Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Ventilators only have a 5 day lead time on Alibaba.

More seriously though, what's the patent situation on them? If you had a manufacturing facility and wanted to start cracking them out is the government providing a (opensource/expired patent/royalty free) design or are you expected to come up with your own?

e; FTSE 100 is a stock exchange that hasn't been doing too peachy recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CareyB posted:

And what about the hundreds of countries where the virus is spreading that aren’t being locked down?

They're also going to suffer massive numbers of preventable deaths until they do.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Angepain posted:

new goon project. how hard can making a ventilator be. i'll make the wiki

3. ????
4. Profit!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

CareyB posted:

And what about the hundreds of countries where the virus is spreading that aren’t being locked down?

Well unless they have categorically stated that they're not going to, that's not much of an argument.

Countries that haven't until now are starting to lock down.

Egypt, Saudi Arabia, UAE etc are beginning to lock down. Qatar is locking down Doha except for cargo and transit flights.

Egypt has closed schools and universities and has now gone as far as to remove compulsion on Friday Prayers (which is very radical as until now it has been compulsory for mosques to hold Friday Prayers).

It's only just begun to hit other African countries https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/coronavirus-spreads-african-countries-200313153229327.html

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
it'll be like the "we need to fit this into this using only this" scene from apollo 13 but making hospital equipment out of anime merchandise

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The other thing about poo poo like ventilators and all medical equipment is they need to be reliable.

Can't wait to wipe out entire wards at a time as British Brand Ventilators start failing and suffocating everyone.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Don't know if it might help but after I get back home tomorrow evening, I'm going to start doing 'lung strengthening exercises' I found online and maybe drop a few kg to relieve pressure on heart and lungs!

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
I know the two are not the same, but honestly the last 72 hours reminded me of the Kursk disaster in 2000. When it happened, the Russian government stuck with its orthodox policy of not accepting any help from outside, basically treating the deaths of those on that submarine like oh well, you know what you signed up for. Then they made an error. They said that they head knocking from inside the sunk submarine and it gave people hope. And then they said we'll do daily briefings. With every single hour that passed more and more people started getting antsy and started openly saying why the gently caress the government is doing nothing. It seemed the pressure was released when a mother of one of the submariners started screaming at a briefing. She basically lost it and had to be restrained and forcibly removed. A lot of time has passed since then, but I still remember that woman's screams.

I know the British press don't have any integrity, and the British people would form a polite line and would let the government sodomize them, but I sincerely hope someone loses their poo poo at the briefing tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Angepain posted:

it'll be like the "we need to fit this into this using only this" scene from apollo 13 but making hospital equipment out of anime merchandise
Failure is an option if it’s economically advantageous

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm less optimistic in that I hope after it goes to hell people screaming at least get on the news in some remotely accurate fashion.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Don't know if it might help but after I get back home tomorrow evening, I'm going to start doing 'lung strengthening exercises' I found online and maybe drop a few kg to relieve pressure on heart and lungs!

Pretty sure dropping a few kg in a single evening is inadvisable in these times of low toilet paper.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

bornbytheriver posted:

I know the two are not the same, but honestly the last 72 hours reminded me of the Kursk disaster in 2000. When it happened, the Russian government stuck with its orthodox policy of not accepting any help from outside, basically treating the deaths of those on that submarine like oh well, you know what you signed up for. Then they made an error. They said that they head knocking from inside the sunk submarine and it gave people hope. And then they said we'll do daily briefings. With every single hour that passed more and more people started getting antsy and started openly saying why the gently caress the government is doing nothing. It seemed the pressure was released when a mother of one of the submariners started screaming at a briefing. She basically lost it and had to be restrained and forcibly removed. A lot of time has passed since then, but I still remember that woman's screams.

I know the British press don't have any integrity, and the British people would form a polite line and would let the government sodomize them, but I sincerely hope someone loses their poo poo at the briefing tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

Nothing can change the hearts or minds of the gammon, not even the suffering or deaths of their own family and friends. It's a brain problem

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I'm less optimistic in that I hope after it goes to hell people screaming at least get on the news in some remotely accurate fashion.

Multiple people loudly coughing in the audience would be good. If anyone asks just say "herd immunity, innit?"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Continuing the eastern european updates for Czech Republic, a full quarantine has been declared with police enforcement (meaning people are supposed to stay at home and police can ask them where they are going and fine them if it's not home/work/shopping/exercise), all borders have been closed, almost all shops have been closed except for licensed tradesmen, pretty much anywhere where people gather, like theatres/cinemas/libraries/concert halls/universities/hotels/restaurants/pubs has been closed.

All with zero deaths (though 2 patients are in critical condition) and somewhere around 300 cases.

Now to be fair I think it's among the most strict in the world. Wonder how effective it will be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Good on them, hopefully they're also trying to ramp up care capacity as much as possible too.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

FTSE100 futures are down ~7.2%, will likely trigger breakers on opening.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder what happens if it hits 0. Does that mean capitalism died?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder what happens if it hits 0. Does that mean capitalism died?

buy Buy BUY

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I definitely like the idea of the stock numbers as the boss health bar for capitalism.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

typical really. you spend ages chipping away with your Electoral Vanguard fighter when some plagueomancer casually drops a save-or-suck DoT, the boss flubs the dice roll and just keels over

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just had a thought and a big lol.

I wonder how that lad from the article who made thousands on the stock market and bought a beemer rather than go to college is feeling right about now.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
I mean a degree is gonna be useless in the post-coronabrexit wasteland, and you can weld some spikes onto a beemer pretty easy. So p. good I'd think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could buy a corsa and a lot more spikes for that money. And it probably already comes with half the body kit installed and holes pre drilled in the muffler.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Is it possible at all that the coronavirus is actually just a parasitic lifeform that coerces its host to pass national legislation that actively promotes the spread of itself?

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

qhat posted:

Is it possible at all that the coronavirus is actually just a parasitic lifeform that coerces its host to pass national legislation that actively promotes the spread of itself?

No, you're thinking of the Tories.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Sorry for pulling that out from a bit back but the fact that the vast majority won't need to be hospitalised is right. 20% does not a vast majority make.

Not that it helps matters much since 20% of 70% of 66 million is still far too loving many for the NHS to cope with if they flood in.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I mean, I don't know if I'd call 80% a "vast majority". It is a majority, yes.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It seems like every year I spend away from the UK the more glad I get that I got the gently caress out when I did. This virus is going to leave behind piles of bodies in every neighbourhood across Boris' Britain.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

WhatEvil posted:

I mean, I don't know if I'd call 80% a "vast majority". It is a majority, yes.

80% won't need to go to hospital though which is what the original quote was about. If Covid-19 was hospitalising the "vast majority" of people who contract it then this would be a whole different ballgame.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the other hand it would solve climate change if that were the case, though it might also end civlization.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

https://twitter.com/_paulmonaghan/status/1239244749468565504?s=21

Sorry for the poorly linked tweet. But Scottish schools preparing to shut for up to 4 months. How the hell can we manage that, I’d normally palm the kids off to grandparents, but that’s not feasible now.

Thankfully mine are only Primary age, but could you imagine if you’re sitting your Highers.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
They’re all preparing for 16 weeks, Arlene dropped that bombshell over the weekend, it’s just that Boris isn’t being transparent about it.

Its probably not a coincidence that those 16 weeks take you roughly to the end of the academic year, and that nets them another 6 weeks of summer on top, along with the 3 weeks of term/half term holidays.

The longer they delay the more of it sits within existing childcare arrangements and arranged leave.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Total Meatlove posted:

The longer they delay the more of it sits within existing childcare arrangements and arranged leave.

“Existing childcare”, which is usually grandparents. Who hopefully haven’t died.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Oodles posted:

“Existing childcare”, which is usually grandparents. Who hopefully haven’t died.

Absolutely, it’s hosed and parents in key workers groups, looked after children provision, kids on free school meals, provision for teachers/staff with underlying health issues, the DfE needs to be leading on this and it’s just not.

On top of that, there are a lot of international students being pulled from the UK by their parents/ leaving themselves, but no guidance on whether their visas will expire.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Total Meatlove posted:

They’re all preparing for 16 weeks, Arlene dropped that bombshell over the weekend, it’s just that Boris isn’t being transparent about it.

Its probably not a coincidence that those 16 weeks take you roughly to the end of the academic year, and that nets them another 6 weeks of summer on top, along with the 3 weeks of term/half term holidays.

Imagine having to sit major exams under those conditions. If I had to motivate myself to study from home for four months before my GCSEs I'd have failed the lot of them.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

stev posted:

Imagine having to sit major exams under those conditions. If I had to motivate myself to study from home for four months before my GCSEs I'd have failed the lot of them.

There was talk that the uni exams could be sat from home. So, it’s safe to say everyone would cheat.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I suspect I have it - I felt rubbish yesterday then a little better and thought hey, that was quick. This morning I feel like there's boiling dog poo poo pulsing through my head and every time I cough it gets worse. My fever has also got worse

I keep trying to think about how this will affect the economy (lol) as if nobodies getting paid for anything - then what?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Munin posted:

Sorry for pulling that out from a bit back but the fact that the vast majority won't need to be hospitalised is right. 20% does not a vast majority make.

Not that it helps matters much since 20% of 70% of 66 million is still far too loving many for the NHS to cope with if they flood in.

You're right, i incorrectly thought that some of the 80% of mild cases still needed hospitalisation, and that the 20% was just "needed supplemental oxygen". Checking the Chinese figures again though, that's not true.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

blunt posted:

FTSE100 futures are down ~7.2%, will likely trigger breakers on opening.

The LSE doesn't have an exchange-wide circuit breaker in the same way the NYSE does, but individual (per-company) breakers triggered on more obscure measures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojo
Jul 4, 2003

Well... when I said that I had a plan, I meant that I have to plan... the plan.

I'm freaking out a little bit reading the British government's response to corona, and seeing my family post on facebook. I've been living in Norway the past 9 years and we are on complete lockdown, meanwhile the rest of my family over there are just merrily skipping around like nothing is happening, and doing nothing to isolate my grandmother. I tried to talk to my aunt about it and she said that they're just taking life as usual with care and listening to the government.

It's surreal, I'm doing nothing out of the usual by the standards here, but to my british relatives I might as well be walking around in a burlap sack screaming that the end is nigh.