Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Baronash posted:

I don’t for a second believe most voters could even articulate what NAFTA is, much less take a position on it.

You obviously don’t live in the Midwest where NAFTA gutted much of the manufacturing industry and destroyed the livelihoods of thousands.

They still remember and have worked hard over the years to get revenge on anyone that voted for it. It is a big reason not only why there aren’t many elected officials left from that time frame in this part of the country unlike elsewhere but also why much of the Midwest went from solidly Blue to a mix of Red and Purple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rick posted:

I can't believe I DVRed a debate and watched the whole thing. Even 2016 me is laughing at me.

You DVRr a debate between Joe Biden L and Joe Biden R

It is so great that. The dem establishment basically said 'we need Trump voters to win the election' and propped Joey B

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Djarum posted:

You obviously don’t live in the Midwest where NAFTA gutted much of the manufacturing industry and destroyed the livelihoods of thousands.

They still remember and have worked hard over the years to get revenge on anyone that voted for it. It is a big reason not only why there aren’t many elected officials left from that time frame in this part of the country unlike elsewhere but also why much of the Midwest went from solidly Blue to a mix of Red and Purple.

Yeah, and you don't need to know the ins and outs of NAFTA policy debate for "Joe Biden helped send your jobs to Mexico, here's a clip of him celebrating it" over video of abandoned factories to resonate. It's gonna be a thing. Just a question of how many people hate Trump enough to drag their rear end to the polls in the rust belt.

After Trillbillies brought it up, I'm also a little worried about how his main policy plank of "I'm Obama's best friend" will play in Pennsyltucky (the rest of the coal country is so out of reach that it doesn't matter except for downballots). Can't wait to potentially see 50 ads about The War on Coal/Also Fracking.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

yeah im sure Biden core group of olds will turn out for him

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Djarum posted:

Careful. D&D is home to many turbo NAFTA defenders who won't see their neoliberal baby besmirched.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

CowboyKid posted:

Supreme Court Justices. Federal court justices.

Think big picture. Conservatives have a majority already. RBG's spot will be chosen by the next President.

Do not skip voting out of spite for the process.

Biden

quote:

• Pushed us into the Iraq War. Is a fan of Eternal War. (Although he himself is a 5-time draft dodger.)
• Created barriers to bankruptcies for poor people.
• Made student loans immune from bankruptcies.
• Tried to kill social security. (Four times.)
• Pushed the Crime Bill, explicitly moved to expand the prison population. (Including stopping parole, and trying to ban bail.)
• Is pushing for oil industry fracking (still, in 2020).
• Completely anti-womens choice (Anti Roe-Wade, Pro-Hyde, publically claims women do not have rights to their own bodies).
• Pushed various "No Child Left Behind" stuff while making fun of poor children.
• Drafted the original PATRIOT Act. (Under another name.)
• Anti-privacy, pro-surveillance state.
• Also anti-encyption (presumably because his friends in the banks dont want to be held accountable, and his friends in the police state hate it).
• Pro War on Drugs. (Actually was the one pushing Reagan to the right on this. Pushed the RAVE Act.)
• Pro Death Penalty. (Actively worked to expand the death penalty.)
• Claims cannabis is a "gateway drug" and wants to go back to the no-brakes War on Poors Drugs.

Biden has bragged on camera about trying to defund Social Security, Medicare, and Veterans Benefits. To Congress.

He really wanted it known that he attempted to kill Social Security four times:

https://twitter.com/schackspelar/status/1239380409487699968

Aside from being a warmonger that loves putting Amercans in prison when theyre not at war, he is also so racist that Henry Kissinger was trying to explain ethics to him:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/the-us-has-no-obligation-biden-fought-to-keep-vietnamese-refugees-out-of-the-us

quote:

Joe Biden, the 2020 Democratic presidential front-runner and advocate of large-scale immigration, once tried to block the evacuation of tens of thousands of South Vietnamese refugees who had helped the United States during the Vietnam War.

As a senator, the future vice president, now 76, was adamant that the U.S. had "no obligation, moral or otherwise, to evacuate foreign nationals," dismissing concerns for their safety as the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong swept south toward Saigon in 1975.

quote:

Kissinger said there were “Vietnamese to whom we have an obligation,” but Biden responded: “I will vote for any amount for getting the Americans out. I don’t want it mixed with getting the Vietnamese out.”

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Just lol if you honestly think Biden wouldn't nominate a conservative shitheel to be a Supreme Court Justice in order to "reach across the aisle."

Biden desperately wants to be a Republican, he'll do whatever Mitch wants as long as he thinks he'll finally get invited to one of their pizza parties.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Even odds Biden has to be talked out of nominating a Republican running mate.

Honestly, I'm going to be quite surprised if the Biden campaign does anything that doesn't actively spite Bernie supporters. They've been extremely clear about their sheer contempt for them.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 16, 2020

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

the_steve posted:

Just lol if you honestly think Biden wouldn't nominate a conservative shitheel to be a Supreme Court Justice in order to "reach across the aisle."

Biden desperately wants to be a Republican, he'll do whatever Mitch wants as long as he thinks he'll finally get invited to one of their pizza parties.

Biden literally pulled out all the stops to get Clarence loving Thomas on the court, so this scaremongering about how you totally have to vote Biden to save the SCOTUS is actually darkly hilarious.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Cerebral Bore posted:

Biden literally pulled out all the stops to get Clarence loving Thomas on the court, so this scaremongering about how you totally have to vote Biden to save the SCOTUS is actually darkly hilarious.

Exactly. The Supreme Court cannot be saved if Biden is the nominee. They’d rather reach out to conservatives than their own left

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even odds Biden has to be talked out of nominating a Republican running mate.

Honestly, I'm going to be quite surprised if the Biden campaign does anything that doesn't actively spite Bernie supporters. They've been extremely clear about their sheer contempt for them.

Biden will both keep his promise to pick a woman as VP and reach a hand across the aisle, by following in the footsteps of his good friend John McCain.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Biden (again) dribbled out utter insanity wrt China that edges him towards Curtis Lemay levels of hosed in the head. Doesn’t matter since Orange Man bad.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Hes freaking lying about changing his views. You know if Biden gets into office he is going to not care about students or student loan debt.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
https://twitter.com/AndrewYang/status/1239358676168839169?s=20

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

So biden is going to be the nominee and after the four impotent years we can expect a president cotton or some other such fascist. The outlook is pretty bleak anymore.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Fister Roboto posted:

Trump is going to run to the left of Biden.

How? They both tried cutting social security, and are both lying saying no they didn't, but the other guy did.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ManBoyChef posted:

So biden is going to be the nominee and after the four impotent years we can expect a president cotton or some other such fascist. The outlook is pretty bleak anymore.

Hawley and Cotton are the ones that we should be scared of, right?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

MJeff posted:

That's what people say, but it could also be any of a number of regressive billionaires who stuff their cabinet with these shiny-eyed death cultists

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

MJeff posted:

No one should be afraid of Cotton. He has negative charisma in addition to being one of the stupidest people in Washington.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/kylie_gender/status/1238943813441400833?s=20

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

TyrantWD posted:

I don’t know if Biden drives down turnout. Old people seem to like him enough that they turned out in large enough numbers to not only cancel out, but drive down the youth share of the vote, despite increased youth turnout in raw numbers.

The olds have already done their part in voting FYGM, so if Bernie is off the ballot in November they'll have no incentive to turn out.

Trump may be a crude loudmouth, but by god Sanders said Cuban literacy was good. They already know they can survive a second Trump administration, and have been assured Biden will win anyway.

Once the red scare's off the table, boomers will stay home.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Even if boomers don’t stay home Biden will lose

And if he doesn’t he’ll stroke out and we’ll have President palin lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

moths posted:

The olds have already done their part in voting FYGM, so if Bernie is off the ballot in November they'll have no incentive to turn out.

Trump may be a crude loudmouth, but by god Sanders said Cuban literacy was good. They already know they can survive a second Trump administration, and have been assured Biden will win anyway.

Once the red scare's off the table, boomers will stay home.

Uhh... I get what you're trying to say, but boomers always vote because they have nothing else to do. They will turn out. They always turn out. The only reason they wouldn't is if the nursing home staff locks all the doors to protect them from COVID.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Biden won't deliver 70% of his primary voted to the general election.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I'm so sick of the DNC. They don't want people like me in their party. They only want my vote but they don't want to do anything that will materially improve the life of my family. They know that I'm not going to vote for the other guy because they are much worse and they work as hard as they can to get as close to as bad as that without going over the threshold so they can help the same donors and industries that line their pockets. What's the point anymore? I'm changing my voting habits. Now I'm just going to participate in local elections because they obviously don't want or deserve my vote in national elections. I hate that it has come to this but it is where we are.I have accepted that Bernie will not win and then Biden will lose in November unless a miracle happens. I think the best use of my time to help the most people is to work in the community to elect progressives into state offices.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Probably Magic posted:

Biden won't deliver 70% of his primary voted to the general election.

But the lethality rate is only around 17%?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

just watched last night's debate and holy lol, if anyone ever wonders why fake news is a Thing just point them at this shambles

you absolutely cannot allow people to get away with blatant falsehoods like this if you want to complain about people going to insane reactionary news outlets instead, fox news has been fairer than this

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
so is everyone ignoring that biden said he wants to send troops marching through city streets and nursing homes to deal with COVID because uhhh what the gently caress

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so is everyone ignoring that biden said he wants to send troops marching through city streets and nursing homes to deal with COVID because uhhh what the gently caress

There's a lot you can get away with if you make a mantra about your political decisions being a directive to play it safe with the lesser evil, even if you somehow manage to come out and support a greater evil in the process.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

like how is sending our psychopath army into the streets not just as terrifying as anything as trump's done

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the military can be deployed intelligently or it can be deployed for maximum carnage

i can see their capacity for rapidly establishing triage units and casualty processing being useful. on its face it isn't the dumbest thing about that debate, but the devil's absolutely in the details

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

the military can be deployed intelligently or it can be deployed for maximum carnage

this is the us military we're talking about again

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

CowboyKid posted:

Supreme Court Justices. Federal court justices.

Think big picture. Conservatives have a majority already. RBG's spot will be chosen by the next President.

Do not skip voting out of spite for the process.

Yeah, it's very important that Biden is elected so that he can nominate Garland again and have it blocked, or maybe harass another victim to get another Clarence Thomas on the bench.

Trotting this poo poo out is like trying to sell us trickle down economics. It's been rotting in the sunlight for 40 years.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

i can see their capacity for rapidly establishing triage units and casualty processing being useful. on its face it isn't the dumbest thing about that debate, but the devil's absolutely in the details

The best of times allowed Joe Biden to demonstrate his aptitude for brutish fuckery, there is no way he deserves even that much credence now that the rot has started to set in, and that's without getting pulled either which way by whichever self-serving handler is on duty.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

the military can be deployed to make lockeed martin billions or it can be deployed to make halliburton billions

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Raskolnikov38 posted:

like how is sending our psychopath army into the streets not just as terrifying as anything as trump's done

Those streets are already full of cops, who are worse, so it's probably fine

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Those streets are already full of cops, who are worse, so it's probably fine

Military police.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Biden is one of the main architects of lovely situation we are in right now. Why do they think giving him the highest office in the land is going to fix anything? Yeah that debate was garbage. Why the gently caress don't they call out the lies!!? There are a lot of misinformed people in this country that will take that poo poo as fact and if we do we end up getting republican joe biden implementing harsher austerity.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

ManBoyChef posted:

Hes freaking lying about changing his views. You know if Biden gets into office he is going to not care about students or student loan debt.

No I'm sure the guy that's responsible for student loan debt being non-dischargable is now immune to the monied interests that led to that position and has found the deep ethical and ideological conviction necessary to fight the difficult and costly fight to eliminate all tuition.

But remember we're the naive and non-pragmatic ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Raskolnikov38 posted:

They are way better behaved than cops.

As long as the orders are good.