Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

nooneofconsequence posted:

how much volume does it take to replace weight? Is it linear? Is 50 reps with 20 lb equal to 5 reps of 200?

Doesn't work like that. You need enough of a load to generate stimulus. Which I think is around 40%. You also need to get close to failure in a set about 1-2 reps shy for hypertrophy 2-4 for strength.

In your example 200x5 gives you a max of around 235lbs meaning you need around 95lbs. You could probably hit under 40% all day in a single set without nearing failure if you're cardio is on point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Yesterday I did a home workout with my meager equipment and I still wound up sweating my rear end off. Going to take a while to come up with a routine, but I might have a whole lot of time to figure that out.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

nooneofconsequence posted:

how much volume does it take to replace weight? Is it linear? Is 50 reps with 20 lb equal to 5 reps of 200?

It depends from person to person but roughly speaking adding a rep to a set equals roughly 2.5-3% drop in weight

So if you can do 100kg for 1 max effort plan for around 87.5-90kg for 5 (at max effort) for example

This will vary from person to person and lift to lift. Also if you go outside your normal rep range you might suffer a bigger dropoff

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The risks in going to the gym during the coronavirus pandemic, explained by experts

tl;dr: keep your distance from other people, wipe down your equipment before and after you use it, don't touch your face, and stay home if you feel sick.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

ultrafilter posted:

The risks in going to the gym during the coronavirus pandemic, explained by experts

tl;dr: keep your distance from other people, wipe down your equipment before and after you use it, don't touch your face, and stay home if you feel sick.

I was pleasantly surprised to see everyone going H.A.M. on the disinfectant at the gym yesterday. The cleaning crew was emptying the trash cans left and right because they were so full of paper.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah the disinfectant wipes are going fast at my gym.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

My gym has spray bottles and paper towels. And hand sanitizer, but I wonder how long that will last.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
YMCA staff and most of the patrons were on top of wiping down stuff.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Switched my fitness goals from pure strength to looking good in my Lord Humungus costume. Also myprotein is selling weight gainer for half off if you are looking to not lose any weight during quarantine

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Hopefully coronavirus is going to get people into habits they should have had already.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Picked up my stuff from the gym today and there were a few people there most of them over 60 :wtc:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Anyone got a beginner rowing program, like a couch to 5k sort of thing?

I bought a half decent machine maybe 10 years ago and never got much use out of it except as a coat rack as 1) cardio sucks and 2) I cut through the wire to the screen when putting it together so none of the tracking works. Now seems like a good time to try to make the investment worth it, and get my lungs in better working order for when I eventually leave the house.

edit: Obviously the program would need to be for time and tempo or something as I can't read distances off it.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 15, 2020

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

sassassin posted:

I bought a half decent machine maybe 10 years ago and never got much use out of it except as a coat rack as 1) cardio sucks and 2) I cut through the wire to the screen when putting it together so none of the tracking works. Now seems like a good time to try to make the investment worth it, and get my lungs in better working order for when I eventually leave the house.

Work on form for a couple weeks doing medium effort for 20-30 minutes until you are good at it and then go from there?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bomb posted:

Work on form for a couple weeks doing medium effort for 20-30 minutes until you are good at it and then go from there?

This is the sort of objective I'm looking for a program to achieve, chief. Would you tell someone asking for a kettlebell plan "just swing it around for a few weeks until you've got good form and go from there"?

Looking at this type of thing atm.

https://www.britishrowing.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/BR_Go_Row_A4_Beginners_Training_Plan_P3.pdf

sassassin fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 15, 2020

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

sassassin posted:

This is the sort of objective I'm looking for a program to achieve, chief. Would you tell someone asking for a kettlebell plan "just swing it around for a few weeks until you've got good form and go from there"?

that's like half his posts, yeah

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather

sassassin posted:

edit: Obviously the program would need to be for time and tempo or something as I can't read distances off it.

I’ve been using this

https://breakingmuscle.com/amp/workouts/an-8-week-training-plan-for-the-beginner-rower

edit: it uses distances for some days tho :(

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Surely there's an app that will yell "stroke" at me in the right tempo...

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Use a metronome. Set it for something between 20-25 BPM, so 2-3 seconds for a full stroke.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

sassassin posted:

Looking at this type of thing atm.

https://www.britishrowing.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/BR_Go_Row_A4_Beginners_Training_Plan_P3.pdf

I would say yes, start with a lighter kettlebell and work on form the first couple weeks and then move up from there. No reason a newbie can't finish a whole session of simple and sinister.

You could probably use the timer from couch to 5k to do it and instead of running just row hard?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
When people end every suggestion they make with a question mark, are they trying to sound lovely and condescending, or just emulate a valley-girl upward inflection?

Notice I'm asking a question there. Which is why I used a question mark at the end of that sentence.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Everyone and their grandmother are coming out with "Gym's Closed" workouts now. It was a good portion of my Youtube feed. This isn't directed at anyone, just a general observation.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Important thing with rowing machine is not to pull too fast. If you're trying to improve quickly, temptation is just to pull a higher strokes per minutes, which can drill bad technique. Better to stick with a low strokes per minute and see how fast you can get with that. Like 20 spm or below, and focus on improving there. Then when you do go for the max effort PR and you pull at 30+ spm, you'll have strength to spare and better technique. My 2000 meter PR is 6:47 for what it's worth.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Batterypowered7 posted:

Everyone and their grandmother are coming out with "Gym's Closed" workouts now. It was a good portion of my Youtube feed. This isn't directed at anyone, just a general observation.

Got to generate content still you know? I'm finding it helpful though, it's good for getting ideas since the sky seems to be the limit for at home stuff and might as well make it varied and interesting if I can't do the main lifts

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Fill something that can be filled with heavy objects.

Then lift it like you lift regular weights in teh gym

You can read more in my book for only 29.99

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

gohuskies posted:

Important thing with rowing machine is not to pull too fast. If you're trying to improve quickly, temptation is just to pull a higher strokes per minutes, which can drill bad technique. Better to stick with a low strokes per minute and see how fast you can get with that. Like 20 spm or below, and focus on improving there. Then when you do go for the max effort PR and you pull at 30+ spm, you'll have strength to spare and better technique. My 2000 meter PR is 6:47 for what it's worth.

18-20 spm felt pretty slow and took a bit of getting used to, yeah.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

its good thing ive always sucked at the gym because not going for a few months is unlikely to make a huge difference.

take that swole people!!!

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I found my first ab vein and it's only day one.

Prepare for the rule of the basement workout dungeon class.

Why would you ever need a gross of barbells they laughed! Well who's laughing now???

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
My 60lb kettlebell was delivered. Staring at the box, I realized now I needed to bring it to my 4th floor walkup...

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Power stairs every third/fourth step.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Strongly considering ordering a heavier kettlebell. Don't like the odds of accidentally smashing something in my tiny home though.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Just did a round of my own frankencircuit and I am d-e-d ded. Pushups into chinups into KB swings into KB split squat into KB goblet squat into KB front raise into KB curls. All with this new 60lb dumbbell.

At first I thought I was going to just do one circuit like every hour or whenever I remember to get up from my desk, but since I'm already a sweaty mess, I probably should just turn this into a regular once-a-day routine with multiple sets and let that be that. I figure I suck now, but I'll get better at it as I do this daily.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

This is the simple and sinister intro I recommend to everyone:

https://youtu.be/DObtLVIUKtg

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've been at my gym for probably a full decade now.

Break up with them via email or should I phone?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Just ghost and keep paying that note like that poo poo aint nothing

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Fallows posted:

Just ghost and keep paying that note like that poo poo aint nothing

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
With the gyms closed I don't have to feel guilty about working out at home. :kiddo:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The only guy I know there from when I first joined has just left to become a police officer apparently so I don't feel as guilty emailing them now.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
luckily the gyms in my country aren't closed because our Prime Minister is a big fat idiot!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

My local gym closed today and won't open again until April 1st at the earliest. I thought I'd just use whatever machines the apartment complex I live in has in their fitness center, but that's closing too. gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MikeCrotch posted:

luckily the gyms in my country aren't closed because our Prime Minister is a big fat idiot!

This barely narrows it down.