Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

I can't believe I've missed Covids 1 through 18.

I'm not having this disease when I missed all the prequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Lord Of Texas posted:

Just wanted to plug Trains if anyone is looking for a deckbuilder-with-a-map that's not Clank or Quest for El Dorado. It's not a surprise that you don't hear much about this game since the name is so bland and unsearchable, but the game is really interesting (and cheap!)

Some parts are familiar - we have Dominion-style Gold/Silver/Copper and victory cards (instead of provinces, you buy Apartments/Towers/etc.)

The map is a tight area-control affair, as you get points by getting your rail into cities and then building train stations on those cities (route-building scores zero points, not what you might think from the game's name, unless you get the Rising Sun expansion which adds route bonuses)

The mechanic that really spices it up is Waste. Whenever you lay rail or build a train station, you add a Waste to your discard pile - a card that literally does nothing. If you do so on a space your opponent occupies, you add another Waste. Since you'll place dozens of rails/stations throughout the game, this bloats your deck greatly. Unless - you invest in Landfills, which do nothing besides allow you to trash all Wastes currently in your hand. But now you have Landfills clogging your deck, which have no self-removal mechanism.

You NEED to buy Rising Sun for Trains to work properly. Otherwise investing in VP cards and VP generating cards that don't interact with the board often beats strategies that do interact with the board. The key thing is that VP cards only generate waste once, but lay rails and station expansion keep generating waste every time you use them. Without the extra VP from Rising Sun, even a single player that has the board all to their own has a hard time.

Also, Clank is still a market row deckbuilder with multiple different currencies, and is just as random as you expect from such a game. Quest for El Dorado isn't a market row deckbuilder, and it has a good way to handle multiple different currencies. You don't have to discard unused cards in El Dorado, so you can save alt currency cards for the turn you actually need them.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

pointsofdata posted:

they are both worker placement games (some people seem to split hairs on this on bgg but imo castles plays a lot like one) where you build up a personal board to win VPs?

I've been trying to buy Dominion but it seems to be almost completely sold out in Europe, only overpriced italian and German versions of the base game are available. I had to order from the US in the end.

Frankly dominion.game is a much better investment of your money. Only one person has to have the expansions for all to play.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

I can't believe I've missed Covids 1 through 18.

Well I was there for 2001-18, so I guess I didn't miss it??? (19 refers to the year of course).

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

golden bubble posted:

You NEED to buy Rising Sun for Trains to work properly. Otherwise investing in VP cards and VP generating cards that don't interact with the board often beats strategies that do interact with the board. The key thing is that VP cards only generate waste once, but lay rails and station expansion keep generating waste every time you use them. Without the extra VP from Rising Sun, even a single player that has the board all to their own has a hard time.

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like a similar problem with base game Dominion.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Base dominion is perfectly fine.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Quite good, even.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

FWIW SARS would've been -02

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I have a big 500 card deck box I keep a rotating set of Dominion stuff in but haven’t changed it out since putting in Nocturne (with some kingdom cards from Dark Ages, Adventures, and Empires as well). The game has changed in some interesting ways and the night cards are great to us, since they mostly give you little objectives to aim for during your normal turn.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mayveena posted:

Frankly dominion.game is a much better investment of your money. Only one person has to have the expansions for all to play.

It's a good idea, thanks, but I mainly play board games in order to have activities which don't involve screen time (my partner gets bad migraines if she spends too long on one).

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Imagine playing Dominion in the future with just a small set of flexible OLED screen "cards" that display whatever you want. You just set out stacks of them and they automatically become whatever cards you want to play with. Moving cards to your deck area automatically "shuffles" them without you having to physically rearrange anything. That would be pretty sweet.

Of course, VR is probably easier and more likely.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
We have a 4p FCM Ketchup game starting up with lobbyists, night shift managers, and kimchi for anyone that wants to watch and heckle. Also, this is our hell map

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917352

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

golden bubble posted:

Yeah we got Trains right when it launched, and all of us tried to force "going beyond the bare minimum with actual trains/stations" at least once - but none of us were ever close to making it work. It's one of the least balanced games I've ever played out of the box (up there with V1 Quarriors or V1 Pandante... well, actually no, Pandante was much worse).

We didn't keep it long enough to try the expansion - but now I kind of want to. There was a bunch of good ideas there.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 16, 2020

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

https://www.yucata.de/ is also good for more asynchronous online play.

More people on https://terra.snellman.net/ wouldn’t hurt either :v:

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 16, 2020

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Elysium posted:

Base dominion is perfectly fine.

There are IMO a good amount of market layouts where going big money or big money + one card is the best strategy.

Whether that is a problem or not is up to you, but it's similar to what the person I was replying to was talking about with Trains

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
I played Panic on Wall Street over the weekend (this was with a group at a friend's house; they lean towards more social games rather than anything heavy). It's a pretty simple negotiation game where half the table are stockholders, and the other half are investors looking to buy into those stocks and make a profit. All the wheeling and dealing happens in real time and at the end of the round, we roll some dice to see how the stock values change and find out who made or lost money. Like I said, very simple, not my kind of game but whatever, it's quick and not too painful.

The trouble I had was, the guy who taught it was using a completely different set of rules than the rulebook. This led to a completely different profit and incentive model for all the players, and while it wasn't necessarily a worse game, it was weird. I'd read over the rules while the game was being set up, and then to start playing and be told we're doing it a different way was surprising and uncomfortable. The guy told me that this was a reprint and he'd learned it based on the original rules (it's true that Panic on Wall Street is a new edition of Masters of Commerce, but at least based on the files on BGG, the rules for both editions are almost entirely the same).

I'm all for a little house-ruling to fit the group, but this was a bit much!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I’ve played masters of commerce, what were the rules differences?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Today at a bookstore cafe a family of adults came in and ordered some drinks. The four of them sat down, opened their bag and took out the board game they just bought and began to play. The board game? Pandemic.

A little on the nose, imo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Today at a bookstore cafe a family of adults came in and ordered some drinks. The four of them sat down, opened their bag and took out the board game they just bought and began to play. The board game? Pandemic.

It's been a pretty popular choice of late, apparently.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Thirteen Orphans posted:

We played last night.

Red was Covid-19.

We won btw.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Lord Of Texas posted:

There are IMO a good amount of market layouts where going big money or big money + one card is the best strategy.

Whether that is a problem or not is up to you, but it's similar to what the person I was replying to was talking about with Trains

Pure Big Money loses to almost every (decent) Big Money plus 1 or 2 action strat, and most Big Money plus 1 or 2 action strats loses to (good) Money + 2-4 action strats (or Very Good many action strats) and identifying them is kinda, uh, The Game. It’s also kind of dynamically variable where your BM+1 strat might be perfectly viable if your opponent hadn’t bought 2 of X, so you are forced to adjust, and they adjust to what you’re buying. So in the end you might go “I could have just won with BM” but realistically that wasn’t actually an option.

I mean yes expansions greatly add to the variety and strategies but that doesn’t mean Base Dominion is Solved Big Money.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 16, 2020

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

Jedit posted:

It's been a pretty popular choice of late, apparently.

A friend of mine works in a boardgame shop. The day our local government announced the quarantine measures, they sold all of their pandemic copies (every version) within hours

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I’ve played masters of commerce, what were the rules differences?

You mean between the rulebook and what we did? (I'll use MoC terms rather than PoWS)

- There was no "rent". After the negotiation phase, the investors purchase the properties from the landlords for the agreed-upon price, taking the tile and keeping it in front of themselves.

- The market value, which gets changed by rolling the dice, is not a regular income that the investors get every round by holding the property. Instead, they only get that amount by selling them to the bank, removing that tile from the game. If they choose not to sell a property, hoping that it goes up in value, they can hold it but have to pay a $10k tax.

- Three properties per landlord were auctioned off in the auction phase, meaning we went through the stack faster and the game had fewer rounds. Also, if you won a property, you couldn't bid on the next one.

Basically, rather than the landlords building up a "portfolio" of properties that are collecting rent, they are just buying them at auction and hoping the investors want to pay a higher price next round.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Elysium posted:

Pure Big Money loses to almost every (decent) Big Money plus 1 or 2 action strat, and most Big Money plus 1 or 2 action strats loses to (good) Money + 2-4 action strats (or Very Good many action strats) and identifying them is kinda, uh, The Game. It’s also kind of dynamically variable where your BM+1 strat might be perfectly viable if your opponent hadn’t bought 2 of X, so you are forced to adjust, and they adjust to what you’re buying. So in the end you might go “I could have just won with BM” but realistically that wasn’t actually an option.

I mean yes expansions greatly add to the variety and strategies but that doesn’t mean Base Dominion is Solved Big Money.

IMO BM+1 or BM+2,3,4 is exactly as non-interesting and non-interactive as BM. A game with 4 decision points and the rest as a script is not worth all of that shuffling.

I love Dominion I just try to craft markets in a way that end up with interesting choices throughout the game.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Even with all the expansions Dominion is a pretty non-interactive game.

But the decision points aren’t just in which 4 actions you buy, it’s every time you collide 2 terminals, whether or not to buy a province with your early $8, whether or not to draw if it triggers your shuffle, etc.

All the expansions make the game better, but I don’t think they fix a “problem” base dominion has.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
It's primarily a race. If games aren't short and sharp, people are doing too much masturbatory engine building and an opportunity is being lost in pushing the tempo. And intrigue adds lots of other opportunities to mess with other players

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Knowing the tempo is important, and that's going to be influenced by what your opponent is doing.

If your opponent is putting together a deck that'll get to four provinces and then stall out on a duchy a turn, you can go a little slower and build something to go hard and overtake them. If your opponent is putting together a deck that'll get six provinces before even starting to choke, you'll have to start going for value sooner to take the lead.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Now that we're talking Dominion, I have a question. The game setup is such that you limit the number of Victory cards available depending on how many players you have (2 players, 8 of each Victory card type, 3 players, 10, 4 players, 12). A big part of the game is ending it when you are ahead, and the game ends when all Provinces are gone, or any 3 piles.

I've primarily played with just my wife and its extremely rare for three piles to run out - almost every game ends when all Provinces are gone instead. Is it more common for three piles to empty when playing with 3 or 4 players? And what stands out to me is that while Victory cards are limited to 8 (with 2 players), you still use exactly all 10 Action cards per pile no matter the player count. Is there a reason why is this not variable in the same way that Victory cards are?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

u brexit ukip it posted:

Now that we're talking Dominion, I have a question. The game setup is such that you limit the number of Victory cards available depending on how many players you have (2 players, 8 of each Victory card type, 3 players, 10, 4 players, 12). A big part of the game is ending it when you are ahead, and the game ends when all Provinces are gone, or any 3 piles.

I've primarily played with just my wife and its extremely rare for three piles to run out - almost every game ends when all Provinces are gone instead. Is it more common for three piles to empty when playing with 3 or 4 players? And what stands out to me is that while Victory cards are limited to 8 (with 2 players), you still use exactly all 10 Action cards per pile no matter the player count. Is there a reason why is this not variable in the same way that Victory cards are?

Thinking back I think in our 4 player games most ended by Provinces getting depleted but a few by depleting 3 stacks. You'll commonly empty 1 or 2 stacks depending what's out and someone might just push through another stack to end the game if they think they're ahead. I'd say it's about 75% in favour of provinces gone as I remember.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Thanks for input re:Root

I just wish I had more friends near where I live so I can hold regular game days. :sigh:
The hour+ drive between my groups sort of kills hosting regular board game days.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

u brexit ukip it posted:

This is wrong. It's a pile of 8 for 2p games, every higher count gets a pile of 12. A significant majority of games end with the Provinces according to the online stats (39%, versus 28% for three piles and 36% for resignations. I don't know where the bonus percents come from). I would expect that majority would increase playing casual face to face games where you're not keeping exact track of who's winning, and just keep buying Provs until the game ends. That's certainly what I do when playing in person. Three piles aren't crazy rare though. There's a nice saying which is "Dominion isn't about having the most points when the game ends, it's about ending the game when you have the most points." It's something you can look for when you know exactly where the points are.
As to why the regular kingdom cards don't increase with player count, Dominion at 3+p is always going to have a different nature than 1v1. I don't think a slightly thicker stack would smooth things out, especially not compared to the cost of adding 2 cards to everything.

e:

Infinitum posted:

Thanks for input re:Root

I just wish I had more friends near where I live so I can hold regular game days. :sigh:
The hour+ drive between my groups sort of kills hosting regular board game days.

You know what else kills board game days?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is it not having enough board games?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It is the worldwide pandemic which will kill us all! Or like ~3% of us.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
3 pile games mostly depend on the Kingdom. In the base set there isn’t a lot of ways to gain cards or reduce cost, so it’s hard to clear out piles quickly. If everyone is going Throne Room Workshop Gardens then you are much more likely to 3 pile. With the expansions, you have cards like Bridge which reduce all costs by 1 and give you a buy, so buying 5 cards for 0 in one turn is a regular occurrence. Or there are cards that you gain 2 of when you buy one, or something like Magpie, that can gain another copy of itself almost every time you play one. So with certain sets 3 pile is just significantly more likely.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Elysium posted:

3 pile games mostly depend on the Kingdom. In the base set there isn’t a lot of ways to gain cards or reduce cost, so it’s hard to clear out piles quickly. If everyone is going Throne Room Workshop Gardens then you are much more likely to 3 pile. With the expansions, you have cards like Bridge which reduce all costs by 1 and give you a buy, so buying 5 cards for 0 in one turn is a regular occurrence. Or there are cards that you gain 2 of when you buy one, or something like Magpie, that can gain another copy of itself almost every time you play one. So with certain sets 3 pile is just significantly more likely.

If we're naming 3 pile enablers, you gotta shout out Stonemason. When played it trashes something and gives you 2 things that cost less than it (awful for thinning at the start, great for emptying piles at the end), and when you buy you can overpay and gain 2 actions worth the excess you spent, so $2+$5 will get you a Stonemason and 2 Laboratories, which is also very handy.
e: games with Stonemason end on a 3 pile 41% of the time, apparently.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 17, 2020

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Phelddagrif posted:

You mean between the rulebook and what we did? (I'll use MoC terms rather than PoWS)

- There was no "rent". After the negotiation phase, the investors purchase the properties from the landlords for the agreed-upon price, taking the tile and keeping it in front of themselves.

- The market value, which gets changed by rolling the dice, is not a regular income that the investors get every round by holding the property. Instead, they only get that amount by selling them to the bank, removing that tile from the game. If they choose not to sell a property, hoping that it goes up in value, they can hold it but have to pay a $10k tax.

- Three properties per landlord were auctioned off in the auction phase, meaning we went through the stack faster and the game had fewer rounds. Also, if you won a property, you couldn't bid on the next one.

Basically, rather than the landlords building up a "portfolio" of properties that are collecting rent, they are just buying them at auction and hoping the investors want to pay a higher price next round.

This sounds bizarre. I'd have to try it to say for sure but I think my PoWS rules work just find, thanks!

EDIT: Looks like A Handful of Stars is back in stock in limited quantities. I've had my eye on it for a while but what do people think? Apparently it doesn't shine at 2P and that's the amount we'd be playing at most often. It's also ~$100 CDN. Also, apparently FFG owns the rights to it now, what are the odds on a reprint or it languishing in the dust? And sort of related but unsure if you guys know but Ginkopolis is getting a reprint after all these years.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 17, 2020

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

At the moment I'm really digging the mechanics from Crystal Palace and want a solo game that could scratch that same itch.

There is a solo mode but due to the random dice placement most of the tension evaporates. Tried it and made like 109 points without any real competition from the bot.

So is there a dice placement game that allows me to choose the pips on my dice? Rolling then placing them is not what I'm interested in right now.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Any ideas for putting on game days without having to, you know, be in the same room? What are people’s favorite apps? Favorite websites?

Has anyone tried doing some webcam games? A lot of card games like Magic, Keyforge or even Arkham Horror LCG (without the hidden cards) could be played via Skype without problems. If everyone has a copy, you could probably also play something like Concordia.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Prairie Bus posted:

Any ideas for putting on game days without having to, you know, be in the same room? What are people’s favorite apps? Favorite websites?

Has anyone tried doing some webcam games? A lot of card games like Magic, Keyforge or even Arkham Horror LCG (without the hidden cards) could be played via Skype without problems. If everyone has a copy, you could probably also play something like Concordia.

Tabletop Simulator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Prairie Bus posted:

Boardgamearena offers video and audio for premium members. Sub is $24 a year or $4 a month.