My badge even says so, I feel important!

I am most definitely not essential. I do get a silly amount of sick time though, naturally I get bitched at if I even think about actually using it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Well my manager is off getting tested for sharona virus now... would be good if we hadn’t been stuck in close proximity to him all loving Thursday last week...

And a teacher at the better half’s school too! Came down sick over the weekend

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Motherfucking chiropractors are going around saying they can "BOOST YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM AND STOP CORONAVIRUS"

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/ch...rom-coronavirus

Alberta has closed all schools including post secondary until September. Day cares too.

Work is going to be a gongshow for so many people. My job is to literally go to end user sites and work with clients on technical problems, but there were already sites last week not allowing non-employees on site, I imagine it will largely be universal next week.

Lets hope the chinese model of closing up shop for a few weeks/couple months is able to get a handle on this.

Upside: My favorite comedian is still doing shows

https://youtu.be/hoYUX3gqZs4

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

redgubbinz posted:

I'm considered "essential" so I still get to work during a state of emergency. My badge even says so, I feel important!

I am most definitely not essential. I do get a silly amount of sick time though, naturally I get bitched at if I even think about actually using it.

:same:

e:
I've got an incredible amount of conference calls lined up this week. So I took today to throw together about 8 hours worth of vinyl only DJ sets; mostly deep house and trance, mostly lacking in vocals. Plus one good hour long Disco set, and one 30 minute set of nothing but ABBA remixes.
I've got my large diaphragm mic, laptop and Focusrite 4i4 set up and all ready to go.
I'm looking forward to dubbing in the conference audio over my sets and have a stack of very weird experimental noisemusic ready for when the conferences inevitably devolve into incoherent off-topic ramblings.
I'm debating on livestreaming the whole thing or just piping the sets directly back into the conference (sans conference audio input of course.)

Sadly, I am considered "essential" personnel so I doubt I'll ever actually get to make that call.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 16, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So this is what martial law looks like.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

tetrapyloctomy posted:

... if this thing truly is airborne and not droplet.

Last guidelines we received here in a Swedish ER is that it's likely droplet and our "normal" face masks should protect in most cases (not cpr, procedures in infected patients mouth.

Right now we are testing everyone with any one symtom, and they have to go through special rooms and stay there until negative tests are returned. I heard we are running out of tests soon though. So far no Corvid19 here though.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Panic buying is a hell of a drug. Supermarkets are just cleared out here in Melbourne. I was lucky to find a good deli that still had some dried beans, tinned tomatoes and a ham hock, so it's baked beans for us!

In brighter news, I saw the best Subaru today, classic 80's wagon with the most amazing "Enduro" decals on it. I think it was this exact car

If you don't want one of those, you're dead inside.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

What if I’m just barely smart enough to never want any Subaru, ever

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
California is closing all bars/clubs/brewpubs and limiting capacity in all restaurants/no service at the bar. Gyms and all other entertainment venues are closed. I was just at the CVS and they're out of everything. Shuttering the 5th largest economy in the world to own the Cons.

But yeah, it's the big gay ~*THE MEDIA*~ , a worldwide community that acts in lockstep, that is doing this to hurt poor strongdaddy trump like our resident Brain Genius was saying. I hate when reporters report true things I don't like also!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Ether Frenzy posted:

California is closing all bars/clubs/brewpubs and limiting capacity in all restaurants/no service at the bar. Gyms and all other entertainment venues are closed. I was just at the CVS and they're out of everything. Shuttering the 5th largest economy in the world to own the Cons.

But yeah, it's the big gay ~*THE MEDIA*~ , a worldwide community that acts in lockstep, that is doing this to hurt poor strongdaddy trump like our resident Brain Genius was saying. I hate when reporters report true things I don't like also!

Yeah, it's going to be hell on the service industry. Most of these folks are paycheck to paycheck at best.

My only hope is that all the tech-bros who never learned to do things like cook loving starve in their overpriced apartments.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's going to be extremely hard on a LOT of people.

My company has $2.5bn cash on hand and I'm an 18 year salaried employee who doesn't make more than I should for what I do, can do everything from home, and have a million high end allies in HR, Legal and Finance. I'm still making GBS threads myself.

Imagine if driving Uber was your main gig. JFC.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Any AI goons who are struggling in the Seattle area are welcome to set up a hobo camp in my backyard, rice, lentils and unlimited water will be provided.

Of course one of our "clients" let someone come back from Italy a week ago then attend a house party, and now everyone's having trouble breathing and has fevers, so I'll probably give you the virus.

OTOH, anyone who gets it can pet Rosie.

Come Join Elviscat's 2020 pandemic compound!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tremek posted:

What if I’m just barely smart enough to never want any Subaru, ever

You'll still be dead inside.

slothrop posted:

In brighter news, I saw the best Subaru today, classic 80's wagon with the most amazing "Enduro" decals on it. I think it was this exact car

If you don't want one of those, you're dead inside.

I'ld love to restore one, they are just sooooo much fun

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Nice early morning email today from the CEO saying if you can work from home do it. I'm at a customer site so can't do it 100% but between that, my doctors recommendation and my wife's pleading I'm pretty much going to be on lock down for a couple weeks. Go in today to take care of a couple things I wasn't able to last week and run things by the customer.

Wife is borderline essential personnel but until the orange rear end in a top hat in charge puts the government on lock down she's stuck going into work. She's mostly isolating herself in her office out of fear that she'll bring it home and give it to me.

Stay safe goons and wash your drat hands. Stop touching your face!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

MrOnBicycle posted:

Last guidelines we received here in a Swedish ER is that it's likely droplet and our "normal" face masks should protect in most cases (not cpr, procedures in infected patients mouth.

Right now we are testing everyone with any one symtom, and they have to go through special rooms and stay there until negative tests are returned. I heard we are running out of tests soon though. So far no Corvid19 here though.

That's basically how we're operating so far, but not being able to give nebs to asthmatics in allergy season without putting on an N95 and gown is going to suck.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That's basically how we're operating so far, but not being able to give nebs to asthmatics in allergy season without putting on an N95 and gown is going to suck.
Yeah. Seems to be working so far though, even if it's a PITA. One case of Corona that slips into our lung medcine ward would suck...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

tetrapyloctomy posted:

... you realize that our biodisaster response capacity was gutted by this administration, right? Maybe you realize that response was markedly delayed by disproportionate emphasis on the economic impact as opposed to the epidemiological risk? The "LOL BOTH SIDES ARE THE SAME" response is a few years out of date.

Regardless of which party is in charge or who sits in the White House we'd still have the same stretched thin/nearly to the breaking point, designed to maximize profits for shareholders and not maximize access to health care or patient outcomes for-profit health care system.

Which would be compounded by the same "many workers lack adequate or any sick leave in addition to adequate or any health insurance" issue that would still be present regardless of who is in power.

It's not "both sides do it" as much as our system of delivering health care is fundamentally hosed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Stay safe goons and wash your drat hands. Stop touching your face!

I can't! Touching my face is amazing and I can't stop!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, it's going to be hell on the service industry. Most of these folks are paycheck to paycheck at best.

My only hope is that all the tech-bros who never learned to do things like cook loving starve in their overpriced apartments.

You mean I can't survive on Mountain Dew and Doritos? :smith:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Liquid Communism posted:

Where I work does lunch everyday and people are already complaining about having to feed themselves. Some asked for compensation to cover delivery while they are not allowed in the office.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KillHour posted:

I can't! Touching my face is amazing and I can't stop!

JUST TOUCH YOUR DICK LIKE A NORMAL GOON

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BigPaddy posted:

Where I work does lunch everyday and people are already complaining about having to feed themselves. Some asked for compensation to cover delivery while they are not allowed in the office.

It amazing to me how many people can’t even boil loving water. I can’t imagine having to live on microwave dinners and chips, I wonder how many people in this country live on an entirely processed food diet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It amazing to me how many people can’t even boil loving water. I can’t imagine having to live on microwave dinners and chips, I wonder how many people in this country live on an entirely processed food diet.

Processed poo poo is cheap and easy to make. Actual healthy food takes time and effort.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I have told a bunch of people to go buy an instant pot, put in sauce, put in meat, leave it to cook for a couple of hours. This seems beyond their comprehension.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BigPaddy posted:

I have told a bunch of people to go buy an instant pot, put in sauce, put in meat, leave it to cook for a couple of hours. This seems beyond their comprehension.

Our local supermarkets have bare produce, deli, and butcher sections. Lots of dry goods shelves empty. Bakery is OK.

The frozen foods section is completely stocked up. So now I have twenty-plus frozen meals in the freezer and none of the stuff that's usually in there, the pantry, or the fridge.

On a similar note. Tried to get some anhydrous isopropyl alcohol to clean cat piss out of keyboard electronics - everywhere's completely sold out. Morons buying it because lower-purity and hydrous isopropyl alcohol is sold out, and it's sold out because double-morons are buying it to make homemade hand sanitizer. JUST USE SOAP, PEOPLE!

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 16, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dad's pretty shaken up, being told he had it and then not and now he's pretty scared by his risk group. So I'm going over to do some shopping for him tomorrow, hopefully I can find what he needs.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I went to costco yesterday. The shelves were barren.
There was no pork or chicken, no paper products or cleaning products of any kind except tide pods.

Luckily there was plenty of brisket, flap meat, and fish so I'm set for a while.

I mean I have like a month's worth of soups and chili and the freezer so I'm set for a while regardless but now I'm back to baseline after not going grocery shopping for like 2 months.

That's about 1/4 of the meat department at my store the other day, but the rest looked the same. NOTHING. No meat at all. A few of the typical microwavable sides you see in meat depts, but nothing else.

Paper looks like this every day by noonish (right side is all TP, left is paper towels, far wall is buttwipes):

Cleaning stuff tour last night (not counting laundry, but laundry was pretty barren except for Gain for some reason). They even took the Mrs Meyers Clean Day stuff, which normally doesn't sell at all.

Meat was fully stocked (overstocked really) when I left this morning. TP was decently stocked, but still sold out in an hour. Produce was onions, potatoes, cabbage, apples, and oranges, not much else. Cleaning got a shocking amount of stuff. Dog food is a barren wasteland, cat is getting the same way. Laundry got a full 5 pallets of Tide crap and less than 2 layers of a pallet of bleach:

(that was definitely gone within 15-30 minutes of open)

FWIW, my boss talked to us this morning and said my dept alone moved nearly half a loving million items in the past week. That's double what we normally do on a busy holiday week. And we're out of so. much. poo poo. He thinks it would have been at least double to triple if we actually had stuff on the shelves.

Obligatory:

NO LO BALLRS. I NO WUT I GOT. WILL TRADE FOR 1989 IROC-Z, CAMMED 350 4 BARREL, OR 2019 CHEVY DUALLIE DURAMAX. WILL INCLUDE WHISKEY SCENTED HAND SANITIZER FOR EXTRA $500

LloydDobler posted:

At least I'm in a moderately recession proof industry, metal food and beverage packaging (cans).

YOU HAD ONE JOB

I seriously felt like that thing was a bomb about to go off (and that's how it showed up in the flat). But seriously, anything related to groceries is much more recession proof than most industries. People always need to eat. They'll cut back on the higher end stuff, just like they are now - which is why the grocer I work for is basically only shipping necessities right now. If they actually shipped everything we're out of, we'd be working 30 hour days trying to restock. Instead they're (smartly) sending the necessities and a few luxury things here and there. I found out today we've even brought in outside vendors (Pepsi, Coca Cola, etc) to haul our trailers from the warehouses at this point, because we flat out don't have enough drivers (between company drivers and the contracted drivers they keep on call for the big oh poo poo moments). This is a company that has a private plane, helicopters, etc on standby to move drivers around when the poo poo really hits the fan, and we're still overwhelmed.

It's going to be a shitshow once this passes; that's when we're going to start getting all of the other stuff again. They're smart enough to slowly trickle it out, but management thinks it'll take us 2-3 months to fully recover AFTER customers return to normal spending habits. The shelves are so empty that we're basically stocking a brand new store every night. We're doing crowd control at the door right now (like that link describes) despite being fully staffed, simply because we can't handle thousands of people in the store at once, despite being one of the larger stores in the company.

I'm glad to be working for this company right now, but it's so loving weird when I walk out in the morning, past the huge line of customers waiting to get in, dirty as hell and sweaty, and people are... thanking me for keeping the shelves stocked. I don't know how to respond to people thanking me for just doing a basic job of throwing poo poo on shelves all night. People regularly thank me if I'm still in the store stocking when we open. Feels weird as hell to get thanked for just doing a basic job.

slothrop posted:

Panic buying is a hell of a drug. Supermarkets are just cleared out here in Melbourne. I was lucky to find a good deli that still had some dried beans, tinned tomatoes and a ham hock, so it's baked beans for us!

My store has been sold out of dried beans for days. We're getting canned tomatoes (and canned beans) in daily, but they fly off the shelf within a couple of hours of open.

I'm doing Mexican-style pinto beans right now.

BigPaddy posted:

It's not a crockpot, even the toughest meats are falling apart just from breathing on them after less than an hour.

The Prong Song posted:

The frozen foods section is completely stocked up. So now I have twenty-plus frozen meals in the freezer and none of the stuff that's usually in there, the pantry, or the fridge.

Frozen is a mixed bag at my store. Veggies? Nothing. It'll be packed out (as in fully stocked and then even more crammed in until poo poo is falling off the shelf), and it's all gone by noon. Breakfast is pretty empty. Ice cream is full. Frozen dinners, somehow, are still remaining relatively well stocked, even when I show up before they get restocked. Pizzas, except for Red Baron and one really expensive brand we carry that doesn't ever sell (a REALLY tasty pizza, but $13 for a frozen pie...), are disappearing as fast as we can stock them.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 16, 2020

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

quote:

They found that, overall, 36.6 percent of adults – about 85 million – consumed fast food, including pizza, on a given day. The percentage was higher for people between the ages of 20 and 39 (44.9 percent) and 40 and 59 (37.7 percent).
- https://www.safetyandhealthmagazine.com/articles/17784-nearly-37-percent-of-americans-regularly-eat-fast-food-study-shows
Found that pretty amazing. Between that, people that can't/don't/won't cook and everything else it offers a pretty sad picture of America in general...no surprise.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Never thought I'd say this but thank god for fortnite and online games, it's keeping my son busy and he's able to hang out with his friends that way. Helps keeps his mind off of this anyway which is good.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

NitroSpazzz posted:

- https://www.safetyandhealthmagazine.com/articles/17784-nearly-37-percent-of-americans-regularly-eat-fast-food-study-shows
Found that pretty amazing. Between that, people that can't/don't/won't cook and everything else it offers a pretty sad picture of America in general...no surprise.

JFC. I eat fast food once a week at most (usually more like a couple of times a month, unless you count a locally owned sandwich shop that uses preservative-free, nitrate-free meats that also happens to be super cheap - almost Subway cheap, but better in every possible way). I don't eat healthy at home, but I'm not eating burgers and fries every day either, and the only fried foods I eat at home are tortilla chips I just finished cooking a pot of beans, and I have a batch of chicken tortilla soup cooking now. About to throw some rice into the rice cooker, and I have fresh tortillas (made this morning from the tortilleria at work) to compliment everything. I make my beans without lard or bacon grease, so they're considerably healthier than your typical pinto beans.

My lunch at work is usually a high protein/fiber cookie from the health food section (a big mofo, but it's supposedly all natural, preservative free, vegan, etc) or a Clif bar; breakfast (if I have it) is usually granola with milk. I know that combo turns me into a walking methane factory, which is part of the reason I eat it.. it keeps coworkers away. :laffo: We generally have a dedicated aisle that we work alone, but it's a good way to run off manglement sometimes. I gassed Good Grocery Manager the other day inadvertently though.. got a "did you...." me: ".......... uhhh... *childish giggle*" GGM: "*fingers crossed in an X pattern while backing away* motion". I genuinely feel bad about that, he's a great guy to work with/for. I tried to save the really bad bombs for rear end in a top hat Grocery Manager, but he's someone else's problem now.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 16, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have many friends employed at the local GM Plant and the current word is that management has said that there is no plan to shut down at any point, even if there is a lock down/quarantine.

Which is on brand for GM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Automotive illustrator has uploaded some line drawings for any car-obsessed kids (big or small) to colour in...

https://twitter.com/thefinaltenth/status/1238745007575703552?s=20