Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

Making the songs that slow down time and let you jump ahead 12 hours be secrets that are never documented in game was an incredibly stupid decision, the time loop gimmick already has a pretty heavy interface tax to begin with but arbitrarily making such a major gameplay element just completely inaccessible to anyone who didn't buy a players guide or be plugged in enough to look it up online did them no favors.

My recollection is that they're nearly impossible to miss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nostradingus posted:

I am one of those lucky few who somehow wind up countering statements like this

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nostradingus posted:

I learned it from the strategy guide but the Zelda wiki says you learn it when the scarecrow says

quote:

I know of a mysterious song that allows you to manipulate the flow of time... ... If you play that mysterious song backward, you can slow the flow of time.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

the time loop gimmick already has a pretty heavy interface tax to begin with

What's an "interface tax"? I tried searching for the phrase and didn't get any relevant hits. Is it because the clock on screen is too prominent or something?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Len posted:

I learned it from the strategy guide but the Zelda wiki says you learn it when the scarecrow says

Isn't the scarecrow, like, completely unmissable? Right in front of you in one of the few places you have to go in the first cycle?

I forget if it's that scarecrow, or the one in the general store that the first scarecrow explicitly sends you to.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Nostradingus posted:

I wasn't very good with english when I played Majora as a kid and still figured it out

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's been a minute but pretty sure it's the store scarecrow, so it's one of those things that's missable but you kind of have to go out of your way to miss it

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In Red Dead Redemption 2 the game will occasionally do the classic western bit where you walk into a saloon and the piano stops and everyone turns to look at you.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Necrothatcher posted:

The only downside is that it'd look incredible in 1080p60 and that's never going to happen as it seems locked to the original Xbox forever.

There's quite a few games on the original Xbox that I would love to get ported elsewhere but it seems like it's never going to happen.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

grittyreboot posted:

In Red Dead Redemption 2 the game will occasionally do the classic western bit where you walk into a saloon and the piano stops and everyone turns to look at you.

I'd love to see a version of events where the main cowboy walks in to a saloon and nothing happens, because he's just a customer, there've been hundreds that day and to expect a special reaction to just him showing up in narcissistic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

grittyreboot posted:

I've also seen it do the other western bit where you walk by the saloon just in time to see a dude get chucked straight through a window in the middle of a bar fight.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's a subset of players who hate it whenever things are unavailable or locked off to them. These are the players that refuse to do anything that looks like advancing the plot until they've done every sidequest just in case those sidequests become unavailable later on, and get mad if they missed one and thus can't have a "perfect" savefile. I don't understand it personally, but there's a fair number of people like that, so they can't be entirely discounted when designing games.
It's pretty simple: If I'm enjoying a game, I probably want to play all of it. But that doesn't mean I want to re-play it. So if I miss a side quest then it's just a bit I never got to play because I'm not going to redo all the mandatory bits leading up to it just for that one thing. So yeah, if a game has side quests then I'm going to attempt to do all of them before advancing the story. I'll look them up if I can, and be very annoyed if I miss any.

I feel like even having content that can be inadvertently missed is catering to that tiny fraction of the audience who want to play the game multiple times. Most people either won't finish the game at all or will want to play the whole thing the first time, because there won't be a second.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Rising had the solution to this with a bar that showed you how long you had left before the sidequest vanished.

edit: They may have introduced the bars in 2, come to think of it, I haven't played the first game for many years so I don't remember off the top of my head.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
It also just let you gently caress around if you fail the time requirements. And your Frank’s level will carry over so if you’re having trouble you just need to play around, gain some levels, and try again when you’re stronger and know where better weapons are.

The game also ramps up the number of zombies that are in areas as the game goes longer. The first area on day three is a sea of zombies while on day one there are only a few.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

moosecow333 posted:

It also just let you gently caress around if you fail the time requirements. And your Frank’s level will carry over so if you’re having trouble you just need to play around, gain some levels, and try again when you’re stronger and know where better weapons are.

The game also ramps up the number of zombies that are in areas as the game goes longer. The first area on day three is a sea of zombies while on day one there are only a few.

BA-DUNG.

BA-DUNG.

OWWWWWwwwwww.....

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug
Honestly, been thinking on the nature of games myself lately. I think ONE of the reasons Majora's Mask was so beloved, and even Ocarina of Time, in america, is that kids likely got those games bundled with an actual strategy guide. I have fond memories of 100%'ng everything BECAUSE of the guidance offered in those things, as well as just gamefaqs'ing things seperately. Don't underestimate the value of actual guidance people sought out back in the day, basically. They 100% hold up without them, sure, but I think they also went a long way to smooth any creases

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Kind of reminds me of a video where James Rolfe and Mike Matei were playing an N64 Star Wars game (Shadows of the Empire) with James's old nintendo power, but when they got to a part that needed the guide, that very section was missing because James as a child had cut something out of it. He had no idea what it was, it was an unusual shape, so it's like he was just trying to screw his future self. :3:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

The only downside is that it'd look incredible in 1080p60 and that's never going to happen as it seems locked to the original Xbox forever.

Oh wait it is possible with (I think) a softmodded Xbox 360:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR9hfZnZQc8

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

BioEnchanted posted:

Kind of reminds me of a video where James Rolfe and Mike Matei were playing an N64 Star Wars game (Shadows of the Empire) with James's old nintendo power, but when they got to a part that needed the guide, that very section was missing because James as a child had cut something out of it. He had no idea what it was, it was an unusual shape, so it's like he was just trying to screw his future self. :3:

Can someone find this clip? It sounds wonderful.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Can someone find this clip? It sounds wonderful.

Here's where they get stuck enough to consult the guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpt9faBMOgs&t=1191s

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man, I absolutely love Majora's Mask

It's just so, so good in general. It's also one of the only games today shoot for the dark, dreadful tone and don't massively overshoot the mark on it. It creates such a unique, depressing atmosphere as the world comes to an end that it makes you really want to save it.

Especially when you first start playing the game and don't know the side quests. Your first few loops you'll only be able to watch as everything slides further and further to despair and you see the confident likeable characters end up crying and begging for their lives.

The thing it does really right though is it doesn't force you in ham handed cutscenes to look at things in a clumsy attempt to show you how "real" it is. In fact I didn't even realize how bleak it could get until I was a lot older.

But I'll never forget first discovering the ranch and their fate, then trying and failing to save them on the next loop when I was a kid. I felt genuinely awful about it and was motivated all the more to fix it.

And the music as the moon comes crashing down..

Man it's just such a masterpiece of a game. The more you learn about the world the more rewarding it is when you finally save it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm not usually okay with buying ports of games that I already have but I would legit buy MM on Switch day 1. It's the best Zelda game and I will throw hands by the flag pole after school about it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

I'm not usually okay with buying ports of games that I already have but I would legit buy MM on Switch day 1. It's the best Zelda game and I will throw hands by the flag pole after school about it.

What's lame about how good Majora's Mask is, is that the 3DS remake kind of sucked by just kind of not getting it and taking out a lot of small things that had some weirdly long term impacts. Like how the deku pond skipping works completely differently in the remake, making some basic jumps really hard.

Know what's good though? Pikmin 2. I was playing it again, and being able to use cannon beetles to clear out an entire floor of enemies before punching it to death never gets old. The best way to play pikmin 2 is to never use your pikmin until necessary, punch everything.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nuebot posted:

What's lame about how good Majora's Mask is, is that the 3DS remake kind of sucked by just kind of not getting it and taking out a lot of small things that had some weirdly long term impacts. Like how the deku pond skipping works completely differently in the remake, making some basic jumps really hard.

What else was bad? I vaguely remember that and a few other things, but thought they were outweighed by the good changes, especially how time warping was changed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Hygiene posted:

What else was bad? I vaguely remember that and a few other things, but thought they were outweighed by the good changes, especially how time warping was changed.

You can't just spikey-wheel Goht to death, you have to shoot the crappy eyeball weak point.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I never would have bothered with Majora on the N64. Having a normal save-system, a proper RPG-style quest-log, a 30FPS framerate, and all the extra fast-travel points make it impossible to go back from.

The new Twinmold fight kind of blows for how hard it is.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Every boss has a kinda dumb BIG EYE weakpoint now. They made swimming weird, but I might just be remembering it as way more intuitive in the original than it really was. This kind of stuff doesn't really matter too much, but if you don't like the new swimming mechanics it makes like a fourth of the game really bad, and two of the bosses (the fish and twinmold) got pretty hefty overhauls wheras the other two are just "hit them, then shoot eye" which feels unnecessary but isn't dramatic. I can't really think of any other notable changes off-hand.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I remembered the MM boss changes, I guess they were kind of a wash for me - Goht was worse, the fish was better, the others didn't really make much impression. And honestly, it was long enough between playthroughs that I never would've noticed a change to swimming, myself. So I guess I can get that people don't like those changes, but they never really overwhelmed me.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd love to see a version of events where the main cowboy walks in to a saloon and nothing happens, because he's just a customer, there've been hundreds that day and to expect a special reaction to just him showing up in narcissistic.

That only really happens if you bust the doors open by running through them. If you walk calmly through the door, like the type of local you are describing, Noone bats an eye.

Speaking of the RDR2 saloon piano player, I realised while I was playing poker that the pianists animation is more or less matched up accurately to the correct part of the keyboard for each of the songs. The game is so full of details like that. The world building and feeling of "weight" you have as you mount your horse/walk around etc is fantastic and it's something rockstar obviously worked hard on. I find most other 3rd person open world games lacking in this regard (looking at AC).

RDR2 was a day one purchase for me on console, so it isn't just the honeymoon period talking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuebot posted:

Every boss has a kinda dumb BIG EYE weakpoint now. They made swimming weird, but I might just be remembering it as way more intuitive in the original than it really was. This kind of stuff doesn't really matter too much, but if you don't like the new swimming mechanics it makes like a fourth of the game really bad, and two of the bosses (the fish and twinmold) got pretty hefty overhauls wheras the other two are just "hit them, then shoot eye" which feels unnecessary but isn't dramatic. I can't really think of any other notable changes off-hand.

The Swimming change is waaaaay better. There's a slower default speed, but Shadow Milk makes burning magic to go full-speed inconsequential and the Beaver Dam races are no longer completely hosed if you miss a single ring on your first try and have to correct for another shot.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

is that what they call glory hole adventures these days

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Chateau Romani. It is late and I am tired :zzz:.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

More like Shattered Romani :P

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Majora's Mask had a great atmosphere,but to me, it hit a point where the darkness was just so baked in, it made it hard for me to be really affected by it anymore. I can only take so many repetitions of people being terrified and depressed before I just don't care anymore.

Then again, maybe that's just the depressing atmosphere affecting me and it's actually working really well.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's also that it starts darker than Ocarina ended, Ocarina's later plot arcs were "Oh no witches have mind controlled a woman and put her in a suit of armour!" which is serious but in a whimsical and unreal way. Majora started with "A monkey is about to be horribly executed due to a misunderstanding!" which is way more "real" in a lot of ways.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

It's also that it starts darker than Ocarina ended, Ocarina's later plot arcs were "Oh no witches have mind controlled a woman and put her in a suit of armour!" which is serious but in a whimsical and unreal way. Majora started with "A monkey is about to be horribly executed due to a misunderstanding!" which is way more "real" in a lot of ways.
And ends with the deku butler sobbing at having lost his son forever since it happened outside the time loop that Link fixed
:dealwithit:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

that monkey was "Harambe ", the vile ape.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Hehe, I've just bought a PS2 game for £1, Space Invaders: Invasion Day

It's the basic space invaders gameplay, but also a bullet hell game, strafing behind varying cover fighting waves of enemies dodging increasingly tricky bullet patterns while trying to kill them. The bosses are kind of fun, although I'm terrible at bullet hell and died a lot, with the only reason I beat the game at all being that it had infinite continues. The main difficulty is that each time you continue it wipes out your score, so that's the replay value, get better at the game, get hit less and get a better score.

It also has an adorably goofy moment right at the end where the final boss is like "Oi, stop invading us!"and the main character's like "What? You're the invader here!" and he retorts "You've been invading our space with your RADIO WAVES fuckers!". I laughed so hard that it actually went there. Also of course the final stage includes a boss rush, but with one difference - the final boss in the rush, rather than being the expected 5th boss, is a small ship with a bunch of adds that rotate around it that you have to kill - one of his attacks is to line up the adds in a neat row, move across the screen, and move closer then move the other way. He attacks you in the classic Space Invaders maneuver. It's a fun game, let down by the fact that you have to mash the button, you can't just hold to continuously fire.

Also in relation to the spoilered part: The default High Score names are YOU, ARE, THE, INV, ADE, R! So amazingly cute that they went there. The game is so adorably earnest.

I'll try to go back to it some day to see if beating all three characters unlocks a secret story, because the ending of the first one seemed to imply that it would. It depends on if it will let me save it after I beat it, apparently it's supposed to ask your name. It may have been that I hadn't created the save file yet, but I have done now.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Mar 17, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Going back to Dead Rising 2, back when I was recording the game most guides said to forget about trying to fight most early psychopaths or trying to save everyone until new game+, but they didn't take into account that you could create a survivor death squad by handing out rifles, telling them to wait somewhere safe, then just dodge-tanking the psychopaths while your squad rained hell on the boss :allears: I managed to save everybody this way on a new game, and even had some points on day 3 where there was literally nothing to do for a while. The game manages to actually be pretty generous with the timers without feeling like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

And ends with the deku butler sobbing at having lost his son forever since it happened outside the time loop that Link fixed
:dealwithit:

Also you were wearing his son's face the whole time.