Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
His other famous characters include Walter - basically a ripoff of Red Forman, Peanut - the epitome of lolrandom monkeycheese, Jalapeno on a Stick - an excuse to do a stereotypical Mexican accent and make "lazy Mexican" jokes, and probably more but that's all I could stomach to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

What ring tones did you download in the 2000s?
I knew people who seemed to have new ones every week.
I only ever downloaded one.

It was: Nelly, Grillz.

Only one, and I still have it god knows how many phones later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK7T4LHjln4

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus F'n Christ, that is an old phone OP!

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

I got invited over to an acquaintance's Thanksgiving about 5 years ago, and Jeff Dunham was on TV. IT was very awkward.

Dude.. I went to an all-hands meeting at work once where the store manager played Jeff Dunham before we got started. It was doubly-awkward because he was normally a very serious business-oriented guy that had no visible sense of humor.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
IIRC Jeff Dunham also did a version of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjs68UszPh4 except it was just him, a white guy, talking to other white guys, but with a puppet of a black guy.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Brute Hole Force posted:

Well going by the two guys at my job that still blast nu metal and butt rock like they're in college in 2002 probably.

I miss working with a guy that was super into nu-metal and industrial music. He didn't know the name of those genres, he just really liked Korn, System of a Down, and Rammstein. He would put some stuff on the work radio I had never heard of, and I got to share some of my greatest middle school hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0l0NZTBboU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhWKSg6CSxc

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
sprite rip webcomics (webcomics in general really) are something that I associate with 2000s internet

they were all either like this or the punchline being extreme violence

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Rammstien is awesome and they're pretty lefty.

I'd not drop them into the butt rock category.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

sprite rip webcomics (webcomics in general really) are something that I associate with 2000s internet

I put on my robe and wizard hat.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

There was so much absolute garbage on the early WWW that got popular just by virtue of having regular and substantial updates. Penny Arcade was, in hindsight, never good, but it updated like clockwork and you could count on reliably killing some time by reading the accompanying 140,000 word blog post about some PC game you'd probably never get around to playing.

One genre of late 90s-early 00s site I actually enjoyed were the ones where users would submit a question or conversation prompt and then the operator(s) of the site would respond in the guise of one or more fictional and non-fictional characters. Three I can think of off the top of my head are Forum 2000, Conversatron, and True Meaning of Life (that one being my favorite).

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
You used to be able to compose ring tones on some of the monophonic Nokia's, I think mine was a 3315. I remember keying in for whom the bell tolls and ratm riffs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pastry of the Year posted:

There was so much absolute garbage on the early WWW that got popular just by virtue of having regular and substantial updates. Penny Arcade was, in hindsight, never good, but it updated like clockwork and you could count on reliably killing some time by reading the accompanying 140,000 word blog post about some PC game you'd probably never get around to playing.

One genre of late 90s-early 00s site I actually enjoyed were the ones where users would submit a question or conversation prompt and then the operator(s) of the site would respond in the guise of one or more fictional and non-fictional characters. Three I can think of off the top of my head are Forum 2000, Conversatron, and True Meaning of Life (that one being my favorite).

I like how you talk about the premise of Strongbad Emails and not mention it.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

twistedmentat posted:

Rammstien is awesome and they're pretty lefty.

I'd not drop them into the butt rock category.

At least not until Till Lindemann does a video involving a stalagmite up someone's rear end, if he hasn't already anyway.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Brute Hole Force posted:

At least not until Till Lindemann does a video involving a stalagmite up someone's rear end, if he hasn't already anyway.

There has to be buttsex in the video for Pussy.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

spleen merchant posted:

You used to be able to compose ring tones on some of the monophonic Nokia's, I think mine was a 3315. I remember keying in for whom the bell tolls and ratm riffs.

I used to be able to play so many songs on my flip phone. Morning mood, Shaker variants, funkytown, etc. It always got a laugh

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

spleen merchant posted:

I had a mate who was proud of the wonky rendition of amazing grace they'd figured out.

I recall websites that posted all the "notes" you had to punch in. And certain phones flashed between the screen and keypad when they rang.

Plus the whole custom phone case craze. Like adding decorative flip panels for your keyboard or tinted screens.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Anyone remember Crank Yankers?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I loved CY

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

is there a taste to the caulk

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

There’s an entire channel on Pluto streaming it 24/7

Even if you don’t end up liking it, it is sorta buckwild to take a walk down memory lane and re-experience puppet based shock humor from 18 years ago.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

I remember super annoying DRM becoming a thing in the 2000s. Like Starforce or whatever that one was that would gently caress up your PC, games that required constant internet connection for no other reason than DRM, music CDs that wouldn't play in a PC, etc.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Thermos posted:

I remember super annoying DRM becoming a thing in the 2000s. Like Starforce or whatever that one was that would gently caress up your PC, games that required constant internet connection for no other reason than DRM, music CDs that wouldn't play in a PC, etc.

To this day I haven't found a CD player or optical drive that could play my copy of Mando Diao's Bring 'Em In, except for a player in a Toyota Corolla my sister had for like six months.

I really liked this song :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jmxyjrza5E

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That reminds me, remember DualDisc? With the CD on one side and DVD on the other? That was a thing for like a year, but it had so many deal-breaking compatibility/DRM issues that I think it just totally died after the first wave of releases. I have 2 albums that use it and they're both from 2005.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sir Lemming posted:

That reminds me, remember DualDisc? With the CD on one side and DVD on the other? That was a thing for like a year, but it had so many deal-breaking compatibility/DRM issues that I think it just totally died after the first wave of releases. I have 2 albums that use it and they're both from 2005.

Do you one better; remember that brief flash of double-sided DVD movies that were 4:3 on one side and 16:9 on the other? I know the South Park movie was like that, but I think there were one or two others?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

They brought it back a few years ago. Don’t know if it’s still going.

Having since worker in retail and call centers, I don’t find most of it funny anymore... although I still do Special Ed’s “Yay!” and “I got mail!” all the time...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sir Lemming posted:

I got a three six mafia album where they're all "i' you got the dual disc version of this then flip that poo poo over" or whatever.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Brothers Gibb apparently had a single in 2001, and it's good? I was surprised

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJule_2mx3I

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Thermos posted:

All hail the Sony rootkit.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do you one better; remember that brief flash of double-sided DVD movies that were 4:3 on one side and 16:9 on the other? I know the South Park movie was like that, but I think there were one or two others?

Oh, there were way, way more than one or two back in the day, my friend. I worked for a public library from 2002 to 2012 and one of my jobs was using a disc-buffing machine to fix discs that patrons scratched up.

How it worked: Someone one checked out a DVD, poo poo would skip or freeze, and it came back to my dept. with a note saying "disc skips". If I was lucky, they told me which side; otherwise, I'd just eyeball the scratches or maybe play it if it was a movie I'd like to have on in the background that wouldn't offend patrons coming to my desk. It did not help that some studios put the label on the side you put face down; some put it on the opposite side, as if it were a record. It was a crapshoot that I hated dealing with.

What sucked was that our buffing machine would often scrub off the little hub ring label that told you which side was which. So now you had a DVD with a hub ring label on one side that said "fullscreen" or "widescreen", and the other side was completely blank, if I'd buffed that. If I buffed both sides, you had NO way of knowing which side was which.

Between dual-side DVDs and BBC audiobooks being made of what I swear was plastic cling wrap with some aluminum foil, labeled in Sharpie (those things fell apart and the printed label rubbed off if you looked at them funny), I rapidly grew to hate that part of my job and pawned it off on all the new hires. VHS/cassette tapes were actually more reliable; you can splice out a bad chunk of tape or re-shell them, but once discs are hosed, they are hosed.

edit: hope I didn't come off as overly snarky or condescending, Neddy. I just saw your post about "one or two others" and was like "oooooh, no, I got some war stories to tell y'all!" :)

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Mar 26, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Oh, there were way, way more than one or two back in the day, my friend. I worked for a public library from 2002 to 2012 and one of my jobs was using a disc-buffing machine to fix discs that patrons scratched up.

How it worked: Someone one checked out a DVD, poo poo would skip or freeze, and it came back to my dept. with a note saying "disc skips". If I was lucky, they told me which side; otherwise, I'd just eyeball the scratches or maybe play it if it was a movie I'd like to have on in the background that wouldn't offend patrons coming to my desk. It did not help that some studios put the label on the side you put face down; some put it on the opposite side, as if it were a record. It was a crapshoot that I hated dealing with.

What sucked was that our buffing machine would often scrub off the little hub ring label that told you which side was which. So now you had a DVD with a hub ring label on one side that said "fullscreen" or "widescreen", and the other side was completely blank, if I'd buffed that. If I buffed both sides, you had NO way of knowing which side was which.

Between dual-side DVDs and BBC audiobooks being made of what I swear was plastic cling wrap with some aluminum foil, labeled in Sharpie (those things fell apart and the printed label rubbed off if you looked at them funny), I rapidly grew to hate that part of my job and pawned it off on all the new hires. VHS/cassette tapes were actually more reliable; you can splice out a bad chunk of tape or re-shell them, but once discs are hosed, they are hosed.

edit: hope I didn't come off as overly snarky or condescending, Neddy. I just saw your post about "one or two others" and was like "oooooh, no, I got some war stories to tell y'all!" :)

Oh heck no, inform away! I wasn't actually aware there were that many :magical:.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh heck no, inform away! I wasn't actually aware there were that many :magical:.

Aww yeah, at a rough guess I'd say at least half of releases during that era had the two-sided dual-aspect-ratio thing. Any of your recent blockbusters or "now on DVD for the first time!" classics got that treatment, and it suuuucked. Not just for boomers trying to check out an old Hitchcock or Bond film and being confused as gently caress as to which side to play it on, but those of us doing triage trying to fix them.

I also ran our our afternoon film program at the library, we showed classic movies via a kickin' LCD projector on our 30 ft screen. I'd groan every time I was handed one of those, because I never knew which side of, say, "Casablanca" to play. If I was lucky I'd get a hot minute to try it out both ways and go "OKAY, this is the widescreen one, and it doesn't have too many scratches. Gonna cross my fingers and hope it plays through okay!"

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I had similar experiences working in a library around the same time. The double sided DVDs with standard aspect ratio on one side and widescreen on the other side had a much higher failure/NEEDS RESURFACING rate than regular DVDs. My theory is that people would pick a random side, start the movie, and it was THE WRONG ONE WHY DOES IT LOOK BAD then eject the disc and angrily mash it back into the DVD player until they get the right one.

Same reason some people destroy micro USB phone chargers these days. There is one correct orientation where it actually plugs in and charges. If you try to plug it in and it doesn't fit or doesn't start charging, the solution is to mash the USB cable against your phone until it fits, and then complain that your charger stopped working. Also why do they keep breaking, cheap pieces of poo poo. I paid $20 for this charger why doesn't it work???

media formats that give users multiple choices reveal the true nature of life: to live is to feel pain. all existence is suffering

to live is to suffer. nothing matters and nothing makes sense. just mash that disc or cable until it fits or breaks. it is a metaphor. nothing we do has meaning. we just thrash about, injuring all others that come in contact with ourselves.

if you have any difficulties playing or displaying your movie, please notify the clerk when you return the damaged item.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

WITCHCRAFT posted:

I had similar experiences working in a library around the same time. The double sided DVDs with standard aspect ratio on one side and widescreen on the other side had a much higher failure/NEEDS RESURFACING rate than regular DVDs. My theory is that people would pick a random side, start the movie, and it was THE WRONG ONE WHY DOES IT LOOK BAD then eject the disc and angrily mash it back into the DVD player until they get the right one.

The problem with those dumb double-sided DVDs is that they were never quite clear with the tiny-rear end labels around the center -- is this the side that has the widescreen data, or the side that should be facing up if I want widescreen? I think different publishers had different ways of doing that too, making at all the more frustrating.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In the 2000s, everyone laughed about swine flu and how that poo poo was so overblown.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In the 2000s, everyone laughed about swine flu and how that poo poo was so overblown.

Swine flu led to pork products to be MASSIVELY discounted. I remember when my mom bought, idk, like 20 packs of weiners (the good brand too!) Because they were something like 80% off or some poo poo.

It was great. Had hotdogs for ever

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Good hot dogs and pork don't mix

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Swine flu led to pork products to be MASSIVELY discounted. I remember when my mom bought, idk, like 20 packs of weiners (the good brand too!) Because they were something like 80% off or some poo poo.

It was great. Had hotdogs for ever

Can we spread a rumor about swine covid so I can eat carnitas for a month straight?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Can we spread a rumor about swine covid so I can eat carnitas for a month straight?

Fun fact, there actually is a pig pandemic called African Swine Fever sweeping across the world right now. It's not harmful to humans but it has something like a 90% fatality rate for pigs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Moon Monster posted:

Fun fact, there actually is a pig pandemic called African Swine Fever sweeping across the world right now. It's not harmful to humans but it has something like a 90% fatality rate for pigs.

Iiirc, China's pork production kinda hosed on top of being hit with Covid because they've had to cull a lot of their herds for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I remember having feelings. That was pretty cool