Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

smug jeebus posted:

The new elf's are real cool

The new elf's what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

at least the new models are better than centurions and the hunter/stalker

some stuff is good, some stuff is bad

same as always

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Age of Sigmar and 40k 8th are pretty much the equivalent of when Star Wars makes toys out of the dude on cloud city holding the ice cream machine - anything that is ever mentioned once in passing gets an entire army, and completely loses everything that makes them interesting.

Ice cream maker guy actually owns though

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Floppychop posted:

The new elf's what?

I’m glad someone said this.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

For_Great_Justice posted:

Slayers stood out as the dudes with wild mohawks an no armor in a culture of armor and fitting in.

So they make them the entire army so none of them stand out. Brilliant.

There used to be an all Slayer army in 5th edition and it kicked rear end

It included Slayer fanatics that suicided into units where the Slayer player got the victory points when it died

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Business Gorillas posted:

There used to be an all Slayer army in 5th edition and it kicked rear end

It included Slayer fanatics that suicided into units where the Slayer player got the victory points when it died

It was also insanely broken and banned in most tournaments I believe.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Catfishenfuego posted:

It was also insanely broken and banned in most tournaments I believe.

Yeah like I said it kicked rear end

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Moola posted:

some stuff is good, some stuff is bad

same as always

yeah but i feel like there hasn't been any massive misses like there were in 5th/6th for a while

idk

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

While I like each new unit individually I feel like Space marines are getting a little overwhelmed with choice.

Before I think we had Tac marines, Assault marines, Bike marines, Devastator marines, Terminator marines, Scout marines, and Stern/Vanguard veterans. Excluding individual characters and vehicles, that's 8 different rolls that marines take on. Now there's those 8, plus Reivers, Agressors, Intercessors, Inceptors, Hellblasters, Eliminators, Infiltrators, Incursors, and Suppressors not including characters or vehicles. Another 9 marine rolls.

So that's 17 ground units excluding characters/vehicles and chapter specific units.

But like Improbable Lobster said I can't really spot a massive miss among them. Other than their names, of course.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I'm under the impression that those new Primaris roles are replacing the old ones over time. Eventually GW will drop the old names along with the old style sculpts.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The names are so bad.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Eventually it's going to be Nounverb Verbnouners all the way down

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Primaris Nounverbers and Verbnouners Primaris

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ugleb posted:

I'm under the impression that those new Primaris roles are replacing the old ones over time. Eventually GW will drop the old names along with the old style sculpts.

Pretty much. Warhammer was easy enough to do it in basically one fell swoop, due to lesser popularity. 40k will take much longer since it's their cash cow, and they don't want to alienate players, or shops, by altering things too quickly.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I wish they'd just replaced the small marines with big marines and kept the names

I like the new bigger boys a lot, but the conceit of "these are actually even MORE special marines" is just, ugh....

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm curious if they'll just make the lore "all regular space marines go through the medical alterations and become primaris marines", or if they'll shake things up and completely up-end the lore like they did with WH. Make the Primaris dudes knock off regular space marines because they think they're bitchmade. I'm sure it'll be the former, as again they won't want to rock the boat too much, but it would be nice to reinvigorate the 40k universe a little with some more major change ups.

The Virgin Astartes Vs. The Chad Primaris

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Pretty much. Warhammer was easy enough to do it in basically one fell swoop, due to lesser popularity. 40k will take much longer since it's their cash cow, and they don't want to alienate players, or shops, by altering things too quickly.

While I wouldn't be surprised if regular marines eventually go away, squatting orignal marines feels like an "old" GW (AoS was such a clusterfuck at launch) thing. It wouldn't surprise me if regular marines stick around and just never get anything new except occasional event models or whatever. Kinda hard to tell either way even though the primaris winds are a-blowing.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
old marines just look so bad next to the primaris

Really highlights their awkward proportions and power squat poses. Stick a human size model in there, like a guardsman, and they look even worse lol

e; on that note, does anyone want to buy loads of monopose unpainted black reach and "dark whatever the 6th edition box" marines from me?

Moola fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 15, 2020

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

goatface posted:

The names are so bad.

You would really have to try to make unironically worse ones.

Moola posted:

I wish they'd just replaced the small marines with big marines and kept the names

I like the new bigger boys a lot, but the conceit of "these are actually even MORE special marines" is just, ugh....

loving exactly, thank you it's been so hard to pinpoint why exactly I don't like them in this succinctly sums it up. It's already hard enough to stomach "extra special marines" for poo poo like Grey Knights.

In my ideal world every single old marine becomes insecure at not being able to outperform their Primaris counterparts and that weakness lets chaos take over vast swaths of the old marines. Then Primaris completely replace old marines in the SM codex and if you want to run your old marine army you can do so with the Chaos Marine codex and run them as either rogue or full blown heretics.

If they did that I wouldn't even mind if Chaos never got Primaris, it would be interesting to watch the complete meltdown and rebirth of the emperors finest.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

we updated the scale of our models to match the lore. this update also happens in the lore, so now the old lore is actually just wrong and we retconned them to be manlets, for the purpose of making them not manlets.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
They could've just done a "hey this is just what marines look like now" but also I like the deliberate throwbacks to Horus Heresy-style squad organization.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Space marines should've had two wounds since like, 4th edition. Too bad model sales are more important, so gotta keep them low points so a person will field 50+ marines at a time.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

And to top it all off with a big cherry, Primaris bump their heads when entering vehicles not specifically designed for them so they refuse to ever use them. Not like that would needlessly annoy current marine players or anything. Gotta sell them 75 dollar tanks

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
They have done current scale old Marines in modern Bigly size. Those blind box dudes.

So why not just do that? Especially for Mk 4-6 suits which are the best ones anyhow.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Captain Rufus posted:

They have done current scale old Marines in modern Bigly size. Those blind box dudes.

So why not just do that? Especially for Mk 4-6 suits which are the best ones anyhow.

These are cooler than regular small boys for sure, but I still like the design of Primarisis more.

I like that Primaris aren't just bigger true scale marines, they have smart detail changes like smaller shoulders to allow greater range of motion in arm poses; a smaller chest plate combined with a proper abdomen section, which also allows for better turning, bending or action poses.
Their heads are the roughly the same size as regular marines, but with the increase in size to the rest of the body this makes them look larger and more imposing in general.

Honestly, stick an older mark helmet on a Primaris and I think they're perfect big space men

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah the big marines look pretty good

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like my smolbois who are normal human proportions (for GW) and not monstrous hulks.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Moola posted:

Honestly, stick an older mark helmet on a Primaris and I think they're perfect big space men

I'm really angry at myself for not doing this when I built my Primaris boys.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He knows the importance of warming up.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
He's freeing his sweaty balls from sticking to his legs. There's no codpiece there, just the leather flap.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Is this an actual old model or someone's impression of one?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Is this an actual old model or someone's impression of one?

impression

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Now that's pretty cool

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

What set is this goblin from?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

What set is this goblin from?

I think it's a Gloomspite Fanatic with a cow from the Aleguzzler Gargant kit

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Winklebottom posted:

Aleguzzler Gargant

That's what they call a giant these days? Like, for real?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

I love it

I always love new versions of old things and old versions of new things

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mr. Sunshine posted:

That's what they call a giant these days? Like, for real?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I adore this