Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Speaking of Gentle, I wonder when the master thief he mentioned will be relevant. We’ve obviously had villains connected to All for One and Destro so far.

The thief is Deku's dad! :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rhonne posted:

Dabi is going to try and kill Twice for loving up again, only for Hawks to take the hit for him, thus causing Twice to question his loyalties.

Dabi will tell Hawks that he's Toya and what Endeavor did to him to try and make Hawks do a heel turn, only to cause Twice to relate to Hawks for having people they thought they could rely on be an uncaring rear end in a top hat and make him more likely to listen to Hawks' pleas.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

chiasaur11 posted:

Hawks just offered to help Twice only get a light sentence and help rebuilding his life.

You and all your friends and family, the only people in a hostile world who didn't poo poo on you unprovoked, are going to jail for the crime of wanting a society where you don't have to lie about who you are, also some murders I guess. Indeed, I am sending you specifically to jail even though I think you're a good person because your quirk, which you didn't choose, is too powerful to allow you to build a good life without the state punishing you even more than it did all the times before. But when I say that, after you go to jail for the crime of having a good quirk, after everyone who ever trusted you is punished for being your friend, then I'll definitely help you put your life together by getting you a job as a janitor or something. This is a genuine offer and not me wallpapering over my own guilt.

You know how this series has a lot of transgender characters in it? Like two is a weirdly huge number for shonen. I wonder if that has anything to do with the themes hmmmm.

If the happy ending at the end of the series is all the bad guys go to jail and all the good guys have cake, I'm gonna be mad disappointed. Fortunately it sure seems better than that so far! MHA is so goddamn good you guys.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

mushroom

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1239593072964415489

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

:hai:

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

You and all your friends and family, the only people in a hostile world who didn't poo poo on you unprovoked, are going to jail for the crime of conspiracy, kidnapping and 46 cases of attempted murder
Fixed that up for ya, chief.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Just a few murders, nbd

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

good mushroom

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Wonder how many villains she's going to accidentally choke to death in this arc.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"Accidentally."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mystic Mongol posted:

You and all your friends and family, the only people in a hostile world who didn't poo poo on you unprovoked, are going to jail for the crime of wanting a society where you don't have to lie about who you are, also some murders I guess. Indeed, I am sending you specifically to jail even though I think you're a good person because your quirk, which you didn't choose, is too powerful to allow you to build a good life without the state punishing you even more than it did all the times before. But when I say that, after you go to jail for the crime of having a good quirk, after everyone who ever trusted you is punished for being your friend, then I'll definitely help you put your life together by getting you a job as a janitor or something. This is a genuine offer and not me wallpapering over my own guilt.

You know how this series has a lot of transgender characters in it? Like two is a weirdly huge number for shonen. I wonder if that has anything to do with the themes hmmmm.

If the happy ending at the end of the series is all the bad guys go to jail and all the good guys have cake, I'm gonna be mad disappointed. Fortunately it sure seems better than that so far! MHA is so goddamn good you guys.

I feel like saying "You're going to jail for having a good Quirk" is a massive downplay of what the League had been doing. Remember Snatch? Bakugo being kidnapped? Collaboration with the Yakuza? Literally all of MVA?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I liked how Honenuki and Shemage got some screentime. Good for them!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I feel like saying "You're going to jail for having a good Quirk" is a massive downplay of what the League had been doing. Remember Snatch? Bakugo being kidnapped? Collaboration with the Yakuza? Literally all of MVA?

That post seems to be talking about Twice specifically, who is literally on the Most Wanted list due to the potential of his Quirk rather than anything in particular that he's done. This was explicitly stated at some point, can't remember where though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

In fact I'm pretty sure that Twice is the only member of the OG League where we don't know if he's killed anyone.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what about... spinner? whatever their lizard boy chauffeur is called

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Funky Valentine posted:

In fact I'm pretty sure that Twice is the only member of the OG League where we don't know if he's killed anyone.

It seems unlikely that he (or one of his clones, which is close enough) didn't at least contribute to some deaths during the Sad Man's Parade, but something people seem to be forgetting is that, outside of murdering the KKK and "training" with Gigantomachia, everything that happened in that arc was the result of the Meta Liberation Army contacting them, after having kidnapped and maimed their ally and threatening to kill them. Or, rather, ordering them to die; it was literally the MLA's plan to get footage of "ordinary" people fighting and dying taking down the League in order to help further their movement, which is why they're the ones who made the League go to Deika City. The League would have told them to gently caress off and not even bothered if it had been up to them.

Which is another problem with the post I quoted, really; it suggests that My Villain Academia is among their most heinous moments, but while it definitely has the highest body count they're actually acting entirely in self-defense for basically the full length of the arc.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
If the government told me I couldn't use my superpowers I'd probably join the 'let me use my superpowers' group but also I'd leave if I then learned they also had a 'let those who don't have super powers as cool as yours die' belief on top of that.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Which is another problem with the post I quoted, really; it suggests that My Villain Academia is among their most heinous moments, but while it definitely has the highest body count they're actually acting entirely in self-defense for basically the full length of the arc.

This sounds reasonable until you remember their options weren't "go to a town and get into a bloody super power fight or die." They were "get arrested for the whole kidnapping, attempted murder, and successful murder, or go to a town and get into a bloody super power fight."

Generally speaking, you don't get points for self defense if you're slaughtering folks because you're trying to avoid arrests for crimes you absolutely committed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Roland Jones posted:

Y'all realize the LoV can be the bad guys and you're still allowed to like them, right? It's not ProblematicTM to recognize that a character is evil but still think they're cool.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Roland Jones posted:

That post seems to be talking about Twice specifically, who is literally on the Most Wanted list due to the potential of his Quirk rather than anything in particular that he's done. This was explicitly stated at some point, can't remember where though.

Heck, right there Hawks is standing over the poor guy saying why he's going to jail. It's not because of the yakuza or bakugo. Twice has to go to jail because twice is too strong for the state to let him be free. There's no reason to believe that this time after he goes to jail, his attempt at an honest life won't go exactly like every other time he's tried.

That is not the good guy, hope this helps.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Y'all realize the LoV can be the bad guys and you're still allowed to like them, right? It's not ProblematicTM to recognize that a character is evil but still think they're cool.

If you say so man, I've totally lost track of what anyone's arguing about anymore.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this thread really needed its own kerning chameleon

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Heck, right there Hawks is standing over the poor guy saying why he's going to jail. It's not because of the yakuza or bakugo. Twice has to go to jail because twice is too strong for the state to let him be free. There's no reason to believe that this time after he goes to jail, his attempt at an honest life won't go exactly like every other time he's tried.

Huh? He's going to jail because all of the LoV is. Hawks is doing it personally because Twice is very dangerous. Hawks has an evil face because this is kinda from Twice's point of view and the author wants you to relate to him. It looks like it's working.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Mystic Mongol posted:

Alright, fair enough. But Twice had still been rubbing elbows with murderers and assisting with their plans. At the very least, I'd say there's more to him being incarcerated than being too strong to control. Even then, I'd assume that's a factor because you have a guy who basically rivals Kurogiri in how his power has the potential to obstruct bringing the rest of the League to justice.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Alright, fair enough. But Twice had still been rubbing elbows with murderers and assisting with their plans. At the very least, I'd say there's more to him being incarcerated than being too strong to control. Even then, I'd assume that's a factor because you have a guy who basically rivals Kurogiri in how his power has the potential to obstruct bringing the rest of the League to justice.

Oh, absolutely. Dabi is a god drat problem, and a lot of the villain alliance just love killing people. But so does Mirko. The only real difference between Mirko and the second worst member of Endeavor's family is that one of them is incredibly hot and the other one is a cop. Meanwhile we've got people like Spinner proselytizing about the inherent dignity of man, while even the cool heroes assess their self worth by how many criminals they can deprive of liberty, and how good they look doing it. I guess Eraserhead is actually pretty good? Tensei Iida knows how not to narc, but he had to retire. Hero society is a land of contrasts.

Fortunately we have a protagonist in the wings, ready to push a solution that isn't, "One hundred thousand people go to jail," or, "Murder replaces apartment hunting," both of which are pretty bad.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Dabi is gonna be a good guy before this is all over and you're all gonna look like a bunch of idiots for doubting him.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The happiest ending I see for Dabi is for Shoto to "save" him, but he still ends up going to jail(you know, for all the murder and such) with frequent visits from Shoto and the rest of the family.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope we get a lexicon on all the villains that pro heroes have fought in the past. If Mirko has dealt with a ton of psychos using self destructible drug mules then I can see why she's all hyped in on Punisher-level maximum violence and solving the problem once and for all.

On the other hand if she mostly deals with insurance fraud scammers then she's a total psycho but I just don't know how to feel yet.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adder Moray posted:

This sounds reasonable until you remember their options weren't "go to a town and get into a bloody super power fight or die." They were "get arrested for the whole kidnapping, attempted murder, and successful murder, or go to a town and get into a bloody super power fight."

Generally speaking, you don't get points for self defense if you're slaughtering folks because you're trying to avoid arrests for crimes you absolutely committed.

I'm pretty sure that Re-Destro was going to kill Giran if they didn't come. If one murderer tells another murderer, "Let me murder you or I'll report you to the police so you get arrested, also I'll murder your friend after that," well. Yes, the murderer being blackmailed should be stopped from doing future murders, but them deciding to just murder the other murderer isn't equivalent to them defending themselves against, say, the police. With murder.

PMush Perfect posted:

Yes. They are the bad guys. That particular arc is not the best one to point to as evidence of that, though, because it's about extremists who want to murder them as propaganda.

oh jay posted:

Huh? He's going to jail because all of the LoV is. Hawks is doing it personally because Twice is very dangerous. Hawks has an evil face because this is kinda from Twice's point of view and the author wants you to relate to him. It looks like it's working.

Turns out I was combining two events in my memory, but Twice has been on the most wanted list since before he was even in the League due to the nature of his quirk, despite him then having just been stealing and such at that point.

Chapter 229, Twice's flashback:

Also, because I think this is the moment I was thinking of when I thought Hawks was the one noting Twice being on the most wanted list due to his power alone and went looking for it, chapter 258:

Wasn't exactly what I was remembering, but still shows that the state's opinion on Twice hasn't changed. (This is also right before Hawks notes that Twice isn't a bad guy himself.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 16, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I hope we get a lexicon on all the villains that pro heroes have fought in the past. If Mirko has dealt with a ton of psychos using self destructible drug mules then I can see why she's all hyped in on Punisher-level maximum violence and solving the problem once and for all.

On the other hand if she mostly deals with insurance fraud scammers then she's a total psycho but I just don't know how to feel yet.

smh if you don't want to kick the heads off of insurance fraud scammers

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

I'm pretty sure that Re-Destro was going to kill Giran if they didn't come. If one murderer tells another murderer, "Let me murder you or I'll report you to the police so you get arrested, also I'll murder your friend after that," well. Yes, the murderer being blackmailed should be stopped from doing future murders, but them deciding to just murder the other murderer isn't equivalent to them defending themselves against, say, the police. With murder.

Yes. They are the bad guys. That particular arc is not the best one to point to as evidence of that, though, because it's about extremists who want to murder them as propaganda.

Turns out I was combining two events in my memory, but Twice has been on the most wanted list since before he was even in the League due to the nature of his quirk, despite him then having just been stealing and such at that point.

Chapter 229, Twice's flashback:

Also, because I think this is the moment I was thinking of when I thought Hawks was the one noting Twice being on the most wanted list due to his power alone and went looking for it, chapter 258:

Wasn't exactly what I was remembering, but still shows that the state's opinion on Twice hasn't changed. (This is also right before Hawks notes that Twice isn't a bad guy himself.)

That first image says the opposite of your point, they say his crime spree put him on the most wanted.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
If Twice makes a copy of someone, and that copy goes on to commit a crime, should Twice be held responsible for that crime? How does the answer change if it's a copy of himself or a copy of someone else?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ZiegeDame posted:

If Twice makes a copy of someone, and that copy goes on to commit a crime, should Twice be held responsible for that crime? How does the answer change if it's a copy of himself or a copy of someone else?

I guess that would come down to what his intentions for making that clone in the first place were. If he cloned someone for the express purpose of getting that clone to help him do crimes, then yeah he should, if he just made a clone to pal around with and then it did something he didn't want, then probably not.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Christ, the entire point of the entire LoV's backstories is that some point in the past, they fell through the cracks. That is sad and tragic, and the manga has banged on endlessly about how hero society is not perfect and reforms and changes are needed. That's not in dispute at all!

That absolutely does not excuse the LoV for being an organization of murderous terrorists! Twice is a sad boy with a sad backstory who loves and cares about his teammates because he found a place to belong, but he's still a criminal with an extended history of being materially vital to some hosed up poo poo even BEFORE he got over his trauma and his quirk became an existential threat. Remember when Twice's clones were a vital component of the LoV's plan in the training camp arc - you know, the arc where the LoV infiltrated a school camp for children with the explicit intent of murdering, maiming, or kidnapping as many of them as possible? Twice absolutely, positively, no question should go to prison for what he has done. That doesn't mean he's unsympathetic or you can't feel bad for him, but Hawks's offer of getting him a light sentence and trying to get him back on his feet is a perfectly reasonable one, not some kind of devil's offering.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, Twice made two Dabi clones that tried to kill Aizawa, the blood guy, and some students.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
If a petty thief is robbing convenience stores with a nuke it makes sense to put them on a most wanted list. Most wanted lists are about visibility more than anything, anyhow.

Twice is obviously the most absurdly dangerous quirk that isn't an amalgam of other quirks. No matter how powerful any other quirk user in the world is, Twice can make another one of them as well as an infinite number of himself on top of that.

Imagine a good guy twice. We've seen multiple, pre planned hero raids. Imagine two All Mights taking on AFO. The list of situations goes on but the reason Hawks is there isn't just personal guilt. It's that A: Twice needs to be taken in because he's a very, very seriously bad criminal who has done terrible crimes and abetted even worse ones and B: If Hawks doesn't disable Twice he could singlehandedly compromise the whole operation. The Heroes can't possibly win this fight if Twice is making High End or Destro clones. Hawks is extremely pragmatic and knows his neutralization of Twice is likely the most important lynchpin of this raid.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 17, 2020

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
I think Hawks' empathy for Twice and his situation is the only thing keeping him from just sucker-punching to knock him out as soon as the raid starts before he can become a problem.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Aren't Twice clones much physically weaker than the originals, and only able to take a little punishment before going poof?

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Flesnolk posted:

Aren't Twice clones much physically weaker than the originals, and only able to take a little punishment before going poof?

First clone needs a broken-bone level of damage to disintegrate ; second clone is more fragile but don't know how much. I'm assuming the Rappa clone in the Yakuza raid was the second (Compress being the first) but getting splattered by Nighteye isn't really a good gauge.

e: actually wasn't there a Toga clone too? So the Compress one was probably made after. But getting stomped by a dragon isn't indicative either.

A Bug fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Flesnolk posted:

Yeah but they've still got their full firepower.