Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TorakFade posted:

Lol, Conte just said that the entire territory of Italy is "red zone", no leaving home unless it's for work, health or actual real necessity (eg. you have no food in the house)

too little too late, with people still going to work this won't stop

that's much better for me because I will be without a job if the entire national production stops but I'm afraid that many people will die because of it

If I’m understanding correctly you work in commercial logistics correct? The decree explicitly says that commerce is not blocked in any way(NUMBER CANNOT GO DOWN), only sport, tourism and entertainment are going to get shafted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archaeo
Nov 5, 2009

may the power of Hecate compel you

TorakFade posted:

Sorry to say, I don't mean to scare you but that entire area is at very high risk right now :( hopefully they already know but tell them to please don't move from home if possible and avoid all unnecessary social contact, despite budget cuts and everything our healthcare is good (especially in the north, so fleeing south wouldn't be a smart move at all) and unlike in the ol' USofA the government is organizing a good response and helping the population; if they need anything there's volunteers / supermarkets / government people that could get groceries, medicines, testing or whatever is needed delivered to their place if they deem that it's unsafe for them to move.

If they feel sick or need info, there's numbers to call (1500 for general info or 112 for emergencies or their GP doctor directly) without needing to go to the doctor or a hospital, they might be swamped at the moment but I hear people are really doing their best to make everything work.

one of my cousins works in the hospitals. my aunt is a retired doctor and is keeping herself isolated. I know it is a scary zone, but that's like everywhere in a few weeks (likely)...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

SlowBloke posted:

If I’m understanding correctly you work in commercial logistics correct? The decree explicitly says that commerce is not blocked in any way(NUMBER CANNOT GO DOWN), only sport, tourism and entertainment are going to get shafted.

Yes exactly, as long as factories keep producing and trucks can drive around I'm safe (though my father has a B&B that will be royally screwed in the coming months, but he's retired so it's not like he won't have any income. Assuming that, in order to survive, he stops going around town shaking hands and touching people like old italian parents tend to do)

when that stops, I'll be screwed. And it will happen if people start getting sick by the thousands, being allowed by the law to go to work doesn't make you immune to being infected/infecting others and eventually after a while, in a worst case scenario factories will have to stop due to lack of people working. If they don't produce, I'll have nothing to deliver or pick up...

Let's hope we find a solution before that happens!

onestamente mi sto un pò cacando sotto, ho aperto e sono a capo dell'ufficio italiano di una società di trasporti estera da ottobre 2019 e la cosa mi piace assai... se ci tagliano le gambe ora che abbiamo appena iniziato la vedo brutta e non voglio tornare a lavorare come dipendente da altri, sempre che l'economia esista ancora

archaeo posted:

one of my cousins works in the hospitals. my aunt is a retired doctor and is keeping herself isolated. I know it is a scary zone, but that's like everywhere in a few weeks (likely)...

Oh ok so they know how to handle this, that's good. Your cousin, like most every other healthcare professional, is doing God's work and we should all thank them; as far as I can see they're doing a stellar job of trying to keep things going despite the million problems they have now.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 10, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TorakFade posted:

Yes exactly, as long as factories keep producing and trucks can drive around I'm safe (though my father has a B&B that will be royally screwed in the coming months, but he's retired so it's not like he won't have any income. Assuming that, in order to survive, he stops going around town shaking hands and touching people like old italian parents tend to do)

when that stops, I'll be screwed. And it will happen if people start getting sick by the thousands, being allowed by the law to go to work doesn't make you immune to being infected/infecting others and eventually after a while, in a worst case scenario factories will have to stop due to lack of people working. If they don't produce, I'll have nothing to deliver or pick up...

Let's hope we find a solution before that happens!

onestamente mi sto un pò cacando sotto, ho aperto e sono a capo dell'ufficio italiano di una società di trasporti estera da ottobre 2019 e la cosa mi piace assai... se ci tagliano le gambe ora che abbiamo appena iniziato la vedo brutta e non voglio tornare a lavorare come dipendente da altri, sempre che l'economia esista ancora

We are not going there, all this kabuki bullshit is only to slow down contagion. Not stopping it. A full lockdown (commerce included) is both unfeasable(if you expect the average italian to stick to a curfew i've got multiple bridges to sell you) and a political suicide(which is what is likely to make it never applied). The biggest part of the economy(services) can be run remotely with minor effort(if i need to talk to someone for consulting i can easily do it over whatsapp/telegram/skype), and on your front it’s more likely to see mandatory saran-wrap(and decontamination) on all packages before any sort of slowdown, let alone stop.

Broski calmati, blocco totale dell'economia significa Coldiretti e compagnia cantante non solo a fare i consueti sit-in, ma vera guerriglia urbana come non si vedeva dai tempi del dopoguerra, non succederà. Non siamo la Cina, non abbiamo il capitale e lo spirito necessario per murare una città, tanto meno metà del nord.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 10, 2020

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
People can't ever be satisfied by anything. There are many at work that are advocating for a Chinese censorship and writing off the olds deaths as heart attacks in order to not scare the market and save jobs.
The same people would be banging their fists for being lied to by this deceitful government.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Tafferling posted:

People can't ever be satisfied by anything. There are many at work that are advocating for a Chinese censorship and writing off the olds deaths as heart attacks in order to not scare the market and save jobs.
The same people would be banging their fists for being lied to by this deceitful government.

Those are the same people that would be clamoring for just doing pain therapy to olds that gets covid, until their grandmas and such gets it and then they require a whole hospital wing for their loved ones.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Guys good luck.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

limaCAT posted:

Guys good luck.

I stockpiled beans, tuna, long shelf life bread, pasta and have 15 liters of olive oil

I am invincible

(But seriously, crap)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Fool, you're going to need more olive oil.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Stockpiling that much olive oil is a fool’s errand, it will go bad lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The duality of the Italy thread.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

SlowBloke posted:

Stockpiling that much olive oil is a fool’s errand, it will go bad lol

lol here in the south that's considered way too little, we (me+wife) usually consume 8-10 liters in 1 year so we buy 10 liters when it gets pressed in November and have some left over from previous years... my parents in law go through that amount in 3-4 months, I think they have some 20-25 liters down in the garage plus whatever they have stocked at home

it's insane, they put olive oil on literally everything. Bread with cheese? Yeah sure but let's put some olive oil first. On grilled meat? Why not, pour some oil on it. Salads? You bet! Drown 'em in olive oil! Pasta al sugo? Yeah, oh yeah, oil, oil, oil

... what was my point again?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Oil is good

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

TorakFade posted:

... what was my point again?

You name it, you can oil it?

Tafferling posted:

Oil is good

:emptyquote:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Looks like Italy is confirming the observations originally shown in China:

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1238453491917631489

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tesseraction posted:

Looks like Italy is confirming the observations originally shown in China:

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1238453491917631489

There's definitely going to be some key fact/element about Coronavirus, yet undiscovered, that explains why young people are at such a low risk and old people are at such a high risk. If it were just immune system strength, we'd be seeing children dying in much greater numbers.

Apart from the giant loving toll this is going to take on our society, in isolation it's actually a fascinating medical research issue.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Protezione Civile is posting updates every day on GitHub, detailing cases (hospitalized, intensive care, domestic surveillance), deaths and recoveries; someone made a dumb yesterday and posted an "internal" version with some additional data yesterday, they quickly removed it but being GitHub, it's possible to find it in the history :

so in all of Italy, 10 deaths aged 0-49 (1%), 30 aged 50-59 (2%) and 52 (4%) aged "no data" (wtf?). Total of 78% people that died had other diseases, but that doesn't mean anything - everyone over 60 has "other diseases" between diabetes, hypertension, pressure, heart problems... all my parents and parents in law, who are just over 60, have them, and that holds true for most people over 60 that I know.

let's also remember that while it's true that most people dead are old, there's plenty in ICUs that are between 20 and 40, being younger they have higher chances of recovery of course, but they're also more resilient and might just die later

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I would guess the “no age” is due to the paperwork being written in handwriting(so impossible to understand) or medical folders being done expeditely to limit red tape(male/female, blood type, allergies and previous critical issues, the rest is stuff only for INPS).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What is the testing situation like now? Just as and when you're brought to hospital?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Tesseraction posted:

What is the testing situation like now? Just as and when you're brought to hospital?

Self check-in in hospitals is strongly discouraged, you phone a dedicated line and health operators will come to your house to do a swab.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

There's something almost refreshingly wholesome about a bunch of people getting mad at some dude on the other side of the world over making a regional cheese. https://twitter.com/josephcorcoran/status/1239519525588144130?s=21

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Tesseraction posted:

There's something almost refreshingly wholesome about a bunch of people getting mad at some dude on the other side of the world over making a regional cheese. https://twitter.com/josephcorcoran/status/1239519525588144130?s=21

It's sorta like when italians go abroad and ask for "Parmigiano" and get some "Parmesan" no-name brand. The results are always magical(most non-DOP parmesan tends to be astonishingly bad).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SlowBloke posted:

It's sorta like when italians go abroad and ask for "Parmigiano" and get some "Parmesan" no-name brand. The results are always magical(most non-DOP parmesan tends to be astonishingly bad).

Why does it seem to affect Parmesan so badly, I wonder? It seems like any idiot can make cheddar that tastes fine, even if some is better, but non-DOP parmesan is often just putrid.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just looking at the recipes for both, Parmigiano has a whole lot of special requirements (like previous evening milk with morning milk, or 55C temp) whereas cheddar is just throwing some rennet at a bowl of milk and calling it a day. Can easily see why the latter is easier to get decent.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Yeah parmigiano is complicated, expensive, and iirc is part of a whole chain of things (special kind of cows, special feed, the leftovers go to special pig to make special prosciutto) which really can't be replicated exactly elsewhere.

I guess someone could (and probably someone does) make a good enough approximation but without the optimization that cheesemakers that only do this since time immemorial, it would have to be priced to final customers just as much as the real thing so eeeeeh

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

PT6A posted:

Why does it seem to affect Parmesan so badly, I wonder? It seems like any idiot can make cheddar that tastes fine, even if some is better, but non-DOP parmesan is often just putrid.

Because the procedures to make grana* cheeses are industrialization-proof. Try to cut costs anywhere and the end result is a disgusting mess, because almost every single one of the requirements is needed for the final taste.
Yes, even the seemingly irrelevant ones, such as having to coagulate milk in a copper vat, matter. Admittedly one of the requirements is "give your cows actual grass you assholes", but even the little details matter a loving lot.
The end result is that if you're stealing the Parmesan name you're clearly not interested in making anything of quality, so you're cutting all costs and then some, and the end result is horrid.

*the generic term is grana, not Parmesan. Parmesan deliberately avoids the grana nomenclature because it's widely considered the best of grana cheeses.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Omobono posted:

*the generic term is grana, not Parmesan. Parmesan deliberately avoids the grana nomenclature because it's widely considered the best of grana cheeses.

Noted, but I'm specifically referring to what is sold as Parmesan in areas where that title isn't protected. I'm not sure I've ever had a non-Italian cheese marketed as grana, which god knows would be the sensible solution to not appropriating the Parmesan name, but I assume if it were it would, ironically, be a better cheese than what's made and sold as Parmesan in North America.

I thought we were going to have that name protected in Canada, but so far it appears not, we still "Parmesan" that comes out of a loving shaker.

But, more to the point I was getting at, we do make some good cheeses in Canada. We come up with our own names for them though, instead of taking other people's, but my point is that one would think that it would be possible for us to, if desired, make a decent grana using proper techniques. Yet it seems like we don't do this. Ditto for all the garbage "prosciutto" and "serrano" we produce in Canada, those need to be protected names right away because the poo poo people get away with selling here is loving disgusting if you don't make sure to look for the PDO seal.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

PT6A posted:

Noted, but I'm specifically referring to what is sold as Parmesan in areas where that title isn't protected. I'm not sure I've ever had a non-Italian cheese marketed as grana, which god knows would be the sensible solution to not appropriating the Parmesan name, but I assume if it were it would, ironically, be a better cheese than what's made and sold as Parmesan in North America.

I thought we were going to have that name protected in Canada, but so far it appears not, we still "Parmesan" that comes out of a loving shaker.

But, more to the point I was getting at, we do make some good cheeses in Canada. We come up with our own names for them though, instead of taking other people's, but my point is that one would think that it would be possible for us to, if desired, make a decent grana using proper techniques. Yet it seems like we don't do this. Ditto for all the garbage "prosciutto" and "serrano" we produce in Canada, those need to be protected names right away because the poo poo people get away with selling here is loving disgusting if you don't make sure to look for the PDO seal.

There have been multiple attempts to make the brand be worldwide-enforced but the biggest counterfeit countries have a lot more pull on the WTO than Italy. If you start going into that rabbit hole, you will see that a lot of european countries are at each other throats on those kind of issues(like tocai/friulano vs. tokaj) so there is not much cooperation beyond single countries to go enforcing brands.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

There have been multiple attempts to make the brand be worldwide-enforced but the biggest counterfeit countries have a lot more pull on the WTO than Italy. If you start going into that rabbit hole, you will see that a lot of european countries are at each other throats on those kind of issues(like tocai/friulano vs. tokaj) so there is not much cooperation beyond single countries to go enforcing brands.

While that's true, I view it as less of (in this case) giving some concession to Europe/Italy/Spain, and more about protecting Canadian consumers from garbage knockoff products produced by lovely companies. We should want to do this for our own sake, but of course our government cares more about Kraft and those morons than they do about their own citizens.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Military curfew active from today in FVG, unless you are going to work you will get detained and/or arrested. All stores shut down on Sunday(no more exceptions for food/necessities as before).

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

Military curfew active from today in FVG, unless you are going to work you will get detained and/or arrested. All stores shut down on Sunday(no more exceptions for food/necessities as before).

that's insane, how are people supposed to get food

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Doctor Jeep posted:

There are time windows where you can go to get food(08-18), if you go for a walk without a real motive tho you will have to answer to the fuzz.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Doctor Jeep posted:

The other six days of the week.

I'm not sure how the Sunday store shutdown helps TBH, it feels like it will concentrate workers on Saturday whereas before they would at least divide somewhat between Saturday and Sunday.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

NihilCredo posted:

I'm not sure how the Sunday store shutdown helps TBH, it feels like it will concentrate workers on Saturday whereas before they would at least divide somewhat between Saturday and Sunday.

Only big chains are open on sundays, smaller stores are usually closed so everyone that used to go to mom&pops is pretty much untouched. From what i can see from my window the bulk of shopping is done either on mon-thu or fri-sat, sunday is minimum.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

SlowBloke posted:

Military curfew active from today in FVG, unless you are going to work you will get detained and/or arrested.

This is good. No actually this sucks, but it's the only way to go since Italians are allergic to common sense and following "recommendations" or even direct orders. I went for groceries today (and won't go for another 2 weeks or so, I don't want to be like the dumbasses that go twice/day to buy an apple just to take a walk) and the streets were still full of cars, half of which driven by senior citizens, and at 11AM it's not like most people are driving to/from work.

SlowBloke posted:

All stores shut down on Sunday(no more exceptions for food/necessities as before).

This is dumb. They should close all non-essential shops (electronics, etc - leave only repair/hardware/car shops in case something breaks down but hell, Saturn Mediaworld and Euronics can close) but food shops, supermarkets, and pharmacies should be open 24h in order to let people go when they can / think there's less traffic, the more you reduce the opening times and days, the higher chance you have to create crowds...

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TorakFade posted:

This is good. No actually this sucks, but it's the only way to go since Italians are allergic to common sense and following "recommendations" or even direct orders. I went for groceries today (and won't go for another 2 weeks or so, I don't want to be like the dumbasses that go twice/day to buy an apple just to take a walk) and the streets were still full of cars, half of which driven by senior citizens, and at 11AM it's not like most people are driving to/from work.

This is dumb. They should close all non-essential shops (electronics, etc - leave only repair/hardware/car shops in case something breaks down but hell, Saturn Mediaworld and Euronics can close) but food shops, supermarkets, and pharmacies should be open 24h in order to let people go when they can / think there's less traffic, the more you reduce the opening times and days, the higher chance you have to create crowds...

It looks like the city website is a tad more clear, pharmacies(and newsstands for crying out loud, goddamn boomers) are allowed to be open on sundays

Lemme try incorporating the news

https://twitter.com/comuneditrieste/status/1240705572841771008?s=21

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

ah, they'll be shut on sunday only
I understood that they were shutting down from this sunday onwards

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Doctor Jeep posted:

ah, they'll be shut on sunday only
I understood that they were shutting down from this sunday onwards

I almost wish this was true so we'd get it over with and go straight to the inevitable Mad Max societal collapse phase

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TorakFade posted:

I almost wish this was true so we'd get it over with and go straight to the inevitable Mad Max societal collapse phase

All stores shutdown won't happen even if the whole country is widely infected, at that point i wouldn't be suprised to see forcefully relocation of olds(which include most of the politicians) in isolation on some island and survival of the fittest for the rest before a general shutdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

https://www.ilfattoquotidiano.it/20...ssaria/5744922/

Mamma mia! Complete shutdown of all non-essential production activites, nationwide.

We're hosed. I can already hear Confindustria's gnashing of teeth, and this will result in many companies closing and/or downsizing (read: firing a lot of people).

E: apparently the list of "essential production activities" includes (beside the obvious food industries, good transport and pharmaceutical/medical stuff manufacturing) tobacco shops, plastic manufacturing (guess we really need those laundry baskets too - yeah of course companies making these are considered the same as those that make actual important plastic stuff), ropes manufacturing, wholesale distribution of paper and stationery products, aluminum working and production, airplanes+space vehicles production and maintenance beside a whole lot of other things. Of course it wasn't made really clear, there's lists floating around based on "official definitions" according to statistical office and generic classification of economic activities, so they're probably cherrypicking a list of those definitions to include as many big, important industrial companies as possible to avoid pissing off the big powerful capitalists. So um, ok, I guess it's not a complete shutdown at all. But still...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 22, 2020