Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do we finish this season
Award the title now
No title at all
Playoff tournament
Finish the season at a later date
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed
View Results

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Bundy posted:

Yes well done on your fifth European Cup last season

6th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

trap.
sprung.

*runs around thread with shirt pulled over head*

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bundy posted:

trap.
sprung.

*runs around thread with shirt pulled over head*

?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I knew that much like all past dwelling scousers, you would not be able to resist reminding me that it's 6.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bundy posted:

I knew that much like all past dwelling scousers, you would not be able to resist reminding me that it's 6.

Ok.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
I still haven't heard anyone advocating for continuing the season during the summer/fall explain how to handle player contracts or whether a transfer window still possible given that countries have already or will likely begin restricting travel.

Also the entirety of UEFA and FIFA would have to agree to the exact same schedule to make sure that transfer windows are consistent and no FA is placing an extreme burden on their clubs (or gaming it so their clubs can be more competitive in international competitions by getting significantly more rest.)

Really the only solution is just to void the season and start over like it's August 2019.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Blinkz0rz posted:

I still haven't heard anyone advocating for continuing the season during the summer/fall explain how to handle player contracts or whether a transfer window still possible given that countries have already or will likely begin restricting travel.

From a player contract standpoint, it sounds like monthly rolling extensions might be feasible.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I actually agreed with Football Weekly, that if necessary just void the next unstarted season or shorten it, after resuming this one and finishing it whenever it's safe.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Blinkz0rz posted:

Also the entirety of UEFA and FIFA would have to agree to the exact same schedule to make sure that transfer windows are consistent and no FA is placing an extreme burden on their clubs (or gaming it so their clubs can be more competitive in international competitions by getting significantly more rest.)

Really the only solution is just to void the season and start over like it's August 2019.

I mean transfers can still potentially happen, you would just need to find a way for players to perform medicals not with club doctors. If the season isn't starting anyway then the players don't need to immediately move (though this increases pressure on them).

And what happens if play isn't able to resume in August?

I still think Ninpos idea of calling the league as is now and having 22 teams in next year is the best idea. Cancel all ongoing cups, current top 4 get CL and 5th gets Europa (Citys ban obviously changes this if necessary).

Then your relegate 5 teams next year.

Either that or you do what the FA has proposed as an idea which is extend the current season into the next season.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Sounds really complicated when the goal is to get back on a normal schedule.

Why not just void the season up and down English football and keep all the teams where they are? Sucks that teams that might have been promoted won't be but whatever the FA chooses has to line up with how UEFA and FIFA will handle international competition as well as contract law.

Also, as has been said before, calling the league right now unfairly gifts Liverpool a title they haven't actually, mathematically won.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Blinkz0rz posted:

Sounds really complicated when the goal is to get back on a normal schedule.

Why not just void the season up and down English football and keep all the teams where they are? Sucks that teams that might have been promoted won't be but whatever the FA chooses has to line up with how UEFA and FIFA will handle international competition as well as contract law.

Also, as has been said before, calling the league right now unfairly gifts Liverpool a title they haven't actually, mathematically won.

According to who that the goal is to get back onto normal schedule. The FA has stated that their current goal is to complete this season even if it stretches into next season.

Ah yeah, sucks for those teams that are gonna get promoted right down the leagues. Oh and coincidentally that Spurs magically appear back in a CL spot.

I don't care about the title anymore, voiding the season financially fucks over more clubs than Liverpool.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

sticksy posted:

From a player contract standpoint, it sounds like monthly rolling extensions might be feasible.

Lots of people would want to extend their contract on plague island.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

CyberPingu posted:

According to who that the goal is to get back onto normal schedule.

If that's not the goal then what's the loving point of any of this?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Cancel next season and let this run into it. All contracts are automatically extended

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The Italians are talking about extending this season over two seasons, I think that's becoming increasingly likely. Especially since whatever decision we end up with has to also work with European competitions, it kinda has to be that all the leagues come up with roughly similar solutions. You can't have the Italians still playing this season next year when the Premier League is on a new season, and still have both of them in European competitions. So what's most likely at this point I think is that the 2020-21 season gets fully cancelled, the 2019-20 season becomes a 2019-21 season, and then we try and get back to normal for a 2021-22 season just in time for scheduling to be hosed up by a November/December World Cup.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

hadji murad posted:

Lots of people would want to extend their contract on plague island.

uhm i think you'll find its PLAGUE PLANET now

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Blinkz0rz posted:

If that's not the goal then what's the loving point of any of this?

What's the point in starting a new season when you havnt even finished the current one?

The league doesn't have to start in August. There is no mandate for that, the current season can be extended to whenever the FA decide.

If the outbreak is still bad in August which is a possibility. Then good job, not only have you binned the previous season, you now have to delay your new one.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Jose posted:

Cancel next season and let this run into it. All contracts are automatically extended

That's another option but imo way harder to implement because contract law isn't under the FA's purview. They could request for players to work on extended contracts but any player who wants to leave could just up and go sign in another country with an open window.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

uhm i think you'll find its PLAGUE PLANET now

Most countries are trying to prevent transmission though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Blinkz0rz posted:

That's another option but imo way harder to implement because contract law isn't under the FA's purview. They could request for players to work on extended contracts but any player who wants to leave could just up and go sign in another country with an open window.

Contracts will expire, so what? Players join and leave teams during midseason transfer windows all the time, and not every contract expires this year so most teams will have most of their players continue on.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The only argument for voiding the season is "I don't want to think about this too much," it doesn't really make sense from any perspective.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

I was thinking more along the lines of having to ensure that transfer windows line up internationally but if the league is comfortable with an extra window in the season then I suppose it works but it feels overly complicated when "redo the season" is way easier.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Blinkz0rz posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of having to ensure that transfer windows line up internationally but if the league is comfortable with an extra window in the season then I suppose it works but it feels overly complicated when "redo the season" is way easier.

Pretending an entire season didn't happen is very far from easy

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

your friend wicka posted:

Pretending an entire season didn't happen is very far from easy

Yeah, as much as I'd jizz so hard I might be the first case of actual death by jizzing if the title got taken from Liverpool, I agree with the take on Football Weekly, that a season part completed is more important than a season of all zeroes that hasn't even started yet. If anything is to be messed with/cancelled/moved it should be the competition that has not yet begun.

I find it hard to make a case against that.

In other shock news, UEFA are a bunch of cunts:

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1239678849891344389?s=19

Which will of course add more pressure to somehow finish contractual obligations as far as sponsors go.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao what the gently caress UEFA

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Bundy posted:

Yeah, as much as I'd jizz so hard I might be the first case of actual death by jizzing if the title got taken from Liverpool, I agree with the take on Football Weekly, that a season part completed is more important than a season of all zeroes that hasn't even started yet. If anything is to be messed with/cancelled/moved it should be the competition that has not yet begun.

Which will of course add more pressure to somehow finish contractual obligations as far as sponsors go.

What if the clubs just collectively went "No"? What happens then?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I said it on the discord but the balls on UEFA are gargantuan.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Bundy posted:

i think if sheikh mansour has a rummage around his sofa he could find £275mil in loose bullion, i wonder if there's anything he'd like to negotiate with uefa :thunk:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i think if sheikh mansour has a rummage around his sofa he could find £275mil in loose bullion, i wonder if there's anything he'd like to negotiate with uefa :thunk:

Lol holy poo poo

It’s this, this is literally what they are asking.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Gigi Galli posted:

Lol holy poo poo

It’s this, this is literally what they are asking.

Since it's not my money I would be all for this

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

For 1 & a bit Neymar's you can appease UEFA.

Surely this is how breakaway Super Leagues start. When clubs get pissed at things like this.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Eau de MacGowan posted:

:wow:

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

CyberPingu posted:

I mean transfers can still potentially happen, you would just need to find a way for players to perform medicals not with club doctors. If the season isn't starting anyway then the players don't need to immediately move (though this increases pressure on them).

And what happens if play isn't able to resume in August?

I still think Ninpos idea of calling the league as is now and having 22 teams in next year is the best idea. Cancel all ongoing cups, current top 4 get CL and 5th gets Europa (Citys ban obviously changes this if necessary).

Then your relegate 5 teams next year.

Either that or you do what the FA has proposed as an idea which is extend the current season into the next season.

weird that, that's a very nice solution for liverpool but fucks over anyone having a good cup run or teams just outside of automatic promotion/euro spots

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

kcer posted:

weird that, that's a very nice solution for liverpool but fucks over anyone having a good cup run or teams just outside of automatic promotion/euro spots

CyberPingu posted:

I don't care about the title anymore, voiding the season financially fucks over more clubs than Liverpool.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
i don't believe for a second that you give two fucks about the finances of other clubs, sorry

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

kcer posted:

i don't believe for a second that you give two fucks about the finances of other clubs, sorry

Ok

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
As a thought experiment I wondered if United were currently in the relegation spots what course of action I would think best - would I still think the year should be voided? And I came to the conclusion that yes, it should.

But now I think the argument is becoming moot because voiding this season with the intention of starting again is predicated upon the world being healthy enough for poo poo to resume as normal in August which seems like a huge ask. Far better I think to be responsible and just cancel next years calendar and take the appropriate amount of time to finish up all of this season's fixtures and competitions whenever safe.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Void the season and make up an award like that fair play medal from the olympics and give it to Liverpool.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The Euros postponed: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/17/euro-2020-postponed-coronavirus-uefa-champions-league-europa-league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

rear end cobra posted:

Void the season and make up an award like that fair play medal from the olympics and give it to Liverpool.

Actually end the league and award positions based on number of points accrued for yellows and reds

Arsenal win the title, Spurs, Watford and Newcastle in the CL. Wolves, Leicester and Liverpool all relegated

Seems fair to me tbh