Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Grocery stores and pharmacies are the only things left open in Italy, and only a few people are allowed in at a time.

Ireland's doing it slightly differently
https://twitter.com/Paul_Doherty__/status/1239233239820238848?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I like how Lightfoot keeps trying to not do stuff and JB says lol no

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Can't believe they're not going to postpone the primary given everything else.

Kind of hard to justify encouraging thousands of elderly people to stand in line when we've closed schools and restaurants.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 15, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

quote:

ACTIONS TO PROTECT STATE WORKFORCE

Gov. Pritzker also announced that he has directed state agencies to implement plans for a temporary reduction of government functions and workforce while maintaining core functions and essential operations.

Select employees will continue to report to work; while the remaining workforce will either work remotely or be asked to remain home on call while receiving pay. All state employees will continue to be paid during this period.

Over the next several days, the Pritzker administration will finalize these plans and update state employees and the public. The Office of the Governor will remain fully operational throughout this period.

It's lit.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/natashakorecki/status/1239283830957146112?s=20

FYI if you or anyone you know is in need.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Gotta say, I'm impressed by our big, fat, toilet-destroying governor.

(I voted for him, but still...)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I agree, Pritzker has been a surprise to me. It's nice to see at least competent leadership at the state level, trying to offset the incompetence at the federal level.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Man, I have a lot of friends who work at local bars and restaurants. I really hope the state has a good plan to provide help for them.

It's the right decision, but this part bothers the hell out of me. Like, Steak n Shake itself will be fine, but what about the waiters and waitresses?

Some rural independent places around here - like a bar in Clinton - have already said they'll defy the order.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

This would be a permanent policy in a sane country

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

dwarf74 posted:

Man, I have a lot of friends who work at local bars and restaurants. I really hope the state has a good plan to provide help for them.

It's the right decision, but this part bothers the hell out of me. Like, Steak n Shake itself will be fine, but what about the waiters and waitresses?

Some rural independent places around here - like a bar in Clinton - have already said they'll defy the order.

They would get unemployment I believe is what JB has said

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

brugroffil posted:

This would be a permanent policy in a sane country

This should honestly be a permanent policy for ALL people, not just children.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

I know ACAB but Pritzker's should send a SWAT team to shut that place down to make a point.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dexo posted:

They would get unemployment I believe is what JB has said
Right. But having never been in that situation I can't assess how workable a solution this is.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

The X-man cometh posted:

I know ACAB but Pritzker's should send a SWAT team to shut that place down to make a point.

SWAT followed by loss of license renewal, the end, no moral.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's really bizarre that our billionaire governor who looks like a comic book evil villain is more progressive and proactive than Lightfoot.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Some places clearly having a normal one.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
On the one hand, I totally get their frustration and I hope the government (state likely since the federal is doing fuckall) does something to help them.

On the other hand, they can gently caress off. They wouldn’t be acting the same way if this were a coastal state and the governor just issued mandatory evacuation orders. This is no different.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Thwomp posted:

On the one hand, I totally get their frustration and I hope the government (state likely since the federal is doing fuckall) does something to help them.

On the other hand, they can gently caress off. They wouldn’t be acting the same way if this were a coastal state and the governor just issued mandatory evacuation orders. This is no different.

Needs to be a federal response since states can't print money

But thanks to the wh and Senate that will happen far too late if at all.

I think most people still aren't getting the ramifications of shutting down the entire service industry indefinitely yet

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Thwomp posted:

I emailed my banker about loans/credit lines and he responded with the necessary applications and a thing from the SBA saying that loans will be available to businesses that don't have lines of credit from the SBA directly for up to $2M at 3.75%, which is....not great! The terms can be up to 30 years, though, sooooooooooo???

We're wrapping up things here to close down Tuesday night (small wholesale liquor distribution) - we haven't gotten any YOU NEED TO CLOSE messages, and could probably stay open with good social distancing, but right now we can afford to pay people/insurance through what looks like the middle of May, then out of my own pocket for a few more, after which...welp!

Still no word from my insurance agent about whether COVID-19 qualifies us for continuation coverage (so we'd get replacement money upon re-opening, and boy, this sure feels like a time when it would pay out, but hahaha, insurance), so that's exciting. Just really exciting.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

How are small businesses going to pay back loans taken out to cover rent and payroll for ????? If they're closed for??????

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Guys, if you’re a registered voter 18 or over and not a party functionary or candidate, check your local county clerk website and sign up to be an election judge. Lots of regular volunteers are bowing out due to age because of coronavirus and they need so many judges or else polling places can’t open.

You get paid 200 bucks if you stay all day Tues.

Importantly, you get 170 if you volunteer on the spot to be an emergency election judge to help open or keep open a short staffed polling place (at least in Cook co)

Hours are 6am-7pm on Tuesday March 17.

They’re holding emergency training sessions in some counties today.

A list of all county election authorities for the state of Illinois can be found here:

https://www.elections.il.gov/ElectionOperations/ElectionAuthorities.aspx

Even if for some dumbass reason you’re not currently registered remember IL has same day voter registration so you can register when you show up for training.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

brugroffil posted:

How are small businesses going to pay back loans taken out to cover rent and payroll for ????? If they're closed for??????

If the terms are long enough, it shouldn't be too big of a hit, but yeah! yeah.

Just...losing our customer base while the other distributors stay open! what a terrifying thought.

https://www.sba.gov/disaster-assistance/coronavirus-covid-19 for anyone that wants the deets

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Dexo posted:

Some places clearly having a normal one.

Why is a pizza place so pissed off? Delivery and takeout are still an option. That looks to be in a strip mall, so does it even have sit down tables?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Popete posted:

It's really bizarre that our billionaire governor who looks like a comic book evil villain is more progressive and proactive than Lightfoot.

I wish he could be mayor too :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Orvin posted:

Why is a pizza place so pissed off? Delivery and takeout are still an option. That looks to be in a strip mall, so does it even have sit down tables?

Nope, Rosati's never has tables inside.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Apparently that one does? I don't know how they'd fit 150 people in there.

https://herald-review.com/news/loca...fd077d6b87.html

quote:

“I did it myself because he (Pritzker) had no business shutting my business down,” said Brandon, 57.

She’s been running the restaurant, which seats up to 150, for the last year and said trade has been good. But she fears being able to survive a forced shutdown of this magnitude.

“I just don’t know, I couldn’t tell you if we’ll make it,” she added. “But I doubt it.”

“Look, there have been no reported cases (of coronavirus) in Christian County,” added Brandon. “And yet he (Pritzker) wants me and my servers to go without income for two weeks. Is the government going to pay us? Hell no, they’re not. Pritzker is a (expletive, expletive). He needs to go.”

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well that's just weird, it seems like violation of some cosmic code to sit down at a Rosati's.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Deathlove posted:

Still no word from my insurance agent about whether COVID-19 qualifies us for continuation coverage (so we'd get replacement money upon re-opening, and boy, this sure feels like a time when it would pay out, but hahaha, insurance), so that's exciting. Just really exciting.

hey y'all did you know it's standard in continuation coverage to have "closed due to virus" be non-payable since SARS? insurance is fascinating!

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Deathlove posted:

hey y'all did you know it's standard in continuation coverage to have "closed due to virus" be non-payable since SARS? insurance is fascinating!

Yeah, usually government decreed closings are exempt.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

beejay posted:

Apparently that one does? I don't know how they'd fit 150 people in there.

https://herald-review.com/news/loca...fd077d6b87.html

gently caress this person. The restaurant industry has been paying slave wages for decades and counting on customers to pay the wages. I loving guarantee they have been voting GOP and against worker's rights their whole life. Restaurant owners are their own level of scum.

If there was any doubt:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

xzzy posted:

Well that's just weird, it seems like violation of some cosmic code to sit down at a Rosati's.

I have sit down at a Rosati's before, but it is definitely more of a takeout place. I think most restaurants and bars can survive a two week shutdown, otherwise they were living on thin ice to begin with. If it extends past that though, we could see a lot of places just close up shop unless the government offers some assistance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And now the surgeon general is saying quarantines may last two months. So yeah poo poo is gonna get ugly unless someone can convince president cheeto to do something.

Pritz (and state governors in general) is doing all the right stuff but I get the feeling the capacity states have to help households and businesses survive up to two months with no income is gonna be insufficient.

Maybe it's time to buy seeds and turn the lawn into a garden? :v:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also I would encourage all of y’all to call your reps and senators and tell them to vote for real paid sick leave and other relief instead of the half measures that passed the House.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

dwarf74 posted:

Right. But having never been in that situation I can't assess how workable a solution this is.

after a waiting week (maybe this is waived now) you get half (roughly) your prior wages for 26 weeks . post 08 the weeks got extended to 99 but the money amount didnt get upped

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Deathlove posted:

Yeah unfortunately an event that hits every business simultaneously and wipes out all income isn't coverable. It's like flood insurance, which is a national program and individual companies don't cover it - it's just too much loss, all at once. Insurance depends on everything they cover not having huge losses all simultaneously.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Anybody know if the dispensaries are still operating?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Anybody know if the dispensaries are still operating?

I'm medical and my dispensary just sent out an email saying online order and pick up is all that is available. No other services are being offered including consultations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Good advice from my brother who works for IDHS:

If your job is going to be closed bc of covid19 I’d suggest going to Abe.illinois.gov tonight and filing a SNAP & Medical application.

Temporary job loss still counts as job loss. Even if you don’t qualify for SNAP for March, you will for April and who knows how long this might drag on.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Just found out that my store is going to only be open 10-6, but they're not cutting anyone's hours, so that's not bad. Means I won't be doing any dog training for a hot minute though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Gorson posted:

gently caress this person. The restaurant industry has been paying slave wages for decades and counting on customers to pay the wages. I loving guarantee they have been voting GOP and against worker's rights their whole life. Restaurant owners are their own level of scum.

If there was any doubt:

I'm going to jack off when she dies of pneumonia.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)