Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

military cervix posted:

I work in one such lab. We could presumably do the RNA-extraction and run the PCRs easily enough, but I would be extremely concerned with the quality control of us doing such a thing. Being a bioingeniør is a very specialized education for a reason, running consistent medical tests is pretty different from just doing lab research. They apparently are attempting to get an overview of which of the departments employees/student's have a background as bioingeniørs, though.

i 100% refuse to believe that you couldn't take a bunch of omics people and train them enough to be effective in a couple of days. i literally do not believe that bioingeniør training is that different from standard lab genetics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dirk Pitt posted:

So if the WHO is advising testing, why is Sweden saying no testing?
They want to let the virus run its course and decimate the older native Swedish population, allowing the younger immigrant population to complete their takeover. Or if you prefer the non-right wing conspiracy theory angle; they're afraid of what testing would reveal, so they're going with the "corona can't hurt me if I don't see it" plan.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

V. Illych L. posted:

i 100% refuse to believe that you couldn't take a bunch of omics people and train them enough to be effective in a couple of days. i literally do not believe that bioingeniør training is that different from standard lab genetics

Eh, you might be right. Running one relatively straightforward test is probably within reach. My main experience with this is studying alongside bioingeniørs for my master's, and my impression was that their study was fundamentally very different from my molecular biology-focused bachelors. However, if the false positive/negative changes significantly, which I would say is pretty likely with PCR-based tests, it changes the value of doing tests quite dramatically.

At this point it is not really clear to me what is the limiting factor for testing in Norway Does anyone know?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They want to let the virus run its course and decimate the older native Swedish population, allowing the younger immigrant population to complete their takeover. Or if you prefer the non-right wing conspiracy theory angle; they're afraid of what testing would reveal, so they're going with the "corona can't hurt me if I don't see it" plan.

Sweden knows basic economics, which dictates that old and fragile people are a drain on society, and getting rid of them is good for long-term growth. It's basic neoliberalism.

What is that about other values than growth? Sounds like some hippie nonsense!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dirk Pitt posted:

So if the WHO is advising testing, why is Sweden saying no testing?
Don't-rock-the-boat-itis. Someone I know is a first responder, their sambo has corona symptoms but was refused testing, he has early symptoms and his boss pressured him into showing up for work. Not for emergency management mind you, but to oversee a planned fire drill by the local water company. People are being hilariously complacent.

Katt posted:

I do get the logic of not testing everyone but at the same time if I do have it. I'd like to be able to inform the people I've been in contact with so they can be careful with other people/old people.
Testing is what makes the difference because it's what triggers the move from quarantine to isolation, doubly so if you're willing to do family isolation.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 16, 2020

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

BonHair posted:

Sweden knows basic economics, which dictates that old and fragile people are a drain on society, and getting rid of them is good for long-term growth. It's basic neoliberalism.

What is that about other values than growth? Sounds like some hippie nonsense!

My orange envelope says I need to work to age 78 if I want to keep my current wage. Old people had a good run but it's time to go.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Katt posted:

I do get the logic of not testing everyone but at the same time if I do have it. I'd like to be able to inform the people I've been in contact with so they can be careful with other people/old people.

It's a capacity problem and they're prioritizing accordingly.

https://twitter.com/f_hieronymus/status/1239585781288706048

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah I get it but I'm just stating my feelings and that "just wait it out you'll be fine" isn't comforting.

A friends wife might have it (fever, painful breathing, dry cough). He's feeling a bit down (fever dry cough). We have spent time together.

I have no symptoms (yet) but I have a co-worker who's wife is immunocompromised with reduced lung capacity from having had cancer. So if he catches it then she will absolutely catch it and then she might die.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Katt posted:

Yeah I get it but I'm just stating my feelings and that "just wait it out you'll be fine" isn't comforting.

A friends wife might have it (fever, painful breathing, dry cough). He's feeling a bit down (fever dry cough). We have spent time together.

I have no symptoms (yet) but I have a co-worker who's wife is immunocompromised with reduced lung capacity from having had cancer. So if he catches it then she will absolutely catch it and then she might die.

This is kind of why we should test. Why the gently caress are we going against recommendations from NGO's that are full of experts? I get it cost, but we are at an advantage in that we have our own currency here.

People need to know if they have it so they can isolate. The you'll be fine and no antibiotics for you citizen line only goes so far.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Dirk Pitt posted:

People need to know if they have it so they can isolate. The you'll be fine and no antibiotics for you citizen line only goes so far.

Antibiotics for a virus what? That would not make me a calm citizen at all.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

That dude is swallowing the coolaid. Yes the current strategy is optimized. If you're a moron who's not ordered/stockpiled tests on time. Half the reason SK is doing so well is because they shifted their local capacity to test making on the loving double.
https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1239582152016224269

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

That dude is swallowing the coolaid. Yes the current strategy is optimized. If you're a moron who's not ordered/stockpiled tests on time. Half the reason SK is doing so well is because they shifted their local capacity to test making on the loving double.

Probably a lot easier for SK since they have Samsung Biologics.
What company in Sweden have the capacity to churn out these tests in a massive way?

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Tegnell decided that sweden is gonna be the control population with no containment. Makes for a nifty comparison with similar Scandinavian countries when researchers write about covid 19 in 5 years.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Scandinavian politics: All makt åt Tegnell

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tegnell?

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Sveriges Statsepidemiologi

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Fader Movitz posted:

Sveriges Statsepidemiologi

och en riktig rövhatt när han var på Socialstyrelsen enligt en vän som haft en hel del med honom att göra

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Academically he have produced papers for the last 30 years within his field, so there should be no doubt on his expertise. Also seems like more of a bureaucrat kind of scientist.
And as anyone who have done a PhD will tell you, being good academically doesn’t necessarily translate to being a nice person or a good boss.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
What is the Swedish equivalent of “boomer” and how do I make it a rhyme with a disease or “remover” of some sort?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

teen witch posted:

What is the Swedish equivalent of “boomer” and how do I make it a rhyme with a disease or “remover” of some sort?

Gråsosse?

Cause Swedish social democrats share a number of political characteristics with US republicans, although not political content.
The focus on party, ageing voters, a feeling that things were better before modern times (often manifested in this thread), holding your nose and voting for your party (as opposed to the division among center-right), stacking the bureaucracy with party loyalists, party leaders following party line above all. The list goes on.

I don’t think people below 30 have a sense of the massive influence S have had on Swedish society.

Cardiac fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 17, 2020

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Cardiac posted:

Academically he have produced papers for the last 30 years within his field, so there should be no doubt on his expertise. Also seems like more of a bureaucrat kind of scientist.
And as anyone who have done a PhD will tell you, being good academically doesn’t necessarily translate to being a nice person or a good boss.

Publishing articles, even in highly ranked journals, is also not a sign of knowing poo poo about anything, especially practical and policy matters. Ask literally any economist. Go ahead and ask the fake Nobel price winning ones too.

I’m not saying that he definitely doesn’t know his poo poo. Just that if you think publishing is a sign of quality of research or knowledge on the authors part, you’re comically naive and possibly also an actual idiot. Anyone can get published, even in the best journals, even with poorly designed experiments, with incredibly sophomoric understanding of method and theory, as long as they know how to write academically, and have a good sense of the journal article form, and most importantly have good networks with editors of journals. That is unfortunately the sad state of academia and publishing today.

Probably the WHO has some smart epidemiologists as well, and it kinda goes against their recommendations. From a layman’s perspective, building herd immunity while protecting the weak parts of the population seems hard, if it’s true that that a poo poo ton of young people have it but don’t even notice, as the South Korean vs Italian data suggest.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Publishing articles, even in highly ranked journals, is also not a sign of knowing poo poo about anything, especially practical and policy matters. Ask literally any economist. Go ahead and ask the fake Nobel price winning ones too.

I’m not saying that he definitely doesn’t know his poo poo. Just that if you think publishing is a sign of quality of research or knowledge on the authors part, you’re comically naive and possibly also an actual idiot. Anyone can get published, even in the best journals, even with poorly designed experiments, with incredibly sophomoric understanding of method and theory, as long as they know how to write academically, and have a good sense of the journal article form, and most importantly have good networks with editors of journals. That is unfortunately the sad state of academia and publishing today.

So how many publications do you have?

Tegnell have published for 30 years in journals with decent but not super high impact factor. His publishing fits the pattern of an academic who mostly worked as medical doctor and bureaucrat, and published on the side. Saying he is not scientifically competent is clearly wrong.

Whether the measures FHM propose are correct is a completely different question. Tegnell is the spokesperson and every decision is in all likelihood based on consensus among the people within FHM.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1239582152016224269

How is he swallowing the coolaid? We have a lovely preparation because our healthcare system is in a semi-permanent crisis mode even in the best of conditions due to the glory of tax cuts and NPM. He's just stating facts, we do not have the capacity and who knows how long it'll take before we do.

This is the state of Stockholms healthcare before Covid-19 started clogging up the emergency wards and ICU's:

https://www.dn.se/sthlm/allt-fler-stabslagen-pa-grund-av-vardplatsbrist/

quote:

Personalen på Södersjukhuset lämnade på tisdagseftermiddagen in en så kallad 6:6 a-anmälan till Arbetsmiljöverket som är en begäran om att arbetsgivaren vidtar arbetsmiljöåtgärder. Anmälan innehåller även personalens beskrivning av den kaotiska situationen på akutmottagningen under helgen som tvingade sjukhuset i stabsläge.

Överläkaren Clara Strömberg är huvudskyddsombud för Saco och arbetade som ansvarig ledningsläkare under helgen.

– När jag kom på söndagsmorgonen ville personalen gå hem. Redan då kontaktade jag Arbetsmiljöverket för ett eventuellt skyddsstopp eftersom jag upplevde att det fanns risk för personalens hälsa, säger Clara Strömberg, som även är ordförande i läkarföreningen på Södersjukhuset.

Personalens larm fick ledningen att senare under dagen utlösa stabsläge, vilket bland annat innebar att personal beordrades in och beredskapen skärptes. Facket uppmanade samtidigt personalen att skriva ned hur de mådde just då till en anmälan.

– Personalen mår dåligt. De har ångest, har etisk stress och hjärtklappning, de känner sig uppgivna. Vi har haft en ansträngd situation länge och den blir bara blir värre.

Stockholms Healthcare is still on the budget from last november that effectively demands billion SEK cuts of costs. Even with state financial aid and coordination they're not exactly an organization primed for effectively adapting to these changing circumstances.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 17, 2020

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

We don't have capacity.

https://www.dn.se/sthlm/fredrik-testade-positivt-for-corona-och-isolerades-men-provsvaret-var-fel/

quote:

Fredrik, 37, testade positivt för det nya coronaviruset och isolerades på Karolinska i Huddinge. Hans vänner, fru och små barn sattes i karantän och hans kollegor fick inte komma till jobbet. Men efter två dygn fick han beskedet: Han har inte corona, provet hade kontaminerats på labbet.

– Det var en hemsk känsla, men glädjen över att jag inte har corona överväger allt, säger Fredrik.

It gets worse.

quote:

Fredrik gör som han blir tillsagd. Han uppsöker privatkliniken igen. Efter en ny bedömning skickas han vidare till akuten på S:t Görans sjukhus på Kungsholmen. Senare ska de hävda att risken för andra patienter varit minimal då han kom in. De ska säga att han behandlades enskilt. I själva verket blir Fredrik sittande i det allmänna väntrummet i en och en halv timme.

Han undersöks av sjuksköterska. Temperatur, blodtryck. Därefter åter tillbaka till det allmänna väntrummet. Undersökning av läkare. Därefter avvakta i väntrummet tills det finns ett rum.

Först när Fredrik får ett eget rum på en medicinsk vårdavdelning för svårt sjuka patienter, med allt från cancer till lungsjukdomar, börjar vårdpersonalen använda munskydd och handskar. När Fredrik transporteras inom sjukhuset måste även han använda munskydd.

Fredrik lyfter åter frågan: kan det vara corona? Han tror det knappt själv, men vill samtidigt utesluta risken, inte minst för att han har tre barn, varav två prematura bebisar. Dagen innan har Folkhälsomyndigheten dessutom beslutat att utöka testerna till patienter med luftvägssymtom utan känd orsak.

Inte sannolikt blir svaret, han uppfyller inte kriterierna.

Men när man inte kommer närmare en förklaring till Fredriks tillstånd ber läkarna på S:t Göran regionen om ett coronatest. Svaret blir nej. Då släpper även sjukhusets personal på skyddsåtgärderna, enligt Fredrik. Munskydd och handskar av.

– Efter det får jag röra mig fritt. Jag är och hämtar nattmacka på avdelningens fik, hänvisas till en kiosk utanför sjukhuset när sjukhusets egen har stängt.

På söndagen beslutas att han trots allt ska testas för nya coronaviruset. Provet skickas akut till Folkhälsomyndigheten för analys.

Sent på kvällen kommer provsvaret: det är positivt.

And even worse.

quote:

Fredriks prov hade i själva verket blivit kontaminerat på Folkhälsomyndighetens laboratorium, enligt Karin Tegmark Wisell, avdelningschef mikrobiologi på Folkhälsomyndigheten. Virusmolekyler har förts över från ett patientprov till ett annat. Detta fångades upp av kontrollsystemen, som signalerade att proven behövde köras om. Men då en och samma person har ansvar för såväl analys som kontroll missades detta på kvällen.

– Man kan säga att det är den mänskliga faktorn men att det tack vare våra kontrollsystem snabbt identifierades, säger hon.

Under ordinarie arbetstid skulle felet ha upptäckts direkt, eftersom det då finns möjlighet till dubbla kontrollsystem, menar Karin Tegmark Wisell. Men på kvällar och helger har en och samma person ansvarat för såväl analysen som kontrollen och dubbelkontroll görs påföljande morgon.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 17, 2020

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

:staredog:

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Cardiac posted:

So how many publications do you have?

Plenty, including in the top ranked journal in my field (small as it is) and I’ve peer reviewed a poo poo ton in a much wider field. I’m not saying that he is wrong, or even that I think he doesn’t know his poo poo. I’m saying using academic publishing as a measure for whether people know their poo poo, it’s loving hilarious and the hallmark of someone who thinks they know how academia works, but actually has no idea, and who is possibly also a dumbshit moron. It’s a a tiny galaxy brain step up from thinking that having a PhD means you’re a naturally gifted genius, when in reality anyone can do it, if they can get funding. It just means you’re able to worked in a structured way for 3 years and the depression/stress/anxiety/divorce didn’t make you give up. I understand that some people cope with imposter syndrome by cultivating a smug a feeling of intellectual superiority into their identity though. No posters named, no posters forgotten.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fader Movitz posted:

Scandinavian politics: All makt åt Tegnell

We'll see each other in Nangijala.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Swedish secondary and post-secondary schools have finally been switched to distance education, starting tomorrow.

I can kind of understand the reasoning about not closing primary schools (forcing everyone to babysit has tons of complications), but I don't understand why they didn't do this earlier given that several campuses had confirmed cases last week.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cardiac posted:

What company in Sweden have the capacity to churn out these tests in a massive way?
thermo fisher maybe. You don't need the capacity to be local per se, you need to give a poo poo about developing or acquiring it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Alhazred posted:

We'll see each other in Nangijala.

Could we skip right to Nangilima and get it over with?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

We don't have capacity.
I'm not arguing we do, but if you don't and you're not frantically working on that instead of loving dilly-dallying about whether to keep people home when literally the rest of scandinavia is on lockdown you're criminally loving negligent. I don't even know any loving old people here and it makes me steam.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
As a young person with no living elderly/sick relatives and no political or financial capital I keep switching between feelings of outrage, bewilderment and utter nihilism at how the people in power are handling this. It's suicidal.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Heads up, SJ is planning on cancelling trips starting today. Some trips will go, but I don’t think they’re updating as fast as they should be because, well, this is SJ.

time to call work and see how this’ll go over. Just do work from home entirely not this every other day poo poo oh my god.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

I'm not arguing we do, but if you don't and you're not frantically working on that instead of loving dilly-dallying about whether to keep people home when literally the rest of scandinavia is on lockdown you're criminally loving negligent. I don't even know any loving old people here and it makes me steam.

Take a deep breath. No quarantine measure is going to make testing capacity grow faster, it'll take whatever time it needs to take.

Mercrom posted:

As a young person with no living elderly/sick relatives and no political or financial capital I keep switching between feelings of outrage, bewilderment and utter nihilism at how the people in power are handling this. It's suicidal.

We'll only know that in retrospect. Stop panicking.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

If any of you actually want to help I'd advise contacting your local municipality and signing up to a temp worker in elderly care. We're extremely, really dangerously, understaffed nation-wide as of Wednesdays new recommendations and we're the only thing keeping the elderly out of hospitals. Even if you have another job you can work evenings and weekends, introductions are short (typically 3 workdays + short delegation course) and more people are sorely needed.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

Take a deep breath. No quarantine measure is going to make testing capacity grow faster, it'll take whatever time it needs to take.
Dude. Quarantine measures reduce the need for testing, it's not rocket science.

MiddleOne posted:

If any of you actually want to help
There's also loads of local neighborhood help networks starting to show up to bring supplies to vulnerable groups.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 17, 2020

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

There's also loads of local neighborhood help networks starting to show up to bring supplies to vulnerable groups.

Hi plz link!!!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

teen witch posted:

Hi plz link!!!
Look on facebook (i know) for your postal code! We are setting one up in my building because we have some old geezers we'd like to be able to keep sheltered. I'd rather not inflict my terrible cooking upon them but others are better, plus groceries etc.

MiddleOne posted:

We'll only know that in retrospect. Stop panicking.
Please use your head. If you only know in retrospect and are refusing to shelter, how are you managing the wildfire.

For those reading along: Median incubation from contact to symptoms is 5 days. 99% of cases show symptoms within 14 days. If you shelter for 14 days, what do you think happens differently than when everyone goes to work because their bosses are using FHM guidelines to keep them coming.
Do you think Italy/France/Norway/Denmark are shutting down because they're panicking?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

The part that makes me really loving angry is not when or how we close schools but that politicians act shocked and concerned when they hear we're not prepared for this. These fuckers have been cutting down on everything the last 30 years. Cutting funding and NPM and just in time for hospitals, completely gutted the military and civil defence. End of history liberalism seems to have given most politicians brain damage.