Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of VR menus and all that , new universal menu for Quest
https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-the-new-oculus-quest-system-experience/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Finally, the original one is rough as gently caress

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, it seems because the cancelled GDC, they are going to have a daily blog with stuff here
https://www.oculus.com/blog/facebook-game-developers-showcase-news/

Today they announced the previous menu, a OpenXR prototype and that 20 games have surpassed the $1M mark on the Quest ecosystem.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
my rift S recently started to prompt me to set up my guardian every single time I boot up the oculus app. it only takes like 30 seconds to do, but it's pretty annoying. anyone else having this issue/know how to fix it?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

punished milkman posted:

my rift S recently started to prompt me to set up my guardian every single time I boot up the oculus app. it only takes like 30 seconds to do, but it's pretty annoying. anyone else having this issue/know how to fix it?

Try to remove all the guardian history and then setup it once more, and see what happens.

When you put your headset, try to do it from inside the guardian area.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Hello! Have been looking into getting into PC VR, as there's no way in hell that I'm allowing a new Half-Life game to pass me by without me getting to play it. Few questions:
  • How are the Oculus Rift S and/or Oculus Quest for glasses? I already have a Playstation VR which my glasses fit into fine, is the Oculus similar or significantly worse?
  • The system requirements on the Oculus website for the Rift S says that the minimum CPU requirement is an Intel i5-4590 or better - does an Intel i3-8100 meet that requirement?
  • How well does the inside-out tracking work with the Oculus? I would imagine it is at least better than the PSVR tracking, but is it a pain to set up or does it just go?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

cargohills posted:

[*]The system requirements on the Oculus website for the Rift S says that the minimum CPU requirement is an Intel i5-4590 or better - does an Intel i3-8100 meet that requirement?
[*]How well does the inside-out tracking work with the Oculus? I would imagine it is at least better than the PSVR tracking, but is it a pain to set up or does it just go?

- should be fine:

Valve posted:

MINIMUM:
Processor: Core i5-7500 / Ryzen 5 1600
Memory: 12 GB RAM
Graphics: GTX 1060 / RX 580 - 6GB VRAM

- works quite well for me. no complaints and i'm glad that i don't have to have noisy spinny power-consuming laser boxes hanging from the ceiling. you obviously can't hide the controllers behind your back and stuff, but it does work just fine for stuff like grabbing weapons over your shoulder.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

cargohills posted:

Hello! Have been looking into getting into PC VR, as there's no way in hell that I'm allowing a new Half-Life game to pass me by without me getting to play it. Few questions:
  • How are the Oculus Rift S and/or Oculus Quest for glasses? I already have a Playstation VR which my glasses fit into fine, is the Oculus similar or significantly worse?

The Rift S has the same halo-style strap that the PSVR uses. The Oculus Quest is the baseball hat style, but it does have an included spacer to make it more accommodating for glasses (but is still worse off than the halo-style strap of the Rift S). It is also wider than the original CV1 which makes it easier to fit glasses inside. The Rift S has a fixed 63.5 mm IPD while the Quest has an adjustable IPD.

cargohills posted:

• The system requirements on the Oculus website for the Rift S says that the minimum CPU requirement is an Intel i5-4590 or better - does an Intel i3-8100 meet that requirement?

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-4590-vs-Intel-i3-8100/2234vs3103

It looks comparable. It isn't really an ideal CPU at all, but it at least meets the minimum requirements. However, keep in mind that you are going through an API translation layer when going from Oculus SDK to SteamVR, so you lose performance. I don't think we can guess how well it will work for you.

cargohills posted:

• How well does the inside-out tracking work with the Oculus? I would imagine it is at least better than the PSVR tracking, but is it a pain to set up or does it just go?

It just works and is miles better than PSVR tracking. When you first put on your headset, you get a low quality grayscale view of the world. You point your hand at the ground and draw your boundaries. It then remembers your play space so the next time you put your headset on, it just works and starts up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sockser posted:

A good VR keyboard solution short-term would be something like Swype, I’d think

Everyone just get index controllers and learn American Sign Language

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Everyone just get index controllers and learn American Sign Language

Sadly, they don't work well for ASL. It was the first thing my wife tried. The finger tracking isn't detailed enough.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I just set up my Valve Index today and I'm having issues with SteamVR. About 50% of the time when I launch it, it crashes my entire system. My main display freezes, and I cannot open task manager or anything. A hard reset appears to be my only option. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

This is using the latest Nvidia drivers on a 1060 6B, here are my full specs:

CPU: Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Could it have anything to do with the number of displays I'm using? I am connected to three monitors ATM (My TV and Main monitor are mirrored, and then I have a second screen).

Brownie fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 17, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You could probably get your phone into VR via one of those desktop connection apps and some sort of interface passthrough to a virtual model in VR.

I've done that and posted screenshots of it before! I'll dig it up.

I set it up so it was attached to the rear of the controller, so if I flipped my hand over like there was a phone in it, the screen would appear. It works but setup is annoying and finicky and touch inputs are unreliable, probably because there's about 3 input layers in the way since I was stacking a bunch of separate tools together in order to achieve this.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

cargohills posted:

I had a really hard time fitting my Rift S over my glasses and was constantly terrified I was going to scratch the lens, so I ordered a pair of plano lens inserts. The Quest was a lot easier for some reason, though it's overall less comfortable than my Rift S.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brownie posted:

I just set up my Valve Index today and I'm having issues with SteamVR. About 50% of the time when I launch it, it crashes my entire system. My main display freezes, and I cannot open task manager or anything. A hard reset appears to be my only option. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

This is using the latest Nvidia drivers on a 1060 6B, here are my full specs:

CPU: Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Could it have anything to do with the number of displays I'm using? I am connected to three monitors ATM (My TV and Main monitor are mirrored, and then I have a second screen).

What's the Power supply in your case like?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's the Power supply in your case like?

A Corsair 550W I believe. What’s interesting is that it happens exactly 50% of the time - every second launch of SteamVR crashes! So after a restart, I can start it with no problems, and if I restart myself before starting it a second time everything works, but launching it twice without restarting is a big no-no.

I contacted Steam support, which asked me to attach the SteamVR System Report but then rejected the ticket telling me I could only attach text files... which it was. So I couldn’t attach it, thanks Valve!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brownie posted:

A Corsair 550W I believe. What’s interesting is that it happens exactly 50% of the time - every second launch of SteamVR crashes! So after a restart, I can start it with no problems, and if I restart myself before starting it a second time everything works, but launching it twice without restarting is a big no-no.

I contacted Steam support, which asked me to attach the SteamVR System Report but then rejected the ticket telling me I could only attach text files... which it was. So I couldn’t attach it, thanks Valve!

Do you have any big stupidly-super-HD games on your system you can try running? Eg; DOOM on max settings?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do you have any big stupidly-super-HD games on your system you can try running? Eg; DOOM on max settings?

Yeah, I was playing COD warzone yesterday with no problems. When Doom 2016 first came out I played it at nearly-max at 1080p on this same machine, although I know PSU's will gradually degrade over time.

To be clear, I was able to play SteamVR for ~2 hours with no problems, just when I try starting it a second time without restarting it crashes. I am pretty suspicious that it's an issue at the driver/kernel level where something is not getting cleaned up/released properly.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Got my wife playing Moss right now as her first experience, she’s loving it.

What she doesn’t know is that I shut off all the lights and left the room, it’s kinda hilarious.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bad Munki posted:

Got my wife playing Moss right now as her first experience, she’s loving it.

What she doesn’t know is that I shut off all the lights and left the room, it’s kinda hilarious.

I look forward to tales of ever escalating prank and counter-prank while in VR

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
A peripheral that just a phone shaped sensor with a touch surface could be really cool in vr, like just render the display in the game who needs a screen even. Stick it in your pocket and pull it out to use the menus or check twitter or whatever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr Phillby posted:

A peripheral that just a phone shaped sensor with a touch surface could be really cool in vr, like just render the display in the game who needs a screen even. Stick it in your pocket and pull it out to use the menus or check twitter or whatever.

You don't even really need a peripheral, it's functionally just index controllers or fingertracking to poke and slide at a 2-dimensional grid.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

But having a physical, touch-sensitive surface to track your physical fingers would probably work and feel a whole lot better than having a virtual surface with no resistance tracking your virtual fingers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TACD posted:

But having a physical, touch-sensitive surface to track your physical fingers would probably work and feel a whole lot better than having a virtual surface with no resistance tracking your virtual fingers.

It is fundamentally a 2D display that you touch to interact with for brief tasks. It's not gonna matter a whole lot if your finger dips through it briefly, and it's way more convenient to be able to have something you can place and forget rather than having to physically dig out a phone and look at it. Basically Oculus Dashboard or OVRToolkit, but with touchscreen interaction.

A peripheral for this would be just an expensive toy doing an cheap job less effectively; For Oculus, has to recognize and track a third object (along with being able to parse "third object in first/second object wrapped around it" so you get more processor overhead. Not a great thing for the Quest. On the Lighthouse side that means sensors, and it won't be cheap once you factor in the processor and battery even using an HDK, to a tune of probably like $100+ USD. Not to mention just juggling this peripheral around your controllers if you're wearing/using some.

SCheeseman posted:

I've done that and posted screenshots of it before! I'll dig it up.

I set it up so it was attached to the rear of the controller, so if I flipped my hand over like there was a phone in it, the screen would appear. It works but setup is annoying and finicky and touch inputs are unreliable, probably because there's about 3 input layers in the way since I was stacking a bunch of separate tools together in order to achieve this.

That's really neat :allears:.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I entered in the beta for Pro Putt. Golf isn't my thing, and I never played in RL, but it's pretty good, when you get an Eagle at 60 feet using a slope you feel badass. It has a polished presentation and it's a game that while the scope is limited (it's only 'putting', not entire golf games) it does it very well.

(jeez the image compression is pretty bad, it's the first time I take upload a photo through Quest/FB)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New DLC for Beat Saber. Timbaland. No idea of who he is.
https://www.oculus.com/blog/oh-timbaland-beat-saber-announces-new-timbaland-music-pack/

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is Revive the gold standard for doing Oculus stuff on my Index?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Is Revive the gold standard for doing Oculus stuff on my Index?

I think it's the only option?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I'm an Oculus user going to SteamVR, but I still have some Oculus games I'd like to play. Is Revive about on par with using Oculus stuff to play Steam games? I read people talking about buying Virtual Desktop, is that something that replicates what the Oculus Rift already has built in?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

neat my controllers came, now to quarantine them until next week

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Nuts and Gum posted:

I'm an Oculus user going to SteamVR, but I still have some Oculus games I'd like to play. Is Revive about on par with using Oculus stuff to play Steam games? I read people talking about buying Virtual Desktop, is that something that replicates what the Oculus Rift already has built in?

Revive is fine.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

cool the first music pack i'm remotely interested in

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Shine posted:

Revive is fine.

Revive is missing a lot of stuff that SteamVR offers (because Oculus also fails to offer this) like room adjustments, granular input bindings and also introduces a lot of jank because SteamVR interprets Revive stuff as seated mode which jacks with a lot of stuff. Rift gets all of these benefits playing OpenVR games in SteamVR. So, Native is waaaaaaaaaaay better, but if you have an extensive library in Oculus you can use Revive to play stuff until you switch your buying habits over to SteamVR.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Woop woop, index controllers just shipped :woop:

just in time to quarantine for two weeks and playing nothing but Alyx

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jenny Agutter posted:

cool the first music pack i'm remotely interested in

a rapper / producer who was somewhat popular in the late 90s / early 2000s, the last time I heard anything about him after that was this one time in the mid-2000s where he heavily sampled some guy's chiptune for one of his songs and then talked poo poo about it when people came out and said he should at least credit the guy who made it

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

raditts posted:

a rapper / producer who was somewhat popular in the late 90s / early 2000s, the last time I heard anything about him after that was this one time in the mid-2000s where he heavily sampled some guy's chiptune for one of his songs and then talked poo poo about it when people came out and said he should at least credit the guy who made it

Current view of the map looks like trash too. It looks like a map from early days before mapping got decent.

Only thing that even looks good about this pack is the new platform tbh.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You land Timbaland and THOSE are the songs you pick?

drat, its like they want us to use custom tracks

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why don't they just get Daft Punk already I need my fix after Alive 2017 never happened.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You land Timbaland and THOSE are the songs you pick?

drat, its like they want us to use custom tracks

Yep, and they are trying to be all "WERE RELEASING NEW MUSIC IN A GAME THATS ALSO KINDA MADE FOR THE GAME! WERE UNIQUE AND SPECIAL!!!!"

You mean like Synth Riders did? And the song was actually exclusive to the game for a while? You know, did the release of new music better in every possible way?

lol beat studios

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Don't know if I will ever buy music for beatsaber unless it comes with some huge caveat like a new game mode.

That said Ghost on the free expansion is my poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

w00tmonger posted:

Don't know if I will ever buy music for beatsaber unless it comes with some huge caveat like a new game mode.

That said Ghost on the free expansion is my poo poo

The dlc packs are some of the best official stuff. The Monstercat pack and rocket league one especially. Still not as good as custom but way better than OST