Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

As long as it's not outrageously priced

narrator: it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

BisterdDave posted:

As long as it's not outrageously priced then it should be ok.

Yeah, I would not be too optimistic about that...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lol the 360 wifi adaptor was like 90 dollars

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Those drives will cost a fortune. Hell, even if Sony allows an off the shelf NVME the things arent cheap so expect to get gouged for the storage.

I dont know if something is up with Bleeding Edges math but as far as I can see manually counting my win loss going back to the start I have 27 wins and 21 losses, but its telling me my win rate is 42%. Is it not my actual win rate but rather an average of my win rate across all three character types? If so that is a really misleading and kind of useless stat.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

When you play bleeding edge you are subtly already losing so your wins are scaled down

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I really, really like it but its absolutely gonna fail in the marketplace, and its failure is something I would bet on entirely on the basis of "I like it"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I'll jump back in after a few months when only the die hard play it and actually know the game rules.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

We're in a post sales games market now. If phil thinks it brought any eyes on gamepass at all he'll order a cheap season 2

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hard to have a season 2 if nobody is still playing it

Ive had some rather "smart" people as of late where smart is defined as picking daemon during powercell collection and abusing invisibility to cap their teams cells unopposed. I also had a match where people started parrying which was cool to see. Too bad you cant parry through a pile of CC so it doesnt mean much in most fights.

I still dont know what lady tank does except die a lot.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

bushisms.txt posted:

I'll jump back in after a few months when only the die hard play it and actually know the game rules.

The die hards will always be on the opposite team while all the people playing for the first time will be on yours. That's just Internet Math.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

While this is probably true, it's also true that in 2 years regular storage will probably surpass it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Very much looking forward to Microsoft's sequel to GameCube.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Yeah, the price is the main thing I'm worried about. But being able to at least still be able to store games on a regular external HD is still handy.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Me: *buys 3 months of live to play Warzone while the IRL world burns*

Xbox: We'll give you an extra month if you turn on recurring payments on this card *shows me an expired debit card*

Me: Uhhhhhhh yeah sure!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

pyrotek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcY4nRHapmE

The Xbox Series X hardware is extremely impressive. I wonder if they'll target $500 or go the full PS3 and charge $600?

its going to be expensive, remember that there is going to be a second cheaper model

Seedge posted:

The thing I'm most surprised about is it only being 1TB. I struggle to keep the games I want in 1TB as is, nevermind the hugeness of next gen.

with both consoles using limited SSD space to store games and most very big games being large arbitrarily (cod doesnt need to be 150gb at all) id be surprised if ms and sony dont both lean on devs to ensure theyre actually optimising. theres also options like making 4k assets optional on downloads if you dont need them as well.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Stux posted:

its going to be expensive, remember that there is going to be a second cheaper model

with both consoles using limited SSD space to store games and most very big games being large arbitrarily (cod doesnt need to be 150gb at all) id be surprised if ms and sony dont both lean on devs to ensure theyre actually optimising. theres also options like making 4k assets optional on downloads if you dont need them as well.

It's weird how mum they've been about the second console. They haven't actually officially said anything right?

It's possible they want to do an aggressive price cut in the series x. Allow games on one and series x for the next two years, then cut series x to $400 in 2022 and only put games on it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Ineffiable posted:

It's weird how mum they've been about the second console. They haven't actually officially said anything right?

It's possible they want to do an aggressive price cut in the series x. Allow games on one and series x for the next two years, then cut series x to $400 in 2022 and only put games on it.

i think its supposedly meant to be a cpu closer to the series x but a one x level gpu but yeah theyve been keeping quiet, which is really bizarre because the series x is going to be either extremely expensive or a gigantic loss leader

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Stux posted:

i think its supposedly meant to be a cpu closer to the series x but a one x level gpu but yeah theyve been keeping quiet, which is really bizarre because the series x is going to be either extremely expensive or a gigantic loss leader

The series x even has a unique page all to itself on xbox.com and everything. In fact the only thing we don't know about it is the price, Microsoft has effectively revealed everything about it from a hardware standpoint and the os looks pretty similar to the current one too.

And even last year they only said 'project Scarlett, coming 2020 and series x was code named Scarlett. They have not mentioned Lockhart at all (again only a name we've seen from internal leaks)

So if it's happening it's handled very oddly.

Honestly what I think they should have done is said 'we're gonna have all first party games still on xbox one for 1.5 years (phased out before holiday 2022 where the series x could get a price drop) and Xbox one x to be supported for 3 years (in time for a series x slim and maybe a series X-2)' and make the one x the new 'lockhart'

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This generation transition is gonna be sooo messy

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Just coming on the thread to say how much I despise the Ori chase sequences and I'm now at a point where I don't think I'm going to continue the game because I just cannot do one of them.

It really really needs a slip option after dying enough times.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Sony and Microsoft are currently locked in a staredown for the pricing. The crisis has also impacted their supply line and any future projections they had for price/profitability margins.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Stux posted:

Other than being lower than their other segments I'm not sure what the margin on these chips are, but I'm betting it'll be a bit of both.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Tsietisin posted:

Just coming on the thread to say how much I despise the Ori chase sequences and I'm now at a point where I don't think I'm going to continue the game because I just cannot do one of them.

It really really needs a slip option after dying enough times.

The first one or the sequel? The second game, IMO, fixes a lot of the issues I had with the escape sequences and makes them more forgiving in terms of timing and the randomness of some obstacles. Not saying they can't be tough. And you're right, perhaps a skip feature would be good for those that just want to advance the story.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Yeah they're probably planning on keeping One X going for a year or so more, as it enters a good profit making stage, as their 'midrange' console before it gets replaced by the lower spec Series model. That apparently will be targeting native 1440p upscaled to 4k at max 60fps instead of native 4k max 120fps so they can drop the processor and RAM accordingly, and still keep the ray tracing, SSD and the rest so devs have a consistent baseline of next gen features. Honestly for 90% of consumers that box will do fine, it will have all the same games, still look better than current gen and have the faster loading etc. and they'll presumably be substantially undercutting the PS5.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

I can plug in my current HD into a series X to play my current XBox One, 360 BC and Xbox BC games straight from it. The power and HDMI cables are the same. I can take my current XBox One controllers and use them on the Series X.

This seems like the opposite of 'messy' to me. I'm hoping the PS5 is this easy!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
wow I didn't have to unplug a power cord and all it cost me was any new games

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
i think keeping the non-ssd one x and base models as required for the platform is really stupid and will hurt them and i would be shocked if the ps5 wasnt cheaper than the series x by a decent chunk.

xbox games will not be able to ensure an ssd baseline for the first two years or whatever they said. ps5 is just going to have ps4 back compat but no requirements for games theyre making to be hamstrung by a 7 year old platform, but i guess that only matters if youre planning on making first party titles.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stux posted:

i think keeping the non-ssd one x and base models as required for the platform is really stupid.

This is what I'm talking about when I mean messy. And then in a few years games work on One X and series x and then in a few more years Series X only... what the gently caress

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If Sony manages to keep everything from last gen backwards compatible it won't matter because there will be no such a thing as an Xbox in 3 years.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

ErrEff posted:

The first one or the sequel? The second game, IMO, fixes a lot of the issues I had with the escape sequences and makes them more forgiving in terms of timing and the randomness of some obstacles. Not saying they can't be tough. And you're right, perhaps a skip feature would be good for those that just want to advance the story.

Second game and I believe it's the last chase scene in the game. I have literally retried it over 100 times and I've lost all desire to pay the game now.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I suspect Sony might be working similarly, but may present it in a way that's less confusing due to more sensible console naming conventions, or at least be more aggressive about making true PS5-only games starting at launch. Otherwise I think out of necessity they're also going to support spinny externals at least for actual PS4 games. 1tb isn't enough even on a PS4 proper, if you need to also store 100ish gig PS5 games that's going to fill up insanely fast.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

univbee posted:

I suspect Sony might be working similarly, but may present it in a way that's less confusing due to more sensible console naming conventions, or at least be more aggressive about making true PS5-only games starting at launch. Otherwise I think out of necessity they're also going to support spinny externals at least for actual PS4 games. 1tb isn't enough even on a PS4 proper, if you need to also store 100ish gig PS5 games that's going to fill up insanely fast.

Yeah I hope so because I already have 8TB of ps4 games and I'd like to be able to access them on ps5 so I can ditch the ps4 unit out of the entertainment unit, maybe put it in the bedroom.

Also hoping that we can use external hard drives for archiving ps5 software as well. Otherwise a lot of people are going to be mad about the storage once we get plenty of real world case scenarios.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

univbee posted:

i think sony is going to just do what theyve said, backwards compatible with ps4 titles and thats it, i think the idea of keeping around very old hardware as needing compatibility is a pointless headache. externals for ps4 games like the series x would make sense. 1tb is actually enough for how most people buy games but not for people on here, i dont think 100gb games are going to become the norm, i would expect options to not download 4k textures, standardised compression due to sky high ssd speeds and a push to stop certain devs from overinflating games because they dont want to optimise will be a priority for both platforms which should provide enough reason for devs to cut it out and take limited storage into consideration.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stux posted:

and a push to stop certain devs from overinflating games because they dont want to optimise

ahahahahahahahaha

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

ahahahahahahahaha

cod being 150gb is literally nonsensical. most games i have on my ps4 and pc are around 20-60gb. theres no reason why cod is 150gb! rdr2 is 100gb because its big and because it has 4k assets on all versions of the game even if they arent used. why a call of duty game is bigger than that is completely mystifying, especially when even in the context of other cod games its a gigantic leap in file size!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

probably games waste space, ... having all idioms available, and videos, using baking tecniques and so son. Things can get better, or more stupid, but games will continue growing in size.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Developers will often have the exact same data show up multiple times in their install so they're on different parts of the disk and the drive head can just go to the closest one and save a little time. No need for that on an SSD. Also, Series X has built in hardware for storage compression, that should help a little too.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
At least we got to see the PS5 logo that's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BrownieVK posted:

At least we got to see the PS5 logo that's pretty cool.