Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
RBC is the Norbert's Gambit champion (just make offsetting consecutive trades, it'll work out automatically), although Interactive Brokers is even better by just offering spot exchange rates at $2/transaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

pokeyman posted:

I thought TD allows journaling before the first trade settles? Questrade doesn't. Are you ensuring that you'll hold DLR for longer than you want every time instead of just technical issues time?

Fair about commissions though, can't beat free.

Hm, I hadn't considered that, so I should clearly do more research before I start moving things over; right now I've just opened the accounts. For me I wasn't able to journal until the first trade settled. But I think I also didn't execute it perfectly, because I didn't make a corresponding CAD DLR sell order.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My investments are hosed but I'm in it long term. Should I panic sell all my e-series TD index funds or just ride this out for another 10+ years?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Don’t time the market.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

My investments are hosed but I'm in it long term. Should I panic sell all my e-series TD index funds or just ride this out for another 10+ years?

Absolutely the latter, but this is a good time to consider and adjust your risk tolerance. If things like this are making you consider panic selling, the next time you invest, you can try to balance more in favour of bonds rather than stocks.

eta unless you are selling them to move them into ETFs of course.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

xtal posted:

Absolutely the latter, but this is a good time to consider and adjust your risk tolerance. If things like this are making you consider panic selling, the next time you invest, you can try to balance more in favour of bonds rather than stocks.

I went in 100% high risk knowing there'd be large ups and downs. I'm just worried "this time it's different" and will never recover and this is the end of capitalism. But if capitalism still exists when I retire, great, I have these funds and they're up overall. If it doesn't exist and we actually have a working civilization then great, I don't need to worry about money anymore. Or it's a fascist mad max situation and my investments wouldn't have mattered anyways.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Maybe start working out so if we end up in a fascist Mad Max situation you can be the guy in assless chaps on the back of a motorcycle.

edit: In order to be actually on topic, I'm considering upping my weekly RRSP contributions by like 50%. We'll see if I can get my wife to agree. We should have increased them ages ago, but have been putting it off, so... no time like the present!

odiv fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 16, 2020

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

xtal posted:

Absolutely the latter, but this is a good time to consider and adjust your risk tolerance.

Well, it's a good time to consider. Ideally wait to adjust until after some recovery, so you're not locking in losses.

Easier said than done though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Baronjutter posted:

I went in 100% high risk knowing there'd be large ups and downs. I'm just worried "this time it's different" and will never recover and this is the end of capitalism. But if capitalism still exists when I retire, great, I have these funds and they're up overall. If it doesn't exist and we actually have a working civilization then great, I don't need to worry about money anymore. Or it's a fascist mad max situation and my investments wouldn't have mattered anyways.
This is not the end of capitalism, but it's vomit inducing ride and I really wish I got off last month when I thought about it.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
When we start recovering would it be a bad idea to dump all my bonds and buy index funds and then just put all my contributions from then on in to bonds until I recover my ratio?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
It's a perfect idea provided everyone agrees that it's the bottom :)

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Including the market itself :v:

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
So, I uh, was going to use today (a day off) to move some of my investments around from my 2.35% fee fund to a Vanguard ETF.

I'm...not sure what to do now. Whatever gains I've made over the past few years is gone so, is this a good time to sell/transfer and start with a Vanguard ETF or do I wait longer? I'm bad at this.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Might as well. Everything is being equally punished so you're p much selling low to buy low.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

If you have anything in a regular account (non RRSP/TFSA) and transfer it now, you won't have to worry about capital gains tax :v:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vasler posted:

So, I uh, was going to use today (a day off) to move some of my investments around from my 2.35% fee fund to a Vanguard ETF.

I'm...not sure what to do now. Whatever gains I've made over the past few years is gone so, is this a good time to sell/transfer and start with a Vanguard ETF or do I wait longer? I'm bad at this.

I really wouldn't move it all over at once, maybe just start dollar cost averaging and move over like 5-10% every week or so.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Vasler posted:

Things are pretty volatile right now, so try not to wait too long (hours or days) between trades. And use limit orders, but that's standard advice at any time. Really it's just another day. You're not locking in a loss like you would by selling everything, and the second you stop paying big fees you're saving that money.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If he's selling a mutual fund, the trade might not take effect until the end of the trading day AFTER he commits to selling, and then he'd need to wait another day or two to get hold of the cash to reinvest.

When things are moving up or down 5-10% per day, there's no real predicting what sort of price he'd end up at, and the missing day(s?) of action will make 1.5% in annual fees pale in comparison.

(Probably for the best right now the way things are falling, but maybe he misses a two day bounce instead.)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ah right forgot about mutual funds, good point!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
WealthSimple Cash is now 1.4% so I guess I'll just pull the few hundred I had in there and put it back in my checking account.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I just transferred a couple grand into a new Wealthsimple Trade RRSP account to pick up some stuff. Been meaning to up my RRSPs for a while and now seems like an ok time. Will now have to decide between doing the sensible thing by picking up an ETF or finding a stock I think is undervalued for the riskier, but more fun move.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

20% of my net worth got vaporized in two weeks, but so what? I'm chill and ready for this virus to start The Great Depression 3: This Time It's Personal. I'll just be watching others in the market lose their drat minds and panic sell while I turtle up and keep buying cheap.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Olive Branch posted:

20% of my net worth got vaporized in two weeks, but so what? I'm chill and ready for this virus to start The Great Depression 3: This Time It's Personal. I'll just be watching others in the market lose their drat minds and panic sell while I turtle up and keep buying cheap.

I don't know how actively you invest but if you've lost 5-10% more than index ETFs in the last 2 weeks maybe you should be placing protective puts?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

VelociBacon posted:

I don't know how actively you invest but if you've lost 5-10% more than index ETFs in the last 2 weeks maybe you should be placing protective puts?
I'm a fully passive investor. I don't do any active trading outside of buying ETFs when part of my paycheck hits Questrade.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

VelociBacon posted:

VGRO is down 20% from its peak

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BMan posted:

VGRO is down 20% from its peak

Oh so it is, fair enough.

E: guess who bought MGM puts yesterday :getin:

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 18, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Thinkin' bout an investment loan but the TD person I asked to says they don't do it anymore?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
They’re called HELOCs, banks want collateral nowadays.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm a renter so :rip:

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Hey hey, its me again, guy who knows nothing about investing.

yippee cahier posted:

Generally I think the sequence goes: pay off debt in order of interest rate, build up emergency fund, max out TFSA, max out RRSP, talk to fee based financial planner for unregistered investment advice.

I have no debts / My giant pile of money in my savings account is my emergency fund / okay I can do this / I don't have an RRSP / will think about this.

Okay so on that note, I have basically no investments and just a big pile of money in a savings account: would it be a terrible idea to dump this all into, I dunno, oil, right now?

KIDDING about the oil. But you get the idea. I'm extremely free to invest right now.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Cyril Sneer posted:

I have no debts / My giant pile of money in my savings account is my emergency fund / okay I can do this / I don't have an RRSP / will think about this.

Okay so on that note, I have basically no investments and just a big pile of money in a savings account: would it be a terrible idea to dump this all into, I dunno, oil, right now?

KIDDING about the oil. But you get the idea. I'm extremely free to invest right now.

Now is a good time to put all of that into VGRO or VBAL since they're on sale

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Cyril Sneer posted:

It's statistically always a good time to invest, in the long term. Given how volatile everything is right now it might make you feel more comfortable doing a dollar-cost-averaging strategy by moving cash into your investments in a bit at a time over the next while. For example by investing 1/2, then 1/4, then 1/8, then the rest of your money, over the next month or two.

Keep in mind that a TFSA doesn't need to just be a cash savings account, you can open a TFSA investment account with a broker (like Questrade for example) and then move money into it to invest in, for example, an exchange traded fund (ETF) that fits your risk tolerance, such as the ones offered by Vanguard or Blackrock. A big benefit of these is that they rebalance every day, which is good when the market is so volatile.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Is Questrade what most people are using to do this stuff? What's the difference between it and say Wealthsimple?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Lol, TD hasn't been allowing trades all morning and their tech support number just goes straight to "all our circuits are busy, try again later" and hangs up.

Shits dying, cloud.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Cyril Sneer posted:

Is Questrade what most people are using to do this stuff? What's the difference between it and say Wealthsimple?

Wealthsimple takes a percentage of your assets to do the equivalent of buying e.g. VGRO using a discount broker. It's permanently more expensive in exchange for being a bit more convenient. Over a 25 year span you'll hand 9.5% of your money to Wealthsimple just to hold the same ETFs you could buy directly. That's a lot, but you'll probably have more money overall than you would leaving that money in a bank account, so that might be worth it to a lot of people.

Questrade is one of many discount brokers in Canada. All the big banks have one too, and there's a few others. It's a bit more work to invest through them as opposed to a Wealthsimple. They're mostly interchangeable except for fees.

Questrade is a thread favorite because they charge no commission to buy the ETFs you'll want as a passive indexer, and they don't charge much commission to sell. I use Questrade for long-term savings because the commission-free buys mean I can contribute to my savings anytime. If I had to pay commission then I'd accumulate for a few months before buying anything, which would let me pay only 3 or 4 times a year instead of 12.

Fees (as a percentage or fixed per-transaction) are one of the few things you can easily control when investing. You can get them very low without much work.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
Don't confuse Wealthsimple and Wealthsimple Trade.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Just gonna keep buying VGRO and VBAL as the whole damned trading system falls to pieces.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Kal Torak posted:

Would you care to explain the difference between Weathsimple Trade and Questtrade?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Kal Torak posted:

I totally was! Wealthsimple Trade sounds pretty good? Does anyone have experience with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It's phone only, quotes delayed (though you're probably not using it for pricing anyway), can't hold USD cash, and pay a lot for nonCAD exchange rates.

Other than that, I've been good with it.