Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

d3lness posted:

From the experienced villagers out there, what do you usually do during the first week or so considering the slow startup and burn of the game? Is the first leg of gameplay just meeting citizens, getting tools, and selling fruit?

Hard to say because this game starts off very differently from previous games. In all the previous games, the town was already in place and most of the buildings were already there. Here, we're building from scratch. From what I heard anyway, you'll be scrounging around for about a week before all the cool stuff starts pouring in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidder
Mar 19, 2003

King of the Cat Tree

Oven Wrangler
Gyroid chat: Don't the gyroids show up after it rains? So maybe they didn't have any rain yet and that's why? (I dunno, I'm not a Gyroidologist, just trying to give the gyroid fans some hope)

Thanks for the sweet tag!

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

d3lness posted:

From the experienced villagers out there, what do you usually do during the first week or so considering the slow startup and burn of the game? Is the first leg of gameplay just meeting citizens, getting tools, and selling fruit?

If nothing else, might be a good time for getting a feel for your island/how things are laid out if you want to plan out where you want to put things or shape terrain later on.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

d3lness posted:

The first like 7 hours is just staring at the Town Name screen trying to think of something.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

little 3 minute tour of what an island can look like 18 days in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRoc-LQeg-k

i dunno if this is new info but he mentions that his house used to be on the beach but he moved it later on, which is pretty awesome for the indecisive players out there

Fuuuuuuuck this was probably the most ACNH I've seen other than walking by the booth at PAX East(RIP me) but it looks so goddamn good holy gently caress holy gently caress.

Casu Marzu posted:

The first like 7 hours is just staring at the Town Name screen trying to think of something.

Yeah I'm starting today to devote a nonzero portion of my daily brainpower to hopefully avoid this...

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Brother Entropy posted:

little 3 minute tour of what an island can look like 18 days in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRoc-LQeg-k

i dunno if this is new info but he mentions that his house used to be on the beach but he moved it later on, which is pretty awesome for the indecisive players out there

Good to have confirmation.

I assume you can move everything except the airport and probably the town square, because you can't even cross the river without inventing the pole so being able to relocate your house/villager houses to locked off areas makes sense. Otherwise everything early-game is clustered in that one little starting zone.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well, suppose I should finally get around to adding my info to the group, hopefully online AC will be easy figure out since it's new to me :confuoot: SW-0745-2186-9602

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Another tour of someone's island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg5gaIN7o3A

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I don't know if this has been posted, but something to keep in mind:

https://twitter.com/_acmocha/status/1239105476903796742?s=20

I saw this and it caused me to draw a line in the sand re: island planning. All just a little too big brain for me. I'm goin' in the same way I went into New Leaf -- dumb as a brick!

Anybody soaking up the leaks -- have we gotten confirmation of island name pre/suffixes in the English version?

UPU
Oct 20, 2010

Nyuck you say

Biscuit Hider

Infinitum posted:

Next batch queued up

Approaching 250 tags :ninja:

Please add me to your list for the Raccoon Goons gang tag. Thanks!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

facial hair looks weird on animal crossing villagers, ngl

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

d3lness posted:

Animal Crossing is a chill game. You just chill. Probably you'll want to get your basic tools so you can start skipping through the fields catching butterflies right away. Also fishing.

Other than that, chill. Explore your island, catch bugs and fish, chat up your neighbors. Think about where you want to put things. Visit other people's islands, steal their fruit, and bother their villagers. You can plant other people's fruit in your own town, and- if it works the same as it did in all the other games, you can sell the fruit from those trees for a lot more than your native fruit goes for.

But I can't emphasize enough that this is not a game you min/max. Just chill.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Absolute sociopath not even filling in the holes he digs

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/Ultrashroomz/status/1239612395330260992

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Those who are reading reviews: Is the catalog/cataloging items still a thing?

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Silver Falcon posted:

But I can't emphasize enough that this is not a game you min/max. Just chill.

This is the big reason I've decided to give the series another shot. Since I originally played AC:NL, my tastes in games has changed quite a bit. My PC ate poo poo and I never bothered to fix it. I've played exclusively on various consoles since. EO flung me into RPGs and my play style has angled hard towards slow and deliberate since. Hell, my new favorite vice is wasting hours at a time exploring in Elite Dangerous. I think I'm trying to say that I'm old and this game is perfect for my new geriatric tendencies.

E: Thanks to all the gonna who responded to the question.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
I might me crazy. But I'm still holding out for a physical version from Target. I want that journal and I didn't preorder in time. If things go south by Friday, I'll relent and go *gulp* digital.

(also I wanted to see my 1st ever gang tag)

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8nh00TRVUY

Initial character creation and island selection.

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009
My New Leaf town name was Elbow. I have absolutely no idea why :iiam:

On the other hand, I'm so mystified by the thought process (it was only a few years ago, how do I not remember at all?) that I may reuse it. Elbow Isle?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

It's real nice to see a nice island, instead of the absolute kips some reviewers are trying to show off today.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

d3lness posted:

I couldn't get into gyroids. I never found one that fit a look I was going for. I might have liked them in New Horizons if I could place then creepily outside just barely behind trees for Halloween during fall.

Did somebody say gang tag friend stamp? I would like a gang tag, please. I mean friend stamp.

I would collect Gyroids, and fill my basement with gyroids. It would then fill my entire house with gyroids until there was no furniture left. Only gyroids.

The gyroids are love, life, and incidentally, 42.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I'm wondering what to name myself/my island... Normally I go for a "gamey" name (like Clocks) but I might just go with my real name (Anna) this time. Which is funny, I went with Clocks for pocket camp and ran across a few Annas and I was like, dang, if they knew... but if I play online at all, that might get confusing for the people who don't personally know me.

As for the island, I'm guessing the US doesn't get any special "isle/island" additions, so it's just ten characters? A friend of mine suggested "Clock Town" - like from Majora's Mask - in honor of my name, but since I've never actually played the game (although I believe I watched an LP a long time ago) I am not sure I could do it justice... "Twin Peaks" fits in ten characters too... usually I am not too creative though, and certainly not very decisive, as y'all can tell by my posting style with the parentheticals and ellipses. :p

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Clocks posted:

I'm wondering what to name myself/my island... Normally I go for a "gamey" name (like Clocks) but I might just go with my real name (Anna) this time. Which is funny, I went with Clocks for pocket camp and ran across a few Annas and I was like, dang, if they knew... but if I play online at all, that might get confusing for the people who don't personally know me.

As for the island, I'm guessing the US doesn't get any special "isle/island" additions, so it's just ten characters? A friend of mine suggested "Clock Town" - like from Majora's Mask - in honor of my name, but since I've never actually played the game (although I believe I watched an LP a long time ago) I am not sure I could do it justice... "Twin Peaks" fits in ten characters too... usually I am not too creative though, and certainly not very decisive, as y'all can tell by my posting style with the parentheticals and ellipses. :p

You may not of played the game before, but you'll probably have a town full of psychopaths so that will be close enough!

(Majora's Mask freaking rules)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I just spent like an hour adding every single goon friend code from the spreadsheet why isn't it Friday yet

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I was unaware of this song until today but it's super-great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNo0pFHkBHQ

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
I shall be Skipper of Gilliga Isle.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Everybody is making up these silly and great island names. Y'all making me look like a try hard with Muspelheim.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

This thread is getting me excited for this game. Like, weirdly excited. I've never played a AC game before, so I don't know why I'm excited, but I'm really looking forward to setting up on my island.

My GotY for 2019 was BotW. (I was late getting a Switch.) I think I'm going to approach this game like it's BotW without combat. I just want to explore and try things out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zucker is in :neckbeard:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Inu posted:

This thread is getting me excited for this game. Like, weirdly excited. I've never played a AC game before, so I don't know why I'm excited, but I'm really looking forward to setting up on my island.

My GotY for 2019 was BotW. (I was late getting a Switch.) I think I'm going to approach this game like it's BotW without combat. I just want to explore and try things out.

You are in for a real treat, friend. First Animal Crossing games make really powerful memories.

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

Clocks posted:

Majora's Mask is one of my favorite games and I always name my town Termina. Clock Town is an excellent name for you to use, even if you know nothing about the game. It's a weird place, go wild with it and do whatever you want. :buddy:

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I haven’t preordered stuff off the Eshop much, when it hits Friday at midnight I can just play my digital copy right ?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

You may not of played the game before, but you'll probably have a town full of psychopaths so that will be close enough!

(Majora's Mask freaking rules)

Flowers posted:

Majora's Mask is one of my favorite games and I always name my town Termina. Clock Town is an excellent name for you to use, even if you know nothing about the game. It's a weird place, go wild with it and do whatever you want. :buddy:

Aw, thanks guys. Assuming there's no -isle/-island suffix then I may actually go with that idea, it's a way to incorporate part of my name while using my real name for my villager!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

fit em all up in there posted:

I haven’t preordered stuff off the Eshop much, when it hits Friday at midnight I can just play my digital copy right ?

unless they're doing something different from other nintendo releases it'll unlock midnight EST

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

unless they're doing something different from other nintendo releases it'll unlock midnight EST

Cali wins again.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Have any of the reviewers said anything about the prefix/suffix for our islands?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I'm going to name my island Carcosa, and everything will be yellow. Or else.

Illithid Activity
Sep 5, 2015

Could I please get the racoon goon gang tag? I tend to lurk but have added myself to the friendcode database / discord and am looking forward to trying to be a bit more social thanks to this game.

Preordered a physical copy for my 13-year-old daughter, and am purchasing digital for myself. :3: We can't wait for Friday!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i named my town athens in every game so far and then i think the game grumps did too....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

yorkinshire posted:

I shall be Skipper of Gilliga Isle.

I like this idea.