Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I use a silicone spray lubricant for my bike locks and it seems to work really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I have a keyless ignition :D

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

I have a keyless ignition :D

mine has that and push to start.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Every bike has push to start FYI

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's a KTM, that button doesn't work.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

It's a KTM, that button doesn't work.

Right, like he said, push to start

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That was the joke I was trying to make :thejoke:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Bravo.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

But only some bikes have push to finish.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

But only some bikes have push to finish.

Hahahaha, nice one, Punchy

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Coydog posted:

Hahahaha, nice one, Punchy
A good post for a good thread

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Suppose I have heated grips wired to the battery, as well as a GPS adapter and a adapter for my heated gloves. I.e. 3 things with eyelets, wired to the battery.

Suppose I add another eyeletted thing, i.e. a eyelet cable for a lithium jump starter such as https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071F36LXZ/ref=emc_b_5_i

If I jump start my bike via the lithium jump starter wired to the battery with the eyelet cable, with the heated grips, gps adapter, heated gloves adapter also wired into the battery, will that cause my any damage to the GPS adapter/heated grips/heated gloves adapter?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Only if they're switched on. If their circuits are open it'll be fine. So in your case, switch off the heated grips and make sure your GPS and heated gloves aren't plugged in if you're going to do a jump start.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Only if they're switched on. If their circuits are open it'll be fine. So in your case, switch off the heated grips and make sure your GPS and heated gloves aren't plugged in if you're going to do a jump start.

Perfect, thank you.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are electrical connectors which OEMs use typically unobtanium, or is there some standard I can look up? I want to add a brake light modulator on my '18 Ninja 650 but I'd rather not hack up the wiring harness going to the tail light. If I can get a male and female connector of the appropriate kinds I can just add the modulator inline and pass through the third daytime running lead.

Partzilla doesn't seem to show it as a separate unit, and even if it did I suspect it would just show the whole assembly and not the connectors.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

theyre all industry-standard stuff, its just a matter of knowing what they're called

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What do you guys think?

Looks pretty close to Sumitomo MT 090 3C (based on the equivalent Sumitomo part number from cycleterminal.com)

http://www.cycleterminal.com/mt-series-090.html

Probably worth a gamble at five bucks.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
send it

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

There is a company called Eastern Beaver run by an American in Japan who specializes in that stuff.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Tried replacing my final drive today.

Got the sprockets on and the old chain off fine. I split the new chain fine and got the faceplate of the link on fine. It's just the riveting that's gone messed up. Despite following the instructions I bent the tool out of shape after flaring the pins no more than 0.1mm

It's definitely the correct tool for the correct kind of chain, I bought both from the same brand and size (DID). Any advice?

I don't fancy a split link/ clip link because I don't trust those, especially having gone down a tooth on the front sprocket. I just wondered if people had suggestions or maybe could point me to a 530 did style riveter that doesn't suck and won't break the bank.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's just the riveting that's gone messed up. Despite following the instructions I bent the tool out of shape after flaring the pins no more than 0.1mm

This is why I haven't messed with chain replacement yet, and won't until I can actually do it with someone that I trust knows what they're doing.

It's just something that if I mess up, I can see myself being cut in half lengthwise as the chain flies off the front sprocket, and my two halves go flying in separate directions in slow motion, both halves giving the same thumbs up the terminator did at the end of T2.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Welcome to the club.

Chain riveters that are both cheap and good don't exist. Either throw up your hands and pay someone to do it like I did, or commit to spending ~£100 on an actually good heavy duty riveter and at least two more master links.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

Welcome to the club.

Chain riveters that are both cheap and good don't exist. Either throw up your hands and pay someone to do it like I did, or commit to spending ~£100 on an actually good heavy duty riveter and at least two more master links.

the DID riveter IS a heavy duty riveter

Azza Bamboo posted:

Got the sprockets on and the old chain off fine. I split the new chain fine and got the faceplate of the link on fine. It's just the riveting that's gone messed up. Despite following the instructions I bent the tool out of shape after flaring the pins no more than 0.1mm

It's definitely the correct tool for the correct kind of chain, I bought both from the same brand and size (DID). Any advice?

I don't fancy a split link/ clip link because I don't trust those, especially having gone down a tooth on the front sprocket. I just wondered if people had suggestions or maybe could point me to a 530 did style riveter that doesn't suck and won't break the bank.

I used it on an EK 525 zx ring chain and it worked perfectly, but hopefully you bought the tool from amazon so you can return it lol, but if not, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isWYsAnZ4jQ

is the video I used to figure out how to rivet my chain. if you didn't buy from amazon originally, then just use their Tool Rental Service™ and don't gently caress it up this time. I followed the steps exactly in that video and no issues. didn't grind the rivets and also removed a couple links as well with no problems

right arm fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 20, 2020

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The tool I broke looks just like that one. I used it like he did.

You know the big U shaped backpiece that rides in the grooves of the other piece?

The U shaped piece bent such that its walls came closer together. The rails bent out. Now they only barely hold on to each other by about a millimetre, and pop out under load.

I tried beating the tool back into shape and forced a wedge through the U shaped piece to get it to come back apart. I even heated it in a fire. It just really likes its bent shape, though.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 19, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You've done something wrong there, that tool should be much stronger than the rivet pins. You only need to flare them out a little bit, got a picture of the results?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

yeah check your rivet flaring against the manual here:

https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61gRqyGylaS.pdf

I just eyeballed mine tho since it flared my rivets easily

e: also looks like they upgraded the pin not too long ago. mine I used like a month ago had the ring

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I checked them with a caliper gauge. One has increased by 0.15mm and the other by less than 0.1mm.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I don't have pictures of the bike. My phone doesn't reach where a cable can't reach now that its battery is dead, and you can take that as an indication of how much money I have to fix these kinds of problems.

Luckily the return address on the tool itself is from an industrial unit in this town. They've said I can pay for my own postage if I don't jump through some hoops to use their obscure courier, so I'm delivering this in person.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whaaaaaaaat is this Honda? I spotted it unceremoniously parked in someone’s lawn and had to take a pic. It appears to be a longitudinal V4? Like a CX500 except more modern and a 4-cylinder?

I cannot for the life of me think of what this is

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Whaaaaaaaat is this Honda? I spotted it unceremoniously parked in someone’s lawn and had to take a pic. It appears to be a longitudinal V4? Like a CX500 except more modern and a 4-cylinder?

I cannot for the life of me think of what this is

Looks like a 90s ST1100 minus some bodywork.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is definitely an st1100/pan euro. Rest assured you're missing out on nothing, in typical Honda fashion any potentially interesting features have been surgically excised and you're left with a heavy, slow, pig-handling bike that's an absolute oval office to work on and has a cambelt setup for some hosed up reason.

They also have really small bars, similar to the k1000, ostensibly because they're a 'sport' tourer which is both hysterically ridiculous and makes an already clumsy bike incredibly difficult to manage at low speeds.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

In checking HenryJ's work I happens across this thing.

Oh my.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just picturing that fork smashing into the stops at the mere hint of the terrible linked brakes being used, the bike wobbling around gormlessly when you ask it to do anything beyond slow uptight acceleration.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Why is the bottom end on longitudinal twins so drat huge? Is it because the crank runs into the tranny into the final drive and it's just all housed together?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Why is the bottom end on longitudinal twins so drat huge? Is it because the crank runs into the tranny into the final drive and it's just all housed together?

Pretty much. The clutch is at the front I think, just behind the headers. So it goes to the front, then to the back. And after the gearbox it needs an offset for the prop shaft, probably with some reduction thrown in for good measure. Lot of stuff going on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, transverse engines just make infinitely more sense for a motorcycle.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh in my head I just always assumed ST1100’s were I4’s because that would just make sense :ms:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh in my head I just always assumed ST1100’s were I4’s because that would just make sense :ms:

Did you not see the name on the tank?

I knew they were V4s but I always assumed they were inline, like the VFR.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I had always heard the polar opposite about the at/pan. Even from people who had them in other countries. I've heard nothing except them being angelic bikes that the owners have more than one of. They show me pictures of their special edition or whatever.

This is the first time I hear anything bad about them but maybe it's a cult bike that you love or hate.

If that custom St had upright bars and maybe a little less nonsense going on, id happily ride it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Did you not see the name on the tank?

I knew they were V4s but I always assumed they were inline, like the VFR.

No, the pictures I got were the best angles I could get. There were trees on one side and a shed on the other