Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mebh
May 10, 2010

In Sheffield there's a bar called Meltdown. A few friends who were cancelling various events there today talked to the manager. He said bars and restaurants have insurance in place already so that they get a payout if the government forces them to shut.
So by not enforcing it the government is saving the insurance companies from having to payout.

Guess which party has a looooooong history of donations and ties to insurance industry? Go on. One guess!

Daww did you miss his face?

Edit: 111 is the number you can ring to be rung back and told off for bothering them about your corona symptoms.

Catte tax: 3 legged tripod Catte exploring bbq in sunshine while supervised

Mebh fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
I was just chatting to someone about how stupid it is to tell people not to visit pubs and bars but not order them closed and then, lo and behold, revealed above the reason why is the usual grubby Tory poo poo housing

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

We've all been told to work from home from tomorrow and not to come into the office.

Gonna be fun trying to share my one PC with my partner who also needs to work from home.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Mebh posted:

In Sheffield there's a bar called Meltdown. A few friends who were cancelling various events there today talked to the manager. He said bars and restaurants have insurance in place already so that they get a payout if the government forces them to shut.
So by not enforcing it the government is saving the insurance companies from having to payout.

Guess which party has a looooooong history of donations and ties to insurance industry? Go on. One guess!

Daww did you miss his face?

Edit: 111 is the number you can ring to be rung back and told off for bothering them about your corona symptoms.

It'll probably also mean the Tory supporting big pub chain bosses can buy up all the independents and small chains that go down first, because they'll manage to survive with special crony handouts if they hold on long enough.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Got a text on the work group Whatsapp that they're having a meeting tomorrow based on the new advice from the government today, and will let us know what the result is tomorrow. We're a small company of 14 people - conceivably most of us can do at least some of our work from home, so I guess we'll see what happens. If this thing goes on for months as it's almost certainly likely to, work is gonna dry up though.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/16/travelex-owner-at-risk-as-81m-of-undisclosed-cheques-emerge posted:

Those problems have been compounded by news that the company discovered $100m worth of undisclosed cheques that predated its stock market flotation in 2018
Sounds entirely above board and those involved will rightly retain all the wealth they previously made...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

When they die you get all their stuff anyway.

this isn't funny

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

wow so suddenly it makes perfect sense why they aren't ordering anything to close. how loving evil.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Thanks to self isolation I'm going to be building some model kits and playing Fire Emblem: 3 Houses :toot:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Welp I just tried to log on to my work server from home and it's already crashing with hundreds/thousands of people trying to do the same.

Guess I won't be getting any work done this week.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

peanut- posted:

I'm poo poo at reading this stuff. Is this saying if we carry on as we are, then >500k people dead by the end of July? And substantively reducing that will require controls to be in place for two years?

yes, and they seem to be assuming a lower r0 and mortality rate than we're seeing in italy, who acted faster and have a stronger healthcare system

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

hemale in pain posted:

wow so suddenly it makes perfect sense why they aren't ordering anything to close. how loving evil.

I hope it doesn't work, it feels like there is a new and ugly feeling in the air at the moment. Everywhere feels more quiet and yet more tense. I think that they may well end up closing stuff anyway quite soon. At least I hope so.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Communist Thoughts posted:

yes, and they seem to be assuming a lower r0 and mortality rate than we're seeing in italy, who acted faster and have a stronger healthcare system

tbf we probably should have a lower CFR all else aside because Italy's population is old AF and they smoke like hell, but that just means when we manage to exceed their CFR it'll be all the more damning.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

hemale in pain posted:

It's going to annihilate theatres within a couple of months. Literally they will all be bankrupt. Pubs and bars just as fast, probably cinemas not long after that.

Telling people not to go without actually banning it is a death warrant to the entire arts and culture industry.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

It's going to annihilate theatres within a couple of months. Literally they will all be bankrupt. Pubs and bars just as fast, probably cinemas not long after that.

Telling people not to go without actually banning it is a death warrant to the entire arts and culture industry.

All sound like prime candidates for redevelopment to me!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

tbf we probably should have a lower CFR all else aside because Italy's population is old AF and they smoke like hell, but that just means when we manage to exceed their CFR it'll be all the more damning.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess based on nothing but stereotypes that the average italian is healthier than the average brit

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's gonna be wild to watch the tories try to figure out how to restart the economy without spending any money.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
Hopefully the pressure from the other affected nations is enough to pressure ours into closing those businesses and letting them claim on the insurance and also provide the security against peoples bills, mortgages, etc.

I’m not holding my breath though

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Cool cool

https://twitter.com/jonsnowC4/status/1239538894124855298

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

compared to the famously healthy brits

they're not that much older, 21% over 65 in italy, 18% for us. the demographics are skewed cause we have a crapload of under-14s by comparison.

going by https://www.indexmundi.com/italy/age_structure.html vs https://www.indexmundi.com/united_kingdom/age_structure.html

i assume they will just stop publishing the mortality numbers during out 10% mortality speedrun

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

sinky posted:

I wonder what the [65+] figures are like now that they've learned they'll be gulaged isolated at home.

Just got off the phone to my mum: "Oh, so you've been staying in because of this Corona business? I've just been going out and meeting people, same as usual. You think perhaps I shouldn't be doing that? It's funny, I just called your brother and he said the same thing to me!"

I love my mum but her and her Boomer friends are blatantly tempting death and don't even seem to realise it, it's really weird

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

Hopefully the pressure from the other affected nations is enough to pressure ours into closing those businesses and letting them claim on the insurance and also provide the security against peoples bills, mortgages, etc.

I’m not holding my breath though

they will have to do so, same as they will have to start community testing.
none of this poo poo is going to last its just going to take a week each time for the gov to stumble from disaster to disaster

we don't really have a central government anymore is what this is revealing. we basically replaced it with the EU then cut away all the remaining bits over the last 30 years.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I had a thought (yes, really): you know why the government won't ban mass gatherings - because of all the insurance claims. It's not so much to protect the insurance industry but the REINSURANCE business - which is the backup for insurance companies and they have to pay out to all their wealth if required - where I bet many of the government have their riches (and stand to lose a huge amount of money and face financial ruin).

An example is Lloyds Names.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Translation: whoops we did a bribery and the police proceedings would make the company unsaleable

deano
Sep 6, 2000

Pistol_Pete posted:

Just got off the phone to my mum: "Oh, so you've been staying in because of this Corona business? I've just been going out and meeting people, same as usual. You think perhaps I shouldn't be doing that? It's funny, I just called your brother and he said the same thing to me!"

I love my mum but her and her Boomer friends are blatantly tempting death and don't even seem to realise it, it's really weird

Yeah just got that into my dads head today, "i go home and stay home" Yes "oh, but my shopin" I'll be getting that for you. He's 68 and just about died from a blood clot issue, thank gently caress hes listening at last. Took a few days but eventaully managed to hammer it in there. If you and your bro both saying the same thing she'll hopefully get the message as well.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

The Question IRL posted:

This just reminds me of the scene from Tramnsformers: The Movie where Astrotrain* says they have to jettison weight to reach Cybertron.

Starscream suggests survival of the fittest. All the Deceptions who are health vote for it. All the walking wounded pittly vote nay. And then are chucked out the airlock.

In less grim news over here in Ireland the government have brought forward measures to ensure anyone out of work can apply for emergency social welfare money to cover staying at home. As someone who is self employed it is a life saver.

*= Which bothered me. Why did a spaceship need to jettison weight. Guess Astrotrain was an Astrojerk.

Because Astrotrain (and his proper name is SPACEBUS) still needs fuel to run, and the Autobots and Decepticons have been beating the poo poo out of each other for four million years because they don't have enough, so making himself lighter and more fuel efficient is a good idea. Of course, all the Decepticons then having a ruckus to decide the new leader once they've kicked the battered ones out of the airlock probably didn't help matters either

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
some fun graphs

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1239652881051136001

early days yet i imagine but love how UK is currently slightly below the normal growth rate for "cases" but above the growth rate for deaths. cool cool

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Communist Thoughts posted:

this isn't funny

Sorry. I meant like in general. Not due to this virus.

So you shouldn't feel bad about getting a handout from someone whose loaded when you're hosed. But yeah. Soz.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Pistol_Pete posted:

My 60 odd year old mum is usually a total hypochondriac clean freak with severe anxiety issues but she quite plainly doesn't understand how serious this is and I had to very firmly tell her going to the gym was an awful idea. I'm grateful to have parents who do at least seem to listen to me now occasionally and they're now I hope going to limit their time outside. While there's certainly a lot of of traditional stubbornness amongst that generation, it's being made exponentially worse by a completely irresponsible government policy implicitly downplaying the risks. If you don't use social media or forums like this etc and only rely on traditional newspaper/tv bulletins, you're absolutely hosed. I didn't think I could get more angry at these scumbags, but it turns out I was wrong. I've never seen such a brazen disregard for human life. Of course that has always been there, but they're not even bothering with the mask with this. There are going to be a lot of people missing loved ones - particularly grandparents and parents - next Christmas, and I will never forgive them for it. Tories do not need to be beaten in debate and won over, they need to be physically stopped before they kill every single one of us and see the world burn.

e: Sorry, I'm just extremely angry and anxious and so loving bored

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
99% sure I don't have the dreaded covid because I have no fever and hardly a cough but I do have the mother of all sore throats and finding paracetamol is really loving difficult right now

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

baka kaba posted:

He can rerecord all his press conferences later for posterity and change them so he's presenting policies and offering good advice

He won't need to, the BBC will do it for him.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

How are they meant to know, seriously?

I'm finding out from this thread and Twitter that credible academic studies show us with half a million dead boomers in 3 months if nothing changes.

Meanwhile if you watch the news and the Prime Minister you're getting "think about avoiding crowded areas for a while. Maybe don't go to the theatre. But we're not actually going to order you not to, just think about not doing it."

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Angepain posted:

some fun graphs

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1239652881051136001

early days yet i imagine but love how UK is currently slightly below the normal growth rate for "cases" but above the growth rate for deaths. cool cool

UK will finally be best at something

dying

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Sorry. I meant like in general. Not due to this virus.

So you shouldn't feel bad about getting a handout from someone whose loaded when you're hosed. But yeah. Soz.

i thought it was funny

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

99% sure I don't have the dreaded covid because I have no fever and hardly a cough but I do have the mother of all sore throats and finding paracetamol is really loving difficult right now

Doctors are reporting that paracetamol might cause nasty complications if you actually do have covid, so might wanna be careful with that

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Cardiff uni is all but closed as far as students are concerned and unsurprisingly they all went to the pub. We had a queue to the door most of the day, absolutely rammed

They're all going home at the weekend and most are expecting a 6 week Easter break to be announced

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

peanut- posted:

How are they meant to know, seriously?

I'm finding out from this thread and Twitter that credible academic studies show us with half a million dead boomers in 3 months if nothing changes.

Meanwhile if you watch the news and the Prime Minister you're getting "think about avoiding crowded areas for a while. Maybe don't go to the theatre. But we're not actually going to order you not to, just think about not doing it."

Tiz true. My mother worships at the throne of the totally impartial and 100% trustworthy BBC news. I spoke to her this evening and she said 'they haven't said we will have to stay home'.
And they don't seem to be explaining exactly how this virus is not just Bad Cold Plus. I think I'll have another go at her tomorrow and explain some of the info I've gathered ITT about the fibrous growths, heart and so on.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I work in a small independent restaurant, the government telling your customers not to go out whilst not telling you to close is so hosed up.

I’m lucky in that I have a secure contract with a certain amount of paid hours (owners are pretty lefty), but so much of the industry is made up of casual and part-time workers picking up extra shifts. The whole industry could be completely hosed by this.

Although boris telling people not to go out seems to be good advertising. We had a really busy night for a Monday .

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

TheRat posted:

Doctors are reporting that paracetamol might cause nasty complications if you actually do have covid, so might wanna be careful with that

I thought it was ibuprofen you were supposed to avoid

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

I thought it was ibuprofen you were supposed to avoid

Pretty much any anti-inflammatory seems to be a suspect from what I saw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

No they aren't.

People, if you're going to spout facts that you half-remember, or aren't certain of...could you check first?

The actual advice was that anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen are possibly bad, not paracetamol, but that if Ibuprofen is all you have and your fever is raging, it's probably better to take one than suffer.