Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I got the latest update on the Pixel 3. I mostly notice this in the Awful app, but it's happened in others - when I click on a link that opens in a browser and then switch back, the original app freezes for a few seconds before I can do anything.

That's a known issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've got an SD card that Disks is telling me has an Android file system on it, I'm guessing it came out of my old phone (Moto g4). I'd like to re-use the card but I don't remember if it has anything remotely important on it. I tried putting it in my new phone (Nokia 7.1) and it wasn't recognized, and all the hits I got looking for info on Android emulators had to do with accessing the virtual sd card from within windows, not a physical SD card from within the emulator. Does anyone know a way that doesn't involve a working g4 to see what, if anything, is on this card?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ItBreathes posted:

I've got an SD card that Disks is telling me has an Android file system on it, I'm guessing it came out of my old phone (Moto g4). I'd like to re-use the card but I don't remember if it has anything remotely important on it. I tried putting it in my new phone (Nokia 7.1) and it wasn't recognized, and all the hits I got looking for info on Android emulators had to do with accessing the virtual sd card from within windows, not a physical SD card from within the emulator. Does anyone know a way that doesn't involve a working g4 to see what, if anything, is on this card?

You previously married the card to the internal storage of the G4 and as such it can't be used for anything else. It's safe to reformat the card, there is no usable data on it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

LastInLine posted:

You previously married the card to the internal storage of the G4 and as such it can't be used for anything else. It's safe to reformat the card, there is no usable data on it.

Thanks!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/03/13/pixel-5-lineup-might-not-be-the-high-end-phones-youd-expect/

Looks like the Pixel 5 and 5 XL will be bramble and redfin. This means they'd use the mid-range Snapdragon 765G and will both possibly have telephoto lenses.

Blogs are already starting to doom say about this and how disappointed they are that the Pixel 5 won't be a "true flagship" device. Tbh, I think it would be better for Google to go back to a more Nexus device mindset and make phones that a great all-rounders instead of having to make weird comprises to try to compete at the very top end.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Branch Nvidian posted:

Blogs are already starting to doom say about this and how disappointed they are that the Pixel 5 won't be a "true flagship" device. Tbh, I think it would be better for Google to go back to a more Nexus device mindset and make phones that a great all-rounders instead of having to make weird comprises to try to compete at the very top end.

I found my Nexus 10 and it's on Android version 5.something. I think I stopped using it because it was getting clunky to use back then and I'm assuming if I were to let it run updates it would get even more clunky, is that a fair assumption? If so I'm going to take it off my network, sign out of my accounts on it, and turn it into a dedicated machine to run my cat's favorite video game - Cat Toys 3D.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The weirdest bit about all of this is why bother coming out with the 4a then? I mean I suppose these could end up being like $600 devices so there would be some market divide there. It still seems a bit redundant (especially after discounts.)

Here's a wild and out-there theory (that's based more on hope than anything else). These aren't intending to be released devices and are longer term prototypes. The SD765 has an integrated 5G modem which isn't available on any 8 series chip yet. If google wanted to test 5G on a pixel while leaving the rest of the design ready for the next gen 8 series with integrated modem, this would be the only way to do it.

Many (including me) have said that Google's October release date doesn't make sense anymore. You are at the tail end of the hardware cycle so no matter what you release, you will be overshadowed a couple month's later.

Maybe, just maybe, the SD765 is a placeholder chip for the next gen 8 series and they are planning on releasing the pixel later?

That's likely not what's happening since it it would make too much sense and we'll have $700 Pixels with midrange chipsets in them, using that to compensate for same sized batteries.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

I got the S20 Plus and it's much better for me than the S20 Ultra (or the Pixel 4 XL). I'm wondering if I could change one thing about it though: I can't seem to open notifications from the lock screen even if I have unlocked via facial recognition (like on my Pixel 4 XL or even my iPhone XR).

Is there any way to change this?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Starting 12 hours ago, I have been getting spammed with "trying to verify you're a parent?" Google Account notifications taking focus on my phone. I can only assume this is some new phishing method. I don't have kids or anyone with a device who should be set up as a child on my account. Is there any way to block them so I don't accidentally hit yes while in the middle of typing something? There is not a "no, and don't ask me again" option and I am at my wits' end.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 17, 2020

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Bloodplay it again posted:

Starting 12 hours ago, I have been getting spammed with "trying to verify you're a parent?" Google Account notifications taking focus on my phone. I can only assume this is some new phishing method. I don't have kids or anyone with a device who should be set up as a child on my account. Is there any way to block them so I don't accidentally hit yes while in the middle of typing something? There is not a "no, and don't ask me again" option and I am at my wits' end.

Have you changed your account password?

edit: I might be misremembering how child accounts work.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

space marine todd posted:

I got the S20 Plus and it's much better for me than the S20 Ultra (or the Pixel 4 XL). I'm wondering if I could change one thing about it though: I can't seem to open notifications from the lock screen even if I have unlocked via facial recognition (like on my Pixel 4 XL or even my iPhone XR).

Is there any way to change this?

Samsung doesn't do the double tap to open notification, you have to tap once and then drag the lock screen open. Dumb yes, and I don't think there's anyway to change it.

Help, I think hunkering down in my house is starting to warp my brain. I still actually really like the S20 Ultra even if I wish I could sand a few more Samsung edges off of it.

If Google is retreating from the flagship space, I guess it's good that I can tolerate using another manufacturer's phone again.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Current events make it very easy for me to not even think for a second about the difference between Samsung and Pixel.

Online mobile phone sales are down about 75% at my employer this week.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I might be able to get an unlocked Pixel 4 (non XL) 64GB instead of the Pixel 4a.

How good is the battery on the normal Pixel 4?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

I might be able to get an unlocked Pixel 4 (non XL) 64GB instead of the Pixel 4a.

How good is the battery on the normal Pixel 4?
It's dogshit, and no anecdotes about how it "works for me" should counter the physical reality of it being 2/3 the capacity of other offerings.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Khablam posted:

It's dogshit, and no anecdotes about how it "works for me" should counter the physical reality of it being 2/3 the capacity of other offerings.

Considering how the 4 XL's battery life is with my usage, I know for a fact the regular one would run out of power long before the end of my work day.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Khablam posted:

It's a beast, It sips through 30 minutes of SOT with 53% of the battery life at the end of the day EASY.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
My wife's phone out of nowhere stopped being able to receive text messages (it's a Pixel XL 1). She is able to send texts, but not receive. I checked it out and she has like 4GB of text data so I figured that the database choking is what's causing the issue.

The problem is I can't delete the texts in the default Messages app. There's so many texts that it just shows them all greyed out and "loading" like it's trying to load the texts, but it can't. So I can't delete them in the Messages app.

I checked the play store for a "text deleting app" but the only things that come up are "undelete texts" apps. Is there some other way I can delete the SMS database? I figured maybe with a file browser but I don't know where it's stored, plus her phone isn't rooted (I would guess you would need root to access the SMS folder but I would love to be wrong about that).

Anything else I can try?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

My wife's phone out of nowhere stopped being able to receive text messages (it's a Pixel XL 1). She is able to send texts, but not receive. I checked it out and she has like 4GB of text data so I figured that the database choking is what's causing the issue.

The problem is I can't delete the texts in the default Messages app. There's so many texts that it just shows them all greyed out and "loading" like it's trying to load the texts, but it can't. So I can't delete them in the Messages app.

I checked the play store for a "text deleting app" but the only things that come up are "undelete texts" apps. Is there some other way I can delete the SMS database? I figured maybe with a file browser but I don't know where it's stored, plus her phone isn't rooted (I would guess you would need root to access the SMS folder but I would love to be wrong about that).

Anything else I can try?

You can try settings>apps>messages and clearing app data from there, it might help.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Desk Lamp posted:

You can try settings>apps>messages and clearing app data from there, it might help.

Thanks, I did that already and unfortunately that does not actually delete any texts.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Did you try another app? Maybe it's Messages and not the database.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Uthor posted:

Did you try another app? Maybe it's Messages and not the database.

Yep, tried 3 different texting apps.

I even linked Messages to her laptop and I had the idea to delete the texts from the web browser. It looked like it worked, but then I rebooted her phone and the texts all came back (along with the ones that refuse to load).

I gave up and rooted her phone. Used a file manager to browse to data/User_DE/0/com.android.providers.telephony/databases, and I deleted the SMS file in there. That was the only thing that worked. :psyduck:

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Pixel 3a XL. Completely stock and up to date.

Is there a way to block all calls from numbers not in your contacts list? Ideally texts, too. I've been searching, and it looks like that used to be an option but isn't any longer? I can't find it as an option inside the phone app or the contacts app. The only options are to block from unidentified numbers and filter spam (which clearly does not work 100% of the time).

I can take the plunge on the various shady looking blacklist/whitelist apps, but I was hoping there was still a way to do it natively in Android 10.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

incogneato posted:

Pixel 3a XL. Completely stock and up to date.

Is there a way to block all calls from numbers not in your contacts list? Ideally texts, too. I've been searching, and it looks like that used to be an option but isn't any longer? I can't find it as an option inside the phone app or the contacts app. The only options are to block from unidentified numbers and filter spam (which clearly does not work 100% of the time).

I can take the plunge on the various shady looking blacklist/whitelist apps, but I was hoping there was still a way to do it natively in Android 10.
Have you tried Call Screen (Phone App Settings > Spam and Call Screen > Call Screen)? It doesn't do it all, but it might help.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 20, 2020

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Ardlen posted:

Have you tried Call Screen (Phone App Settings > Spam and Call Screen > Call Screen)? It doesn't do it all, but it might help.

I tried something like that (slightly different settings and names for me), but I was hoping for a more blanket "absolutely nothing outside contacts gets through." We're setting up a first-time smartphone for my wife's parents with the sole purpose of video-chatting and texting pictures with grandkids, etc. The less confusing robocalls and spam, the better.

I was looking for something like the settings listed in this article, which included a toggle to block all numbers not in contacts. I had hoped Google had just moved it to a different setting or menu. But I guess they did the Very Google thing of removing granular options in favor of a single machine learning spam filter. There's also a toggle for "block calls from unidentified callers" but I had assumed that was just for calls that show "Restricted" instead of a number. Actually, now that I think about it I'm not entirely sure what that one does--what is an "unidentified caller" in this case?

I'm debating whether to use one of the many blacklist/whitelist apps on the store. A couple are well-reviewed and seem legit, but the (understandable) amount of permissions requested is a bit discomforting.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

incogneato posted:

We're setting up a first-time smartphone for my wife's parents with the sole purpose of video-chatting and texting pictures with grandkids, etc. The less confusing robocalls and spam, the better.

Wouldn't it be easier to not put a SIM card in the phone then? Can't get spam calls if you don't have a number. Make your video calls and messages via data, if you need it to function outside of WiFi range get a data-only SIM.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

isndl posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to not put a SIM card in the phone then? Can't get spam calls if you don't have a number. Make your video calls and messages via data, if you need it to function outside of WiFi range get a data-only SIM.

If they had home internet, yes that'd solve the issue. But they don't, and internet is expensive and lovely around them. Also it'd be nice for them to be able to receive SMS instead of convincing the entire extended family to all adopt WhatsApp or some other alternative. Eventually maybe we'll even migrate them to smartphone only (instead of their ancient flip phone).

But I'm with you. My original idea was home internet + iPad.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

From my Pixel 4XL, Phone app > Three dots > Settings > Blocked numbers > Unknown "Block calls from unidentified callers" Turn that on.

All the settings Ardlen showed should be set to "Automatically screen, decline robocalls". You must have Google Assistant enabled to do this.

Between those two options the phone should not receive any unwanted calls.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Does anyone have the tempered glass screen protector on their Galaxy phone with the screen fingerprint sensor? Seems like these glass screen protectors have a hole where the fingerprint reader is supposed to be - is it odd when your finger goes around the screen?

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

I have a Galaxy S9 that's started making GBS threads the bed now that it's the apocalypse. It's delaying sending/receiving a lot of SMS stuff, particularly in group texts. My friends are not amused about getting spontaneous 2:30 am texts that I actually send like 12 hours earlier. I've tried clearing every cache I can find. I've tried googling the answer. I'm about ten minutes from going full Office Space on the loving thing.

Please help.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

motherbox posted:

I have a Galaxy S9 that's started making GBS threads the bed now that it's the apocalypse. It's delaying sending/receiving a lot of SMS stuff, particularly in group texts. My friends are not amused about getting spontaneous 2:30 am texts that I actually send like 12 hours earlier. I've tried clearing every cache I can find. I've tried googling the answer. I'm about ten minutes from going full Office Space on the loving thing.

Please help.

Backup, factory reset?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally got my free Galaxy Buds+ and not noticing a big difference from the regular Buds. Although the regular Buds are the best I've ever tried, including expensive Bang and Olufsen e8s.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

motherbox posted:

Please help.

Every time I've seen this happen it's been a problem on the carrier end.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Looks like Google is doing another step towards blocking sideloading?

https://www.neowin.net/news/android-advanced-protection-now-limits-non-play-store-app-installs

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just so people are clear, this is only if you intentionally enroll in their special locked down Advanced Protection Program. So it makes sense.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I just got my Unihertz Titan and really enjoying having a physical keyboard again

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have a very annoying issue.

I have Xfinity Mobile. When I leave the house it drops off my home wifi. When I get home, it will often be connected to someone nearbys Xfinity wifi. Unless I monitor this, I will miss calls and use up mobile data due to the poor connection.

No matter what I do, I can't get my phone to stop doing this. I suspect it's some BS that Xfinity pushed out so they could "help" users use less data by using other peoples home connections.

There is a totally BS FAQ on their website on how to handle it. I have a S10+. The info it gives doesn't match my phone. I disconnect and forget the xfinity network constantly. Yet it still connects.

I see other people have this problem. It looks like there is no point contacting Xfinity. Oh, I went to a store a few weeks back and they were clueless and phone support has no idea, of course. So I am asking here to see if anyone has an idea.

Is there perhaps an app that I could use to control my wifi connections?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Waltzing Along posted:

I have a very annoying issue.

I have Xfinity Mobile. When I leave the house it drops off my home wifi. When I get home, it will often be connected to someone nearbys Xfinity wifi. Unless I monitor this, I will miss calls and use up mobile data due to the poor connection.

No matter what I do, I can't get my phone to stop doing this. I suspect it's some BS that Xfinity pushed out so they could "help" users use less data by using other peoples home connections.

There is a totally BS FAQ on their website on how to handle it. I have a S10+. The info it gives doesn't match my phone. I disconnect and forget the xfinity network constantly. Yet it still connects.

I see other people have this problem. It looks like there is no point contacting Xfinity. Oh, I went to a store a few weeks back and they were clueless and phone support has no idea, of course. So I am asking here to see if anyone has an idea.

Is there perhaps an app that I could use to control my wifi connections?

Can you change your SSID?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Can you change your SSID?

That won't stop my phone from connecting to every Xfinity hotspot it sees.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Dumb question, can you tell your phone to forget that network?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

sleepwalkers posted:

Dumb question, can you tell your phone to forget that network?

Yes. Over and over. In fact, I never connected to it on my own. It just does it. I think Xfinity has done something on their end to force the connections. :(